Trivia Games

kitty'sAuntie

What kind of questions do they ask in the trivia games? Are the games all about the ship and the places that cruise is going to, or about a variety of subjects? Are there teams or do you play as individuals? I heard there can be prizes! What have you won? Anything else we should know about the trivia games?

Thanks!

What kind of questions do they ask in the trivia games? Are the games all about the ship and the places that cruise is going to' date=' or about a variety of subjects? Are there teams or do you play as individuals? I heard there can be prizes! What have you won? Anything else we should know about the trivia games?

Thanks![/quote']

The trivia questions are general questions as can be found in the Trivial Pursuit game. They may add some ship specific which were covered in the daily paper (ie Captains Name). Play is generally as a team of up to 6 players. Prizes can vary as to the cruise staff. Sometimes the prizes are given on a per game basis and include coffee mugs, luggage tags, t-shirts and the like. Other times the prizes are "Dam Dollars" which can be combined with other activities for larger prizes (I got a rolling Duffel Bag). Still other Cruise Directors give points toward a winner for the week, which then gives a bigger prize.

The games can be a lot of fun and a great way to meet people.

Rich

We have found that questions run all over the map. Some are pretty hard (if you don't know the answer!) ;) But they're always enjoyable.

Prizes run the gamut, too. We've won stuff from luggage tags to chrome key chains to umbrellas.

Thanks Rich!

I'd love to win those prizes - congratulations on the rolling Duffel Bag!

Are the teams extremely competitive? I'm not great at trivia, and I 'd hate to wreck it for the team. :(

How often do they have the games, and how long do they last?

Thanks Rich!

I'd love to win those prizes - congratulations on the rolling Duffel Bag!

Are the teams extremely competitive? I'm not great at trivia' date=' and I 'd hate to wreck it for the team. :([/quote']

Don't worry for a single second about your own Trivia ability. Although we normally manage a few wins (DH is a storehouse of useless facts) the fun comes from laughing together as a group. I'd much rather laugh than win. :)

I'm a HAL team trivia addict, and encourage you to show up, and not worry about how "good" you are.

It's my experience that in a team of 6 (max. number) the participants usually break down into: 2 trivia addicts, aka "know it alls", who are always sure they have the right answer, and always disagree with each other what it is :rolleyes:; 1 "moderator", who may not know trivia, but is good with people, and keeps the know it alls from killing each other :eek:; 2 people who modestly claim they know nothing about trivia, but out of a game of 20 questions, each pull out a couple right answers no one else knows :); and finally, one comedian who keeps everyone roaring with laughter and makes sure everyone has a rollicking good time :D.

And, yes....I'm one of those abrasive know it alls :o...but I really do know a lot of otherwise worthless information ;).

Maybe I need to "get a life", but often team trivia is the highlight of my day at sea.

BTW - don't miss the "daily quiz"....pick it up in the library after breakfast, answer the 20 questions (reference books allowed) on a daily "theme", and first timed entry with the most correct answers wins a prize.

How often do they have the games' date=' and how long do they last?[/quote']

Trivia is played daily (there would be an uprising if it weren't on the schedule), and lasts a little over 30 minutes.

You do need to arrive early, though, both to claim a table/chairs, and because your team may get nervous and replace you if they don't see you (or know for certain that you're on your way).

Trivia is fun and it is a great way to meet people. But, it can be highly competitive, (read: cutthroat) particularly on long cruises. The cruise staff member that runs the game has alot to do with how much I enjoy it. On the 2008 world cruise, the man who ran it was just plain bad and unpleasant at times. His "correct" answers were often wrong with some of the questions just plain dumb. (For example: what important event happens on April 3rd? Answer: It's my (the cruise staff member) birthday!) The Cruise Director made matters worse by ignoring complaints about the situation.

On the other hand, on my recent Noordam cruise, Corey, the Cruise Director, ran the game and made it fun and truly enjoyable.

I am a Trivia fanatic and am pretty good at it (she says, in all modesty;):rolleyes:) but honestly what I enjoy most about the Trivia games on HAL are the people I meet. I have always been lucky enough to find myself on a great team - not necessarily a winning team, since I am probably the least competitive person you will ever meet, but a team of people who love to get together and have fun It's a bonus if you win and come home with a lovely HAL luggage tag (again:rolleyes:) but the best part is getting together and enjoying a fun time with a few laughs thrown in for good measure.

Go find yourself a team - if you are a singleton the staff member running the game for the day will find you a team to join - and have a blast.

