Royal Champions

Admin

• Administrators
F

I still don't like that cruise critic isn't requiring full disclosure, but that's not the champions fault!

Have a good day!

I'm out of town at a Social Media conference (where unbelievably similar issues are being discussed but I digress) and have just a little time to spare here. This is as far as I've been able to read thus far, and I specifically wanted to address the statement above:

One of the key criteria I use in establishing any new guideline or "policy" is the basic issue of fairness. We systematically try to ensure that anything we do going forward applies across the board.

While I did offer to somehow require disclosure, the fact of the matter is that is impossible to moderate. And, quite frankly, if we were to stipulate that "if you are a RC you now need to identify yourself" I doubt they all would after reading some of the postings in this thread.

But getting back to the fairness, if we would require ONE group to disclose, we must then require ALL groups to disclose. That would mean travel agents, business owners, pr & marketing firms, the company that used to deliver liquor on board and yes, even admins from other cruise sites as well.

I know the majority of RC's do include some cute little gizmo in their online signatures. But, as for Cruise Critic disclosing information about ANY member -- well that simply isn't our place. That's always been another of my key issues over the years; PRIVACY. It isn't our place to share any information about you with others. Period.

Laura

Only a few of the RCs have received a free cruise. Not everyone.

AND...it's not exactly a "free cruise"...

Here is what I got...and what most of us got:

I drove my wife and myself the 70 miles down to San Pedro and parked my car...

We lined up and got on board in the early afternoon on Thursday...

We went up and got our "free" buffet lunch...We met with the other cruise critic members up in the Viking Crown for a Meet & Mingle...We went to the ice rink for an ice show...We attended a Crown & Anchor reception...We went to a nice open seating dinner...I went to a late production show...my wife went to the cabin and fell asleep...We got to sleep in a cabin...The next morning. I grabbed some Rice Krispies and a croissant at the buffet...we were off the ship by 8 am Friday Morning...Oh yeah...the ship sailed out of LA Harbor around 7 pm on Thursday, turned around and floated back into LA Harbor a few hours later...

Go ahead...call it a "Free Cruise"...

Not much of a cruise in my book...

But, yeah...It was nice...yeah, I do appreciate being invited...yeah, I got a couple of free meals and a show...Mostly, it was me and a whole lot of travel agents just getting a sneak peak at the ship...

After ranting for years on these boards that LA deserved one of the newer, bigger ships, I got the first opportunity to see it up close and in person...it was about an 18 hour visit...I would hardly call it a "free cruise" of any magnitude as to "bribe" me or buy my opinion...I have not been "paid"...

Well, what was it worth? I've got a real cruise booked on the Mariner for January...with my discounts and onboard credits and such, my balcony cabin is costing me about $1336 for two...but, of course, that's a full 7 days and I'll actually be traveling to three distant ports...

Take this 18 hours as a percentage of the entire 7 night cruise and it's 10.714% of the actual time onboard (assuming that "nowhere" is equal to actually going to Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Mazatlan and that you're not there to just relax but to here sales spiels by the hosts)...That makes the "freebie" worth a whopping $143!!

I hate to tell you, but I've been given more by RCI and by other cruise lines that had nothing to do with any such program...I've been "upgraded" by another cruise line to a cabin worth $500 per person more than the one I booked...just as an example...

You think my loyalties are swayed by a $143 freebie? Do you realize how much money I have funnelled into Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Oceania and others over the years cruising? Getting something worth $143 is really going to "bribe" me? Any more than that $1000 upgrade? Or the $200 onboard credits I've received for booking? Or the Diamond C&A Balcony discount? Or the 2 category upgrade on another line?

Come on people...enough of this postured outrage already...

We are ALL here because we love cruising...We like to share information on cruising with others...to answer questions...to ask questions...to find advice from fellow members who may have cruiosed to a port we haven't or who can answer questions about a ship we haven't been on...

This is a GREAT site...and, for all I can tell, most posters, whether "Royal Champions" (the few there really are) or not, give freat advice, great perspective, exhibit great knowledge...

