Small Dogs On Board Why Not?

[quote name='Taxguy77']The cats probably wouldn't have been upset at the horse. There are usually cats around a horse barn, very good for natural rodent control. My Dad's horse and a barn cat seemed to be very good friends with the cat spending lots of time in the stall.
At a cat show however, I don't blame you for worrying.[/quote]
Barn cats, probably not, but I'll bet a lot of [B]house[/B] cats have never seen a horse and would be bothered by it....
or, in typical cat fashion, would put their nose in the air and not deign to acknowledge the horse's existence.... :)

[quote name='cb at sea']Oh, please! Even children can be left with a "sitter" and it doesn't hurt them. Same with your pets. They don't mind it near as much as you do!

I can just see cabins having to be "de-flea-ed" after pets--and cats that "spray"---c'mon![/quote]

if THE CARPETS are not FLEA free why not bring your pets in, Come On?

I guess the carpets on the cruise ships are all full of bugs, then?
When you walk around with no shoes in your cabin don 't think that they polish up the floor or clean it sparkling clean for you missy, or hissy. I thought that taking a part of my family with me, would be good If I would go with A Suite, so that He will not be left alone at home, away from his family.

I think next time I will request a special request. I gather that once they get my drift I can have my darling Corbin come with us.:D

[quote name='Mokaheena']I really hope this is a joke.

1st of all, all animals have to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks when leaving/entering a country.
2nd: dogs chew and make messes. Do you know HOW expensive it would be to refurbish the ship every time a dog chewed something?
3rd: I don't care how clean your dog is, they still smell.
4th: I don't want to be next to your cabin when your dog decides to bark it up at night.
5th: Where is your dog going to do its "business"?

Now cats... Those are another issue! :D:rolleyes::D:D[/quote]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=royalblue]Moka no it is not a joke, who would put a joke on here to ask a personal question, you?
Not I. I thought that my small tea cup dog and one of my little skinny cat would love to come along with their momma on the next big ship. I would care for them and take away their poop, and litter, I would treat my stateroom like it was my own home, not some like other slobs who come on board very clean and then leave their entire staterooms like a slobbly mess. I wonder if they leave their own homes this way too. its really sad that we can not bring our loved ones along, maybe in due time for those of us who have a few bucks extra we can bring our loved pets on board.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=#4169e1]Quaranteed for what? A Flea? MY animals do not have Fleas. they live inside the house My doggy has a patch of grass to do his thing on and I throw it away 2 times a day. I value my little ones.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=#4169e1]I thought I asked a good question, apparently you all think its a joke, the jokes on you all, who are not understanding in allowing a person to care for their loved ones[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='dustyroad']:eek::eek: the normal crowds of passengers is enough, let alone poop and urine all over the place in a cabin or wherever the aninmals would be left to roam. this is definetely not part of the cabin stewards job--too have to clean up after pets. if you cant be without them for a week maybe you should stay home and be with them. im sorry but this is the a ridiculous idea to expect the ships to allow.[/quote]

My friend has a seeing eye dog with her on her cruise they allowed it last year I seen it, i was on the Mariner and they allowed it, she had a suite state room and her husband along with her dog Peanut. He was so nice, No one said a peep to her, she had all the legal rights to bring her dog. I was just wanted to know how you all thought about it, apparently you all got to be very nasty to me I think its time to report the rest of you.

With all due respect for pet lovers, it really isn't fair to impose the presence (or scented memories) of pets upon people who left the land because they wanted to get away.

As far as cats and horses -- most horses do a lot better with a cat, dog or even a rooster around. Horses are herd animals - they are uncomfortable being alone -- and are broad-minded enough to accept any living thing.

I think Red Hot is sitting back and enjoying the previous 71 posts. Seems they have 4 cats but only want to take 2 plus a dog. Hey Red Hot, did you just get the dog?:p:D

Yes I just got the poodle its a teacup the other ones are going to stay home with the sitter.

I am an animal lover, but ... I have spent the past 5 years in my townhouse, where we've lived for over 30 years, listening to three yipping and yapping rat-dogs next door, on the other side of a shared wall. Other people on the street get to hear the ruckus thru open windows and doors. The local police and our condo board both have issued many, many warnings and fines ... finally, the owners are seeing the reality of money down the toilet because of their uncontrolled and uncontrollable pets.

