Do they ever discount the Penthouse?

WineDown17

Been watching the PH on my upcoming sailing on Summit. It has come on and off the market...

We leave in 3 weeks..

What are the chances the price will drop considerably?

Can I call and make a lowball offer for it?

Or do you think think they will keep it and offer it as a prize in Bingo, or something similar??

They don't ever discount the PH, and if you want it, you have to pay full price. We always book the PH, and even when every other cabin has had a discount, including the Royals, the PH has never been reduced. We've been in the PH for maybe 18 cruises or more and always paid full price. For whatever reason, they prefer to keep them empty rather than start a cycle of reducing the price on their most expensive suite.

What kitty stated is not always the case.

We had a PH booked for an upcoming cruise. When we cancelled, the suite went back on the market for more than we had booked it for. I was in touch with others on the cruise, and finally one couple contacted Celebrity at the last moment, threw them a lowball offer, and Celebrity took it. They paid less than what we had originally booked and held it for.

What kitty stated is not always the case.

We had a PH booked for an upcoming cruise. When we cancelled, the suite went back on the market for more than we had booked it for. I was in touch with others on the cruise, and finally one couple contacted Celebrity at the last moment, threw them a lowball offer, and Celebrity took it. They paid less than what we had originally booked and held it for.

OK.. that is more in line with what I had heard.. but did not know of anyone it happened to.

It would be amazing.

I will keep my eyes open..but my hopes low.

Any idea how last minute or how low?!?!

Any idea how last minute or how low?!?!

He knew what we had booked it for, so I believe he offered $2k less. As for the timing, it wasn't that last minute, but both PH's had been sitting empty for a time after we cancelled, and I don't recall the other one ever actually being off the market. So, I guess Celebrity was willing to let it go and at least get something...

You can win it at Bingo:D I am not kidding.

On our March 2009, cruise on the Constellation the PH was not sold. They offered a special Bingo game and the winner won the PH for the cruise.

You can win it at Bingo:D I am not kidding.

On our March 2009, cruise on the Constellation the PH was not sold. They offered a special Bingo game and the winner won the PH for the cruise.

All this time, I've made those snide comments about Bingo! I'm an idiot. I now LOVE Bingo!!

Denny

Back in Nov 2007 we had booked a Royal Suite on a Panama Canal cruise on Summit. I had noticed just before they took the cruise off sale that a Penthouse was still available. I asked on boarding and was told the usual, ship is full, so I said I had seen this available three days before, so she went to check.

We were told we could upgrade from the Royal to the Penthouse for $1800 total for both of us, we jumped at the chance. If we had booked it in advance it would have cost around $9000. If I am correct I think Kitty9 was in the other penthouse on this cruise.

So if it's available just before the cruise closes get onboard early and ask.

I believe it was on this board that I read about some people "renting" the PH for a day as they and their friends sailed through the Panama Canal. They knew that it was vacant for the entire cruise so they approached the Hotel Director and made a deal.

Creative and smart on both parties, don't you think?

I believe it was on this board that I read about some people "renting" the PH for a day as they and their friends sailed through the Panama Canal. They knew that it was vacant for the entire cruise so they approached the Hotel Director and made a deal.

Creative and smart on both parties, don't you think?

Very creative and smart. That would be a great place to watch the transit. Unfortunately, on our Panama Canal cruise, the penthouses are sold.

I know for a fact PH are discounted , that was how I booked mine for my upcoming cruise. I was in a RS that was discounted and then the PH came up discounted. In fact I think almost every category was discounted on this sailing... it is now sold out.

On our Millie cruise two years ago, a fellow Cruise Critic couple had a Royal booked and were called by Celebrity and offered a "great deal" to switch to the penthouse. I don't know what the deal was; but they took it; and we had a great party in their suite!

A few years ago friends of ours were in a Celebrity Suite and we were in Concierge Class. There was a PH open right up until the time Celebrity pulled it off the market 2-3 days prior to sailing. Our friends had their eye on the PH and went straight to Guest Relations upon boarding around Noon and inquired. For a 14 day Panama Canal cruise it was theirs for a $3000 upgrade fee. Factoring what they had already paid for the Celebrity Suite the total cost to sail in the PH was just a little less than half the price it had been going for at retail. In turn, we paid $700 to upgrade from our Concierge Class to their now-vacated Celebrity Suite.

As to Bingo, last year on a Summit Transatlantic cruise we were in the Sky Suite that adjoins one of the Penthouses. The PH was vacant and it was "won" at Bingo either the 2nd or 3rd day out. My guess is that if both Penthouses are occupied, if there is any other open suite accomodation, Celebrity will give it away via Bingo. In other words, it doesn't have to be a PH, but rather any open, available suite.

On this same cruise, we enquired about a vacant Royal Suite two doors down from our Sky Suite. According to the butler's manifest it was occupied (it had been availalbe on Celebrity's site up until 2-3 days before sailing). After the first two nights on board, the RS was still vacant (which the butler then confirmed). I called Guest Relations asking specifically about the availabity of that particular Royal Suite. They called back a few minutes later and said we could have it for $1500, which we accepted.

To anyone looking to upgrade on board ship, my advice is to ask for a specific cabin/suite if you have an idea it's available rather than simply getting your name on a miles-long list of people looking to move up. In our experience, you get more positive results going this route. Also, if you have an idea a certain cabin/suite is available, check with the butler and/or room steward to see if they can confirm or deny availability. If yes, call or go to Guest Relations and specifically ask for that cabin/suite.

I should point out these upgrade exeriences aren't exactly the question the OP was asking. I have never tried "wheeling and dealing" for a reduced price upgrade before boarding. But in these times when there are probably sailings that do not sell out, it's anyones guess what you can negotiate. It's a buyers market everywhere else, why not for big ticket items, too! (Yesterday I bought something on Ebay for 1/2 of what the seller was asking on "buy it now". However I noticed that he/she was also accepting "best offers").

We upgraded on board Summit last year from a veranda to a CC cabin. Imagine someone in an inside or OV cabin who would have loved to be able to move to that now-vacant veranda. Nope. It was right above our new cabin and stayed unoccupied for the entire cruise. So I think the ides of asking for a specific cabin is good advice--they just don't seem to want to go through the trouble of multiple move-ups. (We were also offered an upgrade to a RS for $7500! Some deal!)

We had to spend the first night in our original cabin, and moved the next day, which was a sea day. You should have seen the looks we got wheeling our huge suitcases up and down the hallways and elevators--we said, "we don't like this and we're getting off"--in the middle of the Med!

Cathy

We had a PH booked for an upcoming cruise. When we cancelled, the suite went back on the market for more than we had booked it for.

Kent,

I can't believe you canceled the PH. :D

The price on the penthouse suite can move around quite a bit. On an upcoming Alaskan cruise, the first day of pricing came out the PH went up about $2K (right after the first one was booked), it looked too costly at that time and even though one in our group wanted it, they booked a royal suite instead. Then, low and behold, the economy fell apart and the PH came back on... and we booked it for them at about $4K less then it was on the day one pricing (and just a few thousand more then the royal). So in a 6 month stretch the cost varied about $6K- from $9K to $15K... so as with anything else, the pricing does move around (but with only 2 it is harder to document if the price drops). We are looking forward to spending happy hour our friends PH deck during our upcoming cruise.

On an Australian Cruise, a friend of ours won the penthouse suite at bingo... judging from the number of people at bingo, I think they may have done alright on it- and it absolutely made our friends trip.

Archived