What Not to Wear- Stacy London

I think Nick does a great job with what he has left with the hair. Just like the clothes, many of the women are hiding behind long hair or have just let their hair go like the rest of the wardrobe.

As to the long hair, so many of the women think having long hair means not ever having it trimmed. They don't realize that even with long hair you still need to do maintenance and have it at least trimmed occasionally. So by the time Nick gets ahold of them, that's months or years worth of dead or damaged hair, especially since many of them don't seem to mind coloring it, using hair dryers and curling irons, or doing other stuff to it which can damage it. Also, so many of the women seem to think long hair = feminine, which is not necessarily the case. Healthy hair is feminine - whatever the length - if the cut suits her face.

You have a good point which many seem to miss. I have read on the TLC board a post that said Nick hated long hair and that he made this poster mad, that Nick would cut off all of these ladies' "beautiful" long hair- and why did he not cut off Stacy's hair? Why was Stacey "allowed" to have long hair on the show if it was such a no-no?

That has not been true of the shows that I have seen. Like you pointed out, he just wants the woman to have her hair shaped, and the damage cut off. These women always look much better after he gets a hold of them. I have never seen ANY with "beautiful" long hair before he got a hold of them. He normally leaves their hair long, if they want long hair, UNLESS it is severely damaged.

I think Nick usually does a good job with what he has to work with.

Some people just won't cut off their long hair and he has to work

with that. There is quite a difference in long, ugly, dry, split end hair

than in Stacy's long beautiful, shiney hair.

Most of the women are so unbelieveably different that it is amazing.

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to look better.:rolleyes:

I wish they would have some ladies on the show that are between

55 and 65. Would love to watch that show.

My sister gave me Carmindy's book for Christmas last year. It's very good. It goes over the "5 minute face" and also shows you how to do makeup for special occasions, like vacation or wedding. It explains makeup for different ages (20's, 30's, 40's, 50's) and different coloring. At the end of the book, it lists an expensive and a cheap version of the makeup she recommends. I've bought a couple of things from her list.

It's not a personal consultation with Carmindy but it's still very helpful. :)

I didn't realize that women aging gracefully (over 40 :-}) weren't part of those made over on the show. If someone has horrible & dried out hair it needs to be cut off. I love having long hair & the flexibility it gives me style wise. I could never give someone permission to do as the pleased with my hair. I did see them in Ann Taylor recently, which made me very happy. I love shopping the sale racks at Ann Taylor.

I didn't realize that women aging gracefully (over 40 :-}) weren't part of those made over on the show. If someone has horrible & dried out hair it needs to be cut off. I love having long hair & the flexibility it gives me style wise. I could never give someone permission to do as the pleased with my hair. I did see them in Ann Taylor recently, which made me very happy. I love shopping the sale racks at Ann Taylor.

Do you find the skirts and dresses at Ann Taylor to be too short? I love the styles, but unfortunately they are too short (or my knees are too old!)

Pleeeeze tell me that at 5'4" and 115 pounds I don't have to start wearing Old Lady Clothes just because I'm 50! :eek:

Do you find the skirts and dresses at Ann Taylor to be too short? I love the styles, but unfortunately they are too short (or my knees are too old!)

It's not just Ann Taylor. I'm looking for dresses right now and they are all 60's-style short or maxi-long.

I'm 41 and size 4. Skirts that hit just below or just above the knees work best on me but I can't any. Help!

Ladies, here's an update on Bella. We're officially filling out the adoption papers tomorrow. Her & Duke are getting along pretty well so far. They're still feeling each other out but both of them seem happy. So we're all excited! Here's a much better picture of Bella than the last one I posted. And she's also a puggle, although she looks much better than Duke as she's all black & half his size weighing in at 19 lbs.

Bella.jpg.11b05a2621d100b9219c6524662684b7.jpg

It's not just Ann Taylor. I'm looking for dresses right now and they are all 60's-style short or maxi-long.

I'm 41 and size 4. Skirts that hit just below or just above the knees work best on me but I can't any. Help!

Are you tall? Because I'm 5'5" and find most "knee length" skirts to be too long for me. I seem to find a lot of weird lengths....I love dresses and will wear sundresses all summer long--throw on a sweater or jacket for work and take it off for the drive home. I have some knit dresses that are great for weekends. All of mine seem to hit at or below the knee. Maybe you just need to try new brands? (or, you are a lot taller than I am:p)

I am 35 and don't wear Ann Taylor. Get lots of my work clothing from Talbots, but they also have cute weekend stuff. And GREAT sales.

Tell us more about your style or what kind of dresses you're looking for and maybe we can suggest some stores/brands with the length skirt you want.

Hi Hoyaheel,

I'm 5'6". I'm looking for summery resort-wear dresses or sundresses for an upcoming vacation. All the sundresses seem to be ankle-length! :eek: That looks cute on someone who under 25 but looks silly on me.

I did find a cute dress at American Eagle Outfitters that I'm going to wear as a swim suit cover up. But I need dresses to wear to dinner. It seems like the women on What Not to Wear always find beautiful dresses. I wish I knew where they found them.

Where do you find yours?

It is **bugging me**!! I am 51 and size 6, and don't want to look like I'm trying to be a teenager, nor do I want to look ten years older than I am! :mad: Grrr!

And it isn't like I am tall -- I'm only 5'4". On a taller person those skirts would be REALLY short!