Occasionally, we all disagree with someone...maybe even question their motives (I usually reserve that for the folks with an obvious stake in things--like the occasional tour guide who slips through to plug his own services)...But I hardly think twice about some member who gives good advice that may be a "Royal Champion"...or may have gotten a similar perk from some other cruise line (here is the shocker--they ALL do it...though some may not have a name for it. They all have the occasional PR event and invite a lot of travel agents and a few other people they just happen to like for some assorted reasons)...or may have gotten an upgrade...or a free excursion...or dinner with the Captain...or some other perk...

Enough of the outrage...

So what? Some people may have received some minor token from the cruise line somewhere or another...

Why does it matter so much to you?

Do you really distrust everyone involved? Maybe because it's a freebie YOU didn't get?

Maybe you just like to argue and postulate and you're getting carried away about nothing...

Do you really have a problem here? When you book a Royal Caribbean cruise, do you not have a good time, not treated well, not getting everything you paid for?

Come on folks, let's move on already...

We do not get to tell them anything, but the management of CC (if they so desire) could do just that. I don't see anything wrong with making the RC's have that designation in their sig line. A lot of them do, anyway.

jmho.

So, Denise, CC would have the right to force you to put something in your signature? I am sure that the libertarian that I know is in you has an answer to that.

Jaxson, I have judged Ms. Potter based upon her past work. That smelled and looked like manure. Maybe I am all wrong, but I doubt it.:D

jc

Geez people, I try to get some work done and I miss all of THIS. :eek:

So after reading the garbage from Ms. Potter, AGAIN, what is with this woman? She has a major vendetta out for Royal Caribbean. Did someone put something in her Johnny Rockets or what? :eek:

I have one question, as a former broadcast journalist, I didn't know that we could take quotes for an interview from a message board. I know this is a public message board. But it was odd how she was able to quote people, like Chris (who is a minor), without their knowledge and without their consent.

I read the story on MSNBC so it's not confined to her little blog or trip reports.

I guess I just learned something new today. I can quote people that I have never interviewed. Interesting. ;)

For all of you who keep doubting that the RCs can be unbiased, have you EVER read any of their posts/reviews? I know that I have and they do NOT sugar coat what RCI does and always talk positive. I believe it was one of the RCs that first came back from a cruise and reported on the reserved pool seating for the suite occupants. They were blasted by those that book suites and repeatedly told they could change cruise lines if they didn't like it. Is this a 'cheerleader' for RCI?

That was me. :)

On one side, people are complaining (and have said for YEARS before this program!!!) that I am too positive. I'm SO SORRY for having a blast on my vacations that I wait a year for. :rolleyes: I'm sorry for making lemonade out of any lemons that may occur during a vacation that costs me thousands. Excuse me for living.

Then I get back from a cruise a few months ago, and post that negative aspect about my cruise regarding the reserved pool seating....and I had everyone jumping on my back about that. Well which is it?

Then back in 2003...FOUR YEARS before this program got started, I write a review which was mostly glowing, only to mention an aspect of the cruise which I couldn't stand regarding smoking. Got spanked for that one. And NO it was NOT about smokers themselves...it had to do with a certain situation with the lounges. But whatever.

I post something positive, I get beat on.

I post something negative, I got beat on.

:confused::confused::confused:

Make up your minds!

If someone doesn't care to read my posts, I invite you to put me on ignore and move on with your lives. There are so many people on here whose opinion I value and they in turn value mine, and I know will continue to do so. These are the people who truly ENJOY cruising and look to ENJOY their vacations. And that's all I want to do. No one will ever stop me from saying what I want to say....positive OR negative. I have a great time on my cruises, they are my favorite place to be on the entire earth, and forgive me if I have 99% positive things to say about it. It's been that way since my first cruise TWENTY years ago and I don't see it changing. You don't like it....don't read it.

So, Denise, CC would have the right to force you to put something in your signature? I am sure that the libertarian that I know is in you has an answer to that.

jc

I think that if I was getting any kind of "perks" from RCCL as a "RC", then yes, I would agree to have it acknowledged in my sig. (I imagine that most of the RC'ers are proud to have been picked by their favorite cruise line as kind of spokespersons).

