What Not to Wear- Stacy London

Last April, I was on the NCL Gem when What Not to Wear surprised a passenger and filmed an episode on the ship. I met Stacy London and she's more beautiful in person than on TV. And as pax, we were able to attend the filming of the final reveal for the last couple minutes of the show.

I'm just curious if anyone else on these boards was on that same sailing? Anyone? If so, did you run into Stacy on the ship as well? :)

Last April, I was on the NCL Gem when What Not to Wear surprised a passenger and filmed an episode on the ship. I met Stacy London and she's more beautiful in person than on TV. And as pax, we were able to attend the filming of the final reveal for the last couple minutes of the show.

I'm just curious if anyone else on these boards was on that same sailing? Anyone? If so, did you run into Stacy on the ship as well? :)

You lucky girl, you! I really enjoyed that episode. :)

Houndmom- That episode was really good.. I was a little disappointed that Clinton wasn't included. I feel like they are slowly pushing him out of the spotlight on that show.

Jane- That's so awesome you run into Stacy on occasion. Well you're in NYC so I imagine it would happen when you're least expecting it, especially since you seem to be a shopper. I didn't know she liked cats. I like them too but am allergic so I have to keep a distance.

Something about Stacy and Jillian Michaels; I would be afraid of talking to them in person because they can be so harsh on TV.

The thing I get from watching What Not to Wear is that you'll notice is that the harshness is only in the beginning - and with most of these people that is what is needed to make them see that they aren't doing themselves any favors with the way they are dressing OR clinging to an ideal of what they should be, instead of loving the person they are. If you pay attention to the comments, it really is about making the person find the beauty in themselves instead of trying to be someone else (whether it's hiding behind baggy clothes, wearing too tight clothes, waiting until you lose weight, etc).

Houndmom- That episode was really good.. I was a little disappointed that Clinton wasn't included. I feel like they are slowly pushing him out of the spotlight on that show.

But around the same time, Clinton did a solo show of his own--about creating new romance & style for a couple? I want to say it was in Arizona, but this was last year and my memory is fuzzy....

But around the same time, Clinton did a solo show of his own--about creating new romance & style for a couple? I want to say it was in Arizona, but this was last year and my memory is fuzzy....

Oh yeah! I remember that show now.

They both had their own shows at one point too. Stacy had that talk show that aired, but I don't think there were more than 1 or 2 episodes. Clinton did a reality show that was about him gutting and finishing a house he purchased. It wasn't meant to be a long-running show. I think it may have been 1 or 2 episodes also.

Something about Stacy and Jillian Michaels; I would be afraid of talking to them in person because they can be so harsh on TV.

I'd take Stacy over Jillian anyday! My husband and I are regular watchers of "What Not To Wear" and look forward to our Friday night ritual of cocktails and "What Not To Wear". I have learned so much, and am now taking my clothes in for alterations when I need that little extra gap removed, and now "dress my curves". I am now working on "it doesn't have to match", just "go"....

Cheryl

The thing I get from watching What Not to Wear is that you'll notice is that the harshness is only in the beginning - and with most of these people that is what is needed to make them see that they aren't doing themselves any favors with the way they are dressing OR clinging to an ideal of what they should be, instead of loving the person they are. If you pay attention to the comments, it really is about making the person find the beauty in themselves instead of trying to be someone else (whether it's hiding behind baggy clothes, wearing too tight clothes, waiting until you lose weight, etc).

I agree! I have never seen them make fun of anyone's BODY, only the clothes that make their bodies look bad. No matter what the shape of size of the person, they always tell them how pretty they are, pick out their best features and show them how to make them look better. I'd rather have someone do that, than tell me I look great when I really don't! :)

I would love to have a Stacey/Clinton consultation!

they know so much and would be so helpful, but I would like to see a more realistic amount of $$ rather than spending $5000 all in one week.

JMO

I'd like to see them do a show on how to dress your best on any given budget. I'd like to see them take people to Target, Penney's, discount outlets, etc.

I am totallly addicted to this show and DVR every episode. I even watch shows I've already seen! I think they have definitely helped me in choosing clothing and styles that work for me.

I agree that they are very supportive of people no matter their size and shape and are great at making people see their own beauty. I love the humerous and usually oh-so-true comments on all the bad fashion. I am also quite saddened at times at the horrible body image that so many of the younger women have, especially focusing on perceived 'flaws' that no one else can even see.

I wish they'd do a show once in a while taking on an older person. The oldest I've seen was 49--and I've only seen a handful of make-overs of people in their forties. I really struggle with finding appropriate but still cute clothing for my age (63) that isn't dowdy or too young. Hair and especially make-up advice would be great too. I volunteer!

I love most of the clothes they help pick out, though, like many other people, I think the prices are scary. I also sometimes think the styles tend to be very city-oriented, and while, though beautiful, not entirely usable for people in small-town or rural areas.

I'd like to see them do a show on how to dress your best on any given budget. I'd like to see them take people to Target, Penney's, discount outlets, etc.

That's my "gripe". Many of the ladies are not going to be able to continue to buy the type of clothes they did while in NY and many of them don't NEED to.

