How much to pack for world cruise?

We are booked on Jan 13, 2010, world cruise on Voyager. Any hints on how much "stuff" to take for a 119 day cruise? Will be flying to San Diego first class so will have 4- 50lb bags free to check. Also, if there are previous world cruisers out there, I would appreciate any helpful hints. Anyone else booked on it??

I've never been on a world cruise but my impression, from reading this board and others, is that world cruisers tend to take a lot of stuff because the cruise is so long. According to the brochure I just received from Regent, one of the perks of a world cruise is free luggage delivery between your home and the ship. So you should be able to bring lots of stuff without worrying about lugging it along on your airline flights. :D

Dave

I've never been on a world cruise but my impression, from reading this board and others, is that world cruisers tend to take a lot of stuff because the cruise is so long. According to the brochure I just received from Regent, one of the perks of a world cruise is free luggage delivery between your home and the ship. So you should be able to bring lots of stuff without worrying about lugging it along on your airline flights. :D

Dave

Hi Dave,

Brocheur is misleading. Regent refers you to freeluggage.com and they charge you by pound to ship your luggage to and from port. Regent will not pay for it.

Sevenseassailor,

You're in for a real treat !! We've been on 2 full WC's on the Voyager. Yes, Regent will come to your home about a week or so before your cruise and pick up your luggage. The next time you see this luggage will be on board in your suite. Remember, you will have quite varied climates to will need to take clothing for various temperatures. When we pack we have tried to pack as if we're going on about a 3-4 week cruise. The biggest mistake most people make is to NOT bring an empty suitcase for all the things you're going to buy a long the way....even if you're not a shopper or into souveniers, you will buy lots of things especially since this is your 1st WC. Trust me on this one!

I don't know what tier level you are but if you're Platinum or Titanium, you'll have free laundry which is a HUGE perk. We put laundry out most every day and have it back the next day. You can go on a WC and never see the inside of a laundry room (works for me :D )

I believe we had about 14 formal nights (kind of guessing) and I bring formal clothes for 5 and just recycle/mix 'n match. I believe we had about 9 suitcases going and returned with about 12 (going by memory again). Regent did pay for 270 lbs (140 per person) and they don't care how many suitcases you had, they go by total weight. This may change but they will let you know.

You really will have a marvelous time! Don't forget to file an extension with IRS/State for your income taxes. Any credit card bills can be paid on line so we never had any problem. You'll have internet and phone time so you can stay in touch with your loved ones.

sevenseassailor, I might be wrong but I think you were given the wrong info from Luggage free. Previously, full world cruisers were allowed 135 lbs pp free to be shipped from your home to the ship. Now full cruisers have unlimited luggage sent to the ship free of charge. If in doubt, check with you TA or Regent. It's a great WC and I know you will love it.

While I have not taken a Regent World Cruise I have taken two full World Cruises with Crystal so I can share some thoughts with you.

Most people who take a full World Cruise will take more luggage than they would for a two week or even a 30 day cruise.

There are two major reasons for this:

First, is the itinerary. Look very carefully at your itinerary and do the research to determine what the weather will be like for each of the ports of call that you are visiting to determine whether a combination of clothing may be required for both warm weather and cooler weather. And even warm weather might require clothing for moderate temperatures and clothing for very hot temperatures. We have found that we have needed varous types of clothing given the difference in weather. Remember you are sailing over a several month period.

We use one of the weather web sites that provide historical weather temperatures for the places we are visiting.

Second is the Length of the Voyage. While on a two week cruise or even a thirty day cruise you will iikely not get bored with your clothing if you wear the same items for close to 100 days that might not be the case. As such my wife and I take more outfits. I take more sports jackets and more dress slacks and dress shirts than I would on a much shorter cruise just to change things up a bit. Same goes for other items. Likewise, my wife takes more formal outfits, dresses, etc. than she would for a much shorter cruise.

We also might take more of other items given the length of the cruise. For example, on a short cruise I take one pair of Athletic Shoes but on a cruise of this length I take two.

In addition, as you can imagine we take significantly more toiletries on a world cruise given the length of the cruise and the fact that we don't want to have to waste time shopping for these items in varous ports of call. The same goes for medicine, etc. We have found that we dedicate one piece of luggage to these items and then we can use this piece for gifts and other items when we return from the cruise.

I would say that the average couple takes about five or six pieces with them plus carryon. Some will take less and others will take more.

Verify with Regent what they cover in terms of your luggage allowance for the full world cruise.

It's never too early to start planning what you will take.

Keith

Sevenseassailor,

You're in for a real treat !! We've been on 2 full WC's on the Voyager. Yes, Regent will come to your home about a week or so before your cruise and pick up your luggage. The next time you see this luggage will be on board in your suite. Remember, you will have quite varied climates to will need to take clothing for various temperatures. When we pack we have tried to pack as if we're going on about a 3-4 week cruise. The biggest mistake most people make is to NOT bring an empty suitcase for all the things you're going to buy a long the way....even if you're not a shopper or into souveniers, you will buy lots of things especially since this is your 1st WC. Trust me on this one!

I don't know what tier level you are but if you're Platinum or Titanium, you'll have free laundry which is a HUGE perk. We put laundry out most every day and have it back the next day. You can go on a WC and never see the inside of a laundry room (works for me :D )

I believe we had about 14 formal nights (kind of guessing) and I bring formal clothes for 5 and just recycle/mix 'n match. I believe we had about 9 suitcases going and returned with about 12 (going by memory again). Regent did pay for 270 lbs (140 per person) and they don't care how many suitcases you had, they go by total weight. This may change but they will let you know.

