NYC, Statue of Liberty and MS Veendam

Colakid

Having never been to NYC and looking into travelling to Bermuda on the MS Veendam in the summer of 2010 DW and myself are wondering once starting out of the harbour of NYC do you pass by old Liberty close enough to enjoy or is she a distant memmory? I know weather can be a factor and we would take that into account and just blame the captain and make us stay on board until we got a better view. Here's hoping. Thank you from Colakid.

I've sailed out of NYC many times. About 20-30 minutes after sailing you get a great view of the Statue of Liberty as you pass. She's on starboard side.

The most beautiful sail down the Hudson, and past the Statue, was on a balmy Friday evening in August '03, as we sailed late---about 1:00 AM. The Statue was bathed in lights. Gorgeous.

Why don't you fly in a day early and visit the Old Lady.

We have gotten to the point where we are traveling early and staying late to tour the cities we are passing through and it is really worth wile.

We did the statue on our last cruise thru New York and it takes a whole day to stand in line for the ferry, go to the island,and then go to ellis island.

Enjoy

Ruth & Jim

Hi RuthC and Mamaofami. I knew you veterines would come through and tell us what goes down in NYC. I guess now we have to see if we can afford to book this wonderful trip. We will be travelling aboard the MS Maasdam in just over 4 weeks and must reach back and make the decision and talk to the onboard agent and make the deposit. Thank you Jim. I will pass this along to DW and see where it gets me and the family. Thank you as always. Colakid

colakid, sailing past the Statue of Liberty is a breathtaking experience. We sailed on the Noordam from NYC in February '07 and '08...and that was a highlight of our cruises.

We're booked on the Veendam to Bermuda in October of '10, and I know seeing Lady Liberty once again will be a highlight of our cruise!

You get pretty close for a few minutes. If you're in NYC the day before you can take a boat over to the Statue of Liberty or, the bargain of the century, you can take the Staten Island Ferry for free and get a view similar to the view you will get from a cruise ship.

I hope that HAL will still use the same NYC cruise terminal they have been using for so many years. Hopefully, the Bermuda sailings will still depart from there. It is just breathtaking cruising down the Hudson viewing the Manhattan skyline on the port side and then on the starboard passing Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. We have done this many times and it never gets tiring.

Regretfully, CUNARD and PRINCESS have chosen to sail out of the fairly new Brooklyn cruise terminal. You still see the Statue of Liberty but you do not get as close to it as if you were leaving from the NYC terminal. I hope HAL doesn't decide to use the Brooklyn site any time soon.

Having never been to NYC and looking into travelling to Bermuda on the MS Veendam in the summer of 2010 DW and myself are wondering once starting out of the harbour of NYC do you pass by old Liberty close enough to enjoy or is she a distant memmory? I know weather can be a factor and we would take that into account and just blame the captain and make us stay on board until we got a better view. Here's hoping. Thank you from Colakid.

Get there a day or so early I know NY hotels can be very expensive but if you shop around you will get something to suit your budget. A trip to Liberty is great but even better include Ellis Island the history of immigration to the USA, for history buffs like us a experience of a lifetime.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but our Bermuda cruise is getting closer and we have to make decisions. I understand we need to book a starboard room for embarkation and need to stay in NYC a few days ahead. How about some help for hotels and packages whilst there in advance for say 3 days. I know we need to see Times Square,Ground Zero,Fifth Ave,Statue of Liberty,Central Park,Empire State Building,Brooklyn Bridge,subway system and many more. Which airport would be best for flying into and outfrom pre and post cruise? Just back from Alaska for the 4th time and ready to get back on another DAM ship. Can you feel the excitement!!!!! Thank You. Colakid.

I understand we need to book a starboard room for embarkation and need to stay in NYC a few days ahead.

Why starboard? For the amount of time to sail by the Statue of Liberty? Just go to an upper deck, you won't see it for that long. And Manhattan will be port side...

How about some help for hotels and packages whilst there in advance for say 3 days. I know we need to see Times Square,Ground Zero,Fifth Ave,Statue of Liberty,Central Park,Empire State Building,Brooklyn Bridge,subway system and many more. Which airport would be best for flying into and outfrom pre and post cruise?
Check out the Ports of Call boards, there may be more info there. Yes, I live in New York but can't really offer much advice on hotels since I never stay in one! :)

You will have a spectacular view from the ship! Here is one from our 6am arrival in NYC last fall on our Canada/New England trip. Its not the best, but not bad for hand held from our verandah in the dark on a moving ship :D

4200160773_7a27641ff7_b.jpg

Agree....AWESOME photo!!

Manhattan can be seen from the port side prior to reaching the Lady, then over to the starboard side for Lady Liberty. Aft offers a great mix. My first real eye view of the Statue of Liberty was from a cruiseship (let's see...it was from the then NCL Dreamward)....wonderful experience!

Looking forward to it all again in October!

you will have a spectacular view from the ship! Here is one from our 6am arrival in nyc last fall on our canada/new england trip. Its not the best, but not bad for hand held from our verandah in the dark on a moving ship :d

4200160773_7a27641ff7_b.jpg

an amazing photograph. Can't wait to see it in person from the prinsendam next may

thank you for sharing it

cris

Archived