To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

Hello all!

My wife and I will be setting sail on the Freedom of the Seas in Sept of this year. This will be our second cruise and we, or I at least, thought it would be fun to really get decked out for our formal nights. I would like to wear a tux and my DW would obviously wear something just as stunning (although she always stunning).

My question is, do people really do this on RCI cruises? I know that there are some more elegant cruise lines out there but we are going on the FOS because we are traveling with friends and family (who some may wear do the same us). Will we feel out of place if we are wearing such formal attire? Will we see many others decked out?

And yes, I am planning on buying a tux for this as I found some that are very reasonable and I will be able to use it again in the future.

Thanks so much!

Hello all!

My wife and I will be setting sail on the Freedom of the Seas in Sept of this year. This will be our second cruise and we, or I at least, thought it would be fun to really get decked out for our formal nights. I would like to wear a tux and my DW would obviously wear something just as stunning (although she always stunning).

My question is, do people really do this on RCI cruises? I know that there are some more elegant cruise lines out there but we are going on the FOS because we are traveling with friends and family (who some may wear do the same us). Will we feel out of place if we are wearing such formal attire? Will we see many others decked out?

And yes, I am planning on buying a tux for this as I found some that are very reasonable and I will be able to use it again in the future.

Thanks so much!

Absolutely. Tuxes are very common. I'd say about 40% of the gentlemen wear tuxes, 40% wear suits, and 20% wear "other" such as sport coats, dress shirts with no coat, etc.

Hello all!

Thanks so much!

We have been on 2 RC cruises, and my husband and both of my sons all wore tuxes to both formal nights. I usually wear a long floor length gown to one, and a shorter dress to the other. It is by no means necessary to get that dressed up, but we certainly don't feel out of place, either. It is fun to get all dressed up! Don't get the chance to do it very often! Put on all the bells and whistles, and enjoy!!

Another vote for the tux.

Hubby brought his and wore it on both formal nights in November, and when our 14-year old son found out Dad was wearing one, he asked if I could get him one so we rented it through RCI. He looked great wearing it, and felt really good getting all dressed up!

Hello all!

Thanks so much!

We will be travelling for 9 weeks, including 24 days on Legend of the Seas, sailing from Singapore to Rome (Civitavecchia).

Obviously, we have to pack light, as we will be visiting several countries (apart from the cruise) and have to comply with airline requirements of 23 Kg checked baggage only. A dress suit or formal attire would take up far too much room and weight.

We had hoped to rent formal wear for DH, from cruise line formal,

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

but we now see that formal wear is only delivered to US addresses. It no longer seems possible to hire and have the clothes waiting for us on board.

We were hoping to avoid lugging a suit or formal wear all over the world.

Can anyone suggest a way around this dilemma? If not, then DH will be wearing a smart shirt with a tie to formal nights.

We will be travelling for 9 weeks, including 24 days on Legend of the Seas, sailing from Singapore to Rome (Civitavecchia).

Obviously, we have to pack light, as we will be visiting several countries (apart from the cruise) and have to comply with airline requirements of 23 Kg checked baggage only. A dress suit or formal attire would take up far too much room and weight.

We had hoped to rent formal wear for DH, from cruise line formal,

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

but we now see that formal wear is only delivered to US addresses. It no longer seems possible to hire and have the clothes waiting for us on board.

We were hoping to avoid lugging a suit or formal wear all over the world.

Can anyone suggest a way around this dilemma? If not, then DH will be wearing a smart shirt with a tie to formal nights.

RCCL handles their own Tux rentals. You can order it here: http://tuxedorentals.rccl.com/tuxedo/tuxrental.nsf

I love to see men in tuxedoes on formal night! My brother always wears his and he looks soooo handsome!

I'm sure you both will look great! Have a great cruise aboard the Freedom. I'll be sailing aboard her Oct. 4 and will be among those who choose to "dress up" for formal night and always enjoy doing do....

Caribbean cruises are less formal then others but you'll find plenty of TUx's but no where near 40% that I've ever seen. On longer cruises and more exotic itinerary s I've seen more men wear a Tux but with the luggage restrictions that seems to be fading too.

We just sailed on AOS. My husband rented his tux through rccl. Very easy. We went to our local Mr Tux to get his measurements and ordered it on line. It was hanging in the closet when we arrrived. And it's true, nothing like a man in tux.

I have rented one for our cruise...NEXT WEEK! :)

Other cruises I always wore a dark suit, but since I have 'expanded' a bit in the past few years, and it saves carrying clothes, I decided to rent a tux.

To answer your question, you will not feel out of place in a tux.

Go ahead and flame me, BUT, I bought my tux about 5 years go and have enjoyed wearing it in the past, however now I think I'll just go with a dark suit. We were on Liberty 3 weeks ago for a Western Carib sailing and I wore my tux for formal nights. I saw very few men wearing them. Certainly less then 10%. Even at the Crown & Anchor reception which are mainly more conservative cruisers tuxedos represented maybe 20% of the attendees.

Maybe the Carib sailing is more casual, maybe airline restrictions on luggage have impacted the practice but I think definitely fewer guys are wearing them on cruises right now.

Its closer to 41.5 %.

If you are going to have family pics taken a tux looks nice. Rent on the ship and it saves packing.

:rolleyes:Where are you coming up with this statistic? I have no opinion one way or the other about a tux, but if I were watching my pennies, renting a tux would be the first thing to go. jmo

My DH wears his tuxedo every formal night; sometimes with a black shirt and tie, sometimes with a pleated front shirt and bow tie; sometimes with straight front tux shirt and tie. Anyway he wears he looks fabulous and I love it.

Kathy:)

DH will wear his tux or white dinner jacket on formal nights. On most cruises he is one of a very few so attired - most men tend to wear suits or sportcoats and ties. On Monarch one passenger asked him what his onboard job was.:rolleyes:

And a fine looking guy he was in Alaska ! Hi Jean hope your doing well. Ruth

Archived