Anyone out there cruised on Carnival?

cimarrongirl

Just got off the valor I think it is time i give PO an other try.

I'm confused by this post. On July 23, you state you just completed 20 on Carnival. On August 13 you say you just completed a b2b on Valor and it is time to give PO another try.:confused:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Being a low life, tattooed, (formerly pony tailed), with running shoes I must say I wish I had met you on my Carnival cruises. Perhaps we could have shared a cigar and a swig-o-beer you condescending dolt.

Would you mind if I joined you?:cool: I don't think I could stand dealing with this "class"(HAH!) of people.

The thing I always enjoyed on CCL is the fact that most people on board are more down-to earth, not worrying about status.

"Beers to you!";)

• 1 month later...

My first Carnival cruise was on the Destiny. This old bucket of rotting bolts should have been decommisioned years ago and sank. After being spoiled on Princess, Celebrity and RCCL I was amazed at just how terrible this cruise was. If it could break, it did. With no A/C for the week, guest relations had signs posted they were all out of portable fans to lend out. And the dining staff was terrible. They spend so much time getting ready for their nightly 'show' that the service suffered beyond comprehension. Three nights, no coffee or desserts because they didn't have time. SHAME ON THEM. Swore I'd never cruise Carnival again. Well, after a few years I fiqured I'd give it another try. Somewhat better, at least everything that was supposed to be working actually was. Although we did manage to get coffee and dessert every night I started to think we were better off when they didn't have time. I've had better food in high school cafaterias. As for the service -- it still sucked. It was like they really wanted to get the service over with as soon as possible. There's a reason carnival is so cheap -- it shows in every aspect of the cruise. Second time - SHAME ON ME for going back. There won't be a third time I promise you that. I'll spend a few extra bucks and cruise RCCL, Princess or Celebrity.

I have cruised Celebrity and in 3 weeks I will be sailing Carnival but from all that I have seen and heard, I would think that the kids would enjoy Carnival the most, afterall there are waterslides etc. Happy Sailing with which ever ship you choose.

First of all, what is so terrible about shopping at Wal-Mart? Are you above shopping there because you don't want to be exposed to those of us who may not have whatever income level you may have? Also, whats wrong with wanting to save money by purchasing your items at Wal-Mart, rather than buying the exact items at pricier stores? I suppose you would include me in your "very general" category of people due to the fact that I shop at Wal-Mart. Hey, am sure you don't know that I am NOT one of those people who tend to be loud and crass. Before you categorize all, or most of the passengers on your Carnival cruise, perhaps it might do you well to mix with others. Perhaps you did mix with other passengers on your Carnival cruise, but were all of them of such a "low status"?

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

We love Carnival. I am 55, my DH is 46. Our first experience cruising was on HAL - not for us. We have a younger outlook and prefer a ship with more diversity. Plus, being early retirees we are both nightowls and Carnival's activities are open late, well past midnight. We live in Las Vegas, home to some of the greatest restaurants in the world, and we find the food on Carnival to be very good, even excellent at times. The service is wonderful, the ships are always clean, and Camp Carnival is great for kids - keeps them occupied with having fun and out of the adult areas such as bars, discos, etc. Wal-Mart of cruising? Well, if enjoying a bargain and the opportunity to meet and mingle with people of all income levels and interests means Wal-Mart, I'll happily shop there. (Oh, I already do!) If you feel the more sedate activities would be more your style, try the great Trivia games, the showroom, late dining and eschew the disco for the easy listening entertainment. What's so great about Carnival is they provide many different choices with a wide variety of activities at any given time so you can always find something that you personally find interesting. I'm looking forward to sailing on the Dream but before then we have the Mexican Riviera and then Alaska later this summer - on Carnival, of course.

I just got back from my third Carnival cruise, and second during Thanksgiving week, this time to the Western Caribbean on the Valor. The ship was full with 3500 passengers and almost 1000 children. Rarely saw the kids because they were so occupied with the children's programs. There's a lovely adults only deck on 9 behind Rosie's with lots of tables and chairs, a bar, pool and 2 hot tubs. Very quiet and relaxing. The wine/martini bar was a great place to enjoy a cocktail, or two, with other like-minded adults. There was so much to do I couldn't do it all. Good thing I have another cruise booked for next year.

Been on a number of different cruise lines and seems like always lots of children on Carnival.

