Royal Champions

Admin

If you live in Denver (or Colorado) you have a lovely city and state. We had a wonderful time. I grew up in Minnesota and lived in Chicago so having been in Texas now for ten years we were actually hoping for snow during our Denver trip also. But that 60's-70's sunshine was wonderful!

Have a fun week off!

Colleen

It is a lovely city except it is way way too far from water. We haven't really had a winter this year and I have been so worried that we would be completely snowbound as we try to get out to Galveston. But it looks like the weather will hold. My luck we'll return to 2 foot of the white stuff. March and April being our snowiest months:eek:

Is this one of the responsibilities of a "RC"? Taking down names of members that posted something negative, then pronouncing they have no credibility? Seems rather high handed. I can't imagine this was Royal Caribbean's intent when they created the RC program.

I for one take offense to the statement. I will continue to post my experiences regarding Royal Caribbean and other lines, and it might not all be positive. I certainly don't expect my name to appear on some "list" because of it.

If Royal Caribbean keeps the RC program I think they are making a mistake. Someone posted earlier that any publicity is good publicity and that the RC program is serving it's purpose by generating interest. I don't agree. For a Hollywood celebrity that might be the case for not for a travel company. I love Royal Caribbean, but they can't afford bad publicity right now. The stock is in the toilet, investor confidence is down, debt is through the roof, and yields are way down. What Royal Caribbean needs is positive publicity. This viral marketing strategy has backfired right in their face and I think it's done more harm then good. No offense to the RC's who did not solicit this. I think right now the best thing for Royal Caribbean and Cruise Critic is to put this behind them and move on. RC's will continue to be advocates for the brand with or without the title.

Ernie

Ernie............I left out one word in my statement of last night.

"If........what has been reported by this one media person.........is true..........I will be the first to let RCCL know that I'm not a Royal Champion.

However.......if this proves not to be true...........a tremendous amount of energy has been put forth for nothing..........and I will have all of the negative posters names........and they will have no credibility "to me" on CC."

I'm one person..........who believes that not everything in the media is told correctly.

My apologies.

Rick

I believe it was the comments by RCCL Marketing that attracted the press. I know they are what caught my interest. It was RCCL's description of the program that brought interest and controversy, not the Royal Champions.

Yes, it was RCL tooting their own horn about this great "program" and then some press about it and then some CCers asked questions and then the censorship on CC about said questions. Most folks aren't blaming RC's or taking any personal stance toward RC's whatsoever. RC's were attacked by some and their posts were deleted. I have been attacked by some and the posts were deleted. Many on CC have been attacked by some and the posts were deleted.

We are beyond that. We are discussing the "Program". I know it is now called "Viral". But "programming" ones brain to like/dislike something is a term used when I was growing up in the 50's-70's. The new medium then vs the computers of now was Television. Why do you think they called them Television "Programs"?

*gigglesnort* :p

It's helpful if you quote the post you're laughing at so you don't look like you've gone round the bend.:D

Is RCCL stating that Ms. Hancock's comments to that conference were reported falsely? If so, that would be an important correction. Will they provide the comments she actually made?

At some point I imagine others at the conference will speak up. It seems within the marketing community RCCL was most pleased with the results. What results? Driving off unfavorable posters?

I agree with Swaldos last post. As a new poster...but as a long time reader..the dynamic here has changed. There is increased intolerance from posters for opinions unfavorable to RCCL. There is more pack mentality...follow the CHAMP leader...and fawning that appears to be "try-outs" for this program. It takes a lot for a poster to stand up to this and be a participant here.

This website is a valuable resource. But it must not foster a two tier system where some commenters are bullied away by Brand enthusiasts and those trying to be deemed "CHAMPS."

We accept and respect everything you say...but that does not deal with the collateral damage of this type of program.

You know my thoughts on that, but they're buried a dozen pages back now. I don't think the RC program has had anything to do with the increased lack of civility on CC - take a look at what the Princess and Azamara folks do when you dare to criticize anything about your cruising experience.

I've never thought (nor have I indicated here in any of my posts) of these invites as a reward for a "positive" review. From what I've seen personally, I know there are at least a couple of RCs that have been objective in their comments or advice regarding Royal Caribbean. I think these fine folks are helpful and even an asset to the board. Others? Not so much, and I think they're abrasive to boot. At any rate, I do recognize that <insert perk here> is simply a bone that Royal Caribbean has sought fit to toss. I would not fault one of the RCs for accepting it. They have their own moral compass, and it's not my place to judge them.

I do still think an invitation to a pre-inaugural is an incentive. It has tangible value, even if it does sound like a nightmare to be stuck on an enormous ship filled with possibly-intoxicated travel agents.

