Royal Champions

Admin

Oh no, by far, the funniest thing from you today has been the comment on the bottled water :D It still makes me smile. How about you find a way to get on my FoS sailing in July, then you and I can spend our $50 in the arcade playing Mata Hari Pinball :)

O, that was a good machine. The last cruise I was on I think the pinball machine that was in the best working order was the Lord of the Rings. The right upper flipper sucked, but other than that.

My favorite machine used to be the pinball game about pool. Simple, good targets, no multi balls, just old-fashioned pinball fun.

I am driving around the great US west this July, you will have to join us on the TA in November on the Indy.

jc

Just had another thought -- a question to ponder over.....

Do you think that Ms Potter really thinks she is helping people, or providing some service with her loads of manure she spreads? Or is it some perverse joy she gets by manipulating facts into new meanings???

Well JC, I do not see a grand conspiracy here at all, never did. I didn't take your remarks to be about me at all. I was just pointing out your negative comments about some perceived group of posters.

I am trying to find out information about the RC PROGRAM implemented by Royal Caribbean and assisted in part by Cruise Critic in helping them implement the RC PROGRAM. I have no ill will or suspicions about any RC's as individuals. They are actually caught in the middle.

If there is a tiny minority of posters who are hand selected and grouped together and given titles and the possibility of perks by one particular Cruise Line (Advertiser) on this Websight, why is it so wrong for CC members to find out and know about this?

The C & A programs are not secret, they are out in the open and available for any individual who signs up and the perks get better as one gains more points. No one is hand selected, everyone has a chance to earn the perks.

The Royal Caribbean Visa points Program is not secret, it is out in the open and available to anyone who agrees to the terms of the Visa agreement and earns points by spending money with RCL AND spending money using the Visa in general. No one is hand selected, it is open to everyone.

The stockholder benefit is open to anyone who buys stock in RCL. No hand selected group, everyone who buys stock can earn the benefit.

These programs all give perks in various forms but are open to EVERYONE if they so desire to join the program and participate in the program and follow the rules of the program. People are rewarded based upon their participation and the rewards are distributed in a very set way.

The RC PROGRAM is something very different to these other reward programs. It is very, very select and it is by invitation only and the criteria for receiving an invitation is unknown other than what RCL has said publicly.

Since the rules and perks, etc are so clearly laid out about the other RCL "Benefit" programs is it any wonder some people are curious about this new program and would like to find out information about the program? Is there something negative or wrong about that?

It is really that simple. Nothing about being right or wrong. Just asking questions and trying to get information.

For instance I will be taking another "Free" RCL cruise ($2,500 off) on the Liberty of the Seas this summer earned by using RCL Visa points. I knew what I had to do to earn the cruise, that is to spend enough money on the Visa to earn the points. This program is open to everyone and the perks are rewarded based on strict rules.

Same goes for any perks received by being Gold, Platinum, Diamond or Diamond Plus. The rules are set in stone. The Diamond Plus folks sometimes get invited to pre-inaugurals as a perk, and this was understood to be a perk earned by them.

But the RC Program is very different and the rules are not set out and people have questions about the Program. Valid topic for Cruise Critic in my opinion.

Colleen

Hi Colleen:

All valid points. I was as surprised as anyone else to find out we were picked my and outside agency. We all thought it was RCIs marketing group who did it. We also thought it was a one time thing. We were all very surprised to be contacted for the new York thing.

My problem is having my integrity attacked my some individuals. I take that personally and expect to see those threads pulled as it is a personal attack.

There's posters that just started posting on CC that say I'm biased without ever reading any of my posts over the last few years.

i would like to know who they're affiliated with and who they work for so I can evaluate their posts.

It amuses me that so many folks take their posts as gospel without knowing their background and believe all of us RCs to be liars and only post biased info.

Paul

Transparency, I agree. Let's see who you work for and all affiliations so we can evaluate your posts. What's fair for us is also fair for you.

I'm a boatman i use to be a pilot boat coxswain - anything else you'd like to know ??

