HAL in three-way, four vessel swap with Carnival, Costa and P&O

Copper10-8

after reading the first few lines which stated that Veendam was being sold I froze and thought "well that's just great, just when we wanted to sail to Bermuda on that ship!" :mad:

..... and then I thought..... "wait a minute, when was this post started"?? :rolleyes:

.... thank God it was April 1st :p

Oh, I was thinking that the two ships HAL was getting from Costa & Princess would be renamed "Hooverdam" and "Beaverdam."

The first one would sell only Mead in the bar; the second would be leased to Olivia travel agency.

[quote name='mikefang']john, i sense a large number of barking dog calls in your future! What was that back door number to your dispatch center again?
:p
mike[/quote]

[font=comic sans ms][size=3][color=navy]51-50[/color][/size][/font];)

[SIZE=3]Oh my Lord John...I've been had twice in two days..:confused:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]First by Rich with his Alaskan & Hawaiian $$$ and now you..;)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I was so sad..:o.Even downloaded your post for DH & our Friends before I finished reading it..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]John you are just as bad as "Bad Bad Leroy Brown, baddest man in the whole damn town." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]No more Wang Wang's for you!!:eek:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Betty[/SIZE]

[quote name='elycelynne']So then where's Pansdam (Potsdam's sister ship)?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Pansdam doesn't exist, never has;). Boytie's is correct, however, in that Potsdam is the capital city of the German federal state of Brandenburg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] and is part of the Berlin/Brandenburg metropolitan area[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]. It is situated on the River Havel[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy], southwest of the center of Berlin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]The ss Potsdam[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] was an ocean liner [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]built in 1900 by the Blohm + Voss [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]shipyard in Hamburg, Germany[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] for the Holland America Line f[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]or their transatlantic[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] service from Rotterdam to New York[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]. She was the largest ship operated by HAL at the time.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]In 1915 HAL sold the ship to the newly-founded Swedish-American Line[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] who renamed her SS Stockholm for their transatlantic service from Gothenburg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] to New York. In 1929 she was again sold to Norwegian[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] interests and converted to the whale factory ship[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] ss Solglimt. Following the German invasion of Norway[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] in 1940, the Solglimt was captured by the German Kriegsmarine (Navy)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy], transferred to the First German Whaling Company[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] and renamed ss Sonderburg.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]The Sondenburg was scuttled by German troops in 1944 to block entrance to the harbor of Cherbourg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] in France. In 1946 she was partially demolished to clear the shipway, with the final remains towed to the United Kingdom [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]in 1947 to be scrapped.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Pansdam doesn't exist, never has;). Boytie's is correct, however, in that Potsdam is the capital city of the German federal state of Brandenburg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] and is part of the Berlin/Brandenburg metropolitan area[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy].

Wow, do I feel stupid now. I assumed that Potsdam and Pansdam (pots and pans) were both fictional; hence, my comment about the Dutch oven. I must say, though (not that everyone already doesn't know this), you're certainly a font of knowledge! :D

Archived