You really will have a marvelous time! Don't forget to file an extension with IRS/State for your income taxes. Any credit card bills can be paid on line so we never had any problem. You'll have internet and phone time so you can stay in touch with your loved ones.

Thanks Marcie, you have been VERY helpful. Our travel agent is insisting that Regent does not pay to ship our bags. I will ask again and tell her your experience. Certainly be nice if they did. We will be only be silver level but I don't mind doing my laundry. Doing Alaska July 1st to make silver so I can have the free internet. Was wondering about number of formal nights. I usually wear mock turtle necks with sports jacket. Is this allowed? With exception of China ports, rest should be warm weather ones as this WC stays pretty much south. Thanks again and would like to talk to you more about your experience with WC's.

Rick

You all are right. My travel agent finally confirmed that Regent will ship 135 pounds per person at their expense to and from ship. $2 per pound for any overage. It is insured for $1000 but additional insurance is $19.95 per $1000. This is for full world cruise pax only.:)

Rick

Rick,

The mock turtle neck and sports coat is fine for informal nights (and nights you eat in Signatures or Prime 7) but too casual for formal nights. You will want a dark suit or tux for those nights.

I can't believe your TA didn't know that Regent ships your luggage. Is this the first time they've booked a Regent WC? I hope not. You need someone who specializes in luxury cruises (particularly Regent) not just a TA who does mostly mass marketed cruises like Princess, HAL, etc.

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like. There are quite a few of us on cc who have done WC's and we're happy to help.

Marcie,

I really appreciate your counsel. The main reason we cruise is so we can dress up for dinner. I love to wear my tux and my wife has lots of St John's outfits to wear. Cruising is about only place I can wear tux without being mistaken for a maitre'd!! Our TA is great and has sold many segments to WC but we are first full WC pax. As I said we are doing Alaska on Marnier on July 1 so can answer many of our questions then.

Rick

Marcie,

I really appreciate your counsel. The main reason we cruise is so we can dress up for dinner. I love to wear my tux and my wife has lots of St John's outfits to wear. Cruising is about only place I can wear tux without being mistaken for a maitre'd!! Our TA is great and has sold many segments to WC but we are first full WC pax. As I said we are doing Alaska on Marnier on July 1 so can answer many of our questions then.

Rick

SevenSeasSailor --

Ask your TA for a 2010 World Cruise brochure or check out details on the RSSC website. It has a laundry list of inclusions for full WC guests, including free luggage shipment (this year it was 135 lbs. per person if from US).

If your June Mariner cruise is your first on Regent, you should be able to get a Seven Sea Society member discount on your full WC price since your Alsakan cruise occurs before the WC final payment is due (which should be sometime in the fall). This is what we did in 2007 and the WC discount basically paid for our Alaskan cruise.

Larry

SEVENSEASSAILOR

If I am not mistaken, for the 2010 full world cruisers, you are entitled to UNLIMITED luggage delivery service between home and ship. You are not limited to the 135 lb pp. When we went on the WC, we did not take out extra insurance for our luggage that was being sent as we were covered with our home owners insurance. I would check with them. As petlover mentioned, turtleneck with a sport jacket is fine for an informal night but some men do elect to wear a shirt and tie on those nights. That is up to you. For women, mix and match is a great way to go. Black silk pants, black silk skirts (long & short) with different tops will go a long way. St. John is great but you will see everything. The main thing is enjoy and to be grateful that you are able to do a WC on such a special ship with such a wonderful staff and crew.

Why not investigate the Kindle and bring lots of books?

Hmmm. If airlines charge $50 per flight to check an extra bag full of nothing but books, it would take flights to and from 7 cruises to pay off two $350 Kindles for me and my wife! By the time we take 7 cruises, Kindle will be on the 9th generation hardware and today's Kindle 2 won't work anymore! :D

-- Eric

SevenSeasSailor --

Ask your TA for a 2010 World Cruise brochure or check out details on the RSSC website. It has a laundry list of inclusions for full WC guests, including free luggage shipment (this year it was 135 lbs. per person if from US).

If your June Mariner cruise is your first on Regent, you should be able to get a Seven Sea Society member discount on your full WC price since your Alsakan cruise occurs before the WC final payment is due (which should be sometime in the fall). This is what we did in 2007 and the WC discount basically paid for our Alaskan cruise.

Larry

The July Alaska cruise will make us Silver with Regent. Our TA has not mentioned any Seven Seas Society member discount for either Alaska or World Cruise. Anybody know what it is. TA has day off but will have her check it out. This is her first Regent WC booking.

Rick

The July Alaska cruise will make us Silver with Regent. Our TA has not mentioned any Seven Seas Society member discount for either Alaska or World Cruise. Anybody know what it is. TA has day off but will have her check it out. This is her first Regent WC booking.

Rick

Rick,

There are no Seven Seas Society (SSS) discounts for your Alaska cruise. The SSS discounts for your world cruise are $2500 to $8000 dependant upon the category of cabin you've booked. Once you've sailed in July, your TA can contact Regent and possibly get you a retroactive on board booking discount for your world cruise. This discount is also $2500 to $8000. Hope this helps.

Dave

I don't bother with the Kindle. I've been using my Palm for ebook reading for years, and have read hundreds of books. Smaller form factor, and a little less like reading a real book, but if you're a Palm person, this is another way to go.

Or try audio books...load them up from library discs through iTuners on an iPod...great for exercising on deck walks, in the gym, on long bus rides, etc.

Larry

Archived