Pickpockets...is it really that bad?

This is one of those annual threads that starts-up every spring as folks get ready to go to Europe. After more than 40 years of international travel, we can happily report that we (that would be myself and DW) have never lost anything to a pickpocket in Europe...although I did once have my pocket picked in Philadelphia. In the USA, somebody might shoot or stab you..and than take your valuables. In Europe, it is rare to have a violent pickpocket as the gypsies are good at their trade. A few simple precautions and some common sense will serve you well. For example, my wife always uses a large diaper pin to pin the zippers of her purse so that it would be a major effort for anyone to unzip her purse (they would first need to use two hands to unpin). As to men, we simply follow the advice of an old friend (retired Secret Service Agent) who simply puts a couple of wide rubber bands around his wallet and puts it in a front pocket. Money belts are also great. It is also smart to not carry any unnecessary valuables, never wear expensive jewelry (its like waving a flag saying "Rob Me"), and always be aware of your surroundings. We recently saw a woman have her purse snatched at an outdoor cafe in Barcelona because she put her purse on the ground next to her chair (a bystander got her purse back from the crook). Another good rule is to never leave your luggage unattended! When we are driving through Europe with luggage in our car (we are currently driving through France and Italy) one of us always stays with the car at rest stops!

Hank

This is one of those annual threads that starts-up every spring as folks get ready to go to Europe. After more than 40 years of international travel, we can happily report that we (that would be myself and DW) have never lost anything to a pickpocket in Europe...although I did once have my pocket picked in Philadelphia. In the USA, somebody might shoot or stab you..and than take your valuables. In Europe, it is rare to have a violent pickpocket as the gypsies are good at their trade. A few simple precautions and some common sense will serve you well. For example, my wife always uses a large diaper pin to pin the zippers of her purse so that it would be a major effort for anyone to unzip her purse (they would first need to use two hands to unpin). As to men, we simply follow the advice of an old friend (retired Secret Service Agent) who simply puts a couple of wide rubber bands around his wallet and puts it in a front pocket. Money belts are also great. It is also smart to not carry any unnecessary valuables, never wear expensive jewelry (its like waving a flag saying "Rob Me"), and always be aware of your surroundings. We recently saw a woman have her purse snatched at an outdoor cafe in Barcelona because she put her purse on the ground next to her chair (a bystander got her purse back from the crook). Another good rule is to never leave your luggage unattended! When we are driving through Europe with luggage in our car (we are currently driving through France and Italy) one of us always stays with the car at rest stops!

Hank

We are careful at gas stations, too--both of us at the car, one pumping gas, one just keeping an eye out. All good advice as usual.

When we were in Costa Rica, some folks at our hotel had stopped to walk out on a bridge to see the sunning alligators; parked at one end of the bridge. When they got back to their car, a window had been smashed and every single thing was gone. . .suitcases, purse, cameras, etc., so you really do need to be careful and aware. OTOH, one of the guys I work with was heading to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago for the Jazz Festival with his pregnant wife and 15 month old DD. They parked their car overnight at a hotel (Marriott) in Salt Lake City before heading to the plane in the AM. When they got up, same thing had happened--window smashed and every single thing gone--laptops (wife is an attorney), three cameras, all their clothes and baby clothes, etc. So it can happen anywhere. DH thinks I'm crazy, but I always bring all my valuables into the hotel room with me here in the States--cameras, laptops, etc. even if we're just stopping for the night. Now he knows why!

Cathy

I was the OP on that topic. The pouch attaches to the bottom of the bra straps, and then just hangs down right below. You really have no idea it's even there--I just loved it. You could attach it to anything that has a strap--there is just a loop and a snap. I kept my debit card, room key, and extra euros in there--just kept a few handy in a pocket for a gelato!

Does this help?

Cathy

Thank you Cathy, this does help. I think I will order a pouch!

Pickpocketing is one subject and theft from cars another. I mean you don't have the same people involved.

Do you mean to say that you leave things visible in the car. As far as I know, if possessions are not locked in the car boot any theft is not even covered by insurance.

I've heard of people who stop at traffic lights with the windows open. The thief puts his hand in, grabs a bag, camera etc and runs off.

Make sure you lock everything in the boot.

