Downgrade on a Guarantee Room

CoasterBill

The only time I ever see a gty cheaper than a specific cabin is close to sailing date if the ship isn't selling out. And those are usually the "entry level" cabins in each category, e.g., MM/NN or HH or (sometimes) BCs. And at the time that the gty is cheaper, there are no specific cabins available for booking in those entry level categories.

I had a specific HH booked last year, took an upsell, and then very close to sailing, the HH cabins became available at about $400/person cheaper than what I had paid.

But other than in that and similar cases (like you) I have never seen a gty cheaper than selecting a specific cabin.

My winter cruise on Oosterdam is past final payment, so maybe that makes a difference. The wesbite is showing only the Rotterdam deck Neptune suites available, at $4499 pp. The Neptune Guarantee is $3499 pp. The corner afts have been sold out for months, and I think there are only two Neptunes on another deck (other than the corner afts), and they aren't coming up as available. So if you book the $3499 suite, you're probably going to get one of the $4499 suites, unless they upgrade someone in a lower category. But most of us in the corner afts are going to hang onto what we've got. So SA is what people can get on a guarantee.

My winter cruise on Oosterdam is past final payment, so maybe that makes a difference. The wesbite is showing only the Rotterdam deck Neptune suites available, at $4499 pp. The Neptune Guarantee is $3499 pp. The corner afts have been sold out for months, and I think there are only two Neptunes on another deck (other than the corner afts), and they aren't coming up as available. So if you book the $3499 suite, you're probably going to get one of the $4499 suites, unless they upgrade someone in a lower category. But most of us in the corner afts are going to hang onto what we've got. So SA is what people can get on a guarantee.

You never know though. Someone in a corner aft could cancel at the last minute or they might get an upsell to a Pinnacle Suite. It happens.

But that's not true on HAL since the re-categorization. For example on the Vista and Signature ships VF/VE/VD are up on decks 7 and 8, and the central cabins on deck 5 with the small balconies right above the life boats that used to be VE are now the "top" level - VA on Vista and V on Sig. For that reason we no longer book guarantees.

We booked a VD category cabin on the Zuiderdam for a 26 day ATH to FLL trans Atlantic. HAL assigned us to deck 6 all the way forward, cabin 6006. We booked over a year in advance and didn't cancel and re-book when they dropped the price by a bunch. (we wanted to keep the Explore-4 and SBP). Our travel agent thought we got ripped off, because 6006 was a VD cabin, so we didn't get any upgrade, and she felt a full forward cabin on a trans-Atlantic crossing could be rough. So, without referring to us, she beat up on HAL and they moved us to deck 5, mid-ships.

As someone has noted, the Vista-Class VA category cabins on deck 5 mid-ships are in that narrow section of the ship, which makes room for the lifeboats. The balcony was very narrow, barely enough room to open the door with someone standing out there. And the view was definitely "partially obstructed" by the lifeboats. While other people were watching dolphins swimming alongside the ship, all we saw was the big top of an orange life boat. We should have stayed in 6006. So, don't trust that your upgrade is a real upgrade. Check out past cruiser's opinions of specific cabins on CC, or check the websites that provide details on ship cabins.

We booked a VD category cabin on the Zuiderdam for a 26 day ATH to FLL trans Atlantic. HAL assigned us to deck 6 all the way forward, cabin 6006. We booked over a year in advance and didn't cancel and re-book when they dropped the price by a bunch. (we wanted to keep the Explore-4 and SBP). Our travel agent thought we got ripped off, because 6006 was a VD cabin, so we didn't get any upgrade, and she felt a full forward cabin on a trans-Atlantic crossing could be rough. So, without referring to us, she beat up on HAL and they moved us to deck 5, mid-ships.

As someone has noted, the Vista-Class VA category cabins on deck 5 mid-ships are in that narrow section of the ship, which makes room for the lifeboats. The balcony was very narrow, barely enough room to open the door with someone standing out there. And the view was definitely "partially obstructed" by the lifeboats. While other people were watching dolphins swimming alongside the ship, all we saw was the big top of an orange life boat. We should have stayed in 6006. So, don't trust that your upgrade is a real upgrade. Check out past cruiser's opinions of specific cabins on CC, or check the websites that provide details on ship cabins.

