NCL has new Luggage rules

Redheel Girl

It also says "Suitcases should be securely tagged with your name, address and a contact number. And it's always a good idea to hand carry important documents, medication, jewelry and other valuables." That seems to imply that you will have something to carry those valuables in.

Wife and I just went on the SKY. Suitcases went to the POM porters, and we went to security with our carry ons. I saw no evidence that porters were telling the security screeners how many suitcases we brought. I *assume* it means two suitcases and one carry on.

You know, writing up a policy like that is the simplest thing in the world. It amazes me that NCL writes it in such a way that it can be confused..

I can understand NCL making a 'suggestion' as to how much luggage you bring. It means more work for the employees when there are more bags to deliver to the rooms or pick up on the last night.

But why do they have to make it sound like they are doing it because of the airlines? That's bogus.

Some people are going to bring more than others - that's understandable. Some people are light packers. I'm kind of in-between.

And we don't fly (except by Suburban) to the pier - we are lucky enough to live about 12 minutes away from Pier 66 where we get onto the NCL ships that take us to Alaska!:D

If someone has mentioned this, I apologize that I missed your posting. But NCL land based customer service has for YEARS said you could not bring aboard soda or water. I can not believe that has not come up by now on this posting. For years they have said you could not bring bottle water or soda onboard and for years people have marched right onboard with it without any question or concern. So to me, that is a moot point.

As for the luggage, I don't care what anyone thinks of how much luggage I may or may not bring. In other words if I want to bring 300lbs of luggage I could care less what someone on this board thinks of how much Im bringing. If its too much, not enough, anything. It is my vacation and until someone on this board pays for it, I will continue to bring as much or as little as I want to bring. As far as NCL, same thing goes. The day NCL says something to me about how much luggage I bring, is the last cruise I take with NCL. Not that the loss of our business would matter that much to NCL, but I am sure there are more out there who would feel the way I do. As I said on the other thread about this issue...If NCL doesn't like the amount of luggage we bring on a cruise they can kiss my fat, spending a ton of money while Im on board their ships, A&&.

The lawyer in me can't help but say, PRINT out the current version of the web site addressing luggage. I think we will be well under any "new" rule, and being the cabin we are in I'll guess they wouldn't say squat... but just in case, there it is printed and placed in my cruise folder. If someone says something, just show them their own dang web site.

I also can't imagine them being heartless over a brides "extra" stuff, and if they were like the airlines, they will just charge you for it! Maybe they are toying with yet another way to make some money.

NJHorseman - love the photo, even if it is so tiny I can hardly see it. I grew up spending summers with my Grandparents and Grandpa raised harness racing horses. Sat on a blanket on the side of a sulky many a training ride, learned to hook up the horse as a little girl, could hardly reach! A few years ago I was in Michigan (where I summerred) and saw a man come down the road with his horse and sulky and I just started sobbing... my poor children couldn't understand! Anyway, hope that is you and that you have a great time with your horses!!!

Next week this time I'll be on my cruise!! Oh yeah!!

NJHorseman - love the photo, even if it is so tiny I can hardly see it. I grew up spending summers with my Grandparents and Grandpa raised harness racing horses. Sat on a blanket on the side of a sulky many a training ride, learned to hook up the horse as a little girl, could hardly reach! A few years ago I was in Michigan (where I summerred) and saw a man come down the road with his horse and sulky and I just started sobbing... my poor children couldn't understand! Anyway, hope that is you and that you have a great time with your horses!!!

Next week this time I'll be on my cruise!! Oh yeah!!

It is a very old photo...possibly over 100 years old...so even though I'm an old geezer, it isn't me in the picture! ;)

I'm sure you're familiar with the saying "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man," frequently attributed to Winston Churchill.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

...but just in case, there it is printed and placed in my cruise folder. If someone says something, just show them their own dang web site. Next week this time I'll be on my cruise!! Oh yeah!!

Thanks for the advice... all ready to go - 'armed' with the website printout LOL. I'll put it with my E-Docs if I EVER GET MY E-DOCS! 39 DAYS OUT AND STILL WAITING! Gheeeesh.

Have a GREAT time on your cruise!

Clare

I don't have my little cruise book handy just now (one of my daughters has it) but I recall reading that one should bring at least two suits (so one can always have a dry, fresh suit). You should also have a cover up for going to and from pool areas. I was grateful for that info on my last cruise when I was standing next to a very drippy person in the elevator who looked like she wished she had my cover up.