I remember back when this must have started and some of them were invited on the inaugural cruise on one of their ships (forget which one), because I remember Gordon talking about how he'd been invited. At the time, I remember thinking how odd it was that some posters here at CC were chosen to be their guests...ie: how was that decision made?

But I must disagree with your post that we're all jealous or upset that we weren't chosen. I can readily assure you that is not the case with me, and even though I am one cruise away from being a Diamond Plus member, I would not have accepted the free cruise under any circumstances. I am a believer that nothing is "free"-----there are most always some kind of strings attached.

again, jmho.

Geez people, I try to get some work done and I miss all of THIS. :eek:

So after reading the garbage from Ms. Potter, AGAIN, what is with this woman? She has a major vendetta out for Royal Caribbean. Did someone put something in her Johnny Rockets or what? :eek:

I have one question, as a former broadcast journalist, I didn't know that we could take quotes for an interview from a message board. I know this is a public message board. But it was odd how she was able to quote people, like Chris (who is a minor), without their knowledge and without their consent.

I read the story on MSNBC so it's not confined to her little blog or trip reports.

I guess I just learned something new today. I can quote people that I have never interviewed. Interesting. ;)

Yes, there seems to be a strain of journalism that seems to focus on cruising that seems to have no journalistic standards.

It further proves if something is written on the internet, that no matter how wrong it is, a large percentage of people will believe every word. Further, any disagreement with that internet garbage is interpreted as a cover-up of the truth. :rolleyes:

The Truth is out There.... key the music from the X-Files

jc

Good questions. Unfortunately now a lot of very nice people (RC's) are being put in the middle of this apparent business alliance without many(most)? of them fully understanding the implications of their involvement with the PROGRAM.

I do not blame any RCs for becoming involved initially like they did.

I do not blame anyone accepting perks, cruises etc for anything they do upfront and honestly.

There are some attitudes out there that I don't care much for... RCs or not. It is that look at me..I got this..I got that..I talked to this person...I was invited to this...I know something but I can't tell anyone. we have all seen it.

The vast majority of posters are great.

It is not the title..it is the person behind it.

If you are going to find fault with titles there can be the same said for Diamond-Diamond Plus. Many great posters are in this group. Me personally I have no problem with titles. I have none and probably will never have one. Again it is not the title...the poster behind it is what matters.

Laura

I guess I do not understand why CC became involved in Royal Caribbean attempting to reach some of its posters in the first place.

Laura

From Laura's post.......................

1. I was contacted by Royal Caribbean in early 2007 and was asked to send them emails of certain members who they were interested in contacting. Of course, since I will NOT share your email addresses, they had no choice but to ask me to contact these members with the information about this program. was told that Buzz Metrics, a subsidiary of Neilsen Ratings System, had earmarked about 50 people on the internet whose existing participating had been positive and enthusiastic about their cruises on Royal Caribbean. Of the 50, 40 were Cruise Critic members which makes sense since our community is so large.

Weren't you offered perks and rewards that you were unable to take advantage of? Or do I have the wrong poster?

If you call being invited to the Press Conference on the Oasis Reveal in NYC last fall a perk or reward...............then yes, that is the only thing that has been offered to me since I was invited to join the RCs in June of 2008.

Of course, I had to get there and traveling from Ohio, that would have meant flying and then staying in NYC at least 2 days..............at my expense.

I think that if I was getting any kind of "perks" from RCCL as a "RC", then yes, I would agree to have it acknowledged in my sig. (I imagine that most of the RC'ers are proud to have been picked by their favorite cruise line as kind of spokespersons).

I remember back when this must have started and some of them were invited on the inaugural cruise on one of their ships (forget which one), because I remember Gordon talking about how he'd been invited. At the time, I remember thinking how odd it was that some posters here at CC were chosen to be their guests...ie: how was that decision made?

But I must disagree with your post that we're all jealous or upset that we weren't chosen. I can readily assure you that is not the case with me, and even though I am one cruise away from being a Diamond Plus member, I would not have accepted the free cruise under any circumstances. I am a believer that nothing is "free"-----there are most always some kind of strings attached.

again, jmho.