Nothing potential about that intoxication, LOL. But something can't be an incentive if it's offered after the act for which it is given was performed, with no prior knowledge by the actor that it would happen.

Now, the thought that a future cruise may be offered may well influence some. I think that a lot of the indignation you see from us RCs is that we don't think that our posting habits have changed since become the Defenders of RCI (sarcasm here). If that was RCI's intention, well, it didn't work. I can't get upset with them for trying. Perhaps I'm just too cynical.

Yes, you are all telling the truth. You post as always. You made no commitment to change. There was no APPARENT "tit-for-tat." There were no "bribes."

Your integrity is NOT, I repeat, NOT at question.

The Marketing scheme is in question. If, indeed, Ms. Hancock was quoted correctly...and it was in quotes...and presented in a favorable way to RCCL....the intent of RCCL eas to create a class of Champs that rccl"would subtly influence WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE....so that you would influence the rest of us.

Marketing is a study of human behavior. Posters here were unknowing Lab rats in this experiment. The giving of a few free cruises, party invitations, special status...made some others react in the way they thought would get them chosen.

Perhaps others became more intense in their loyalty...less tolerant of negative opinions.

All reacted to this virus in ways we are still understanding. But it was manipulation.

IT IS NOT ABOUT CHAMP INTEGRITY.

Please.

i have one request. please deal in facts and not hearsay or inuendo.

there was one 2 night preinaugural, one request to evaluate a website called royal connections, what our dream cruise would be and the oasis media event in nyc. that's what i was involved in.

when you say free cruises and free party invitations, it creates a hostile environment to a degree.

what you need to understand is the rc were attacked, really attacked before this thread was started. then everything that was posted seemed to attack our integrity.

everyone was posting we could not be believed almost to the point it seemed some wanted us banned from the board.

keep it factual and not strident as some posts were and there could be a dialogue.

I joined CC because I was interested in cruising. I've stayed on the boards because there is some really useful information about the ships,ports and excursions I have been or am currently interested in. I've met a couple of people form these boards and gained friends that while I don't get to see, I chat with all the time. A few are RC's, most are not. Personally, I could not care any less about what kind of perk a RC may get or not. I read my reviews form the main cruise critic site. I make a decision based on my preferences. A negative review gets the same kind of attention that a positive review does. I cruise based on my likes or dislikes, not a review that basically said the ship was perfect, the cruise was perfect and the food was perfect.(I've never read a review like that). Neither do I give much credence to reviews that villify everything from the room steward to the peeling paint on the middle rail on the aft pool deck. 50 or so people, even if they lied about every review or opinion they've posted, would not cause me to doubt the validity of every review I read thereafter. I sincerely doubt that they have that kind of time on their hands. And even if they did, it wouldn't matter to me. I'm a firm believer in a cruise is what you make it. I could never base all my travel plans based on someone elses opinion. I'm going to go because I need to get away on a vacation, preferabl where I cannot be reached by phone.:)

Tenisha.................Thank you for bringing light to the end of this tunnel.

Here is someone............who sincerely loves CC........and gained knowledge from the postings here.

And............folks, this is what Royal Caribbean is looking for in the way of a poster............that could be invited ........sometime in the future.....to become the next wave of RC"s.

Honest posting!!! True facts!!

Thanks Tenisha!!:)

Rick

It is a lovely city except it is way way too far from water. We haven't really had a winter this year and I have been so worried that we would be completely snowbound as we try to get out to Galveston. But it looks like the weather will hold. My luck we'll return to 2 foot of the white stuff. March and April being our snowiest months:eek:

Hey, are you cruising out of Galveston on Royal Caribbean or Carnival? We sailed the Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston a couple months ago over New Years Eve and a month before we sailed her out of Barcelona in Italy for a week over Thanksgiving. If you are going on the Carnival Conquest, we sailed her out of Galveston over Thanksgiving in 2007.

Living in the Dallas/Ft.Worth suburbs sailing out of Galveston with the family is drivable (therefore cheaper with no air). We love the Voyager but we need a Royal Caribbean Ship FULL-TIME out of Galveston.

Royal Caribbean, I figure if you are reading any Threads on CC now you are reading this one, so...................PLEASE give us a ship Full time out of Galveston. I know so many people who have never cruised before living here in North Texas who I am talking into to trying to cruise. Target them here in Texas and give us our own ship!!!

Hey, and when I get some new cruisers for you (as I frequently have) I won't even ask for any freebies!!!! But I sure would like 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, are you cruising out of Galveston on Royal Caribbean or Carnival? We sailed the Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston a couple months ago over New Years Eve and a month before we sailed her out of Barcelona in Italy for a week over Thanksgiving. If you are going on the Carnival Conquest, we sailed her out of Galveston over Thanksgiving in 2007.

