How important are tvs when choosing your flight?

patterson3

I had never flown with in-seat satellite TVs before my last trip to Florida, but after experiencing that, I am definitely hooked. For me it made the flight much more enjoyable and I was just wondering how much more people were willing to pay for that feature or if they choose their flights based on the availability of tvs on a flight?

I had never flown with in-seat satellite TVs before my last trip to Florida, but after experiencing that, I am definitely hooked. For me it made the flight much more enjoyable and I was just wondering how much more people were willing to pay for that feature or if they choose their flights based on the availability of tvs on a flight?

I wouldn't pay a dime for any amenity at all. My goal is the cheapest flight that will get me where I want to go, in the shortest amount of time, with the fewest connections. Beyond that, I'm not impressed by anything else. I'm an avid reader and use flight time to read. I won't buy onboard food or beverages.... If necessary, I'll bring my own food. Unless the flight is extended (over 6 hours), I don't need any food except maybe a package of crackers or piece of fruit,etc. Flying, to me, is getting from one place to another. I can entertain myself quite nicely in the process.

But, that's just me. I can understand others points of view.

I could not care less about having a TV to (not) watch in flight. Reliability (lost luggage, on-time performance, etc.) is a heck of a lot more important to me. Scheduling (time of flights, connections or lack of same), cost and comfort also count. Pretzels and TVs do not.

My MP3 player and a couple of local papers from home and the next thing I know we have landed at our destination.

I have been on planes with tv's and never really watched them anyway. Though Delta has some games on their tv's to play with your fellow passengers such as trivia where everyone can play against each other. That kills a few minutes.

There are many more important things for me to consider, though I consider PTVs flying domestically within the US as a bonus. I'm happy to read a book, magazine or listen to music.

On longhaul flights the PTV is important, but then it's a standard feature on all the airlines I fly so again I consider other things more important.

It's not important to me at all. I am the type that likes specialty cable channels and I don't watch too much prime time stuff. On my last trip I went through the in-flight channels and couldn't find anything that I wanted to watch.

Next week I'm flying to Australia on United in Economy. United doesn't have any entertainment on that route in economy, so its going to be 15 hours from LAX to Sydney reading and sleeping.

It's not important to me at all. I am the type that likes specialty cable channels and I don't watch too much prime time stuff. On my last trip I went through the in-flight channels and couldn't find anything that I wanted to watch.

Next week I'm flying to Australia on United in Economy. United doesn't have any entertainment on that route in economy, so its going to be 15 hours from LAX to Sydney reading and sleeping.

Are you sure about that? Even in Y, they show movies! Of course, you can't start and stop them when you please.

That's when a video iPod or iTouch, etc. comes in really handy.

That is definitely a flight I would want a TV for!....Flying from Boston to Florida without a TV is no big deal since it's only about 2 and 1/2 hrs, but in Nov. I am flying to Hawaii and unfortunately Jetblue (which has TVs and a lot of legroom) does not fly to HI....Therefore I tried to use seatguru.com to pick the most attractive flights (TVs in the seats was my first priority, but I also considered layover time, legroom, etc)....

It's important to recognize the difference between IFE (In-Flight Entertainment) and AVOD (Audio/Video on Demand). The former is the older style systems, where there is a movie loop running throughout the aircraft and you watch it when it runs, like watching broadcast television. AVOD allows for on-demand entertainment - you can watch, fast forward and rewind at your own pace/schedule. Vastly different.

It's important to recognize the difference between IFE (In-Flight Entertainment) and AVOD (Audio/Video on Demand). The former is the older style systems, where there is a movie loop running throughout the aircraft and you watch it when it runs, like watching broadcast television. AVOD allows for on-demand entertainment - you can watch, fast forward and rewind at your own pace/schedule. Vastly different.

I apologize in advance for my ignornace, but is AVOD what Jetblue has on their jets?....Also, which system does Delta have on their jets? (Or do they have both?)....Since Jetblue doesn't fly to HI I booked our flight thru Delta...? (Thank you in advance)....

JetBlue has satellite TV. Specifically it is DirecTV with a custom set of channels for airline use.

I personally couldn't care less...the scene unfolding out the window is way better than the mental junk food dished out on TV. Overwater flights are a different story of course...cloud formations, wave patterns, ships, and other planes are interesting to watch but even that gets monotonous after awhile!

I have no direct familiarity with the system that B6 uses -- I believe that it is DirectTV, so you are watching live TV. Not "on-demand" - you just watch whatever is being broadcast at the time on 36 free channels. There are also some movie channels available for a fee - don't know if that is on-demand or not.

DL has multiple systems, depending on both the aircraft type and whether or not it has been modified for AVOD. The 737, 757 and 767 come in several variants, so there's no "standard" AVOD is being installed on all, but it depends if your bird has been through the mod. MD-90 is non-AVOD IFE. 777 is AVOD. The MD-88, CRJ, ERJ and EMB have no IFE at all.

In addition, if you are on NW metal, there is no IFE on NW domestic aircraft. There is IFE equipment for aircraft that go TATL and TPAC, as well as Hawaii.

I have no direct familiarity with the system that B6 uses -- I believe that it is DirectTV, so you are watching live TV. Not "on-demand" - you just watch whatever is being broadcast at the time on 36 free channels. There are also some movie channels available for a fee - don't know if that is on-demand or not.

