Start Petition: Should still be able to purchase liquor and bring up to stateroom

Dardreamer

A few years back they stopped this. I feel as a loyal RC customer that it is wrong to discontinue being able to purchase liquor in their store on the ship and bring it up to your room for consumption during the cruise. I know they want you to purchase drinks at their prices and that is how they make a great deal of money, (and it is not like we are smuggling it on - we are paying their price for the liquor plus a $10 fee to do this), but I feel if enough of us banned together to bring back the old tradition, RCI would have to listen. We like to have a cocktail or two on our balcony and having a bottle in your room is convenient and much more economical. It is not being cheap as we are paying $2200 per person for our balcony rooms on the Explorer, but it is a convenience and a savings that they took away from us that should be brought back. Does anyone agree and how can we start a petition to RC to do this.

I feel as a loyal RC customer that it is wrong to discontinue being able to purchase liquor in their store on the ship and bring it up to your room for consumption during the cruise. I know they want you to purchase drinks at their prices and that is how they make a great deal of money, (and it is not like we are smuggling it on - we are paying their price for the liquor plus a $10 fee to do this), but I feel if enough of us banned together to bring back the old tradition, RCI would have to listen. We like to have a cocktail or two on our balcony and having a bottle in your room is convenient and much more economical. It is not being cheap as we are paying $2200 per person for our balcony rooms on the Explorer, but it is a convenience and a savings that they took away from us that should be brought back. Does anyone agree and how can we start a petition to RC to do this.

You haven't been able to buy and bring bottles to your cabin in years. I don't think RCL cares about a petition

But it is easy to buy a bottle of wine or order a few coctails from room service.

That doesn't help when you've just done a RCI excursion to a beautiful Tuscan Vineyard and they take your bottle of wine away from you when you return to the ship :rolleyes:

If they did start allowing it again, and allowing you to bring on a reasonable amount of Wine, they'd get our business back, but not until then will we set foot on an RCI Ship. Lots of others feel the same way.

Which cruiselines allow you to bring wine? I know NCL is very strict about it.

In light of the litigation problems in the resent past (an occasional drunken person falling overboard), it is unlikely that legal would ever go back to a 'bring your own.' Between the liability and lost revenue, it would not make sense. No matter how we may threaten to hold our breaths or change to another line, RC is a unique product that will still have passengers lining up to sail.

At least it helps keep the drunken, disruptive behavior of guests under control - if any one is over-served, Royal Caribbean is responsible, and they must deal with it accordingly. I think this will be the future of cruising.

A few years back they stopped this. I feel as a loyal RC customer that it is wrong to discontinue being able to purchase liquor in their store on the ship and bring it up to your room for consumption during the cruise. I know they want you to purchase drinks at their prices and that is how they make a great deal of money, (and it is not like we are smuggling it on - we are paying their price for the liquor plus a $10 fee to do this), but I feel if enough of us banned together to bring back the old tradition, RCI would have to listen. We like to have a cocktail or two on our balcony and having a bottle in your room is convenient and much more economical. It is not being cheap as we are paying $2200 per person for our balcony rooms on the Explorer, but it is a convenience and a savings that they took away from us that should be brought back. Does anyone agree and how can we start a petition to RC to do this.

GOOD LUCK! A petition is not going to change a thing. RCCL will lose a big chunk of revenue if they allow alcohol to be brought on board. The ships are sailing pretty full so it is not a "Loss of Customer Issue". With the economy the way it is people are doing whatever they can to cut back so they are foregoing the things like spa treatments, excursions, etc. but even when times are bad people drink. They might switch to a house liquor or even go from a mixed drink to beer but people will drink. So back to my point, RCCL will not change the policy and I have to say I don't blame them being a business owner myself.

This guy ( Cruise Junkey) swears never to set foot on a RCL ship. So why is he on this thread?

I'm actually a girl and I would gladly sign a petition to allow either to buy a bottle or take wine on board. Then RCI would get my business back. This is called Cruise Critic, not you're only allowed to post if you never say a bad word about a cruise line.

My first thought is that it may be a good idea to help bring some more business back to a still depressed travel industry. HOWEVER, it also increases the liability on RCI. They lose control of if a customer has had too much to drink and should not be served as well as losing control over underage drinking. I wonder if that would change their insurance and therefore actually increase their costs?

For responsible folks, great idea. But their business is to plan for the other folks as well. Honestly, I can see both sides of this.

I think they lose enough revenue with those people who smuggle their own booze onboard. I believe they stopped this practice in order to generate more bar revenue.

If those who insist on smuggling would stop, no doubt a lot of things on board could be changed to everyone's advantage. Until then, ships are in business to make money. When revenues are down, they'll do what they need to do to make up for it.

Grown-up=the over 60 folks?

The "folks" who don't find it necessary to drink themselves into a coma for a week and become a problem to themselves and those around them.

If the sots would behave as an adult, they'd be treated like adults.

Archived