I Don't Think it is Rude........

sail7seas

Sail, I have never thought once that quoting someone's exact quote was rude. To be honest, it is practical many times. Considering some of these threads take on a life of their own with 600+ posts, quoting can sometimes be necessary if you need to get back to someones point 3 pages past that might not have been answered in all the back and forth.

To me, posting with a reference quote is actually far more proper and helpful. It keeps other posters from having to look back and forth to find the post to which you are referring. :)

:confused:The other day I read in one of the threads that a poster said it is rude to 'quote' a previous post when giving a response. I was confused as to why they thought it rude but didn't want to bring it up in that thread as I was afraid that person would think I was being rude to them. :eek:

So, I waited and here is my question:

If a poster writes something and I wish to comment about what they have said, and possibly there are intervening posts between that one and where I will be writing my response, isn't it confusing to NOT specify to what I am replying and about what I am commenting?

I've been 'spoken to' in the past on occassion when I have forgotten to include the quote of the post to which I was replying.

What is rude about it?

Thanks.

There is nothing rude about quoting a person.

Like you -- I disappear for awhile -- come back -- want to make a response -- but there may be several other posts in between -- and I want that certain poster to know that I am "talking" to him/her.

Perhaps the person was referring to the practice of quoting someone, then not addressing what was quoted?

For instance, say the OP writes about trays in the Lido and gives his/her feelings on the matter. A few more people give their opinions.

Then along comes a poster who quotes the OP, but he/she does not address a single point the OP made. So why bother quoting? I think that can be annoying.

People who use the quote button appropriately are those who wish to specifically address something someone said.

Just because someone posts something, doesn't necessarily make it so. Sail, I would have given it a second thought.

The problems with quoting come when the quote is not cut down to the pertinent part, or that people quote without using the "quote" function (so you're not sure it is even a quote at first). Or they answer within the quote, especially without making it clear which is which. Or when a poster quotes from a reply, which had an earlier quote, and edits in such a way that it is credited to the wrong poster.

In other words, quoting is fine, and part of the CC culture. What's important is that it be done correctly.

Regarding snipping, I've been taken to task on doing that, even when I make a note that I removed non-applicable text. Some people prefer that you include their entire text (even when they wrote a novella!) and highlight the specific text to which you are responding in red because they believe that unless their entire text is included, the snippet can be taken out of context.

I've been on the web, since its inception, in 1993 (don't bother telling me that the internet began in 1969. It did, but the web didn't appear until 1993. The two are NOT synonymous.). Back then, everyone had dialup connections, and even large organizations had what today would be considered woefully slow internet connections.

Back then, the worst violation of "netiquette" one could commit on the web (or the internet for that matter), was "wasting bandwidth". One of the surest ways to have your pants flamed off was to quote a very long post or e-mail, without snipping, and then add a one-line response.

This is the reason for all the emoticons and shorthand abbreviations, like UR for "you are", DW for "dear wife", etc.

How far we have come....

Paul (who always snips long quotes. If you don't like it, tough) Noble

May I quote you on that?;)

Thats a good one *LOL* :)

Actually I just wanted to say I liked your quote by Joe E. Lewis . I am an old movie and TV nut and sadly Lewis is not that remembered anymore.

He had a lot of great quotes and one liners almost all of them revolved around drinking (His Schtick in comedy)

....In other words, quoting is fine, and part of the CC culture. What's important is that it be done correctly.

I agree completely. Quoting adds clarity to many responses. Just when you want to say "what the heck is this all about" you read the quoted post & it all makes sense. But I think it's important to snip/edit in such a way that you retain the essence of the quoted remarks. Sometimes cutting/pasting can change the entire meaning & intent of the original post. I usually "preview" before I "submit" just to make sure that nothing got lost in translation. ;);)

I would say what the person might have really meant is that they found it annoying, rather than rude. There is absolutely nothing rude about it. Sometimes when you are scrolling through posts, you might find it annoying to keep seeing people who quote the entire post. I would say just quoting one sentence would give everyone the idea what you are referring to. It should be amongst people's "pet peeves" possibly, which we all have our own thoughts on, but there is nothing rude about it.

I like to use an ellipsis before and/or after the snipped part to indicate "words omitted" - as I have just done. :)[/b]

I prefer this method also, but I usually just refer to them as "dots!" :D

(And, if I hadn't "quoted" here, would anyone have ANY idea which post to which I was making reference?)