As has been mentioned before, the questions can run anywhere from simply "duh" to "what on earth is he/she talking about", who knows maybe you will be the one who knows what he/she is talking about.

Valerie:)

Trivia is fun and it is a great way to meet people. But, it can be highly competitive, (read: cutthroat) particularly on long cruises. The cruise staff member that runs the game has alot to do with how much I enjoy it. On the 2008 world cruise, the man who ran it was just plain bad and unpleasant at times. His "correct" answers were often wrong with some of the questions just plain dumb. (For example: what important event happens on April 3rd? Answer: It's my (the cruise staff member) birthday!) The Cruise Director made matters worse by ignoring complaints about the situation.

On the other hand, on my recent Noordam cruise, Corey, the Cruise Director, ran the game and made it fun and truly enjoyable.

Hi Bob:

I was on the 2007 GWV and the 2008 Grand Asia/Australia cruise and I know exactly whom you are talking about (Cruise Director) and have an idea of who the man running the Trivia was (actually I can think of two but am leaning more heavily towards one of them).

Anyway, I'm still a Trivia fanatic and I am signing up for this year's Grand Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific cruise - have learned to handle the "attitude";).

On the Statendam, just a couple of months ago, the Cruise Director and the young man running Trivia could not have been nicer and were well liked and respected by all the Trivia players.

I am a Trivia fanatic and am pretty good at it (she says, in all modesty;):rolleyes:) but honestly what I enjoy most about the Trivia games on HAL are the people I meet. I have always been lucky enough to find myself on a great team - not necessarily a winning team, since I am probably the least competitive person you will ever meet, but a team of people who love to get together and have fun It's a bonus if you win and come home with a lovely HAL luggage tag (again:rolleyes:) but the best part is getting together and enjoying a fun time with a few laughs thrown in for good measure.

Go find yourself a team - if you are a singleton the staff member running the game for the day will find you a team to join - and have a blast.

As has been mentioned before, the questions can run anywhere from simply "duh" to "what on earth is he/she talking about", who knows maybe you will be the one who knows what he/she is talking about.

Hi Valerie (our STATENDAM triva teammate)!

Dan and I echo everything you said about playing trivia. Can I say again how much fun it was playing trivia with you (and Frank, Linda, Cheryl, Judy and good old Al (Larry) on the msSTATENDAM trip in Feb/March of this year!!!

Trivia is truly a great way of meeting your fellow passengers on a cruise and we are both grateful for all the cruise friends we have made over the years. It is the only time Dan and I play trivia and we always look forward to this time of day on a HAL ship.

We look forward to meeting up with you again as well as Cheryl on the 33 day Hawaii/South Pacific trip in January. We have our team of 4 already!!!!

I am a true spermologist ( for non trivia people that is a person full of useless knowlege and trivia ). I never miss a scheduled trivia game. I do try to get a team that is serious about playing in the sense they will show up for every game.

It is tons of fun and I enjoy it immensely.

On our 30 day Tahiti/Hawaii cruise they also held a smaller trivia quiz in the evenings in the card room. The prizes for that game were cocktail passes good for one cocktail of your choice. Those were seriously competed for.

I am a true spermologist ( for non trivia people that is a person full of useless knowlege and trivia ). I never miss a scheduled trivia game. I do try to get a team that is serious about playing in the sense they will show up for every game.

It is tons of fun and I enjoy it immensely.

On our 30 day Tahiti/Hawaii cruise they also held a smaller trivia quiz in the evenings in the card room. The prizes for that game were cocktail passes good for one cocktail of your choice. Those were seriously competed for.

OK. So if there was a trivia question concerning what a "spermologist" is, never in a million years would I have guessed the answer!:D:D:D

Learn something new...:)

How do you get onto a "team". It's just hubby & I , but we'd love to join others.

Get there a few minutes before the game starts, look for groups of 2 - 4 and ask if they need 2 more players. Or wait a few minutes and the person running the game will ask for you if you let them know you would like to join others. Most likely the same teams will play all week.

Rich

How do you get onto a "team". It's just hubby & I , but we'd love to join others.

Just show up....preferably the first day, and a bit early. If you see someone you think you'd like to team with, ask if they have room on their team. The staff host should help form teams for stragglers, or the shy, before the first session.

If you don't arrive until the second day, once again the host should help you find a team, or start another.

