Pickpockets...is it really that bad?

We read all about pickpockets before we left for our Med cruise, watched the youtube videos, etc, etc, and we were still pickpocketed. They are fast, and they are good. They know how to wait for an opportune moment, or how to create one.

Since you cannot completely avoid the possibility, you have to minimize potential damages. Only bring necessary items, and keep your money/ID in a money belt, worn under your clothes.

The worst places are crowded areas and local buses/trains. Our backpack was slashed in several places on a crowded Naples bus (#1) and my husband didn't realize it til we got back to the ship.

Marci, you are one of several (including myself) who realize that simply being careful is not enough. And that is a shame for those countries where this activity is 'normal'. This kind of message would not be posted in the sections dealing with Northern Europe and the British Isles. I still maintain that the person who lives in Spain and claims that crime is not bad in his country, is not really with it.

Until it happened to me, I thought I was careful. But that is not enough to deter the crime. Why did I not report the theft of my camera? Simply because there was no one who could direct me to a police station on Sunday, there were absolutely no policemen in sight the whole time we were there (Barcelona), and I wondered what good it would do with all the pessimistic attitudes I had heard about. Are they all undercover????

This forum and this particular thread is very useful and interesting. There are lots of good ideas being presented. Keep it up, you all and thanks.

A very inexpensive way to keep your backpack zipper from being opened in a crowded area is to use a wire twisty tie like you find for some garbage bags. Run the tie between the eyelets at the end of each zipper tab and twist several times to bind the zipper tabs together.

It's a pain when you need to get into your bag to have to undo the tie, but it prevents anyone from easily unzipping your bag.

Joe

A very inexpensive way to keep your backpack zipper from being opened in a crowded area is to use a wire twisty tie like you find for some garbage bags. Run the tie between the eyelets at the end of each zipper tab and twist several times to bind the zipper tabs together.

It's a pain when you need to get into your bag to have to undo the tie, but it prevents anyone from easily unzipping your bag.

Joe

Don't laugh...I use a baby diaper pin for this. I saved them and years later I found a new use for them. :)

Marci, you are one of several (including myself) who realize that simply being careful is not enough. And that is a shame for those countries where this activity is 'normal'. This kind of message would not be posted in the sections dealing with Northern Europe and the British Isles. I still maintain that the person who lives in Spain and claims that crime is not bad in his country, is not really with it.

Until it happened to me, I thought I was careful. But that is not enough to deter the crime. Why did I not report the theft of my camera? Simply because there was no one who could direct me to a police station on Sunday, there were absolutely no policemen in sight the whole time we were there (Barcelona), and I wondered what good it would do with all the pessimistic attitudes I had heard about. Are they all undercover????

This forum and this particular thread is very useful and interesting. There are lots of good ideas being presented. Keep it up, you all and thanks.

I agree i went into a enclosed atm in Barcelona two guys asleep inside on the floor i left very quick with out using the atm. there where two police outside in a car when i reported to them that i could not use the atm they said it was not there area and directed me to another atm.then drove off

grumphy

Don't laugh...I use a baby diaper pin for this. I saved them and years later I found a new use for them. :)

We just bought a little lock that we use if we have anything valuable inside--and we run the zipper all the way to one side, and put a bottle of water in the exterior pocket, which hides the lock, so people won't automatically assume there is something valuable inside!

Cathy

When I started this thread I was hoping that my concerns and fears would be somewhat quashed or relieved. Unfortunately most of the posts are doing just the opposite. There are a lot of pessimists out there:eek:. But seriously folks...I would tend to be take a Spaniard's opinion over even a victim's as their bias would be ovbvious.

Just arrived home from trip with several days in Rome. We are very cautious people and my husband even borders on being somewhat paranoid. That being said, we were still targeted! Watch out for well dressed, tourist looking types at St. Peters! While climbing the dome steps it was extremely crowded, bumper to bumper people. On the way down, my husband felt someones hand in his back pocket for sure. Luckily, it was an empty pocket! It was only after thinking back on the situation that we were able to link this incident to two well dressed women who actually spoke to us when we got down to the balcony level. They said they were from London but my guess is they were not tourists at all. This same thing happened the next day on the crowded subway-again, no success for the culprits. So, beware!