They can be violent. We were in Naples right across the street from the ships terminal with alot of people around. My wife was looking at purses and I walked down to the corner just 20 feet away to wait for her when I heard a big comotion. This guy was trying to rip my wifes watch right off her wrist he spun her around and threw her to the ground (cobblestone). She cut her hand and had to have 7 stiches put into her knee. I dropped everything and took off after him before realizing I left my wife and my backpack and pizza's behind. He did not get the watch, and it did not ruin our cruise. Whenever my wife tells the story people look at me and say where were you? I felt so bad but I had no time to react. It happened so fast. After that we did not even where our watches.

Just returned from a 10 night cruise, followed by 4 nights in Barcelona. Before we left I sewed long strips of velcro in one of DH's side pockets on each of 3 pairs of pants. It made it quite hard to get into that pocket, even for him, plus the noise velcro makes! He kept nothing in his back pocket.

We had no problems, always kept a vigilent eye, wore no jewelry (except on the ship - a girl has got to look nice!)

We loved Barcelona, but couldn't believe the mobs of people everywhere!!:p ;)

By the way, I should have added that being on a tour (cruise line or private) does not offer you additional protection. We have known folks who have had things stolen right out of tour buses (even after they were told everything would be safe on the bus) and a large group of tourists following a guide like sheep are seen as "sheep going to the slaughter" by gypsies. Most tour groups have a guide in the front carrying a flag or sign that really says, "here we are...naive and with money and valuables." Always use common sense and be aware of your surroundings...simple advice but it works.

Hank

I have a whole little collection of small crossbody bags that I always use whenever I am travelling away from home. I've used them in Washington DC, NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc and so far they have worked great.

I am going on a Med cruise next year and a friend also recommended a Pacsafe small crossbody purse. I ordered one online yesterday (one of the the smaller ones) and it's due to be delivered next week. For those women that specifically use a Pacsafe, are they really that much better for use in Europe? I see they have anti slashproof measures (the mesh, the steel cable in the strap, etc) and I want to use as much caution as I possibly can. I am another that leaves real valuables in the safe while off ship so I'd only be carrying little while off exploring the different ports.

I am another that leaves real valuables in the safe while off ship so I'd only be carrying little while off exploring the different ports.

It's just smart to leave most of your valuables in your cabin safe while in port. It's the pre and post days of your cruise where you have the most to lose, as you are carrying most of your valuables with you.

Plus, Barcelona and Rome, which are the beginning or ending ports for many cruises, tend to have more than a few pickpocketing and theft incidents to be dismissed as a random occurrence.

Being aware and having a plan for protecting your valuables is an absolute necessity.

Joe

Most tour groups have a guide in the front carrying a flag or sign that really says, "here we are...naive and with money and valuables." Always use common sense and be aware of your surroundings...simple advice but it works.

Hank

Excellent post, Hank! Could not have said it better myself!

On our Ruby TA I found the pickpockets and beggars to be the worst in Florence. When we were at the cathedral there were several tours there at the same time, and it was very crowded. The gypsies and beggars were circulating through the tour groups; it was very hard to follow the guide and watch your belongings at the same time. In addition with all of the street salesmen with "art" and other stuff to sell it was very distracting and unpleasant. I can see how someone could be easily distracted and become a target. It definitely took the fun out of the day trying to watch everyone and still enjoy the sights. In St. Croce Square a shopkeeper wouldn't let me out of her shop until I had my wallet put securely back in my bag and had my bag zipped up.

One more note. I had my purse picked on the metro in Paris, while travelling with my parents.. I was as vigilant as a human can be, had it zipped, over my head and in front, kept my hands on it.....then my mom balked getting on the metro, there was a crush of people, I was pulling her to get her on board and zip.....wallet was gone. All it took was seconds, as I tugged on her in the very crowded metro.

So be aware that even though you might be as careful as can be, a sudden unexpected situation can cause you to take your hands off and the predator swoops in. Since then, no purse, and I use all the great tips already mentioned. Please think twice about any kind of purse.

Thieves have been known to cut purse straps, too. Easy to do in a crowded situation. We'll be in Europe next summer and you can bet I won't have a purse with me.

If my husband is using a money belt, and I'm not carrying a purse, how do we go about carrying our camera? And do we have to worry about that getting stolen out of our hands?

I mean, I feel like one cannot control everything, but the camera would be much more of a loss to me than money as it would have all my memories from the trip on it! :( Any suggestions on how to protect this?

If my husband is using a money belt, and I'm not carrying a purse, how do we go about carrying our camera? And do we have to worry about that getting stolen out of our hands?