08/82 RCCL Sun Viking

06/87 CCL Festivale

05/91 NCL Skyward

05/93 Prin Pacific

07/93 CCL Carnivale

03/94 Com Enchanted Seas

06/95 Com Enchanted Isle

06/97 NCL Windward

05/98 RCC Grandeur

03/99 NCL Sea

12/00 NCL Sea

10/01 RCCL Rhapsody

06/02 ROCL Olym Voy

06/03 CCL Jubilee

01/04 NCL Sea

06/04 NCL Sun

08/05 CCL Holiday

10/05 Celeb Galaxy

12/05 CCL Liberty

03/06 Celeb Mercury

08/06 RCCL Rhapsody

09/06 NCL Dawn

11/06 Prin Sun

01/07 RCCL Rhapsody

03/07 Prin Sea

11/07 Prin Star

08/08 CCL Glory

09/08 CCL Ecstasy

11/08 CCL Holiday

11/08 NCL Spirit

04/09 Prin Island

09/09 NCL Majesty

10/09 Prin Emerald

01/10 Costa Pacifica

Check out the Carnival message boards today!! A woman was assaulted for supposedly "taking cuts". The responses made the posters seem like total idiots, for the most part. They seemed unsympathetic to the OP and ready to fight themselves!!

If this is the type of person who travels on Carnival, no thank you!! Even if there are only a few of this caliber on the ship, I don't want to be on it!! I'll take traveling with HAL old folks anytime over this!!

JMO

Check out the Carnival message boards today!! A woman was assaulted for supposedly "taking cuts". The responses made the posters seem like total idiots, for the most part. They seemed unsympathetic to the OP and ready to fight themselves!!

If this is the type of person who travels on Carnival, no thank you!! Even if there are only a few of this caliber on the ship, I don't want to be on it!! I'll take traveling with HAL old folks anytime over this!!

JMO

You know, if you want to find the negative, you will. I'll bet you can find similar posts for every other cruise line if you want to look for them. Posts like this are a very small minority on every board. I'm guessing you've never cruised on Carnival, but you're entitled to your opinion. No cruiseline is for everyone. I probably wouldn't like HAL, but I don't bash it because I've never tried it.

Carnival is the first line we ever cruised on. We have very fond memories!!

Did I bash Carnival? I believe my post was bashing the behaviors of some of the people who posted on the Carnival boards, about a Carnival passenger.

Good thing there are different lines for various groups. HAL gets bashed all the time for catering to an older, more sedate crowd. I guess that's why you said you might not like it--but hey, that's your preference. Not worth giving it a second thought. On the HAL boards, we are amused at how others see us. I guess the Carnival people are more thin skinned!

I'm cruising with Costa now rather than Carnival, but if Costa pulls out of the Caribbean, I'll go back to Carnival without hesitation. I never felt too old, or sailing with the wrong "class" of people, and children were never an issue (I usually cruise after New Year's). Yes, the dancing waiters are really annoying, but otherwise, I thought the Dining Room was pretty good value.

I bash HAL because I've tried it. Not til I'm dead and buried will I go back on one of those floating mausoleums.

Bob, you are too funny. I will have to remember that line---floating mausaleum!!

We have been on 2 HAL cruises. The first one was to Istanbul, Israel, Egypt etc. when we were 50. The crowd was pretty much our age. The second was when we were 58----2 week Europe. That crowd was probably averaged age 60+. We waited to cruise Alaska until we were old---we are doing that next August, only because the Kiel canal cruise/russia was full on HAL. I'll let you know what that age group is. But, judging by the CC groups, I would guess no where near the mausaleum yet.

Now, last winter on Celebrity in the Caribbean---that was more like the "nearly dead". Those people on scooters were truly dangerous!!

I have a feeling the older folks like the relaxation of the caribbean. They probably would steer clear of an active cruise.

My husband and I are active---I do aerobics/zumba/elliptical everyday. But, we are avoiding RCCL because we want to be with our age group. We don't want to freak out the younger crowd and have them talk about us!

I'm a 60-year-old guy with a heart condition. When I look around and think I'm the fittest and most active person on the ship, there's a problem! My travel agent, who was on board as the agency rep for the group I was with, swore the average age was 62, which I found unbelievable. (This was Oosterdam TA this October, but I was on the Maasdam a couple of years ago, same impression.)

My agent has been told in no uncertain terms to take me off his mailing list for anything HAL. But I'm quite happy in the Caribbean in winter- I'm going on the Costa Fortuna for 5 weeks in January.

JMO

I think you should stick to HAL. A few days before our HAL cruise I called to change our dining time from late to early as our friend traveling with us had just come out of the hospital having been diagnosed with diabetes and had been in diabetic shock. The customer representative was rude, said you can't change this late. I said, oh I thought suites could get their desired times for meals. She said oh, you are in a suite?????? Initially, she never asked our booking number or anything. When she found out we were in the suites as were our traveling companions, she changed her tune.