Living in the Dallas/Ft.Worth suburbs sailing out of Galveston with the family is drivable (therefore cheaper with no air). We love the Voyager but we need a Royal Caribbean Ship FULL-TIME out of Galveston.

Royal Caribbean, I figure if you are reading any Threads on CC now you are reading this one, so...................PLEASE give us a ship Full time out of Galveston. I know so many people who have never cruised before living here in North Texas who I am talking into to trying to cruise. Target them here in Texas and give us our own ship!!!

Hey, and when I get some new cruisers for you (as I frequently have) I won't even ask for any freebies!!!! But I sure would like 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a Denver girl myself, I appreciate someone feeling like we're too far away from the water...however, maybe you guys can start a new thread to discuss this? Thanks!

On the Conquest. My second cruise in recent memory (the earlier ones go back about 40 years) and everyone else's first cruise. I wish we lived so near to the sea- I suspect I could become a dedicated cruiser. Did you love Barcelona? We spent about 2 weeks there last fall- and wandering up the coast nearly into France. It is a wonderful city and the countryside was lovely.

. I know it is now called "Viral". But "programming" ones brain to like/dislike something is a term used when I was growing up in the 50's-70's. The new medium then vs the computers of now was Television. Why do you think they called them Television "Programs"?

I am so dense sometimes (others have called it gullible, or country bumpkin naive) -- I never even thought about that! I never thought Santa Clause could turn good children into bad, either. Never thought about the power of Santa Clause for anything but good, before.

On the Conquest. My second cruise in recent memory (the earlier ones go back about 40 years) and everyone else's first cruise. I wish we lived so near to the sea- I suspect I could become a dedicated cruiser. Did you love Barcelona? We spent about 2 weeks there last fall- and wandering up the coast nearly into France. It is a wonderful city and the countryside was lovely.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED our trip on the Voyager out of Barcelona RT. It was only a week so it was Port Intensive. You got up every morning and saw a beautiful and new city in the south of France or Italy every day. Barcelona was beautiful.

You will have a blast on the Conquest. I know we are on the Royal Caribbean Boards and so many put down Carnival. I have sailed mainly RCL but had so much fun on the Conquest. I hope you have GREAT, warm, sunny weather on your cruise.

We have been scolded by the Admins for talking Denver so we better keep ON TOPIC.

So now folks.......back to your regularly scheduled programming................LOL!

As a Denver girl myself, I appreciate someone feeling like we're too far away from the water...however, maybe you guys can start a new thread to discuss this? Thanks!

Seriously trying to lighten things up just a bit and remind people that civil communications can take place even in the middle of a battle. And I too am happy to hear about folks who think that humans should not live this far from water- it is unhealthy and probably illegal. :rolleyes:But now I will stop and turn to the issue at hand. Except I am frankly too tired tonight to post another civil and intelligent thought.

Okay, Okay, I know we were off topic, sorry. Back to the topic at hand....now where were we?

[/color]

I am so dense sometimes (others have called it gullible, or country bumpkin naive) -- I never even thought about that! I never thought Santa Clause could turn good children into bad, either. Never thought about the power of Santa Clause for anything but good, before.

Sadly, Santa Clause can change behavior in whatever way he wants if he puts enough effort into it. Works much better than punishment in fact, although as a parent I don't always believe it.

Seriously trying to lighten things up just a bit and remind people that civil communications can take place even in the middle of a battle. And I too am happy to hear about folks who think that humans should not live this far from water- it is unhealthy and probably illegal. :rolleyes:But now I will stop and turn to the issue at hand. Except I am frankly too tired tonight to post another civil and intelligent thought.

Goodnight 5waldos.

Okay, Okay, I know we were off topic, sorry. Back to the topic at hand....now where were we?
I just don't want your topic to get lost here. ;)

I just don't want your topic to get lost here. ;)

Naw, it wasn't really a topic so much as back and forth among new friends discussing cruising. Isn't that what Cruise Critic is all about? Besides, I was gone for 4 days and the "Sticky" I thought would dissipate has now officially got a "Life of Its Own"! Surprise, Surprise!

Tenisha.................Thank you for bringing light to the end of this tunnel.

Here is someone............who sincerely loves CC........and gained knowledge from the postings here.

And............folks, this is what Royal Caribbean is looking for in the way of a poster............that could be invited ........sometime in the future.....to become the next wave of RC"s.

Honest posting!!! True facts!!

Thanks Tenisha!!:)

Rick

Thank You:o

I just thought that this thread was getting away from the purpose of these boards. While I can understand that some people may be upset if the supposed accusations were true, however there is no proof that it is. To suggest that the usefulness and validity of future reviews are forever in doubt due to the accusations is a little over the top, IMHO. However, verbally abusing people based on unfounded accusations is just as damaging to the board. Hopefully we can all get back to planning(and obsessing over:p) our future cruises.

