Small Dogs On Board Why Not?

[quote name='pamcdon']Wow!
I don't think some people have to be so cruel and nasty. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but you don't have to be so harsh.
For some people, their pet is their child.
I personally don't see anything wrong with wanting to take your pet with you. I read that you can do so on the Cunard line.[/quote]
A few of the Cunard ships have kennels. The pets stay in the kennels during the entire trip. Far different from having your pet in your cabin with you.
There's nothing wrong with WANTING to take your pet with you, but expecting others to feel the same and support you is an entirely different story.
And posting the same question on several boards does feel like stirring the pot to me...

[quote name='pamcdon']Wow!

I don't think some people have to be so cruel and nasty. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but you don't have to be so harsh.

For some people, their pet is their child.

I personally don't see anything wrong with wanting to take your pet with you. I read that you can do so on the Cunard line.[/quote]

You can take your pet with you, but it must stay below deck in a kennel. That's lots of fun for your pet I bet. Not.

The post to which you refer was certainly not cruel and nasty. OP, at my last count, had posted this same silly question on three boards. I don't understand why spamming the boards is allowed at this website. I think OP did not seriously mean this and just wanted to stir things up.

And of course, we all have helped them do so.

I am an animal lover, but ... I have spent the past 5 years in my townhouse, where we've lived for over 30 years, listening to three yipping and yapping rat-dogs next door, on the other side of a shared wall. Other people on the street get to hear the ruckus thru open windows and doors. The local police and our condo board both have issued many, many warnings and fines ... finally, the owners are seeing the reality of money down the toilet because of their uncontrolled and uncontrollable pets.

So, no, I do not want to hear the same "serenade" when I cruise. Dogs bark ... and sound travels thru the cabin walls to the hallway or the next door cabins. As for cats, many people have allergy issues.

In addition, I doubt crew, particularly cabin stewards, signed up to be poop scoopers!

Animal care can be handled by friends, family, kennels or ... perhaps land-based vacations would work better for those who can't be away from their critters.

I really hope this guy is kidding.:eek:
I mean, think about it, does any one (animal lover or not) really want to be on a cruise ship where there's dogs and cats all over the place?
Number one it wouldn't be safe for the pet or the passengers.
Number two it wouldn't be sanitary.
Number three it would be very distracting for every one around including to the people who work on the ship.
Could you imagine every ten minutes having to clean up poo, pee, or even hairballs if you were a deck hand? How would you ever get anything else done like getting rid of chair hogs stuff?:rolleyes:
Also it wouldn't be cost effective to the passenger or the cruise line. The cruise line would have to pay a lot of money to get rid of fleas, urine smell, poo smell, damage to cabins and other areas and would most likely charge it all to the passenger.
Sounds like a big mess to me.
Put you Pajamas on because you are Dreaming.:p

I love my dog very much but there is no way I would ever consider taking him on a cruise with me. It is not fair to the other passengers or the staff and most of all, it isn't fair to the animal.

My dog has far more fun at "daycare" while we are gone then he would have on a cruise.

[quote name='MrPete']Fortunately, that only goes to Canada.

No soul, no shirty.[/quote]

Who says animals don't have souls? Apparently you haven't seen the movie, "All Dogs Go To Heaven"

I would never want to cruise with my dogs but, I wonder how pet friendly hotels handle the flea, hair and "accident" problems?

[quote name='kitty9']I'm seriously allergic to cats and if they were permitted on ships and I didn't know someone had a cat on board, I would make sure someone paid for my trouble.[/quote]
My DH too. I would never be able to cruise with him again if this was permitted.

[quote name='Aquahound']Seriously? You really don't understand?

An why RCCL? Does Carnival, NCL, or Disney allow them? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Disney Cruises allows them! Haven't you ever heard of Pluto and Goofy? They're quite often at the deck parties.

Pearl

I really hope this is a joke.

1st of all, all animals have to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks when leaving/entering a country.
2nd: dogs chew and make messes. Do you know HOW expensive it would be to refurbish the ship every time a dog chewed something?
3rd: I don't care how clean your dog is, they still smell.
4th: I don't want to be next to your cabin when your dog decides to bark it up at night.
5th: Where is your dog going to do its "business"?

Now cats... Those are another issue! :D:rolleyes::D:D

[quote name='Mokaheena']I really hope this is a joke.

1st of all, all animals have to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks when leaving/entering a country.
2nd: dogs chew and make messes. Do you know HOW expensive it would be to refurbish the ship every time a dog chewed something?
3rd: I don't care how clean your dog is, they still smell.
4th: I don't want to be next to your cabin when your dog decides to bark it up at night.
5th: Where is your dog going to do its "business"?

Now cats... Those are another issue! :D:rolleyes::D:D[/quote]

Not true about the quarantine for all countries. We adopted a dog from Mexico (some people bring back t-shirts as souvenirs, we wound up with a poodle...long story). In any case, as long as the dog has had all of it's shots, etc. and has a letter stating such by a certified vet, there is no quarantine period. I know the same is true when bringing a dog from Europe.

Regardless, dogs and cats don't belong on cruise ships!

[quote name='linda_22003'] It's impossible to imagine a cat as a service animal. :p
[/quote]

My wife is legally blind, I keep telling her that I am going to have a small harness made for our cat and then tell everyone that he is a seeing eye cat.:D

[quote name='cb at sea']Oh, please! Even children can be left with a "sitter" and it doesn't hurt them. Same with your pets. They don't mind it near as much as you do!

I can just see cabins having to be "de-flea-ed" after pets--and cats that "spray"---c'mon![/quote]

:eek::eek: the normal crowds of passengers is enough, let alone poop and urine all over the place in a cabin or wherever the aninmals would be left to roam. this is definetely not part of the cabin stewards job--too have to clean up after pets. if you cant be without them for a week maybe you should stay home and be with them. im sorry but this is the a ridiculous idea to expect the ships to allow.

[quote name='gerif'] I was managing a cat show once (where other animals are strictly prohibited) and someone walked in with a small HORSE (about the size of a Great Dane) - I kid you not. As I rushed up to ask them to leave, I was grabbed by one of the judges who informed me that it was a service horse and I could do nothing about it (but I did tell the people that it could really upset the cats and they were nice enough to leave).[/quote]

Okay, I gotta admit, I love to see one of these little guys on my cruise! :)

[URL]http://www.guidehorse.org/[/URL]

CG

[quote name='cruislovin']It won't be heaven without dogs - already have 2 waiting patiently for us at the Rainbow Bridge![/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't care to get into a theological debate with anyone, but I believe with all my heart that the souls of our "babies" (cats and dogs both in our case) will welcome us.

beachchick

[quote name='gerif']People have also reported seeing small dogs on ships - service dogs are not only for the blind - many can predict seizures or diabetic comas as well. Actually, they don't even have to be dogs. I was managing a cat show once (where other animals are strictly prohibited) and someone walked in with a small HORSE (about the size of a Great Dane) - I kid you not. As I rushed up to ask them to leave, I was grabbed by one of the judges who informed me that it was a service horse and I could do nothing about it (but I did tell the people that it could really upset the cats and they were nice enough to leave).[/QUOTE]
The cats probably wouldn't have been upset at the horse. There are usually cats around a horse barn, very good for natural rodent control. My Dad's horse and a barn cat seemed to be very good friends with the cat spending lots of time in the stall.
At a cat show however, I don't blame you for worrying.

Archived