I have found some things I like at Ross and TJ Maxx, but those are probably last season's items.

Ladies, here's an update on Bella. We're officially filling out the adoption papers tomorrow. Her & Duke are getting along pretty well so far. They're still feeling each other out but both of them seem happy. So we're all excited! Here's a much better picture of Bella than the last one I posted. And she's also a puggle, although she looks much better than Duke as she's all black & half his size weighing in at 19 lbs.

AWWWWW... look at her cute little white toesies! Adorable little girl! :)

AWWWWW... look at her cute little white toesies! Adorable little girl! :)

Thanks for the compliment. She's starting to become affectionate with us; it's clear she's never had any family that showed her affection.

And ladies, thank you for noticing the red color. That's actually just temporary because it's for our electric fence(and no we're not cruel- we just don't want our dogs getting brave enough to leave & get hit by a car). But since you all mentioned that you liked it, I think I'll go out & get her a real collar that's red. So thanks for the suggestion!

OK CruisinCrow, you said resort wear, sundresses & dinner--so I'll ignore formal dresses. For starters, juniors and any brand that is geared toward younger women is going to have shorter skirts (that's my personal experience at least)

New York & Co is a frequently used store on WNTW (although somewhat youngish) and they have some cute dresses. I especially like the cotton eyelet dress:

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/sub_category.jsp?selectedHowMany=16&categoryId=cat60070&viewAll=true&featureId=&selectedSortBy=marketingPriority

Love this one from Talbots, it's new but if it stays around for any time, it'll go on sale. It's 23" from the waist:

http://www1.talbots.com/talbotsonline/product/itempage.aspx?item=D66986&PFID=2903&BID=&h=M&sk=M

THis one is 24" from the waist: http://www1.talbots.com/talbotsonline/product/itempage.aspx?item=E92986&h=M&sk=M

If you like a traditional "American" look a la Ralph Lauren, you can find that style at multiple price points, from Ralph Lauren at Neiman Marcus & Nordstrom, to Lauren at Macys or Nordstrom, to Chaps at Kohls, or the knock off American Living at JC Penneys. http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=55617&CatID=55641&GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=157922d&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=55617%7c55619&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=2&CmCatId=55617|55619|55641

If you prefer a different vibe, the DVF wrap dresses come in various lengths. THis one looks like a great length: 0475511726006R__ASTL_300x400.jpg If this is a style you like but the budget is too high (this is a silk jersey dress from Saks at $365) let us know and we can try to find the style in a different store.

Considering that the models who show these dresses are several inches taller than I am--and the dresses are at or just above the knee--you can see why I say I have problems finding a dress that is short enough:cool: My seamstress primarily does hems for me:p

When I was in Nordstrom last spring they had a section with DVF wrap dresses & the salesperson told me they were the lastest style of summer dresses. I had to smile to myself as the original style of DVF dresses are definitely older than the salesperson. Great style transcends time & generations.

I love wrap dresses--they go with my body type perfectly and they're great for work+. Someday I'll have a DVF silk jersey dress, but I haven't gotten there yet......I haven't liked any of the patterns the past couple years enough to spend that kind of money though--when I buy one, I want something sort of neutral so I can wear it forever and ever without getting sick of the pattern:p

Wow, Hoyaheel, thanks for all the research! I like the purple ruched dress at NY & Co. And the American Living pink dress is cute too and affordable. I will have to check those out. My main problem with JCPenney is that they rarely have things in size 4. Everything seems to be size 6 and up.

After watching WNTW, I've learned not to shop in Juniors. And I've also learned that I can have some things altered. Just bought a cute pair of capris that are too long so I'm going to get those hemmed up. I may even have to buy one of the maxi-dresses and have it cut off to knee length. :)

Thanks again.

I love to research. It's what I do for a living, though researching clothing is more fun:p I'm not really shopping for anything for myself right now, so if I can "window" shop for others, it fills a need in me:D

I thought I'd give you on update on my search for dresses that aren't too long or too short.

Thanks to Hoyaheel's research, I went to NY&Co and got this:

07445736_655?$cat$

It's cute and the knee-length is appropriate for my 41-year-old bod. Thanks, Hoyaheel!

I thought I'd give you on update on my search for dresses that aren't too long or too short.

Thanks to Hoyaheel's research, I went to NY&Co and got this:

07445736_655?$cat$

It's cute and the knee-length is appropriate for my 41-year-old bod. Thanks, Hoyaheel!

Very cute dress! Looks really comfortable too:)

• 2 weeks later...

The" What not to wear show "filmed on the NCL Gem was on again last night. I love that show and I had seen the post previously about being on that cruise. Enjoyed seeing the ship and of course Stacy's tips. I agree they always find such cute dresses. I always find it difficult to find age appropriate clothes for me. Lengths and styles seem to be for younger women.

The" What not to wear show "filmed on the NCL Gem was on again last night. I love that show and I had seen the post previously about being on that cruise. Enjoyed seeing the ship and of course Stacy's tips. I agree they always find such cute dresses. I always find it difficult to find age appropriate clothes for me. Lengths and styles seem to be for younger women.

I just got through watching this episode too! (I DVR all the WNTW episodes.) I was so excited to see the show that started this whole thread. As usual, they do a fantastic job of finding cute, appropriate clothes.

It was fun to see a NCL ship since we're going on the Jewel in two weeks and have never sailed NCL before.

Archived