When I started this thread I was hoping that my concerns and fears would be somewhat quashed or relieved. Unfortunately most of the posts are doing just the opposite. There are a lot of pessimists out there:eek:. But seriously folks...I would tend to be take a Spaniard's opinion over even a victim's as their bias would be ovbvious.

Sounds good to me. Go ahead and keep your wallet in your back pocket and have your wife carry her purse over her shoulder like at home. Don't use money belts and make sure you interact with all the locals that approach you so that you get a true local experience.

Stroll through Barcelona and Rome without a care as though you have an cone of protection over you while you ignore the fact that many well traveled individuals have been pickpocketed. It must be all in their imagination? ;)

We have traveled in Europe many times without a problem....both together and my husband alone on business. However, we are always careful to keep our passports, money, travelers checks, etc in a money belt or a neck pouch under our clothes. I wear my handbag across my body and usually keep one hand on it whenever I can. I love London's way of dealing with it....the announcement placards at intersections that have had pickpocket problems in recent hours/days, just keeps us more aware. I think one of our pluses is that we are street-wise and confident when out in public, don't look hesitant, paranoid, fearful, and always duck into a shop or cafe when we want to take a good look at a map, rather than advertise by doing that in public.

After returning from my cruise which included stops in Barcelona and Rome, I would say you just need to be cautious of your surrounding. Las Ramblas is loaded with pickpockets and if you really pay attention, you can easily spot them. We were people watching that whole time and could easily spot them, and trust me they were out there during the day and many at night (where there are practically zero cops around). Wearing money belts, purses with the straps over your shoulders, etc and not placing anything in your pockets is always helpful. We saw a man get pickpocketed on the Metro station and they work in groups (pretended they were tugging each other when the other one had already stolen the guys wallet). If you make eye contact and let them know, hey I'm watching you, trust me they won't bother you they are looking for the easily distracted targets.

Just came back from Italy. No pickpockets whatsoever. Anywhere. Roma Termini used to be their favorite space, as well as Via Del Corso. No sight of them - anywhere, subway, buses etc included. I have a feeling Italian people and police got tired of those and kicked out as many of them as possible.

Just came back from Italy. No pickpockets whatsoever. Anywhere. Roma Termini used to be their favorite space, as well as Via Del Corso. No sight of them - anywhere, subway, buses etc included. I have a feeling Italian people and police got tired of those and kicked out as many of them as possible.

Did you go everywhere in Italy, or just Rome? ;)

Perhaps they have all moved on to Naples, where they still seem to be prevalent.

Did you go everywhere in Italy, or just Rome? ;)

Perhaps they have all moved on to Naples, where they still seem to be prevalent.

Rome, Sorrento, Capri, Ravenna, Venice.

Like I said, no pickpockets in sight. This time we were taking public transportation a lot ( subways, buses, trains, vaporettos). Maybe because it was not yet high season. Or maybe they all had moved to Naples :D (well, I never liked Naples anyway).

Originally Posted by Ethel5 viewpost.gif

Where do you buy the little satin pouches for $6.95???

I like the idea of this pouch but would like some input from women who have used them. The website photo and description do not answer my questions. Does the pouch attach to the bottom part of the bra? Being someone who unfortunately does not have cleavage :mad: where does this pouch go? I guess I could attach it to a sports bra/bralet instead of a regular bra? Going on a land-based Europe trip....I have never had a problem before with theft in Europe with just a purse worn over my body, but I like the pouch idea for extra security. The money belt is uncomfortable and too bulky for me,

I have an encouraging story for you...in Venice 5 yrs ago my friend and I were taking the water bus to the ship port and and she had left her carry-on bag at the water bus stop and realized it 5 min after our bus pulled away. It had all her $, credit cards, passport, cruise tickets and we thought it was a goner:eek:. I waited at the next stop (praying in my heart like mad) while she went back for it and lo and behold it was still sitting there under the bench next to 2 little old ladies chatting and nothing was taken from it.