Sorry... I didn't realize it was an old photo... I had assumed (not always a good idea) since your name included horseman... it was you. Whoops! Please forgive!

Great saying!

No offense was taken, so no apology is necessary! It's an old, small photo that's very hard to see. If I wasn't the one who uses it as an avatar, I probably wouldn't know what it is either.

And I am, or was, a horseman, so your conclusion was logical.

I know some will disagree but I stand by my statement that no one should ever need to pack more than 100 pounds of stuff for a week-long cruise.

Standing next to you in agreement.

I have trouble with ONE large heavy suitcase, a carry-on and a backpack. can't imagine dragging over 200 pounds :eek:

With the new luggage rules, it sounds like they are trying to limit the carrying on of soda and bottled water....so now I need to bring my Brita water pitcher more than ever!! ;)

Drink out of the tap. It was fine when we went *shrug*

I never drank soda. Coffee, water and juice. I was fine ;)

Yesterday we received our Welcome Aboard Information and read about the two suitcase limit, then laughed because in the same envelope was three bag tags for each of us. We are doing the three day cruise on Sky, so not worried about luggage. But, we did get a good giggle over the contradiction.

I'm not sure why most pax would need more than 1 med-large suitcase and 1 carry-on with NCL, especially with NCL's casual dress code.

DT

I have three simply becasue for me two medium pieces and one small piece of luggage is easier to handle than one large and one small piece. One is for my closes, one for my cpap, and one for my laptop. For me my laptop isn't optional. I'm in grad school year round so being able to do my work on my laptop and then hook up to the internet to submit assignments is the only way I get a vacation. I'd rather not check my computer at the pier and I'd rather not pack a large suitcase just to get my clothes and cpap in the same piece of luggage since we drive to the port. If I didn't have to take my computer I'd agree with you.

Yesterday we received our Welcome Aboard Information and read about the two suitcase limit, then laughed because in the same envelope was three bag tags for each of us. We are doing the three day cruise on Sky, so not worried about luggage. But, we did get a good giggle over the contradiction.

Three could possibly be for 2 checked and 1 carry on each.

OK, I'm going to be the rebel here...I'm bringing what ever I want and feel I need when it comes time to pack! And..I am going to use all 6 luggage tags!!

so there...I said it! :rolleyes:

Im with you Suzy..LOL

Yeah, but she probably means using the six tags for two people. You want to use them all for yourself. :eek::D;)

I have three simply becasue for me two medium pieces and one small piece of luggage is easier to handle than one large and one small piece. One is for my closes, one for my cpap, and one for my laptop. For me my laptop isn't optional. I'm in grad school year round so being able to do my work on my laptop and then hook up to the internet to submit assignments is the only way I get a vacation. I'd rather not check my computer at the pier and I'd rather not pack a large suitcase just to get my clothes and cpap in the same piece of luggage since we drive to the port. If I didn't have to take my computer I'd agree with you.

I bought a BreatheX Journey CPAP just for traveling. It is about 2 pounds...and only takes up a small portion of the small carry-on I take. The hoses and mask take up a little more, then I put a lot of clothes in along with it. A backpack and large suitcase that I check holds the rest. The small CPAP has realllllly made traveling so much easier! It is rechargeable, charging during the day, and just use it at night. No need to find a plug in close to you, as it has been charged during the day. SO MUCH nicer not to drag that heavy CPAP bag :) :) My friend has a backpack with a "slot" for her laptop.

Edited by Traveller20074

I bought a BreatheX Journey CPAP just for traveling. It is about 2 pounds...and only takes up a small portion of the small carry-on I take. The hoses and mask take up a little more, then I put a lot of clothes in along with it. A backpack and large suitcase that I check holds the rest. The small CPAP has realllllly made traveling so much easier! It is rechargeable, charging during the day, and just use it at night. No need to find a plug in close to you, as it has been charged during the day. SO MUCH nicer not to drag that heavy CPAP bag :) :) My friend has a backpack with a "slot" for her laptop.

Sorry to hijack this thread. This machine looks interesting. Is it small enough to get this and a laptop in a small suitcase? We are spoiled to live close to a port and usually get there early enough to be one of the first ones on the ship. This means we're rolling the pullone to the buffet until 1 or 1:30 when the rooms open. Would there be room for the cpap and laptop in the same suitcase? On the last night would there be room for the toiletries as well to be packed when we get off in the morning? My current cpap I usually put the bag over the handle of my suitcase and roll off with my laptop and have my mom's and my toiletries in with my laptop as well as any breakables that we want to carry off in the suitcase.

Edited by pjlee3333