Does size matter?

MoneyGuy

A friend of mine loves the big ships. The bigger the better. He's looking at booking on a ship of over 5,000 passengers. He'd love to be on the largest ship in the world. He sees that as a status thing. I on the other hand want a mid-sized ship, or smaller. He thinks he's getting more options on a big ship, but I figure a 2,000-passenger ship has everything you need. I wouldn't want to be on a large ship like that. I'de never be able to remember where anything is. I think I'd hate it.

Discuss.

A friend of mine loves the big ships. The bigger the better. He's looking at booking on a ship of over 5,000 passengers. He'd love to be on the largest ship in the world. He sees that as a status thing. I on the other hand want a mid-sized ship, or smaller. He thinks he's getting more options on a big ship, but I figure a 2,000-passenger ship has everything you need. I wouldn't want to be on a large ship like that. I'de never be able to remember where anything is. I think I'd hate it.

Discuss.

There are some things where size matters ;). No question that a larger ship is more stable in rough weather. A larger ship has economies of scale for investing in bigger and better shows, amenities like bowling alleys, skating rinks, wave runners, rock climbing walls, minature golf.

With the size come crowds for dining, buffet, elevators, shows, pool chairs. Big comes to a point where the ship offers everything that you can find in a small city and becomes less a cruise experience then simply visiting another crowded city and battling for everything.

Personally I think 3,000 or 120K tons is getting about as big as makes sense. Really can't see how its going to be fun in port when 5,000 people try to get into town off one or two gang ways :eek: I don't see much prestige or fun vacations in that experience.

He'd love to be on the largest ship in the world. He sees that as a status thing. .

LOL! Uh, the price & luxury & prestige are usually inversely proportional to the size of the ship. Yes, there are more things to do on a mega-ship - that would be the justification for the inconvenience of one.

A benefit of cruising for me is that feeling of getting away from it all. I don't want to take a small city with me. Give me a ship of no more than a thousand passengers.

Fran

We mostly cruise on the smaller Princess ships. They hold about 700 passengers.

First, we love the itineraries. We have been to many places the big ships can't go.

Second, you get to know the other passengers and the crew.

Can't imagine sailing on a ship w/ 3500 pax, much less 5000. We typically cruise on HAL, on ships with anywhere from 1700-2200 pax. Works for us. Certainly fewer of what some might see as "amenities" such as miniature golf, rockwalls, waterslides, etc.. but all of those things bring kids and we don't want to spend our vacation w/ a bunch of noisy kids.

But then we aren't bringing kids with us as we're in our early 60s. Lots of choices for folks out there and I hope the families continue to opt for the bigger ships.

We have sailed on the RC Freedom class ship with 4000+ passengers. Yes, it was nice, and had more amenities, but we have also sailed on smaller ships. We prefer the smaller ships. They seem to make for a more intimate sailing. You get to know your fellow passengers better, and the crew better. Seems on the larger ships, everyone is always in a hurry. On the smaller ships, it is much more slower paced, and you can enjoy your cruise much more.

The number of passengers on board is really irrelevant. When you look at the space to passenger ratios, the big ships are really no different than the small ones. Sure there's a lot more people, but there's also alot more space.

Personally, I like the big ships. On the other hand, I also like the small ones.

A friend of mine loves the big ships. The bigger the better. He's looking at booking on a ship of over 5,000 passengers. He'd love to be on the largest ship in the world. He sees that as a status thing.

I am not sure why being one small ant in a very large anthill is a status thing. I've never been - and never wish to be - on a ship with more than 700 passengers. "Status" (if that's a consideration) means quite the opposite - the fewer passengers and the larger the ratio of crew to passengers, the more individual the attention, and the more luxurious the experience.

We also are not interested in those Mega ships with 5000 passengers.

We also prefer the 2000 and less passenger ships.

One time we were in Ocho Rios -- watched as an RCI ship arrived and the gangways were opened -- it looked like thousands of ants getting off the ship from 3 openings.

Give us the smaller ships!!! I disagree with the poster that said it doesn't matter how many are on board, there is a huge difference being on a ship with 700 or less vs a ship with 2000. Very little waiting in lines to get through a buffet or to tender to a port. You get to know your fellow passengers more on a small ship as you run into each other a lot more often and recognize each other more. Good thing there are so many options out there for all of us.

The biggest ship we've been on is the Star Princess, and we liked her just fine. Liked the smaller ships too, so maybe we just like cruising and ships. I'd like to go on a truly humongous one at least once, just to see what it's like.

