Small Dogs On Board Why Not?

It's a policy, not a regulation. QE2 even has a kennel.

QE2 had a kennel and QM2 has a kennel. However dogs taken on these ship travel in that kennel - period. No taking them out of there. You won´t find them anywhere on the ship and you won´t find them getting on and off in ports of call. They are confined to the kennel for the entire trip and can be visited there, but not taken out.

The obvious reasons have been well discussed (people with animal phobias, allergies, hygiene, poop on the poop deck, 3am barking marathons, issues with international transport/quarantine, etc) but another main reason in my mind is that I don't think it is fair to the animals! Cruise ships are built to amuse people, not animals. A ship is potentially a very scary and dangerous place for dogs and especially cats (mine would be terrified and hiding the whole time!). No one wants a terrified run-away cat or dog careening around the ship should they get loose. What if your pet bit someone? I don't even want to think about the lawsuits against the cruiseline that would follow. And you couldn't possibly guarantee that a pet would be kept only in the cabin to avoid some of these potential issues (plus, how much would that suck for the pet to be stuck in one room the whole time??) Of course there are some dogs/cats that would possibly be fine and well behaved but how can the cruise ships possibly screen which animals are suitable candidates? They can't. And what if your pet was to become ill? I'm a veterinarian and as much as a job as a cruisin' doc would be ever so fun, I strongly believe that our pets have no place on the high seas. They are best left at home where they are safest.

:)

QE2 had a kennel and QM2 has a kennel. However dogs taken on these ship travel in that kennel - period. No taking them out of there. You won´t find them anywhere on the ship and you won´t find them getting on and off in ports of call. They are confined to the kennel for the entire trip and can be visited there, but not taken out.

Wow, glad that was clarified! My Golden was getting nervous with all this talk about small dogs on cruises :D

I can't keep those queens straight. Regardless, there isn't a CDC regulation against it if the QM2 does it, and the QE2 used to, which was my point in the first place.

Anyway, I think a person who's willing to stuff them in a bathroom for the cruise would be more than happy to have them in a kennel where they could be visited, and looked after.

Red Hot:

good grief....yuck.....you must be joking. But, if you are serious the answer would be "no dogs, cats, tigers, bears, etc" for the same reason they are not allowed on our beach. Who want's to put a bare foot down where an animal has pooped?????:eek:

I simply do not understand why people think their pets should be welcome everywhere they are. I've seen people with their little "purse doggies" in the supermarket (which is against the law, at least it is here) and even at community chorus rehearsals. I've been to fundraiser walks and outdoor events where there are dogs on leash everywhere; some of these are better behaved than others (and yes, I do realize you can say this about people's kids as well).

HOWEVER:

Some of us are allergic. Some of us simply do not care for (or are even afraid of) cats, dogs, or other types of pets. That's why we don't own them.

Precious as they are to you, they are not human beings and shouldn't be treated the same.

I don't want to have an allergic reaction because the person who had the cabin before me brought their kitty.

I don't want to listen to a dog barking in the cabin next door because his people are gone and he's bored.

I don't to have to move from my deck chair because somebody has brought their pet up and decided they wanted the chair next to mine.

I do understand that people want to be with their pets, but as I am allergic to dogs and cats, I would struggle with the hair being all over my cabin or the ship - so happy with the Cunard arrangement but would be a big no from me.

I can't keep those queens straight. Regardless, there isn't a CDC regulation against it if the QM2 does it, and the QE2 used to, which was my point in the first place.

Anyway, I think a person who's willing to stuff them in a bathroom for the cruise would be more than happy to have them in a kennel where they could be visited, and looked after.

I really don´t know if there´s a CDC regulation or not, so I can´t discuss the existance of one or not.

However what I wanted to point out the existance of a kennel onboard these ships says nothing about there being such a regulation or not.

It´s a way different scenario to transport animals on a ship having them confined to a kennel or to have them in guest cabins / all over the ship with their holders.

You are right in one point though, if Cunard can have kennels onboard other lines could probably do the same if they wanted to. But I doubt it will happen and even Cunard (as far as I know) have them only on their Transatlantic liner and this seems to be a thing of the past tradition of transporting stuff between the continents. In the old days you could have your car onboard as well. Might be still possible with enough money;)

Wow!

I don't think some people have to be so cruel and nasty. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but you don't have to be so harsh.

For some people, their pet is their child.

I personally don't see anything wrong with wanting to take your pet with you. I read that you can do so on the Cunard line.

While ships do prohibit animals in general, they MUST permit service animals. We were on a RCCL cruise with two seeing eye dogs (one German Shepherd, one Lab). We encountered them in the elevator on a few occasions and they were at the dining room table right next to ours. Perfectly behaved I might add. The ship has a special area on one of the lower decks with dirt and grass for them to do their business.

