free or not?

bodget

as its our 1st time with hal.it would be helpful if previous cruises would offer advice on things on the ship that are free but not widely advertised and whats free or charged for compared to other cruise lines,as an example a previous thread mentioned icecream was free this was charged for on star

cheers in advance

bob

After-dinner cappucino in the main dining room is free. You can ask for decaf and/or lowfat.

There is no additional charge for espresso, either, at all meals in dining room.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner you can order cappucino and espresso.

If you purchase a coffee from Explorations Cafe, there are complimentary sweets to select from to have with your coffee.

HAL offers beach towels we can bring ashore without charging our accounts. PLEASE return them to the ship as it natually follows that if people leave them on the beach, they will have no choice but to start charging.

I have not been on HAL for a couple of years.

Do you still get free hors d'oeuvres in the bars before dinner?

What about turn down chocolates on the pillow?

Yes -- you still get chocolates on your pillow at night.

We had some wonderful appetizers on the Noordam -- free -- in the bars before dinner. I wrote some of them down and will post them on my thread when I get a chance.

As promised (NOTE - these were the appetizers on the Noordam -- could vary by cruise and ship)

Dinner Hour Appetizers in the Ocean Bar & Crow’s Nest:

These appetizers were served only at 5 PM:

Bitterballen with mustard sauce

Breaded & fried salmon nuggets

Coconut breaded shrimp

Duck spring rolls with Teriyaki sauce

Meatballs with ginger sweet & sour sauce

Mini crab cakes

Pot stickers with soy garlic dressing

Chicken sate with peanut sauce

Spinach & red pepper pastry swirls

Won Ton sausages with ranch sauce

Vegetarian spring rolls

Crab & Lobster croquette with tangy cilantro sauce

Grilled mini mushroom quesadillas with salsa

These appetizers were served at 7 PM:

Cream cheese wheel with pistachio & apricott on cracker

Bay shrimp with lime herb mayonnaise in tartlet

Bitterballen with mustard sauce

Breaded & fried salmon nuggets

Blue cheese mousse with celery & walnuts

Jumbo prawn with zesty lime cocktail sauce on white toast round

Coconut breaded shrimp

Duck spring rolls with Teriyaki sauce

Baby shrimp salad with mango cilantro in tartlet

Brie cheese on pumpernickel garnished with fruits

Meatballs with ginger sweet & sour sauce

Mini crab cakes

Cherry tomato with Mozzarella & basil on whole wheat bread

Chicken mousse quenelle in tartlet

Pot stickers with soy garlic dressing

Herb cheese pearl in hazelnut crust on whole wheat cracker

Alaska smoked salmon tartar with capers & wasabi mayonnaise

Chicken sate with peanut sauce

Spinach & red pepper pastry swirls

Jumbo prawn with dilled cocktail sauce on crouton

Blue cheese mousse in pumpernickel crust

Won Ton sausages with ranch sauce

Vegetarian spring rolls

Mint rubbed goat cheese on melba toast cracker

Smoked salmon in rosette with horseradish cream on crouton

Crab & Lobster croquette with tangy cilantro sauce

Grilled mini mushroom quesadillas with salsa

Including Dutch high tea once per cruise is at no extra charge.

On Alaska cruises there is free Dutch pea soup served on deck. Free glass of wine at the Captain's toast, some food demonstrations involve a free taste of what is being made.

One thing I would caution against - and frankly I wish HAL would correct this if it is still the practice - they sometimes have cheese tasting in public areas (no charge for cheese and crackers) but waiters circulate in that area with already poured glasses of wine and offer them to passengers, then ask for your card to charge your account.

I saw a number of people accept the wine thinking it was gratis as the cheese was and no one asked "would you like to purchase a glass of wine?" before they took or were handed one. This is especially confusing given that at other times they have free drinks (sparkling wine handed out in the shop area i.e.) and most things you are offered in that fashion are in fact free of charge.

With the notable exception of the above and the first day during meals when you will be asked up to a dozen times if you want to buy a wine card or soda card - and I find this to be mostly a matter of uncharacteristic disorganization since staff roam the whole buffet area instead of dividing up in sections so someone knows who has already been asked - one of the great things about HAL is that they do offer a lot of lovely little perks and do not nickel and dime you to death or "hawk" things for purchase.

Just my two cents, but if HAL would fix those two little things - make sure waiters say clearly would you like to PURCHASE a glass of wine before it is taken or offered if there is a fee and would you like a COMPLIMENTARY glass when there is no fee and get organized so that a dozen different staff people don't ask you a dozen different times the same question about wine and soda cards at the first lunch buffet then they would be a "10" in this area.

Including Dutch high tea once per cruise is at no extra charge.

On Alaska cruises there is free Dutch pea soup served on deck. Free glass of wine at the Captain's toast, some food demonstrations involve a free taste of what is being made.

One thing I would caution against - and frankly I wish HAL would correct this if it is still the practice - they sometimes have cheese tasting in public areas (no charge for cheese and crackers) but waiters circulate in that area with already poured glasses of wine and offer them to passengers, then ask for your card to charge your account.

I saw a number of people accept the wine thinking it was gratis as the cheese was and no one asked "would you like to purchase a glass of wine?" before they took or were handed one. This is especially confusing given that at other times they have free drinks (sparkling wine handed out in the shop area i.e.) and most things you are offered in that fashion are in fact free of charge.

With the notable exception of the above and the first day during meals when you will be asked up to a dozen times if you want to buy a wine card or soda card - and I find this to be mostly a matter of uncharacteristic disorganization since staff roam the whole buffet area instead of dividing up in sections so someone knows who has already been asked - one of the great things about HAL is that they do offer a lot of lovely little perks and do not nickel and dime you to death or "hawk" things for purchase.

Just my two cents, but if HAL would fix those two little things - make sure waiters say clearly would you like to PURCHASE a glass of wine before it is taken or offered if there is a fee and would you like a COMPLIMENTARY glass when there is no fee and get organized so that a dozen different staff people don't ask you a dozen different times the same question about wine and soda cards at the first lunch buffet then they would be a "10" in this area.

Haven't seen one of those cheese events in a long time -- we loved them - especially the fondues.

And we were always aware that you had to purchase the wine.

Absolutely nothing is free. It's either included in the price, or not.

Thank you, Hammybee. I always chuckle from the word 'free'. Nothing on a ship is free...... (nor am I suggesting there should be.) ;)

FREE on this thread seems to mean there will not be an additional charge. Of course, most people pay for their cruise. Although, I have heard of people getting a free cruise, so I guess their drinks they were offered without a charge would truly be free.

Yes -- you still get chocolates on your pillow at night.

We were a little disappointed in the pillow chocolates on the Eurodam. Always the same milk chocolate. On the Grand Princess the year before they had a variety (milk, dark, and white). We would try to guess what kind of chocolate we would get every evening (we prefer dark).

We too prefer dark. We had a little stash of uneaten pillow chocolates. We discovered that one of our table mates had been collecting her pillow chocolates to give to her granddaughter.... and the collection disappeared from her room! So we started consciously collecting ours to give to her, and OUR collection disappeared! That is the first time anything has EVER been taken from our cabin.

So we started consciously collecting ours to give to her, and OUR collection disappeared!

I always put the extra chocolates (the ones DH doesn't eat) into a small zip lock bag that I store in the night stand. We've never had any disappear, but if they did I would not hesitate to ask the steward for replacements.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Archived