Quote - from msnbc

Harrison Liu, manager of brand communications for Royal Caribbean International

"Harrison said that the selection criteria, responsibilities and benefits of Royal Champions are confidential in order to ensure the maximum level of objectivity among the group."

So there are benefits - but we're not allowed to know !!

"I contacted Laura Sterling, Cruise Critic’s community manager about the Royal Champion program. She did not reply to my e-mails. However, she did write a general post to all board readers regarding the Royal Champion program where she says the program is for “influencing others who are not customers to sail on Royal Caribbean.” She adds, “It’s the new trend on the Web, and it will be here to stay. It’s the reason our site is so popular. The consumer voice sells product.”

Make your own minds up folks !!

Transparency !!

jj......

Again, calling us dishonest. You don't know me, Laura, any of the hosts but an anonymous person writes a biased article with no facts and you believe that and give no merit to the site you've been a member of for so long.

Huh? biased article with no facts?????? I saw references for the sources of the factual statements that were in that article (assuming you are referencing Potter's article), with the exception of Laura not responding to an email (unverifiable except by attestation), and the supposed blanket statement that she posted, which, I would guess, could be verified.

Much of what is damning is coming from that opinion blog from that pr firm -- the quotes from RCCL. Potter even attributes that to a poster posting it on Cruise Critic, so if your reference to a non factual article, is to Potter's, I think your anger needs to be pointed toward the member here who first exposed it. Now, I am guessing if the RCCL statements are not true, there will be a lawsuit soon -- we will just have to wait -- but my experience tells me when someone names a name and uses a direct quote they usually aren't making it up.

The last few days my browser has been acting up and I have been unable to find some threads and posts about the Royal Champions after reading them.;) Curious, I posted a question on another board asking if RCCL owns Cruise Critic. After I shut my computer off, the next time I was online I couldn't find that thread anymore either.;)

I can't say there was any conspiracy at work, but I can say I was mystified that my browser would not let me go back to posts critical of the Royal Champions.;)

I can say, however, that it's nice to know that, after reading this thread, the Cruise Critic boards are free of influence via perks and payola from the cruise lines.;)

t I'd also then like everyone here to tell me what benefit they've received. Did you get a free upgrade? Discounted upgrade? Free stateroom benefits that you didn't qualify for? Free drinks at a CC party? If full disclosure is what people want, I want FULL disclosure. I went on a Royal Caribbean member cruise and I'm a diamond level. As diamond level we received a free excursion to the beach in St. Maarten. Judge my posts accordingly.

The reason I am fascinated by this discussion -- stayed up way into the night and have blown most of my day following it, but now have to get dressed for dinner -- is that it involves ethics. I am an avid ethics watcher, even looked into a degree in it at one time.

Do folks really not see the difference between a loyalty program that rewards everyone at the same level, gold, platinum, serviceperson, senior, etc. and a loyalty program that rewards some, not for their past behavior (number of cruises, service to the country) but for their future behavior, ie favorable posting on the line. If it weren't for the alleged statement by RCCL of continued monitoring and slyly influencing the influencers, maybe one could make the case that the perk wasn't tied to future behavior, but it certainly appears to be.

I'm a boatman i use to be a pilot boat coxswain - anything else you'd like to know ??

Quote - from msnbc

Harrison Liu, manager of brand communications for Royal Caribbean International

"Harrison said that the selection criteria, responsibilities and benefits of Royal Champions are confidential in order to ensure the maximum level of objectivity among the group."

So there are benefits - but we're not allowed to know !!

"I contacted Laura Sterling, Cruise Critic’s community manager about the Royal Champion program. She did not reply to my e-mails. However, she did write a general post to all board readers regarding the Royal Champion program where she says the program is for “influencing others who are not customers to sail on Royal Caribbean.” She adds, “It’s the new trend on the Web, and it will be here to stay. It’s the reason our site is so popular. The consumer voice sells product.”

Make your own minds up folks !!

Transparency !!

jj......

Still curious if anyone was paid or offered perks to be part of this "outing" of the RCs. Not saying you were, but how do I know you weren't?