I mean, I feel like one cannot control everything, but the camera would be much more of a loss to me than money as it would have all my memories from the trip on it! :( Any suggestions on how to protect this?

In general most pickpockets are not after cameras. They want cash and credit cards. But if you have a really expensive camera it may be a target. I would suggest you download your photos every day, or if you don't bring a computer, at least have several different memory cards so you won't lose everything if your camera goes missing.

I had a card go bad on me and despite all efforts at retrieval, I lost almost all of our photos from the Baltics cruise. Oh well.....guess I'll just have to go back and do it all again.

Thought I would add my threepenny worth.

Decided last Summer that RCI trip to Pompeii was too expensive so researched through the boards and went by bus and train hired a private gude and had a fab time. On bus on the way back we squeezed onto an overfull bus. A diversion was set up by a woman screaming in Italian and grabbing a man. We were scared and looked and missed being 'done'. My handbag which was being worn across my body and was zipped was opened, my (eye)glasses removed adn the purse taken from under, then glasses replaced ! and our friend's thigh pocket undone and cash removed in the space of a second. It spoilt our last port day.:mad:

The funniest bit is that even with the money lost by myself and Brad we still saved money than if we had gone with RCI trip lol:D

In general most pickpockets are not after cameras. They want cash and credit cards.

I repeat what I said earlier. Don't rely on pickpockets going only after your money and credit cards.

I carry a camera when we travel. I had just bought a brand new Sony camcorder and used it at a few ports including when we arrived in Barcelona. It has a nice tight strap that fits around the back of my right hand. But this limits what I can do with that hand, right?

We are ready to board the HOHO bus after visiting one of the attractions, but I had to reach into my right pant-pocket for the ticket. So I switched the camera to my left hand.

That is when a young guy, who obviously had been waiting for someone like me and knew what he wanted, grabbed the camera and yanked it right out of my hand. It happened quickly, but I reacted also quickly, people yelled and I chased him. He dashed into a street that led uphill and I followed to no avail. He was young and a lot faster. So, after three blocks, I lost him and my camera.

So, don't just think about your wallet. Think about your purse, camera and anything else that is an easy grab for those young punks.

I repeat what I said earlier. Don't rely on pickpockets going only after your money and credit cards.

I carry a camera when we travel. I had just bought a brand new Sony camcorder and used it at a few ports including when we arrived in Barcelona. It has a nice tight strap that fits around the back of my right hand. But this limits what I can do with that hand, right?

We are ready to board the HOHO bus after visiting one of the attractions, but I had to reach into my right pant-pocket for the ticket. So I switched the camera to my left hand.

That is when a young guy, who obviously had been waiting for someone like me and knew what he wanted, grabbed the camera and yanked it right out of my hand. It happened quickly, but I reacted also quickly, people yelled and I chased him. He dashed into a street that led uphill and I followed to no avail. He was young and a lot faster. So, after three blocks, I lost him and my camera.

So, don't just think about your wallet. Think about your purse, camera and anything else that is an easy grab for those young punks.

That is why I said "generally" and then expanded in my second sentence.....:cool:

I've had my wallet lifted in Barcelona but they left the camera -- then again, it's not worth much!

Sounds good to me. Go ahead and keep your wallet in your back pocket and have your wife carry her purse over her shoulder like at home. Don't use money belts and make sure you interact with all the locals that approach you so that you get a true local experience.

Stroll through Barcelona and Rome without a care as though you have an cone of protection over you while you ignore the fact that many well traveled individuals have been pickpocketed. It must be all in their imagination? ;)

Huih:confused: What the heck are you talking about.:confused::confused::confused:

Oysterdam....Please re-read my post. I think you misunderstood. Never stated that I would ignore other poster's words of caution. I simply mean't that I would like to read opinins and advice from Europeans. If you misunderstood, then I apologize for my post not being clear. Nonetheless, your response seems somewhat rude and sarcastic.

That is why I said "generally" and then expanded in my second sentence.....:cool:

I've had my wallet lifted in Barcelona but they left the camera -- then again, it's not worth much!

You are right, Cruisemom, and I am sorry about cutting your quote short.

I guess I am still furious about these thieves in Barcelona and the fact that some people make light of this. The fact is that police protection is virtually unheard of in that city and there is no effort to stop these criminals who are getting away with 'murder'.