On our Prinsendam Amazon float we set up some trivia addicts on our roll call so had an idea of who wanted to play before we even boarded. We tried to mix the teams up between Canadians and Americans as that broadens the knowledge base. There are usually a few hockey questions that I can answer but then I'm useless at American political questions.

Our favourite answer on the last cruise was "Who was the last king of Albania" - answer: Zog.

Sometimes the questions and answers are ambiguous or just plain wrong but you learn to roll with it. Although it's great to win mostly we came in second or third.

Do they ever have music themed trivia, like movie theme songs and such? That is where we really excel. DH is definitely a spermologist and I am the "official writer down of the answers". We have won trivia quite a few times on previous cruises, but it has always been music oriented themes.

Now if you had one about old TV shows, stick with us!

How sad are we? But it's always SO much fun!

We never miss trivia and have met some great people there. That's the same crowd that also used to show up at Pictionary, Catch Phrase, Scattergories, etc before those things were (sadly) discontinued due to staffing cuts.

Our favorite competition at Trivia was a group of guys from Ohio who called their team the "nads" and their wives formed a cheering section that would urge them on to the strains of "go nads! go nads!" We knew right away that we'd found our kind of people. *L*

Between the four of us we have almost 240 years of useless knowledge and as others have said , we typically recruit a couple of other funlovers onboard (and hopefully experts in some esoteric field) to join us. We've been pretty successful and must admit to being just a tad competitive. But there's the fun in it, no?

Last cruise in Feb they were no longer giving out prizes, but rather those damn "dam dollars. A step backward in our view.

Also we've noted that they don't always make up new questions and we've had questions from previous cruises repeated verbatim. How hard is it, if you are well read, to come up with new questions? Or solicit past guests to submit quizzes and mail them a couple free drink coupons for their efforts.

See you at trivia!

Do they ever have music themed trivia, like movie theme songs and such?

Yes! We just got off the Westerdam and they did a TV theme song trivia contest at the aft pool during one of the sea days. It seemed like some of the trivia "teams" were participating.

I was just playing along from the comfort of my deck chair:D!

Terri

Do they ever have music themed trivia, like movie theme songs and such? That is where we really excel. DH is definitely a spermologist and I am the "official writer down of the answers". We have won trivia quite a few times on previous cruises, but it has always been music oriented themes.

Last October on the Westerdam there was a second trivia each night in the Northern Lights Lounge. Each night consisted of playing a short snip from a song that the teams (also 6 or less) had to identify. Each night was themed

1 - Name That TV Tune

2 - Name That Motown Tune

3 - Name That 50's & 60's Tune

4 - Name That 80's Pop Artist

5 - Name That Classic TV Tune

6 - Name That Disco Hit

7 - Name That TV Tune II

Rich

The last 2 years,, on HAL and Azamara, Trivia was almost nonexistant.

The year before that, we were on a Celebrity TA. They had other trivia games, but every day they had "Battle of the sexes", with no limit on the size of the two teams. The game ran with points adding to the previous days, for 7 sea days.:)

The men got questions that most of the women knew but most of the men did not, such as 'who's so&so' and most women knew he designed shoes for a certain company.The women got questions most men would know, but women would not.:D

It was held in the obsevation lounge/bar/dancehall,BIG room. Rules were simple, kiss your spouse goodbye for awhile (trying to put a gag on in case he/she knew an answer) and each to his/her side of the ship...including onlookers, all of whom were invited to speak up if they knew the answer.:cool:

The last sea day, with the teams almost tied, was SRO!:p I never saw so great a % of passengers laughing at a comedian in the shows as were having a super great time there.:D:D

Talk about your old TV shows. We won the last trivia game because I knew the answer to that obscure question " What was the name of the fireman on Leave It To Beaver". Embarrassing for me :eek::D

Oh; the answer was "Gus".

I am a true spermologist ( for non trivia people that is a person full of useless knowlege and trivia ).

Thank's for clearing that up!!!

On another subjet, I moved to Scottsdale in 1959 and lived there until I graduated from ASU in 1968. We lived in Phoenix from 1945-59.

I don't know if the old tag of "The West's Most Western Town" is still used for around for Scottsdale, but I remember the signs which said "horses have the right of way". Back in the early days, horses were tied up off Scottsdale Road on the side streets where they had hitching posts. This was downtown before all the build up between Indian School Rd. and Camelback Rd and north.

Is Lutes Pharmacy, Sugar Bowl, Porters Western Wear and Lulu Belle still around? I saw they closed Mag's Ham Bun a few years ago.

Happy Cruising,

Ken

Archived