You know you're "honest", but I don't know you (or any of the other posters) and will only have your word for it. Tell me why I should accept that.

You have no "proof" I'm biased as I doubt you've ever read any of my posts over the years either before or after I became a RC.

Just as I have no "proof" you weren't paid or otherwise compensated for posting as you have. I can just as easily believe you were, no matter how much you protest.

Something to think about.

The reason I am fascinated by this discussion -- stayed up way into the night and have blown most of my day following it, but now have to get dressed for dinner -- is that it involves ethics. I am an avid ethics watcher, even looked into a degree in it at one time.

Do folks really not see the difference between a loyalty program that rewards everyone at the same level, gold, platinum, serviceperson, senior, etc. and a loyalty program that rewards some, not for their past behavior (number of cruises, service to the country) but for their future behavior, ie favorable posting on the line. If it weren't for the alleged statement by RCCL of continued monitoring and slyly influencing the influencers, maybe one could make the case that the perk wasn't tied to future behavior, but it certainly appears to be.

Well, if anyone is monitoring me, they would have dropped me from the program because their "sly influencing" hasn't worked.

Still curious if anyone was paid or offered perks to be part of this "outing" of the RCs. Not saying you were, but how do I know you weren't?

You know you're "honest", but I don't know you (or any of the other posters) and will only have your word for it. Tell me why I should accept that.

You have no "proof" I'm biased as I doubt you've ever read any of my posts over the years either before or after I became a RC.

Just as I have no "proof" you weren't paid or otherwise compensated for posting as you have. I can just as easily believe you were, no matter how much you protest.

Something to think about.

Paul, I went thru the logic with JJ over the last few weeks, and generally it was like playing handball by myself. No amount of logic, no amount of explanation was followed by anything even remotely resembling understanding. I wish you luck, but I would not get your hopes up for a break through.:D

PS, I always thought that people are fascinated by what are their weaknesses become what they are weak in. You know the mentally unstable person that becomes a Psychologist and so on. Has anyone else ever noticed that?

jc

We'll one thing i can tell you whether you believe me or not its up to you - I Can't be Bought !!

Still curious if anyone was paid or offered perks to be part of this "outing" of the RCs.

Weird - weren't the rewarded with this free outing !!

jj.......

Jc you didn't discuss anything with me - every chance you got you made comments about myself or my country.

But hey that just shows you up not me and by the way i've asked the Mods to look at your comments.

Throughout this thread and others i haven't made personal comments i've stuck to the facts.

jj.....

We'll one thing i can tell you whether you believe me or not its up to you - I Can't be Bought !!

Weird - weren't the rewarded with this free outing !!

jj.......

Why should I believe you anymore than you believe me? I've said the same thing and you choose to still say I can be and that my posts are not to be trusted. I say me as one of the RCs you say that about.

Jc you didn't discuss anything with me - every chance you got you made comments about myself or my country.

But hey that just shows you up not me and by the way i've asked the Mods to look at your comments.

Throughout this thread and others i haven't made personal comments i've stuck to the facts.

jj.....

Actually, that is completely false. But hey whatever you say. Your credibility is 100% as verified by this thread.

Thanks for the threat though.:rolleyes: It is always nice to know who has your best interests at heart. Is that the way you do things as a Coxswain? Run and tell on your shipmates. Just wondering. :rolleyes:

jc

But you've been picked to Champion as cause and in return for that you're getting rewards for that - not my words

"Harrison Liu, manager of brand communications for Royal Caribbean International

I on the other hand am not a Royal Champion and therefore don't get reward.

Fairly simple i would have thought.

jj.....

jaxon...First, NOTHING in this deal is tied to "future behavior"...I have never been asked by anyone to do anything...

