Trivia Games

kitty'sAuntie

It seems like most good trivia teams have people with different areas of expertize.On a 30 day cruise to Australia our group had a chemist, a scientest, a school teacher ,a minester and my daughter in law who is an expert on tv , music and movie trivia. We had a ball and won something almost every time we played. We loved the reversable bags and won enough to give them as gifts when we got home.

I am a true spermologist ( for non trivia people that is a person full of useless knowlege and trivia ).

Thank's for clearing that up!!!

On another subjet, I moved to Scottsdale in 1959 and lived there until I graduated from ASU in 1968. We lived in Phoenix from 1945-59.

I don't know if the old tag of "The West's Most Western Town" is still used for around for Scottsdale, but I remember the signs which said "horses have the right of way". Back in the early days, horses were tied up off Scottsdale Road on the side streets where they had hitching posts. This was downtown before all the build up between Indian School Rd. and Camelback Rd and north.

Is Lutes Pharmacy, Sugar Bowl, Porters Western Wear and Lulu Belle still around? I saw they closed Mag's Ham Bun a few years ago.

Happy Cruising,

Ken

Yep. Still the most western town. Still have the Sugar Bowl, Lute's and Porters. LuLu Belle I don't think is there anymore. They are in the process of putting in a "riverwalk". A dumb idea if I ever heard one.

Also we've noted that they don't always make up new questions and we've had questions from previous cruises repeated verbatim.
That was the downfall of our experience last month on the Westerdam. They apparently were so lazy as to use the same questions from the cruise the week before. Kerry, the CD, said that he got the trivia sheets from HAL's home office. He had an annoying habit of making some questions worth bonus points. It would have been OK if a question was worth two points. But some of them he'd make worth four or five points. Miss one of them and you're out of luck at placing.

But still it was a fun for us to meet people. There were 32 teams the final day. We teamed up with a couple of ladies and became the Cougars and Boy Toys.

There were also trivia contests in the Culinary Arts Center. We attended two of them: a tea trivia and a general food trivia. We missed the chocolate trivia. Competition was less fierce there, and we managed to win both of them.

We've played most of our trivia on Royal Caribbean and they do the same thing of using the standard questions over and over. During one music trivia they played a snippet of a song and DH said it was "whatever" (can't remember what it was) and I disagreed with him, reminding him that this was one we missed last time, not because we didn't know it but because their answer sheet was wrong. I told him to just put down what they considered the answer. We went back and forth and I finally let him put his answer (technically the right one), so of course we missed that one.....again. We have tried telling the person running the game (after the game is over of course) that they have the wrong answer and they all say they have to use what the corporate office sends them.

It will be fun to experience something new!

Yep. Still the most western town. Still have the Sugar Bowl, Lute's and Porters. LuLu Belle I don't think is there anymore. They are in the process of putting in a "riverwalk". A dumb idea if I ever heard one.

I hope you don't mean the canal that crosses Scottsdale Road just south of Camelback Rd. Thank you for the info!

will be on the westerdam 25/10/09 in the caribbean

as we are not north americans will we find that most of the questions will be beyond us.

Very possibly. But! you will also find that you are sought after as a team member, as you are likely to know the things the others don't. A well-balanced team has people from all over.

Just one or two obscure answers make all the difference---and those are the ones you have.

Just one or two obscure answers make all the difference---and those are the ones you have.

Right you are ... my husband was the only in the room who knew who the first act/performer was at Woodstock. He was there ... but, what's that about if you remember it, you weren't really there?

as we are not north americans will we find that most of the questions will be beyond us.

A couple of questions from a recent cruise:

1. The River Tay is the longest river in which country?

2. Where will you find the headquarters for the International Curling

League?

See how much help you could be?

Valerie (formerly an Edinburgh girl):)

Definitely NOT. While there will be a few questions which only a North American sports or culture buff will know, there are far more where (sorry, fellow North Americans) superior U.K. education will shine. For example, most North Americans are simply appalling at geography. :eek:

Oh so true fann1sh! I know I am! I was fine when I was in grade school and possibly even high school, but the world keeps changing and I just can't keep up with all these new little countries! DH is a little better at it than me.