(And, if I hadn't "quoted" here, would anyone have ANY idea which post to which I was making reference?)

No, and then they would be forced to think you were being rude about something else.;)

.....:)

Actually I just wanted to say I liked your quote by Joe E. Lewis . I am an old movie and TV nut and sadly Lewis is not that remembered anymore.

He had a lot of great quotes and one liners almost all of them revolved around drinking (His Schtick in comedy)

Yes, that's an era long gone, isn't it? I'm definitely into drinking:D "You're not drunk enough if you can still lie on the floor without hanging on".

Yes, that's an era long gone, isn't it? I'm definitely into drinking:D "You're not drunk enough if you can still lie on the floor without hanging on".

Those were the good old days :)

"I was walking down Broadway and saw a big neon sign that said "DRINK CANADA DRY".......So I flew up to Toronto and did just that" *LOL*

Those were the good old days :)

"I was walking down Broadway and saw a big neon sign that said "DRINK CANADA DRY".......So I flew up to Toronto and did just that" *LOL*

That's one I hadn't heard, & I love it!:D

(Maybe I need to get out more?)

Have to agree with Sail and the others who have posted here. If anything - it's polite to quote the post that you are responding to. Especially when there are numerous posts in between, it cuts down on confusion.

See.....

EXACTLY what Lisa just wrote is what happened here.

I was specifically responding to Serene's post and Lisa posted between Serene's and Mine.

So, reading mine..... to whom was I responding? :D

If it's not proper to quote, then why does CC make the quote function available ... and carry a big button to boot?

Not only is it NOT rude, it is most helpful to all readers and even the poster being quoted.

So much so that CC not only includes the 'Quote' button but also a 'Multiple Quote' button. ;)

If someone thinks it "rude" to be quoted then perhaps it is something they are ashamed of having written in the first place ?? :confused:

I go the extra step of deleting the extra line returns in the original quotes to cut down on unnecessary scrolling for future readers. :cool:

Throughout history the quoting of someone has been the highest complement. :)

:confused:The other day I read in one of the threads that a poster said it is rude to 'quote' a previous post when giving a response. I was confused as to why they thought it rude but didn't want to bring it up in that thread as I was afraid that person would think I was being rude to them. :eek:

So, I waited and here is my question:

If a poster writes something and I wish to comment about what they have said, and possibly there are intervening posts between that one and where I will be writing my response, isn't it confusing to NOT specify to what I am replying and about what I am commenting?

I've been 'spoken to' in the past on occassion when I have forgotten to include the quote of the post to which I was replying.

What is rude about it?

Thanks.

I agree and I have seen this comment before. I add the quote so the person reading knows who and what I am responding too.

Btw, I think the issue may be with some people who do not have cable and may have difficulty pulling the thread. I recall a post over a year ago saying it was taking someone too long to get to the bottom of the thread.

I prefer this method also, but I usually just refer to them as "dots!" :D

Point taken. :) Good example.

Btw, I think the issue may be with some people who do not have cable and may have difficulty pulling the thread. I recall a post over a year ago saying it was taking someone too long to get to the bottom of the thread.
If the issue is due to dial-up (does anyone really still have this?) or low-speed DSL, then the problem could really be with all the past cruises, photos, and countdown clocks that people attach in their sigs.

If anyone has problems with page loading speed, you can turn the sigs off. To do that go click the down arrow next to QUICK LINKS in the user bar above then click EDIT OPTIONS. About 1/2 way down the page, there is a header THREAD DISPLAY OPTIONS. You can uncheck the boxes next to SIGNATURE, AVATARS, and IMAGES so you don't have to see those items. It will make the pages load MUCH faster if you don't have cable or DSL.

If the issue is due to dial-up (does anyone really still have this?) or low-speed DSL, then the problem could really be with all the past cruises, photos, and countdown clocks that people attach in their sigs.

If anyone has problems with page loading speed, you can turn the sigs off. To do that go click the down arrow next to QUICK LINKS in the user bar above then click EDIT OPTIONS. About 1/2 way down the page, there is a header THREAD DISPLAY OPTIONS. You can uncheck the boxes next to SIGNATURE, AVATARS, and IMAGES so you don't have to see those items. It will make the pages load MUCH faster if you don't have cable or DSL.

OMG ! som1 jst posted OT !

& w/o pix or :)'s

Thnx :D

PS: who would dare snip R. Rabbit ?? :eek:

Archived