We ordered room service one night and it was lobster night. We called early in the day to request a specific time. We were told everything was fine. The time came and went, nothing. About 45 minutes later, I called and somehow our order was lost. A few minutes later part of our order showed up. We were told that the lobster would be there shortly. The four of us, (friends in adjacent suite and us) waited. Again, nothing. We decided to leave to go to the buffet and lo and behold, as we opened the door, the room service man was there.

We have sailed HAL and think it is the most boring cruiseline to date. We also had the worst service we have ever had on any cruise line. Our waiter, never got one thing that my husband ordered right. There were only 4 of us at a table, and every single thing he ordered, was never given to him. After two nights of this we gave up and ate at the buffet.

Never again will we go on a HAL cruise.

You could have the same thing happen on any ship as what happened on Carnival, but since the posters are idiots, I guess you should stick with HAL where you will be happier. I am NOT saying that what happened to the OP was right, but I don't think that everyone was unsympathetic to the OP. It's like a review, you see one thing and I see another.

The point is, a woman got beat up because it was thought she took cuts. There shouldn't have been even ONE post that wasn't sympathetic to her. I was disgusted that anyone would try to make her feel bad, or doubt herself. I guess I took it personally, because I taught in the inner city where I have heard teachers and parents threaten to lay someone out. I find that kind of talk very uncivilized, also adult women beating on each other.

Thank you for your candidness. I know Carnival would not be a good fit for us anymore. We don't drink and party like we once did. I can see that HAL would be very boring for you. We are fortunate there are so many cruiselines for different types of people. We stick with Celebrity,Azamara, Oceania, or HAL.

If you posted on HAL about your bad service etc, they would have bashed you, like I have been here!! It can happen on any cruiseline. None of them are perfect. They wouldn't stay in business long if they were as bad as some of the negative reviewers believe!! I do believe what you said about the Customer Reps. They are pretty bad at HAL!!

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I are both 57 and Carnival is our favorite cruise line. The food is so much better than the other lines we've been on recently and we enjoy the entertainment on Carnival. We haven't found any other lines that compare with Carnival's food quality and menu selection.

I don't think there is any more partying on Carnival than on Princess, but the partying is more fun on Carnival. They have plenty of activities to keep things going.

We have not sailed on HAL, so I can't compare with it. We've found on Celebrity and NCL that there's just not that much in the way of ship's activities. Maybe that's why Carnival's got the partying reputation...Carnival keeps something going all the time so everyone has to have a good time!

As far as a lot of kids...like any of the lines, you will have more kids during spring break, Christmas break, Thanksgiving week, and the summer months. To avoid a lot of kids, book during the the months and weeks school is in session. Of course you will always have parents who think it's okay to take their kids out of school at any time of the year, but there will be less during the months school is in.

Some people here are snotty. I sailed my first CC cruise out of Miami last month. DH and I were already visiting my son and DIL in FL so I thought may be we can have a weekend gateaway to the Bahamas and it was my son's b-day weekend. We sailed on Imagination Nov 13th (the 4 of us) and I was pleasantly surprised. There were not many roudy people as CC passengers have been stereotyped. Actually there were a lot of older people I thought I was sailing on HAL. May be just got lucky? But to tell you the truth service and food was much better than my RCL Voyager of the Seas W. Mediterranean cruise.

I have been on several different cruiselines and I don't remember one

bad thing about any of them.

I didn't notice if there were too many older people, too many younger

people or too many partiers. I was busy enjoying myself and the other

people I was with.

Of course I like some of the food better than others but I would

never boycott a cruiseline because I didn't care for the food. The food

can be different on different ships within the same line. It can be entirely

different the next time you cruise.

The service can also be different on each ship. You could get a wonderful

waiter one time and the next time a terrible one on the same ship.

I choose a cruise based on the iteniary, time I can cruise and the cost.

The cruiseline makes no difference to me. I can have a good time anywhere.:)

I have no idea what " she took cuts" means so I guess I'm one of those backwards folks. I've only sailed 3 times once on Princess & twice on Carnival. I'm currently booked on the new Carnival Dream. My son & his wife love RCCL, but as another cruiser stated I choose a cruise by when I can go, where I want to go, & what I'll have to pay to go. All were wonderful!! If anyone thinks they will like everyone on a ship or everything they are really living in a make believe world. I don't like everyone or everything about anything! But c'mon tennis shoes and hairdos? I've seen complainers of many things but is this for real? Who in the world looks up & down other folks on a ship to see what shoes they have on and what could that actually have to do with what kind of cruise you're going to have? But you really hit my pet peeve when you start bashing Wal-Mart! My motto " If Wal-Mart ain't got it you don't need it!!"

Archived