BUT...all things--loyalty programs, advertising, promised perks, sales come-ons--ALL tie into future behavior. Everything any vendor, manufacturer, distributor, store, business or cruise line does is tied to "future behavior". They are ALL trying to get people to buy their product IN THE FUTURE

Second, ALL "loyalty" programs award "some"...or reward some different...Armed Forces discounts, Senior discounts, State Residency discounts ALL reward just "some"...Even repeat customer programs like "Crown & Anchor" reward some different than others...those who book suites move up faster...and the perks are different for some--when I cruised on Liberty of the Seas, I got free drinks in the Diamond Lounge...but not on Monarch of the Seas and Vision of the Seas--they didn't have the lounge--and no free drinks...

Some folks get awarded free upgrades--and it's completely arbitrary--Some folks get them, others don't...Same with invites to the Captain's Table...There isn't a standard set of rules to any of it...The cruise line can give away whatever it wants to whoever it wants...it doesn't need to have a reason...it doesn't need to be fair...

What are you missing here?

One guy goes to the dealer to buy a new car and gets one price...the next guy goes in and buys the identical car and pays $2,000 less...Why is that? You pay $300 per night for a hotel room...The guy in the next room got it for $200...maybe the guy in the room on the other side paid $350...Same with airline seats...

Life isn't fair...

People in business do whatever they have to do...or want to do...if they think it in some way helps their business...and that may mean giving selective perks to some people and not to others...

So what?

Do YOU get what YOU pay for when you cruise? Isn't that all that matters?

BTW, the Travel Agent who sold you your cruise--maybe influenced you to taking that cruise--well, they probably got a freebie along the line somewhere as well...

I guarantee you that your doctor is getting all sorts of perks from the drug company that manufctures that medication he just prescribed you...

And look around your house. Have any ball point pens with some company's name on them? Any address labels sent to you by some charity looking for a donation? How about that free sample of granola that came with this morning's newspaper? That cruise line tote bag they gave you on the last cruise?

Guess what? Those companies are ALL trying to influence you to do FUTURE business with them...and to speak well of them to your friends and neighbors...

Yes, in a "perfect world", nobody does anything to influence anyone...Nobody packages their products in an attractive container or packaging...Nobody has an ad campaign or a sale...Nobody urges you to "tell your friends about us"...

Dangit...I feel a John Lennon song coming on...

This whole nonsense reminds me of my mother's favorite phrase, "No one ever told you life was fair."

I'm not a Royal Champion. I have no issues with those who were selected or will be selected in the future. The reason I don't is because while I may appreciate their advice, opinions, guidance etc. I AM AN OPINIONATED WOMAN WHO WILL MAKE UP MY OWN MIND. Other than providing factual information - which can be gained from anyone on this site regardless of their experience or affiliations, everything else is an opinion and while I find opinions interesting, I form my OWN.

As the daughter of a journalist, I can bemoan the lack of ethics in reporting now. It used to be that a reporter was EXPECTED to keep their personal bias out of a story. "Stick to the facts...write the facts" was the true reporter's mantra. Now it appears that has been replaced by "make it attention getting and controversial" and "choose your side." This whole thing is drama over something quite unremarkable.

RC's - it's a small minority of posters that have issues with this. Please continue to enjoy your cruises and share information.

Non RC's - focus on some important issues in life. Are you really feeling so manipulated that you can't form your own opinion on your own cruising experiences? Has any advice provided by an RC negatively impacted your cruises or your cruise planning? Do their perks (which by all accounts are minimal at best and involve spending anywhere from $100's to $1000's of their OWN money for travel) really take away from your involvement on CC?

Jealousy is quite unattractive and no matter how I've tried to see both sides of this issue (I'm often called on to mediate in my work life so I feel a certain expertise ;)) I simply can't see what all the anger is about. No one is forcing you to value these people's opinions. Just as no one is forcing you to value mine. Read what you choose and form your own opinions. I certainly have.

I think this thread is a good lesson on information literacy. What I consider valid, credible media is not the same as others. I was skeptical of some of the sources and contradicting information in the beginning, and I posted my skepticism on one of the original threads.

I am not in the slightest way put off by the Royal Champions, the Program or anything associated with it.

When I want to read a "news" story, I try to find multiple credible sources. I do the same with ship reviews and reports.