We're flying in and out of Rome for a cruise and are staying at a Rome hotel before & after. I plan to wear a money pouch under my clothes while we're touring, but how bad is theft at the airport especially while getting to the taxi area. We plan to take a taxi from FCO airport to our Rome hotel. I'm worried about my carryon which will be full of my cameras, netbook, prescriptions, and other important stuff? Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

I simply mean't that I would like to read opinions and advice from Europeans.

The trouble with asking how the locals feel about the pickpockets is that the locals aren't likely to experience it. Think about it for a second as if you were a thief...

A tourist is more likely to be carrying enough cash for transport, shopping, lunch at a nice restaurant... all the things people do when they are on vacation. Not to mention objects with high resale value like fancy cameras. By contrast if you robbed a communter, you might not get more than a travelcard and a lunchbox full of sandwiches. People don't carry so much money when going about the daily grind.

A tourist is more likely to be distracted. They'll be looking at the scenery, puzzling out directions or just watching people. (And watching people isn't as effective a deterrent as you might think. People in the Med have a different idea of what constitutes personal space than those in Northern Europe or North America. If everybody feels like they're standing too close it's hard to ntoice the one thief who is standing dangerously close.) The commuter, on the other hand, does this journey every day and can spot instantly when something's a bit off.

If you steal from the commuter, they will whip out their cell, cancel their cards, then call the police or walk to the nearest police station to report the theft. That doesn't allow much time for going on a sending spree with their card. By contrast, a tourist probably won't have their cellphone on them, will take a lot longer to get the card cancelling number from directory assistance, will need assistance in finding the police station an may be delayed by a language barrier when they get there. Those delays are bread and butter to a pickpocket who needs to empty out your card quickly. (There's also the issue that American cards are a more attractive target, because they still work on the old 'swipe and sign' method whereas many European banks will refuse to allow charges on a credit card if the user does not know the PIN.)

Those are three very good reasons for thieves to target tourists and leave the locals alone. So asking only Europeans may give you a somewhat rosier picture of crime in the Med. Just like asking only tourists can leave you feeling like the country is riddled with crime. The answer's somewhere in between. Be careful, sure, but don't worry so much it ruins your vacation.

The trouble with asking how the locals feel about the pickpockets is that the locals aren't likely to experience it. Think about it for a second as if you were a thief...

A tourist is more likely to be carrying enough cash for transport, shopping, lunch at a nice restaurant... all the things people do when they are on vacation. Not to mention objects with high resale value like fancy cameras. By contrast if you robbed a communter, you might not get more than a travelcard and a lunchbox full of sandwiches. People don't carry so much money when going about the daily grind.

A tourist is more likely to be distracted. They'll be looking at the scenery, puzzling out directions or just watching people. (And watching people isn't as effective a deterrent as you might think. People in the Med have a different idea of what constitutes personal space than those in Northern Europe or North America. If everybody feels like they're standing too close it's hard to ntoice the one thief who is standing dangerously close.) The commuter, on the other hand, does this journey every day and can spot instantly when something's a bit off.

If you steal from the commuter, they will whip out their cell, cancel their cards, then call the police or walk to the nearest police station to report the theft. That doesn't allow much time for going on a sending spree with their card. By contrast, a tourist probably won't have their cellphone on them, will take a lot longer to get the card cancelling number from directory assistance, will need assistance in finding the police station an may be delayed by a language barrier when they get there. Those delays are bread and butter to a pickpocket who needs to empty out your card quickly. (There's also the issue that American cards are a more attractive target, because they still work on the old 'swipe and sign' method whereas many European banks will refuse to allow charges on a credit card if the user does not know the PIN.)

Those are three very good reasons for thieves to target tourists and leave the locals alone. So asking only Europeans may give you a somewhat rosier picture of crime in the Med. Just like asking only tourists can leave you feeling like the country is riddled with crime. The answer's somewhere in between. Be careful, sure, but don't worry so much it ruins your vacation.

Never said only Europeans but Europeans as well. BTW I am European, 1st generation Italian. Maybe my command of the language as well as Spanish might help me. I understand there is a crime factor in tourist areas in both Spain and Italy and I am in no way making light or tryng to "paint a rosier picture" of the situation. I just wanted to start a discussion on experiences pro and con and what most have done and will do to avoid these crimes without spoiling thier vacations. Most responders seem to have understood that. I started this thread with a simple question, not an accusatory remark nor a negative statement. A question looking for an answer that many have responded, thank-you.

Archived