I really think you should book a specific cabin. I booked a guarantee on my last cruise. I ended up with one of those balconies on 5 and thanked my lucky stars I didn't get one of those Juliette balconies on the eurodam. If I would have it wouldn't be great but I booked a guarantee.

You never know though. Someone in a corner aft could cancel at the last minute or they might get an upsell to a Pinnacle Suite. It happens.

Right now, Pinnacles and aft corners are gone, so it would have to be a cancellation. But it's highly likely they'll get one of the SA cabins for $1000pp less than if they chose one of them at this point. For that difference, I'd go with the guarantee. BTW, I don't resent the guarantee price. I paid even less for my corner aft, thanks to my TA's group booking and not taking Ex 4. :D (and prices did not go down when Ex 4 ended)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I usually book a guarantee and I do know what I am doing. That being said, it is not just balcony cabins that could be considered a downgrade. I would rather have my obstructed ocean view H cabin on the upper promenade deck than even a C on Main deck. That's for me I would rather be closer to the pool than have an unobstructed view (unless I was on an Alaska cruise.) I've had good luck with my guarantees, and that is what I normally book. My last cruise when I actually booked a specific cabin (an aft balcony cabin for a Panama canal cruise), I was offered an upsell to an SY cabin for $300 a person for a 20 day cruise, and never regretted that upsell. I have a guarantee for my cruise in three days, and still don't have a cabin assignment, and am hoping this is a good thing!

I would rather have my obstructed ocean view H cabin on the upper promenade deck than even a C on Main deck.
Me too, because I prefer the G & H floor-to-ceiling windows for light. I don't stay in my room for scenic viewing. :D Edited by catl331

It is strange what HAL considers a higher category. We like the Lower Promenade on the Prinsendam as we have quick access to either side of the ship. When we started booking these, they were C cabins so we picked a room but indicated that HAL may upgrade us (the only thing higher was a balcony). Then HAL re-categorized their cabins and these are now E. We now pick a room and say "Do Not Upgrade" because the "upgraded" cabins are on lower decks.

It is strange what HAL considers a higher category. We like the Lower Promenade on the Prinsendam as we have quick access to either side of the ship. When we started booking these, they were C cabins so we picked a room but indicated that HAL may upgrade us (the only thing higher was a balcony). Then HAL re-categorized their cabins and these are now E. We now pick a room and say "Do Not Upgrade" because the "upgraded" cabins are on lower decks.

I agree. We have several cabins that we do not want to be upgraded from, so often use the "do not upgrade" option. If it is a big upgrade, likely it will be an upsell anyway.

It is strange what HAL considers a higher category. ... Then HAL re-categorized their cabins ...
It's all about the money. Cabins that were popular and sold well were upgraded, those that didn't sell as well were downgraded.

We must have done 15 balcony gtys on various ships/cruise lines.

Only once have we asked to be put back in the gty pool for re-assignment.

We have always been happy with our cabin and in a few cases we have been thrilled.

But, we always assume that we will get the lowest category balcony cabin in a less than spectacular location. We weigh off the savings with that. So far the savings have been good and the assignments better.

We have moved down from a category to a gty when the savings have been substantial. We have also moved up from a gty. to an assigned cabin when the prices dropped prior to final payment.

Edited by iancal

Only once have we asked to be put back in the gty pool for re-assignment.

HAL doesn't have a "guarantee pool" for reassignment, so it could be misleading to mention it on the HAL board. People might not realize you are not talking about HAL.

The changes to the SS/SY categories are still confusing. Since a year or two ago the higher valued SS were on the 8th(navigation level) and the lower fare SY on the 6th.

AS folks complained about the noise from the LIDO decks, and preferred the quieter 6th floor cabins, HAL has switched it around.

So an upgrade from the SY to the SS, will now get you to the 6th level.