DL has multiple systems, depending on both the aircraft type and whether or not it has been modified for AVOD. The 737, 757 and 767 come in several variants, so there's no "standard" AVOD is being installed on all, but it depends if your bird has been through the mod. MD-90 is non-AVOD IFE. 777 is AVOD. The MD-88, CRJ, ERJ and EMB have no IFE at all.

In addition, if you are on NW metal, there is no IFE on NW domestic aircraft. There is IFE equipment for aircraft that go TATL and TPAC, as well as Hawaii.

Thanks for the info. We're flying a 757 from Bos to Salt Lake City, than a 767-300 to Honolulu. Than a 767-300 from HNL to Salt Lake City on the return trip and a 737 to Boston.

Are you a former commercial pilot? You seem quite knowledgable about commercial jets....

Well, I for one seriously bonded with my VOD terminal on my most recent AC flights. Indeed, it's probably the only thing I enjoyed about AC this time around...:rolleyes:

Would it be a deal-breaker for me when booking a flight? No. But all other factors being equal, I would definitely book a flight with TVs.

Are you a former commercial pilot? You seem quite knowledgable about commercial jets....

I'd guess a commercial pilot would know less about the IFE systems than Flyertalker!

I suspect his/her knowledge probably comes from regular trips on Delta. When you travel regularly you become very familiar with pretty much all aspects of the passenger experience and the different aircraft.

I might pay more for a flight w/o any entertainment system if it cost only a little bit more than a flight with. If they show a movie overhead, everyone nags you to pull down your window shades (which I refuse to do) and you end up watching an edited shortened horrible movie that you would never watch at home.

Even though I have my MP3 player with maybe 900 CDs, somehow I still end up watching the movie.

DON

I might pay more for a flight w/o any entertainment system if it cost only a little bit more than a flight with. If they show a movie overhead, everyone nags you to pull down your window shades (which I refuse to do) and you end up watching an edited shortened horrible movie that you would never watch at home.

Even though I have my MP3 player with maybe 900 CDs, somehow I still end up watching the movie.

DON

haha, I agree with you Don!...I've never flown on a flight with one movie showing throughout the entire plane, and I think I'd rather have nothing than just that....I was speaking more about live satellite tv like Jetblue has, or at least personal tv's rather than overhead ones that inconvenience anyone not interested in the movie....

The last movie I saw on a flight was "Pretty in Pink" & to this day I do not know the ending...we arrived before the finish.

I am hard-of-hearing & have no use for air-TV because it is not captioned & I prefer to read.

Steve

I'd guess a commercial pilot would know less about the IFE systems than Flyertalker!

I suspect his/her knowledge probably comes from regular trips on Delta. When you travel regularly you become very familiar with pretty much all aspects of the passenger experience and the different aircraft.

The pilots only know when the FA's complain that the IFE isn't working...:D

I am not a pilot, though I play one on Cruise Critic. :D:D (Speaking of which, whatever happened to Carnac??)

My knowledge comes from a simple personality quirk...if I'm going to spend my time and money on something, I want to research it so I know what I'm buying. How to get the best "value" for my purchase, and how to maximize my enjoyment. So, I learn about aircraft (which I like and dislike, and why), airports (which are easy connects, with facilities to make the process better and which are nothing more than legalized torture), airlines & FF programs (they are NOT all the same, and you have to know what gives the best return for YOU) and fare & routing rules (to get the most bang for my travel dollar). All of which is my "investment" in getting a desirable travel experience. And since I fly a lot, it's a worthwhile investment that has "paid off" many times over.

If I have the knowledge, I share it -- it has far more value shared than hoarded. And if I don't know.....

Getting back to DL's fleet. It's a hodgepodge of aircraft originally ordered by DL, DL aircraft that got converted over to Song configuration (great move, Leo!), pickups from TWA and other carriers, and now, NW's almost completely different fleet. (The only "duplicates" are 757s and CRJs) For those who are curious, the DL blog has interesting posts on the status of aircraft modifications, including their WiFi project, the winglet project and the cabin refurb project.

I would never pay extra for entertainment when choosing a flight, only because lately I've had so many flights canceled and re booked and other times it's been 'equipment changes' so even if you book something you have no guarantee that you will get it.

I agree, it makes the flight seem shorter but if it is a big concern bring your own DVD, if not bring a book.

Absolutely essential on long haul flights, which is one of the reasons why Singapore Airlines is so popular on the Australia to UK route. It has a brilliant entertainment programme.

On short haul flights, non-essential at all.

Absolutely essential on long haul flights, which is one of the reasons why Singapore Airlines is so popular on the Australia to UK route. It has a brilliant entertainment programme.

On short haul flights, non-essential at all.

Yes, Air Canada too has the seat back videos and entertainment on their 777s between Toronto and Sydney. Last time I used points and had excellent service, seat back entertainment, a flat bed pod.

This time I'm paying for a one way ticket and Air Canada's price was $1,000 more per person.

I'll take United and save $2,000, no seat back entertainment or plug ins for laptops in economy. I do a lot of reading and sleeping.

The $2,000 savings will provide a lot of entertainment on the ground when we get to Aus.

Yes, Air Canada too has the seat back videos and entertainment on their 777s between Toronto and Sydney. Last time I used points and had excellent service, seat back entertainment, a flat bed pod.

This time I'm paying for a one way ticket and Air Canada's price was $1,000 more per person.

I'll take United and save $2,000, no seat back entertainment or plug ins for laptops in economy. I do a lot of reading and sleeping.

The $2,000 savings will provide a lot of entertainment on the ground when we get to Aus.

Hard to resist that level of saving. Guess they will still have music to keep you entertained.

Archived