Beware of the Alcohol Salespersons on the Ship

kitty9

Cruises aren't unique. Same thing applies to international flights with connections. You can carry duty-free liquor bought in the "sterile" zone at the airport from which your international flight originates, but only on that flight. If it is a non-stop, you are fine. However, if you connect, you have to put your liquor into your checked baggage after you clear customs and before you turn your luggage back in for the connection. If you don't say good-bye to your booze.

It isn't a violation of international law. There is no international law concerning transport of liquor. Too much liquor (or any, think Saudi Arabia) might be a violation of any given country's customs regulations. Carrying too much liquid aboard airplanes are violations of US (and I understand, EU) security regulations. The two are completely separate.

An adult can carry a couple of quarts (I think) to the US. As long as you are over 21, it is perfectly legal and Customs won't stop you. You've legally imported it. When you don't put it in your checked bag, you've already imported it and it no different than if you bought it at Costco as far as TSA is concerned. No liquids over 3 oz.

I don't make the rules, and I don't defend them. But it pays to know them.

On one cruise? :eek:

Oh yeah...see the "Lost your Seapass" thread. She left several in the slot machines. Lost 1 or 2 in her cabin along with the Whitepass railroad excursion tickets. Traveling with an elderly parent is a different sort of cruise experience. Sorry..O/T. :)

Cruises aren't unique. Same thing applies to international flights with connections. You can carry duty-free liquor bought in the "sterile" zone at the airport from which your international flight originates, but only on that flight. If it is a non-stop, you are fine. However, if you connect, you have to put your liquor into your checked baggage after you clear customs and before you turn your luggage back in for the connection. If you don't say good-bye to your booze.

It isn't a violation of international law. There is no international law concerning transport of liquor. Too much liquor (or any, think Saudi Arabia) might be a violation of any given country's customs regulations. Carrying too much liquid aboard airplanes are violations of US (and I understand, EU) security regulations. The two are completely separate.

An adult can carry a couple of quarts (I think) to the US. As long as you are over 21, it is perfectly legal and Customs won't stop you. You've legally imported it. When you don't put it in your checked bag, you've already imported it and it no different than if you bought it at Costco as far as TSA is concerned. No liquids over 3 oz.

I don't make the rules, and I don't defend them. But it pays to know them.

It's amazing how many people do travel without having a clue and then there are some here who do post their opinion as if fact (and we aren't talking about the RCCL is better then CCL threads) regardless of how incorrect they may be.

In my first post on this thread, I was going to discuss all the mis-truths in a certain post but I figured it was wasting my time so I just stuck with the TSA and figured if anyone could surf around the TSA sight, they could discover the facts for themselves. It is clear by the rules, unlike some other poster stated, that you cannot buy duty free on a cruise ship and carry it on a commercial aircraft in the US...it must be in checked baggage.

However, in the interest of education, here is the link to the info and you are absolutely correct that there is no international law (must keep from laughing here) that the TSA is breaking.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2008/0501.shtm

it has nothing to do with how it is packed of whether or not it is duty free...alcohol is LIQUID and you can't fly in the US unless your liquids are in 3 ounce or less bottles in a one quart ziplock bag!

it doesn't matter if it is encased in concrete....if it's over 3 ounces and is not in a ziplock, it isn't getting on the plane on a flight commencing in the US

seems you are not a big fan of the TSA.....

The exception is if you buy the liquor at a duty free store inside the airport after clearing security. Then you are allowed to carry it onboard with you.

Hate to break up this TSA argument, but I will segway back to alcohol! :D

I have no interest in either bringing alcohol ON or OFF the ship, but I am interested in consuming a great deal while sailing! :)

Can you still buy alcohol in the shop on board for consumption in your cabin or do they hold all alcohol until debarkation?

Thanks!

Hate to break up this TSA argument, but I will segway back to alcohol! :D

I have no interest in either bringing alcohol ON or OFF the ship, but I am interested in consuming a great deal while sailing! :)

Can you still buy alcohol in the shop on board for consumption in your cabin or do they hold all alcohol until debarkation?

Thanks!

I don't think you can. However, we did purchase a bottle of rum (just one and not a large one) while in port in Honduras, and we just carried it back on board, they didn't want to hold it for us.

Here's an interesting note on the liquids and TSA.

The TSA started a program where pilots are authorized to carry firearms called the Federal Flight Deck Office program. Under this program, eligible flight crewmembers are authorized by the Transportation Security Administration to use firearms to defend against an act of criminal violence or air piracy attempting to gain control of an aircraft. A flight crew member may be a pilot, flight engineer or navigator assigned to the flight.

Interestingly enough, these pilots can carry a firearm past security, but they cannot carry any liquids.