I wasn't saying you, personally, were jealous. I certainly was jealous that I wasn't invited.

Have you ever gone to a repeaters party and drank the free "champagne". Be sure you put that in your sig.:D

jc

From Laura's post.......................

1. I was contacted by Royal Caribbean in early 2007 and was asked to send them emails of certain members who they were interested in contacting. Of course, since I will NOT share your email addresses, they had no choice but to ask me to contact these members with the information about this program. was told that Buzz Metrics, a subsidiary of Neilsen Ratings System, had earmarked about 50 people on the internet whose existing participating had been positive and enthusiastic about their cruises on Royal Caribbean. Of the 50, 40 were Cruise Critic members which makes sense since our community is so large.

I know that she posted this statement but what I am saying is that I question why they made the decision to get involved at all. Thanks though. Laura

I'd like to thank Cecilia for attempting to calm down the Royal Caribbean forum. Now, since I was aware of this program from the very beginning and somewhat involved, I will happy to share what I know to be the facts:

2. I have to tell you I was VERY surprised at some of the posters on the listing; most of them were known to me. Some had many posts, some did not. But, most importantly I thought that the majority of them were NOT what I would call cheerleaders. As a matter of fact, I've found most of their posts before, and still, to be very HONEST, and sometimes downright critical, of the cruise line. This is only my opinion.

3. Most of those on the listing heard nothing for months. Finally, an invitation was sent to with an invitation to ONE of two pre-inaugural sailings on Liberty of the Seas. You had a choice of either Miami or New York and you had to pay your own way to get there. It is important to keep in mind that on these sailings were many travel agents, vendor firms and of course the media. The cruise line hosted all of these groups, including the 30 or so who could make it.

4. Cruise lines hosting various groups on board pre-inaugural sailings is pretty standard nowadays. They do this in the hopes that they will enjoy themselves and return and convince their friends, family and clients to sail with them.

5. I was on board the Liberty of the Seas pre-inaugural in NYC. I was very happy to meet those Cruise Critic members who were on board, as well as posters from other websites and bloggers and website creators. It was on board that the name "Royal Champions" was announced to all. I won't say we didn't have a wonderflul time; obviously the ship was gorgeous -- we did enjoy the 2 day sailing. There were many seminars and meetings on board to attend if so inclined; this is standard on any pre-iinaugural.

6. Many months went by. No communication to any of the Royal Champions came from RCI. All was quiet until RCI invited those in the NY area to attend an event where they would announce some of the neighborhoods on Oasis of the Seas. Not many of the RC's went, about 10 I'd say; I did attend as did our Managing Editor -- we brought 'Bennie the Bear' with us. I cannot remember the exact date but it was held at the Nokia theatre.

7. After the Nokia event -- nothing. No communications, no invites, no promises of anything at all. As a matter of fact, many would write to me and ask "is the program still running?". We really had no info to share.

8. About three months ago RCI asked for us to contact an additional group of members. No one heard anything for months until they were asked to verify their contact info. Then, again, nothing.

That's the entire story as I know it.

So, you may ask: why should or shouldn't you put any validity in what a Royal Champion has to say? The truth of the matter is -- only you can decide. Without determining how positive or negative a poster is, you certainly have to admit they are full of information about the cruise line, can offer up facts like nobody's business, share bits of minutia that some would say borders on the insane, post live from their vacations, and spend a great deal of time doing all the above. The choice is yours.

Some may also ask: why does Cruise Critic allow this? Essentially, you are all anonymous to us. The phenomena behind social media and user generated reviews is fascinating to us. There are many reasons why people come to a community like ours -- more often than not you are here because you like to cruise. The majority of different "groups" here identify themselves - such as Travel Agents, business owners and yes, even Royal Champions. We can certainly make it a "guideline" to identify yourself if that appeases those of you that are critical of brand influeners; but that would be extremely difficult to enforce across all the different types of groups.

My final note to you all: keep this discussion civil. Do not direct your posts toward any individual member. Do not direct your postings toward them as a group either. Instead, stick to the issue of the marketing focus behind this group and others like it. Know that they aren't being paid to post, but have been invited to an event or two to share their opinions about what they have seen. You are all free to "call it what you wish", those who look at it negatively will probably not change their opinion due to my post. I only wanted to set the record straight from our perspective.