My first cruise was on the Voyager Class on RCCL. There were too many people and I did not care for all of the extras such as the ice skating rink. I LOVE the smaller ships. More personalized service, fewer people, less lines, better food. You will never catch me on anything larger than a Radiance class ship again. I personally hope the Oasis and Allure end up being sold to the United Arab Emerince and end up being anchored off shore as floating hotels!

Bigger ain't necessarily better. It's not the size of the ship but the size to passenger ratio that I look at. I find the Grand Class of Princess ships a bit crowded at times. I guess that's why I'm happiest aboard the QM2, large ship but fewer passengers. But it's your cruise so it's your choice.

The number of passengers on board is really irrelevant. When you look at the space to passenger ratios, the big ships are really no different than the small ones. Sure there's a lot more people, but there's also alot more space.

Personally, I like the big ships. On the other hand, I also like the small ones.

This at the highest level may sound correct but when you dive into the details the number of elevators dont' scale, then don't quadruble the number of entrances to the theater or dining room, nor do the most popular places like grand atrium or other places scale accordingly, thus large ship = large crowds as eveyrone wants to be in the same place, not in their cabin the miles of hallway leading to it. The space angle makes sense some of the time, its not what happens during the evening rush time. For some that is a inconvenience that comes with the benefits, for others its all the reason to avoid them monsters :D

we have had a blast on ships both large and what would be considered small. For us, the best has been RC's Vision class. The size of the ship and capacity is great. We are very hesitant to go on Oasis because of the # of people on the ship...we had a blast on Liberty but in addition to the # of people on board...the size of the ship has made it so the itinerary is less than exciting (cant tender so some of the more appealing ports are out of the question)

I like the wide hallways on the voyager and freedom class because I can wheel around the linen carts and I do enjoy the Grand Promenade.I meet a lot of nice people there. I love to sit and enjoy a great cup of Seattles Best coffee in Sorentos and there ius no charge unlike the shop on the Brilliance class and no Grand Promenade.

The friend has it backwards - there's NO "status" to booking the mega-ships. Just as there's no "status" to buying your clothes at Walmart ;-)

For me, HAL is the best fit. I love the 1200-1300 passenger ships and will give their 2000-passenger ship a fair try. One reason is the same ship holds 2000 passengers on HAL and 2400 on either Disney or Carnival so it'll still be an improvement over my many DCL cruises (and my ancient history on a Carnival cruise).

I would stay home before I'd cruise on a 3000 or 5000+ ship! The extra features those ships have are all things I'll gladly do without in exchange for a much smaller crowd and relatively few kids running around.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

OH MY YES, size certainly does matter. My friend and I are moderately mobility challenged. While we can walk, and don't need a wheelchair, the Grand Princess Med cruise we took in Oct '08, was definitely challenging to us. I selected our cabin aft, because of close proximity to the elevator and the laundrette, and the main dining room is aft. Thought we could just pop up and down the elevator to meals. WRONG, breakfast and lunch weren't served in the main dining room. We had to traverse to mid-ships to get to the smaller dining room.

Then the Princess theater was all the way forward, NOW take into consideration she is 951 feet long. We made the trek ONCE to assemble for a tour. After that trek, we knew we wouldn't be going to any shows there. We opted to attend a couple mid-ship in the Vista Lounge.

Tendering from a ship this size with approx 2800 passengers was a nightmare. We only did that once, in Santorini. But even just debarking in each port, there was always a line. Lines to eat, lines to use the restrooms, lines for the shows, lines, to get off the ship and lines to get back on, and there was always a line at the pursers desk. Just too many people.

At 110,000 gross tons, this was the largest ship we've sailed. I wouldn't want to be on any larger ones. I prefer the smaller ships with around 1200-1300 passengers. The ship is large enough for sailing comfort, but not so many people you can't enjoy the fact that you are on a cruise.

We recently cruised on the Emerald Princess. Biggest plus were the dining options. Biggest minus was the lack of deck chairs. On other ships we could always find a nice lounge chair in the shade, but not on the Emerald. I would do another cruise on a big ship but prefer the smaller.

Discuss.

I agree with you! I like the ships that range from 90,000 to 110,000 tons. They are big enough to give a better ride, DW gets sea sick from time to time. We went on the Carnival Holiday (around 40,000 ton ship) and it rocked and rolled like crazy, too much motion for my DW.

These Mega ships that RCI is building, IMHO, are way too big and 5000 passengers is way too much.

Archived