Hi Colleen:

All valid points. I was as surprised as anyone else to find out we were picked my and outside agency. We all thought it was RCIs marketing group who did it. We also thought it was a one time thing. We were all very surprised to be contacted for the new York thing.

My problem is having my integrity attacked my some individuals. I take that personally and expect to see those threads pulled as it is a personal attack.

There's posters that just started posting on CC that say I'm biased without ever reading any of my posts over the last few years.

i would like to know who they're affiliated with and who they work for so I can evaluate their posts.

It amuses me that so many folks take their posts as gospel without knowing their background and believe all of us RCs to be liars and only post biased info.

Paul

Thanks for taking the time to respond Paul. I will not say anything negative about an RC based on their RC status. They were invited to join a select group by RCL with the help of Cruise Critic. Some got to go on one or more pre-inaugurals, meet the Execs of RCL and in general have fun doing what they like to do. This stuff has all been well documented by those who went on the Liberty pre-inaugural for instance on both their M&M thread and the main boards since early 2007. I don't have a problem with them getting that perk at all. Good for them, I am sure it was a blast. I imagine if I had been offered the chance to go and would have been able to go on the trip I would have gone as well.

My questions are all about the RC Program. Very recently NEW Developments about the Program have come out, some by RCL itself and other developments in the travel "media".

Some of us (and not just on this board, check out HAL for instance) are interested in finding out more details about the what and why of the program because Cruise Critic was involved in helping RCL IN SOME MANNER and since we are members of CC we are interested in exactly what is up with the RC Program.

I don't blame you for being upset with posters who are saying derogatory things about you or other RC's personally. Being maligned personally on the CC boards is hurtful. I have have had this happen to me on these boards. It is not nice and it is against CC policy.

To all RC's and to the CC Mods & Admins.: For me this is not personal at all. I want to know how involved RCL is with CC and what this relatively new program is all about and what it is being used for. There has been conflicting information. That is all.

No one should be personally attacking fellow CC posters for being an RC just like no one should personally attack fellow CC posters for asking questions or disagreeing with RCL.

And people who do disagree with the RCL changes should not be called whiners and moaners and online threads should not be started to "stamp out" these targeted folks.

If someone personally attacks you or someone else, report them.

Gosh, a lot of the RCers have answered my questions over the years and helped me out. To them I say "Thank you".

• Administrators
Hypothetical...but possibly close to a nerve.

PR company employed by cruise line adopts a club type initiative, invites those who have been recommended to them by a well established cruise discussion board and the cruise line as being good solid sorts that have always given the cruise line decent reviews/opinions.

PR company doesn't tell the member of the club OR the cruise discussion board owner what their true agenda is...incase it ruffles feathers.

OOOPS... the scheme is uncovered on a couple of websites and all hell breaks loose.

Cruise discussion board deletes every mention of it, evades giving straight replies and the members of the club are in uproar.

Why...?

Cos they were both taken for a ride, they were both used and were both fleeced into thinking that this club was something to do with the cruise line and thus legitimate.

Ending...well RCI have been made to look shady, the PR firm have their trousers round their ankles, the club members and cruise discussion board are acting like deer caught in headlights, not sure what to do or say cos it just dawned on them that they were Royally used.

I don't know where you are getting your facts but you are totally wrong.

1. No one asked Cruise Critic to make any recommendations for inclusion into the Royal Champions.

2. I believe that the Royal Champions DO know that this is a marketing decision, as they were contacted BY the marketing folks at Royal Caribbean PLUS most of them met the Internet Marketing & Loyalty people in person.

3. Cruise Critic has nothing to hide. We were asked to assist in contacting members for a Cruise Line. We did so. We've done it before for MANY reasons, usually when a cruise line wanted to reach out and assist one of our members with a problem they were having.

Royal Caribbean was and is directly involved in the Royal Champions. THAT is a fact.

Laura

Sigh...I can no longer see the forest for all the trees.

To everyone that believes that we engaged in some cover up by removing threads on this subject...you're mistaken. I told all of you why that happened but some people refuse to believe something I'm telling you outright. And you continue to say over and over how deceptive we were. You've insulted me and everyone associated with the board and I find it offensive. Such is life...