Thanks to torrential rainfall and flooding, the pick-pockets must have stayed in that day.

While walking in a tour group through the gothic quarter in Barcelona last year, one lady suddenly announced that someone had nearly stolen her purse out of her open handbag. She had felt it and turned quickly, causing the would-be thief to beat a hasty retreat.

Imagine our absolute amazement 5 minutes later to see her once again with her handbag unzipped. When asked why, she replied that it was easier that way to get to her tissues and sunglasses.

Guess there is no cure for stupidity!!!

Roy

I like the idea of this pouch but would like some input from women who have used them. The website photo and description do not answer my questions. Does the pouch attach to the bottom part of the bra? Being someone who unfortunately does not have cleavage :mad: where does this pouch go? I guess I could attach it to a sports bra/bralet instead of a regular bra? Going on a land-based Europe trip....I have never had a problem before with theft in Europe with just a purse worn over my body, but I like the pouch idea for extra security. The money belt is uncomfortable and too bulky for me,

I was the OP on that topic. The pouch attaches to the bottom of the bra straps, and then just hangs down right below. You really have no idea it's even there--I just loved it. You could attach it to anything that has a strap--there is just a loop and a snap. I kept my debit card, room key, and extra euros in there--just kept a few handy in a pocket for a gelato!

Does this help?

Cathy

First, for those who say they did not see any pickpockets...that is a big part of why many are efficient and successful at pickpocketing. While you may see some who are clearly trying to get money, etc. (the throwing babies stories, etc.), many make a big effort to blend in like the well dressed tourists an earlier poster mentioned. If they blend in well, you don't even know they are there.

We were recently in Rome, Florence and Barcelona (among other cities) and did not have a problem. We were both very aware of our surroundings and I did wear the "dreaded" neck safe (although I can't understand why they are referred to as dreaded). While on the cruise, we left nearly all valuables in the safe in our cabin (took 1 credit card, cash, photo id). I carried a lightweight tote bag (baggelini with 10 zippered compartments) where we carried umbrellas and water. We also put the bags with the souvenirs we purchased (nothing of value) in the bag to keep our hands free. My husband did keep a small id case in his front pocket with his driver's license and a small amount of cash (neither one being a huge deal if he was pickpocketed). He seemed to keep his hand either in his pocket or near it and he never had a problem.

On the other hand...for men who say they put their wallet in their front pocket so it's safe...a few years ago my dad thought my mom was paranoid because she was alert for pickpockets (used a necksafe) so he put a "dummy wallet" in his front pocket with $20 in it to prove to her that she was paranoid. Well, one bus ride later the wallet was gone and he never felt a thing. He changed his outlook pretty quickly.

The biggest thing is to be cautious of how you carry valuable and be alert to your surroundings.

I will say that while we were alert and on guard for pickpocketing, we did not have any fears for our safety.

To all those who feel so sure of themselves - if you happen to lose your wallet in your home town, it's no big deal. However, if it happens while you're on vacation in a foreign country it's a big problem and can sour a good part of the holiday.

I always maintain - use some form of money belt/pouch

To all those who feel so sure of themselves - if you happen to lose your wallet in your home town, it's no big deal. However, if it happens while you're on vacation in a foreign country it's a big problem and can sour a good part of the holiday.

Exactly! It can be a pain dealing with stolen credit cards, etc. at home, but thousands of miles from home would be so much worse. Reporting the cards stolen and getting them canceled is only one step (the biggest)--remember it's collect international calls for each card, but then you are not at home to get the new card in the mail, etc.

One thing we do just in case something happens is have copies of the front and back of all of our cards (credit, atm, insurance)--remember that the back has that VIN # the cc companies are often concerned with and, most importantly, the numbers to call in case of a problem. We keep one copy in the safe and leave a copy at home with a trusted family member. This way if something does happen, we have a starting point for dealing with it.

Agreed. Never say Never its Better to be safe than Sorry:(

Archived