Laura

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Laura, thank you for taking time to tell everyone what you know....

To Everyone else, I know Laura is telling the truth as my best friend is a Royal Champion and I am very happy to be a friend of a Royal Champion.....You should all get out there and make friends with them as you will know they don't get anything for being one.....

I have had friends join RCCI 2 years ago and they are almost D+ now and I have got a lot of people to sail on RCCI cruises, I have even talked my DD and her family to join us on her first RCCI cruise on the Oasis.....

I am proud to be an RCCI D+ and I am Proud to be a CC poster too....I am also proud to be friends of Royal Champion's and I am not an Royal Champion.....

So stop complaining and start being friendly with the Royal Champion group, you will be a much happier cruiser and poster.....

Thank you for letting me state my opinion:confused:

Carol:)

Hi Michelle, bet you never knew how biased and how big a RCI cheerleader I was, did you? Good to see you here.

Hang in there Paul. Just sit back and relax on all of the 100's of free cruises you are getting from RCCL. :p;)

What a bunch of hogwash. :eek:

I need to get kids to dance class. Try to behave yourselves. :D

Nope, I am posting an accurate description of posters who feel a grand conspiracy is occurring when none is.

Most people find the truth to be quite distasteful when they realize that they are wrong. Further I find that they rarely admit they are wrong, and continue to deny any contrary opinions or evidence.

jc<---- knows you missed him:D

Well JC, I do not see a grand conspiracy here at all, never did. I didn't take your remarks to be about me at all. I was just pointing out your negative comments about some perceived group of posters.

I am trying to find out information about the RC PROGRAM implemented by Royal Caribbean and assisted in part by Cruise Critic in helping them implement the RC PROGRAM. I have no ill will or suspicions about any RC's as individuals. They are actually caught in the middle.

If there is a tiny minority of posters who are hand selected and grouped together and given titles and the possibility of perks by one particular Cruise Line (Advertiser) on this Websight, why is it so wrong for CC members to find out and know about this?

The C & A programs are not secret, they are out in the open and available for any individual who signs up and the perks get better as one gains more points. No one is hand selected, everyone has a chance to earn the perks.

The Royal Caribbean Visa points Program is not secret, it is out in the open and available to anyone who agrees to the terms of the Visa agreement and earns points by spending money with RCL AND spending money using the Visa in general. No one is hand selected, it is open to everyone.

The stockholder benefit is open to anyone who buys stock in RCL. No hand selected group, everyone who buys stock can earn the benefit.

These programs all give perks in various forms but are open to EVERYONE if they so desire to join the program and participate in the program and follow the rules of the program. People are rewarded based upon their participation and the rewards are distributed in a very set way.

The RC PROGRAM is something very different to these other reward programs. It is very, very select and it is by invitation only and the criteria for receiving an invitation is unknown other than what RCL has said publicly.

Since the rules and perks, etc are so clearly laid out about the other RCL "Benefit" programs is it any wonder some people are curious about this new program and would like to find out information about the program? Is there something negative or wrong about that?

It is really that simple. Nothing about being right or wrong. Just asking questions and trying to get information.

For instance I will be taking another "Free" RCL cruise ($2,500 off) on the Liberty of the Seas this summer earned by using RCL Visa points. I knew what I had to do to earn the cruise, that is to spend enough money on the Visa to earn the points. This program is open to everyone and the perks are rewarded based on strict rules.

Same goes for any perks received by being Gold, Platinum, Diamond or Diamond Plus. The rules are set in stone. The Diamond Plus folks sometimes get invited to pre-inaugurals as a perk, and this was understood to be a perk earned by them.

But the RC Program is very different and the rules are not set out and people have questions about the Program. Valid topic for Cruise Critic in my opinion.

Colleen

i posted one of the original threads on this subject, just a link to the article and "i don't understand this, what's going on?" i didn't cut and paste the article into the thread, so unless someone did after i went to bed (the thread was pulled overnight) i don't know that there was true cause for the thread to be pulled.