I'm always amazed at the (seemingly) intelligent people who just didn't seem to get the memo. There was a gal (maybe late 20's) in front of me at security on my last trip - they pulled out 4-5 full size bottles of shampoo/conditioner/lotion, etc. from her bag. She was not a happy camper as she didn't have time to go back to try to get it in her checked luggage after waiting in the long line.

I, myself, am thrilled that TSA is doing security now rather than airline personnel. Most airlines are now charging $150 EACH WAY for my cat to sit in a little carrier under the seat in front of me - this is usually more than MY seat (and I won't even get into the toddlers who fly free on a lap). The airline employees always wanted to see a ticket for the cat - TSA people couldn't care less.

We live in FL so drove ourselves and had no issues with alcohol, however my experience with buying Rum Cream in Jamaica and checking it in before boarding the ship needs to be shared. I bought 4, 750 ml bottles of Sangsters Rum Cream, when my liquor was delivered to my stateroom, I got 3 bottles of Sangsters Rum Cream and 1 bottle of Old World Banana Rum Cream...what the h*ll?! Good thing I am not allergic to bananas. I noticed the different brand right away, but let it slide, it was not until I removed the register ticket taped around the bottle that I noticed it was banana flavored, SO FYI, check you liquor, b/c what you bought may not be what is delivered to your stateroom!

We just returned from a cruise on Navigator and saw some problems newbie cruisers had on board, problems directly related to the shop that sells the alcohol. This young couple purchased four bottles of alcohol in the shop and were told that they could carry it on the plane because of the "special way they package" the bottles for transport. When our tour group leader saw this couple on the bus heading for the airport, she told them that they would have to put that package in their checked luggage because it wouldn't go through security. This couple insisted that the salesman in the shop assured them that because of how they package their bottles that the security people allow their boxes through. Well, guess what? When the couple got to the front of the security line, they were stopped and told they had to either check that package or leave the bottles there. The tour leader asked a TSA agent if he knew the salespersons in the shops lie to passengers about this and he said "Yes, it happens all the time after cruises. You would not believe how many people come through here each week thinking their bottles are going to get through. They tell them this because if they didn't, they wouldn't sell as much alcohol as they do".

So, don't believe these salespersons if they tell you their booze packages are airline legal.

It's also in the printed information delivered to your stateroom telling you to carry the bottles on, as in before 9/11. Relatives followed the information on a recent cruise and ended up having to paying nearly $100 to check it because it was extra luggage and their luggage had already been checked throught to home from the ship.

I did not realize it was being done on purpose.

It's really easy to forget what is classed as liquids too. On the way back from Mexico, we packed shower gel and shampoo in our hand luggage so we could take a shower when we reached New York. They were confiscated - we completely forgot that they were counted as liquids, so I guess it's easy done.

A couple of years ago, I was about to board my flight and I was looking for a bin to get rid of my half finished coffee. An attendant told me not to worry about it and just bring my drink onboard. That scared me a bit - for the safety of everyone, I don't think they should be willing to bend the rules at all.

Actually TSA is violating international rules. It happened to me as well but they are wrong.

Alcohol purchased on the ship is considered duty free-international purchase and should be carried onboard. That's what the sales man was talking about.

Either the airline provide a post check in for liquor or the passenger is allowed to carry it on the plane.

If TSA would have its way than all duty free alcohol sales after the security check for international flights would seize to exist.

If you fly internationally alcohol is packed in special boxes.

TSA is a private organization hiring a bunch of HS dropouts or retired people. It's an organization which is there to instill fear and give you false security.

In theory perhpas it could be carried aboard when purchased after security at the airport. Haven't shopped duty free shops in a long time at the airport...probably last time was in Melbourne, Australia and that was pre 311 days if I recall correctly.

Once you clear customs after the cruise your duty free purchase is like any you bought at a local store when it comes to going thru security at the airport...TSA is not violating any rules.

If you got some on an international flight, clear customs and immigration have to go back thru secuirity for a local connecting flight the booze are going in your luggage since 311 would apply. I've seen it happen as security.

I am glad to live near Galveston and be able to drive to Florida if I want to spend a few extra hours on the road...so bringing booze back then is easier. Otherwise if I fly First Class to SJU where 3 70lbs bags are allowed without extra charge then I may pack some booze on the flight home. I did do that after Adventure last Summer...in fact I brought back limits or more for all adults in the group, glad we were traveling together.

Good advice; although the practice used to be legal, it isn't any longer. When TSA went down to strict guidelines on how much liquid you could get through security, those special alcohol boxes ceased to be much good.

You'd think everyone would know that by now though. If you can't get a simple water bottle through security, how do you expect to get a box full of alcohol through?

Heck, turns out half the stuff in my purse is liquids by airlines rules. Lipstick? Toothpaste. I then stuffed the rest into a second baggie and was told, nope, you have to have it all in one baggie.