But if you need obscure sports data, DH is the one to ask!

Definitely NOT. While there will be a few questions which only a North American sports or culture buff will know, there are far more where (sorry, fellow North Americans) superior U.K. education will shine. For example, most North Americans are simply appalling at geography. :eek:

Fann1sh, I think you should have said most Americans are simply appalling at geography. Canadians are far better at world geography IMHO (and yes, I am including myself here). ;)

I hope you don't mean the canal that crosses Scottsdale Road just south of Camelback Rd. Thank you for the info!

That's exactly where it is/will be. They are building "riverfront" condos on Camelback starting at a cool half mil. They did the same thing when they installed Tempe Town Lake.

Definitely NOT. While there will be a few questions which only a North American sports or culture buff will know, there are far more where (sorry, fellow North Americans) superior U.K. education will shine. For example, most North Americans are simply appalling at geography.

Last year on the Amsterdam's Grand Asia/Australia cruise our team won the "Super Brain" trivia competition due largely to our "Brain", Bob Manning. However, we did manage to win quite a few of the daily Trivias (and they were really challenging:eek:, just ask anyone who was on that cruise.) Our team was comprised of 6 Americans (3 native born and 3 naturalised citizens - 1 from Germany; 1 from Croatia, and 1 from Scotland (that would be moi, although I went to High School in England:D). There is no doubt that our different backgrounds and educations helped tremendously.

Really though the best part of the Trivia competitions are the friendships one makes. Some people, although they tend to be in the minority I think, take the whole thing very seriously but most play just to have fun - after all how many HAL luggage tags or keychains does anyone really need?

Valerie:)

Right you are ... my husband was the only in the room who knew who the first act/performer was at Woodstock. He was there ... but, what's that about if you remember it, you weren't really there?

"If you remember it, you weren't really there?" Well, as the mists of "Mary Jane" surrounded you if you didn't inhale I guess you would remember it;). For the record, I wasn't there, and as far as "inhaling" goes I always preferred to get my kicks from a Margarita or two.

Valerie:D

Last October on the Westerdam there was a second trivia each night in the Northern Lights Lounge. Each night consisted of playing a short snip from a song that the teams (also 6 or less) had to identify. Each night was themed

1 - Name That TV Tune

2 - Name That Motown Tune

3 - Name That 50's & 60's Tune

4 - Name That 80's Pop Artist

5 - Name That Classic TV Tune

6 - Name That Disco Hit

7 - Name That TV Tune II

Rich

They also had name that tune nights in the Piano Bar a couple of times on our Eurodam cruise last year as well as some in the Northern Lights. Those were very poorly attended though and they were really hard :P.

On the Westerdam last October, the Northern Lights was full for each of the music trivia nights listed. They had folding chairs filling the dance floor, and most nights the booths in the adjoining bar were also nearly full.

Rich

:eek:The canal at Scottsdale and Camelback is now considered a river???

We used to "surf the flumes" there in 67. Then "they" (SRP?) put up a huge chain link fence around the area. We found other canals for our boogie boarding adventures, but they weren't as much fun as Scottsdale::(

I love trivia and have been told I should go on Jeopardy. I also have been told I am a vessel for useless knowledge. When Ken Jennings was on Jeopardy I answered almost all of the questions. Is anyone going to be on the Westerdam

on the June 21, 2009 cruise out of Seattle that would need two people, myself and my fiance who will be my wife by then? It will be our first and honeymoon cruise.

Thank you. I work for Disney and could have gone on a Disney Cruise for about the same price, but we figured this would be a cruise that we would never forget. I can always go on a Disney Cruise.

How do they conduct the trivia games? Do you holler out the answer or is it structured?

Thank you. I work for Disney and could have gone on a Disney Cruise for about the same price, but we figured this would be a cruise that we would never forget. I can always go on a Disney Cruise.

How do they conduct the trivia games? Do you holler out the answer or is it structured?

Your team is given paper and pencil. You write down your answers, and exchange with another team for marking.

Many teams bring extra scratch paper to silently consult, and write down answers being considered.

Loud, and ridiculous suggested answers can keep everyone giggling.

Archived