I would add that I think the best course of action for the Admins and owners of this site (tripadvisor and expedia) should undertake some swift measures to create more transparency and develop policies that prevent fake tourists, fake posts, and users with an agenda.

Cruise Critic, please pay attention, because I've already started looking for alternative forums to get unbiased information. If you take measures to restore integrity to the site, I will likely stick around for years to come. But the more of this fake posting that I discover, and the more cliquey the site becomes, the less likley it is I'll stay.

Well said Alpha - let CC adopt the guidelines from Tripadvisor !!

I will post no longer on this thread. You won't accept the truth...........in fact, some of you can't stand the truth.

Who's fault is that Patti (& Jim) - maybe you should direct some comments to RCI afterall they got you into this sorry mess !!

I can tell you that whenever a new situation arises that isn't covered by our community guidelines we review them and determine if we need to make some changes. I can also tell you that whenever we have reason to suspect that there are fraudulent postings or reviews on the site we investigate and take appropriate action.

I do want to make one thing clear, however, and that is that Royal Caribbean did not offer RC's incentives or payment in exchange for positive reviews. They invited some RC's to preview a new ship along with travel agents, media, diamond plus members. They didn't ask or require them to do anything. They didn't tell them to post positive reviews, and in fact, what I have read is pretty candid -- positive and negative.

One thing that has gotten lost in all of this is that when the RC's came back on the Liberty of the Seas they answered a lot of members' questions about the ship who were eager to learn more about it. In their own words, with their own opinions of what they liked, what they didn't like.

Kathleen

Thank you for the reply Kathleen

You have to admit both CC and the RC's weren't fully informed about the program FACT

You have to Admit that RCI hand picked the RC's FACT

You have to admit that statements from RCI like this below only added fuel to the fire - FACT

"Harrison said that the selection criteria, responsibilities and benefits of Royal Champions are confidential in order to ensure the maximum level of objectivity among the group."

FACT now Kathleen whether you RCI + RC's or myself like it members are treating posts by RC's with suspicion - which is unfortunate.

Best solution is for RCI to scrap the program and draw a line under this sorry mess - given that CC have taken the lead and said they won't take part in this sort of underhanded thing again its up to RCI to respond in kind.

A little surprised at the length and intensity of this thread, but then I really shouldn't be. I think a lot of CCers, long timers and short timers who don't necessarily post a lot are coming out of the woodwork to voice their opinion on this issue. That takes a certain amount of guts nowadays as posters with few posts are automatically jumped on as trolls, employees of other cruise lines, complainers, whiners, haters, and oh yeah, (my personal favorite) guys making posts on computers in their parents basements who are asked to prove who they are!! (JJ are you listening, LOL!)

Sorry Collen what was that you said i was busy down in the BASEMENT - cooking up another plan for Carnival LOL

Great to see many members speaking up about the INTEGRITY of the boards - well done folks !!

Wishing EVERYONE a HAPPY St Patricks Day !!

jj.......

Thank you for the reply Kathleen

You have to admit both CC and the RC's weren't fully informed about the program FACT

jj.......

The RC'ers weren't but from this post (#38) from LauraS on this thread, it sounds like she knew about it. :confused:

"Now, since I was aware of this program from the very beginning and somewhat involved, I will happy to share what I know to be the facts:"

Bless you Cathy, I think you have summed up exactly what I (and in my opinion what many who have stayed out of this train wreck) have been thinking.

Now excuse me but Elvis is on the next thread over and I want to get his peanut butter and nana sandwich receipt!

My pleasure;)

Yessir. Anyone who has attained Elite status on Celebrity can automatically enroll in C&A as Diamond.

(Yes, but this goes sideways since the point I was making was that a D/D+ poster being selected over one who had only a couple of cruises under their belt. The given was that it was not earned as a result of reciprocity and there was a firm knowledge base on RCCL ships.)

OMG....I actually caught up...but by the time I finish this, there will probably be 3 more pages.

Observations:

RCI really needs to hire a PR firm. They have managed to do most everything wrong from a PR standpoint. The Hancock quote needs to be dealt with and it is ignored in the "official response"....another PR mistake.

CC has responded well, they have taken the time to think about the issue and made some changes that will help their image in the future.

RC's: likely picked because they write alot. Nobody comes back to a board that is stagnant so getting some RC's to make posts on the CC RCL board keeps it fresh....no matter what they say. RCL benefits just because people are reading the board.

Note to CC Administrators. This discussion is going on in the Celebrity board and likely some others. You should put the "official" statements there too.

Hopefully the PR firm that they hire will be substantially better than the advertizing firm that they hired.

Archived