I would have known you cant get anything that big as a bottle of liquor into a baggie!!!!

Havent they relaxed this liquid rule yet?? Heard they were supposed to.

I've flown a LOT since the rules got so restrictive. I read and pay attention. Didn't keep me from leaving the big jar of Nutella that I got in Paris in my carry-on. :(

I'll blame my slip on the fact that I was herding a bunch of teenagers back to the states from our Europe tour, so was busy counting noses.

Still very sad about the Nutella in the trashcan.

As for blaming cruise passengers for not knowing better - these shop people ACT very authoritative, like they KNOW the rules and are helping you. Very easy to believe the earnest person saying that they KNOW what the rules are. Let's cut the cruisers who believed them a little slack.

I've flown a LOT since the rules got so restrictive. I read and pay attention. Didn't keep me from leaving the big jar of Nutella that I got in Paris in my carry-on. :(

I'll blame my slip on the fact that I was herding a bunch of teenagers back to the states from our Europe tour, so was busy counting noses.

Still very sad about the Nutella in the trashcan.

As for blaming cruise passengers for not knowing better - these shop people ACT very authoritative, like they KNOW the rules and are helping you. Very easy to believe the earnest person saying that they KNOW what the rules are. Let's cut the cruisers who believed them a little slack.

No slack here.

Anyone who boards a commercial aircraft KNOWS what's permitted and what isn't. If they don't....then, they deserve what happens. It's called personal responsibility.

Sorry....but, we are all adults here.

To those vulnerable to snake oil salesmen, the onus is on them...not the grifter.

A couple of years ago, I was about to board my flight and I was looking for a bin to get rid of my half finished coffee. An attendant told me not to worry about it and just bring my drink onboard. That scared me a bit - for the safety of everyone, I don't think they should be willing to bend the rules at all.

They weren't bending the rules at all. If you purchased your coffee after you got through security, it's fine to take it on the plane. If you had purchased the coffee before going through security, it would be confiscated.

This happened to a friend of ours although he and his wife were not on a cruise. They were on a land vacation and they bought alcohol that was packed like they pack it for you on the cruise... the salesperson said because of the way the liquor was packed they'd be able to bring it on the plane. They checked their luggage and headed towards the gate and security said they would have to check the alcohol or leave it behind...they had already sent their luggage through so they had to leave it behind...they were pretty mad!

I'm with the group who believes people should trust the TSA and know the rules of flying instead of listening to some booze salesman on a cruise ship. If you are too dense to know that alcohol is a liquid, then you dont need to be consuming anyway. You are stupid enough without it.

We recently went to St. Thomas and actually had 6 bottles in a box, checked it at the airport, no fee either. It arrived safely as I had bubbled wrapped each bottle first. I was wondering if anyone else has done this or knows about this. It was on American Airlines, but not sure if other airlines are letting it thru, and not charging you for a "checked bag".

I saw those bags in the store on Explorer.....pretty darn neat. I would be totally surprised if the bottle's broke inside those things.

Can you tell me if they are reusable????

I don't think so. I had to cut them open to get the bottles out when we got home. The price was only $1.95.

it has nothing to do with how it is packed of whether or not it is duty free...alcohol is LIQUID and you can't fly in the US unless your liquids are in 3 ounce or less bottles in a one quart ziplock bag!

it doesn't matter if it is encased in concrete....if it's over 3 ounces and is not in a ziplock, it isn't getting on the plane on a flight commencing in the US

seems you are not a big fan of the TSA.....

This is not true. You can bring any liquid purshaced in the airport. We just did this in Cancun. the duty free stores in the airport deliver the boxed alcohol to your gate and hand it to you to carry onto the plane. It is only liquid brought to the airport that you cannot bring onto the plane.

No slack here.

Anyone who boards a commercial aircraft KNOWS what's permitted and what isn't. If they don't....then' date=' they deserve what happens. It's called personal responsibility.

Sorry....but, we are all adults here.

To those vulnerable to snake oil salesmen, the onus is on them...not the grifter.[/quote']

I guess you have never been wrong? Never made a mistake? Never trusted anyone?

Get real. I do not think it unreasonable to trust a cruise line employee talking about a subject with which one can reasonably expect them to be familiar. Do you consider everyone selling you something to be a "snake oil salesman"?

I have no problem with expecting people to take personal responsibility for their own actions. That works both ways. I expect people to be honest with me. In fact I demand that they be honest and when they are not I don't give them my custom anymore and I warn others of the dishonesty I've encountered.

In the OP case a cruise line employee misinformed a passenger. An experienced traveler likely would have questioned this lie and probably would not have believed it. However, not every one is an experienced traveler. Not everyone has flown more than once. Not everyone thinks they know everything.

Archived