So, no, I do not want to hear the same "serenade" when I cruise. Dogs bark ... and sound travels thru the cabin walls to the hallway or the next door cabins. As for cats, many people have allergy issues.

In addition, I doubt crew, particularly cabin stewards, signed up to be poop scoopers!

Animal care can be handled by friends, family, kennels or ... perhaps land-based vacations would work better for those who can't be away from their critters.

you are such a wonderful neighbor, i would love to be your neighbor so quiet and not let a pin drop in your toliet seat...

Moka no it is not a joke...

Well if it´s not a joke all I can say fortunately it´s not gonna happen. Cruise ship travel internationally and there´s too many restrictions on bringing animals from one country to another for cruise lines to deal with this. And if another cruiseline besides Cunard would do this they fortnuately would have to confine tose animals to kennels as well.

So apart from service animals we are safe onboard.

I respect the need of service animals onboard, but that´s it for me.

Well if it´s not a joke all I can say fortunately it´s not gonna happen. Cruise ship travel internationally and there´s too many restrictions on bringing animals from one country to another for cruise lines to deal with this. And if another cruiseline besides Cunard would do this they fortnuately would have to confine tose animals to kennels as well.

So apart from service animals we are safe onboard.

I respect the need of service animals onboard, but that´s it for me.

Well put. I have no problem with service animals on board. I have 2 cats and a bird, and I love them as if they were my own children. However, I respect that not everyone loves my pets as much as I do, just like I don't like everyone else's kids as much as they do. People have allergies, and there would have to be restrictions to pet zones, and pet free rooms, etc. This is just completely unrealistic.

My friend has a seeing eye dog with her on her cruise they allowed it last year I seen it, i was on the Mariner and they allowed it, she had a suite state room and her husband along with her dog Peanut. He was so nice, No one said a peep to her,

I was just wanted to know how you all thought about it, apparently you all got to be very nasty to me I think its time to report the rest of you.

she had all the legal rights to bring her dog. you have answered your own question.

seeing eye dogs are very much a neccessity for those who need them and they are allowed onboard. but pets in general are not part of the cruise vacation i would want to share a week with. sorry if i sound harsh but there are places for pets too be and cruise ships is not one of them in my book. kids make enough noise let alone anyone who might bring on a yappy little dog. not saying yours does, but there are many who do, mine included. i love him to death and will miss him tremendiously while i am gone but both of us will be better off being in our seperate places while im cruising.

While one of the things *I* want to get away from is the responsibility of getting up with my animals in the morning, having to go for walks, giving them their medicine (ours are elderly), there is a market out there for something like this.

There are an increasing number of luxury hotels that not only take pets, but have special amenities and services for them. Just do a search for "luxury hotels pets". They would have the same challenges as cruise ships (as long as they stayed in US waters, like a cruise to nowhere, or, maybe, in N. America). And, yet, they have not seen this cutting into their profit margin.

Just a thought.

While one of the things *I* want to get away from is the responsibility of getting up with my animals in the morning, having to go for walks, giving them their medicine (ours are elderly), there is a market out there for something like this.

There are an increasing number of luxury hotels that not only take pets, but have special amenities and services for them. Just do a search for "luxury hotels pets". They would have the same challenges as cruise ships (as long as they stayed in US waters, like a cruise to nowhere, or, maybe, in N. America). And, yet, they have not seen this cutting into their profit margin.

Just a thought.

But (aside from NCLA) there are no cruises within US waters. And with the PSA there won´t be any.

But (aside from NCLA) there are no cruises within US waters. And with the PSA there won´t be any.

What about cruises to nowhere?

And, I believe you can take your pet to Canada across land (I could be wrong about this, however) so the New England/Canada trips could be a go.

I guess I'm thinking for specific sailings, rather than a full time ship.

On another thought I don´t think that a cruise ship is a pet friendly environment and I believe that many pets won´t enjoy their time on a rocking ship, in a small cabin, with no real place to go for them. JMHO

Well, that would probably depend on the pet. Most cats would be perfectly content. In graduate school, my cat lived in my bedroom, as my roommates didn't want her out and about. She was very happy. Lots of cats live in efficiency apartments.