What they also should do is teach them how to shop for the right kind of clothes in the type of stores that fit their budget. Not all the pieces that they show are really expensive so that shows it can be done. Not everyone needs a $300 pair of trousers to take the kids to soccer.;)

I know the shopping experience in NY is a starting point, but for many, it's not realistic to think they can shop that way all the time.

I always think that for $5,000 I could have a heck of a lot more clothes with the way I shop.... sales, TJ Maxx, Steinmart, etc.:p

I wish they'd do a show once in a while taking on an older person. The oldest I've seen was 49--and I've only seen a handful of make-overs of people in their forties. I really struggle with finding appropriate but still cute clothing for my age (63) that isn't dowdy or too young. Hair and especially make-up advice would be great too. I volunteer!.

When I was in the audience for the filming of the show, Stacy spent quite a bit of time answering questions on fashion, trends and the show. She said she would LOVE to do an episode for women in the age groups of 50s, 60s, etc. She hopes one day that it will be a reality. She didn't specify why the show did not include women of those ages, but I imagine the producers aren't convinced that there's a large enough market for that age bracket.

That's my "gripe". Many of the ladies are not going to be able to continue to buy the type of clothes they did while in NY and many of them don't NEED to.

What they also should do is teach them how to shop for the right kind of clothes in the type of stores that fit their budget. Not all the pieces that they show are really expensive so that shows it can be done. Not everyone needs a $300 pair of trousers to take the kids to soccer.;)

I know the shopping experience in NY is a starting point, but for many, it's not realistic to think they can shop that way all the time.

I always think that for $5,000 I could have a heck of a lot more clothes with the way I shop.... sales, TJ Maxx, Steinmart, etc.:p

I agree that many of those women will not be able to continue shopping with the same type of budgets in the future.

However, the reason that Stacy & Clinton encourage them to invest in more expensive pieces is because they will become staples in a wardrobe. Then they won't need to continue purchasing these items each year because the quality of the item will allow that piece to last them many seasons.

They bring the participants to stores of many different price ranges. Many episodes, there are women shopping in NY&Company, H&M, Filene's Basement and other reasonably priced stores in addition to the more expensive ones. And the inexpensive pieces can be mixed & matched with your "investment pieces" and the participants will be able to replace them as needed.

I agree that many of those women will not be able to continue shopping with the same type of budgets in the future.

However, the reason that Stacy & Clinton encourage them to invest in more expensive pieces is because they will become staples in a wardrobe. Then they won't need to continue purchasing these items each year because the quality of the item will allow that piece to last them many seasons.

They bring the participants to stores of many different price ranges. Many episodes, there are women shopping in NY&Company, H&M, Filene's Basement and other reasonably priced stores in addition to the more expensive ones. And the inexpensive pieces can be mixed & matched with your "investment pieces" and the participants will be able to replace them as needed.

I agree. I also think they want to make a point that it's better to have fewer clothes that are more expensive than to have 2 closets full of things that aren't well made or well fitted and don't look that great. If you were to add up the amounts people probably spent over time on what S & C "trash" (in reality donate) on the show, it's probably close to $5,000 if not more, in most cases....

lIluvmypuggle and cruisemom22,

I know what you're saying and I agree about quality versus quantity but there's still quality out there that is not to the degree that even the "investment" pieces need to be for the everyday person. Some of those woman have a very hard time spending someone else's money since they are not used to it.

Even though they have been in places like Filene's Basement and ALL the pieces they purchase are not high end, I still can't see them going out and purchasing the same quality or price point of the investment pieces they did in NY.

As far as saying I could have lots more for the $5,000, I would not be sacrificing quality for quantity....I just like quantities of quality.:D Stacy always seems to go bananas when someone heads for the sale racks. I recently purchased a $300 silk BCBG cocktail dress for $30.;)

Jane- That's so awesome you run into Stacy on occasion. Well you're in NYC so I imagine it would happen when you're least expecting it, especially since you seem to be a shopper. I didn't know she liked cats. I like them too but am allergic so I have to keep a distance.

Only met her twice, and both times it was at fashion industry parties and we were introduced. I've never run into her while shopping, or anywhere else.

She's a cat lover as well as charitable and quietly raises money to donate to worthy causes.

I agree. They teach the women what works for them in terms of color and silhouette. And while not too many of us can spend $5000. at one time, the women will now have a great wardrobe to build on.

I think it would be a mistake to insist that the women buy only budget priced clothing.

They give them hairstyles too that they may not be able to afford, yet I don't think they should force them to have their hair styled at the local chain salon.

They give them hairstyles too that they may not be able to afford, yet I don't think they should force them to have their hair styled at the local chain salon.

So true. If you get your initial hairstyle at an upscale salon, it's much easier to maintain anyway.

So true. If you get your initial hairstyle at an upscale salon, it's much easier to maintain anyway.

Yes, and take a photo of it when it's freshly done, so it's even easier for someone to duplicate. People are often lousy at descriptions and then are disappointed when a stylist doesn't do what they want.

Archived