As for this Royal Champion thing...no one has one piece of evidence that anyone has been paid for their participation. It seems that this program is a loyalty program, not unlike every loyalty program every cruise line has. Was Royal Caribbean more aggressive in their efforts to create this type of loyalty program? It appears so. But I don't believe for a minute that every other cruise line won't jump on this bandwagon if it proves successful for RCI. If you believe that a cruise line has a loyalty program in order to give you a warm fuzzy then you don't understand loyalty programs. They exist entirely and completely to retain your business and entice you to spend more money. And tell your friends.

I'm sure this issue will continue to dominate for as long as someone wants to discuss their outrage repeating the same thing over and over. And someone wants to defend their reputation over and over.

I'll continue to read the thread in order to make sure the board guidelines are followed. No namecalling. No attacks. No unwanted comments to other members. And no discussion of board moderation. If you find a post of yours removed, write to me at boards@cruisecritic.com and I'll tell you what happened.

For me, I've addressed this enough.

Thank you to Cecilia and to Laura for putting the facts out there. Your patience with this discussion and the many others has been admirable.

I as a Royal Champion have read every single word posted on this thread and all the others since the discussion started a couple of weeks ago. I thank those that have supported the RC's and will continue to read and learn from our RCI experiences and other cruise experiences.

I write what I experience on a RCI ship. If someone likes what I have said and it influeneces them to try a RCI cruise ..then great. Most of my posts have come on some very active roll call threads. There a poster has already made the decision to sail RCI and my role then is to help them to make it the best experience possible by sharing the info I have about RCI, ports and other cruise info. To help them get excited about their cruise especially for first time cruisers is something I enjoy.

The thing that bothers me the most is that many of the RC's have been posting on RCI board for many years way before we received the Champion title. We had good and bad things to say about RCI then and will in the future. So for instance if you find my Freedom review from June 2006 before I became a RC and read it would that review now not be credible.:confused:

To the rest of my RC friends I appreciate all your thoughtful posts on this subject.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Paul. I will not say anything negative about an RC based on their RC status. They were invited to join a select group by RCL with the help of Cruise Critic. Some got to go on one or more pre-inaugurals, meet the Execs of RCL and in general have fun doing what they like to do. This stuff has all been well documented by those who went on the Liberty pre-inaugural for instance on both their M&M thread and the main boards since early 2007. I don't have a problem with them getting that perk at all. Good for them, I am sure it was a blast. I imagine if I had been offered the chance to go and would have been able to go on the trip I would have gone as well.

My questions are all about the RC Program. Very recently NEW Developments about the Program have come out, some by RCL itself and other developments in the travel "media".

Some of us (and not just on this board, check out HAL for instance) are interested in finding out more details about the what and why of the program because Cruise Critic was involved in helping RCL IN SOME MANNER and since we are members of CC we are interested in exactly what is up with the RC Program.

I don't blame you for being upset with posters who are saying derogatory things about you or other RC's personally. Being maligned personally on the CC boards is hurtful. I have have had this happen to me on these boards. It is not nice and it is against CC policy.

To all RC's and to the CC Mods & Admins.: For me this is not personal at all. I want to know how involved RCL is with CC and what this relatively new program is all about and what it is being used for. There has been conflicting information. That is all.

No one should be personally attacking fellow CC posters for being an RC just like no one should personally attack fellow CC posters for asking questions or disagreeing with RCL.

And people who do disagree with the RCL changes should not be called whiners and moaners and online threads should not be started to "stamp out" these targeted folks.

If someone personally attacks you or someone else, report them.

Gosh, a lot of the RCers have answered my questions over the years and helped me out. To them I say "Thank you".

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your comments. I'm as concerned as you to think that someone thinks they can influence me or any of the other RCs with what we have been invited to so far considering how much it has cost us to attend. I'm still trying to remember what cocktail parties with RCI execs I've been to. Part of the problem is the misinformation put out by the folks responsible for the program.

BTW, I hope I'm one of those that has helped you or given you good information.

Archived