We currently have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They are velcro dogs. They want NOTHING more than to sit on our laps and do nothing. We chose these types of dogs because of their personalities... we wanted couch potatoes. They'd be in heaven if we got a balcony cabin (cos we spend a lot of time on our balconies reading) and took them with us.

We were on a 4 day cruise on the Norwegian Sky out of Miami in Feb and I kid you not when I say there was a couple onboard that had a small dog dressed up in a little outfit, in a baby stroller, walking around the ship. We also saw the same couple walking around Atlantis with their dog in the stroller. I figured it must have been someone really important to have their dog onboard.

There was also a man on the cruise with his seeing eye dog.

My friend has a seeing eye dog with her on her cruise they allowed it last year I seen it, i was on the Mariner and they allowed it, she had a suite state room and her husband along with her dog Peanut. He was so nice, No one said a peep to her, she had all the legal rights to bring her dog. I was just wanted to know how you all thought about it, apparently you all got to be very nasty to me I think its time to report the rest of you.
I think next time I will request a special request. I gather that once they get my drift I can have my darling Corbin come with us.:D

There are ADA laws regarding service animals, so yes, your friend had the legal right to bring her seeing eye dog with her.

You do not have the same legal right regarding your pet; no matter how much you love your dog, unless you have the medical/legal documentation for a trained service animal, all the "special requests" in the world will not make it possible for you to bring your dog onboard.

REDHOTITALIANTRAVELER, I have a question about your signature. When are you supposed to go on the Freedom?

I have asked her this 2x and got no response. Her 5/1/09 FOS cruise doesn't exist, or maybe she's boarding the ship at a Port of Call on that day! ;)

I have asked her this 2x and got no response. Her 5/1/09 FOS cruise doesn't exist, or maybe she's boarding the ship at a Port of Call on that day! ;)

That's exactly what I was getting at. I find it odd that she plans on boarding FOS in Cozumel with only 2 days remaining in the April 26 sailing.

This is too funny....made me think about taking our 3 Scottish Terriers with us...LOL I am sure that our balcony cabin neighbors would just love to wake up to them Arrooing at 6 in the morning and then when "Red Hot Italian Traveler's" cats came out for fresh air what a huge mess that would be. Our babies will be at "Camp Sit/Stay" having a wonderful vacation from us when we board the FOS on May the 4th.

I read in today's paper that an airline will cater especially to pets, it is called Pet airline I think. Maybe someday there will be a "pet ship" but in the meantime, pets not beeing allowed on ship allows me to cruise. I have really bad allergies and can't even fly Westjet because they allow pets in the cabin. I would not take a chance to be in a cabin where a cat stayed il the last few days, nor risk sharing crowed elevators and be face to face with one.

Maybe a web cam in their quarters at home would help stay in touch?

Do I think that the OP is joking? I do not. And my previous answer is also perfectly serious and not meant to make fun of the OP's question. To bring your pet on a cruise ship is rather selfish in my opinion. Selfish in that there is no consideration for fellow passengers (my dog and cat are angels (who have sucessfully stayed at pet-friendly hotels) yet I understand that there are people that are scared of animals/have allergies/find animals dirty/etc). Your fellow cruisers also paid good money to be on the ship. To expect everyone aboard to cater to your desire to have your animals aboard is selfish. Even if you take wonderful care/control of your pets the OP has to understand that there are those who would not. MANY who would not. It would be a nightmare and the OP really has to realize that sometimes things that we want just can't be accommodated for very good reasons. And what if everyone wanted their pets aboard at the same time? It would be bedlam. It is also selfish in that you are going to assume that your pets are going to enjoy being on the ship with you. Again, my pets will be much happier with my parents when we cruise next month.

So just friendly advice to the OP: Think a little about your request and try to understand why it really is not a good idea. This thread is full of really good reasons. There are plenty of pet-friendly vacations that you can go on with your babies, sadly a cruise is a poor choice. A simple internet search will yield a plethora of pet-friendly activities, hotels, B&B's, etc. If vacationing with your pets is very important to you, try some of these great places!

Archived