In working this this thread, I found your post -- exactly what I said, also; thanks for affirming my later post that said threads were being removed that did NOT break any rules. I also agree with you about the blinky sig lines that many of us block, something in a sig line doesn't alert me because those bits of self aggrandizement aren't seen by me. Thanks for letting us know that this problem is being found elsewhere like on Amazon. I didn't even know that this thread had become a sticky -- I found it through a link. I tend not to "see" the stickies when they have been the same for a long period.

Another great idea !!

Transparency !!

jj.......

Transparency, I agree. Let's see who you work for and all affiliations so we can evaluate your posts. What's fair for us is also fair for you.

I've had Royal Champion in my sig since 2007. I'm also a member of the pink boa society. I'm also D+ with 43 credits. I'm a retired USAF civil servant. I'm 67 years old and really don't care whether anyone thinks I can be bought or cheerlead for anyone for two "free" perks that cost my wife and I well over $2000 to attend.

Anything else you want to know?

I do not blame any RCs for becoming involved initially like they did.

I do not blame anyone accepting perks, cruises etc for anything they do upfront and honestly.

There are some attitudes out there that I don't care much for... RCs or not. It is that look at me..I got this..I got that..I talked to this person...I was invited to this...I know something but I can't tell anyone. we have all seen it.

The vast majority of posters are great.

It is not the title..it is the person behind it.

If you are going to find fault with titles there can be the same said for Diamond-Diamond Plus. Many great posters are in this group. Me personally I have no problem with titles. I have none and probably will never have one. Again it is not the title...the poster behind it is what matters.

Laura

I was agreeing with you Laura and not being critical of anything you posted.

Colleen

Well, what an interesting diversion from work!!

I have some opinions on Ms Potter and they are very similar to jc. Not too long ago, she penned a bunch of half truths on her website. For some reason, I was compelled to point out that much of what she wrote consisted of "partial truths" that were cleverly manipulated and used out of context. This story was about RCL, and was not very flattering.

Well, I called attention to it, and she referred to me as "quite the Royal Champion" as I recall. Now, it seemed kind of interesting at the time, but is even more so now. This exchange is still available over at her little blog site. And I use the term little to mean "little visited" :o

I can't believe how bad this message forum has gotten over the past few months. People that have taken the time to provide help and answers to others for years are now being roasted alive by, for the most part, the same group that is always negative. The only good part is, I have added a few more users to my ignore list so the threads don't seem as long, or as negative.:D

Gotta get back to work. Have fun everyone!

Oh, and I am NOT a "Royal Champion" by the way.

Try reading the entire thread... :rolleyes:

This thread is here because the flat earth conspiracy crowd has found a voice in Ms Potter. :D That is actually the funniest thing I have thought about today!:D Of course, you have to have actually been around and figured things out to understand why.

Things that bite you in the bottom can be so surprising. :D

jc

Oh no, by far, the funniest thing from you today has been the comment on the bottled water :D It still makes me smile. How about you find a way to get on my FoS sailing in July, then you and I can spend our $50 in the arcade playing Mata Hari Pinball :)

Well, what an interesting diversion from work!!

I have some opinions on Ms Potter and they are very similar to jc. Not too long ago, she penned a bunch of half truths on her website. For some reason, I was compelled to point out that much of what she wrote consisted of "partial truths" that were cleverly manipulated and used out of context. This story was about RCL, and was not very flattering.

Well, I called attention to it, and she referred to me as "quite the Royal Champion" as I recall. Now, it seemed kind of interesting at the time, but is even more so now. This exchange is still available over at her little blog site. And I use the term little to mean "little visited" :o

I can't believe how bad this message forum has gotten over the past few months. People that have taken the time to provide help and answers to others for years are now being roasted alive by, for the most part, the same group that is always negative. The only good part is, I have added a few more users to my ignore list so the threads don't seem as long, or as negative.:D

Gotta get back to work. Have fun everyone!

For someone who refuses to grow up, that was some major league wisdom.:D

I think you nailed it perfectly.

jc<---- pouring you a cold Coors

Archived