People have also reported seeing small dogs on ships - service dogs are not only for the blind - many can predict seizures or diabetic comas as well. Actually, they don't even have to be dogs. I was managing a cat show once (where other animals are strictly prohibited) and someone walked in with a small HORSE (about the size of a Great Dane) - I kid you not. As I rushed up to ask them to leave, I was grabbed by one of the judges who informed me that it was a service horse and I could do nothing about it (but I did tell the people that it could really upset the cats and they were nice enough to leave).

[quote name='gerif']While ships do prohibit animals in general, they MUST permit service animals. We were on a RCCL cruise with two seeing eye dogs (one German Shepherd, one Lab). We encountered them in the elevator on a few occasions and they were at the dining room table right next to ours. Perfectly behaved I might add. The ship has a special area on one of the lower decks with dirt and grass for them to do their business.

People have also reported seeing small dogs on ships - service dogs are not only for the blind - many can predict seizures or diabetic comas as well. Actually, they don't even have to be dogs. I was managing a cat show once (where other animals are strictly prohibited) and someone walked in with a small HORSE (about the size of a Great Dane) - I kid you not. As I rushed up to ask them to leave, I was grabbed by one of the judges who informed me that it was a service horse and I could do nothing about it (but I did tell the people that it could really upset the cats and they were nice enough to leave).[/QUOTE]

I've heard about these horses. Apparently the advantage is that they are only a little bigger than a big dog, and they live a LOOOONG time (20 years plus), so they don't need to be "replaced" as often, saving on training costs and emotional trauma to the person they're helping.

I can't imagine the poor room stewards having to clean up after a animal. Dog or cat hair takes time to remove from furniture, bedding ect. Plus you have those who may be very allergic to cats or dogs. Leave your beloved pets with trusted friends or have them ck on them in your home. Just don't bring them on a cruise--what if they got seasick:confused::eek:

I can think of a few reasons.
[LIST]
[*]Dog poop/pee.
[*]Passengers with allergies to dogs.
[*]Dog poop/pee.
[*]Liability issues if the dog snaps at someone.
[*]Dog poop/pee.
[*]Children who are fearful of dogs or people who just don't like dogs.
[*]Dog poop/pee.
[*]Pet odors in the cabins.
[/LIST]There are so many reasons. And I am the owner of a small dog. I wouldn't even DREAM of taking her on a cruise ship.

We also would not be happy being the next guest(s) in a stateroom where a dog or cat had been, some of the reasons are hair, smell, etc:

I can see it now main dining room listening to some yippie little lap dog, that the owner has zero control over.

[quote name='RED HOT ITALIAN TRAVELER'][SIZE=4]I always wanted to know if there was a way that when we would book a suite that we can have our small puppies with us? I have a small dog which I would love to take on my cruise or my two cats with us, they can stay in the bathrooms, there, for our special guests. Afterall we have no wheres to bring our other buddies.Maybe have a place where we can keep our dogs where other doggies can play too, to keep them active as well? I think that they need to have the future ships with a place for our furry friends[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]I can not understand why RCCL does not have a place to keep our happy pets at. Maybe a room with some grass to have our doggies do their business and our kitties can have their litter boxes in the rooms with a cover and a lid?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]I think that should be the next thing to do, help us so we can still enjoy our vacations and our pets just the same.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]RED:D[/SIZE][/quote]

You're kidding, right? A little late for "April Fools!", but...

no, I don't think that any cruise line should accommodate our pets. My four furkids are quite content to stay at home in familiar surroundings, with someone coming in regularly to clean up after them, feed and play with them, and make sure they're OK. That's [I]much[/I] better for them..

and for me. I don't have to worry about them in unfamiliar surroundings, about having strangers (room stewards) enter the room and let them out, worrying about transporting their food, tending to their bathroom habits, etc. I'm on vacation, they're "on vacation", everyone is OK. That's all that matters.

I understand service animals, but I was on a cruise once where a woman had an "emotional support" dog ... I crossed paths with the animal several times ... once while it was seasick and yacking during a show in the theater and another time when it peed on the open deck (which was just sopped up with papertowels ... yuck).

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]There was a service dog in training on our last cruise - Curry - we got to meet her and her trainer and to understand the system and the reason for her being there. I don't believe anyone could object to having a service dog on board.... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]I would have serious issues in staying in a room that had been used to house a pet though. Fleas, poop..... and the rest...... no thanks. Our cat and dogs go to kennels in our absence. They have their holiday and we have ours.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]Popcorn anyone?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RED HOT ITALIAN TRAVELER'][SIZE=4]
I can not understand why RCCL does not have a place to keep our happy pets at.[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[/quote]

Seriously? You really don't understand?

An why RCCL? Does Carnival, NCL, or Disney allow them? :rolleyes:

Archived