~Cruise Critic Group Cruise To Alaska ~ Amsterdam May 2010~

LEtue

I don't think it is safe to assume that the first row of portholes is deck 1. I have been on Deck 2 on another ship and been the first row of portholes. You really need to check the floorplan AND count the decks in the photo, and even then you might be wrong! Safest thing is to call the cruiseline and ask the agent -- of course, I have had them tell me untruths before, also. Sometimes you just have to go on faith!

Using the HAL website cabin details, deck plans and pictures of the ship here is what I found. The G and H outside categories are located mostly in the bow (and a couple aft) and they have port holes. The HH is fully obstructed (close to mid ship) and some may have some view - hard to tell. There would be light in the cabin and the obstruction may not matter since we wouldn't be sitting there trying to sightsee anyway.

Ooops, forgot to mention that there are 3 G category cabins in the aft that face aft. They have picture windows but would be looking out on the rear deck. The scenery beyond should still be visible though...:)

Hey cruisers,

I did a study when I was on the Zaandam on which cabins had views and which had views at an angle....and those that had absolutely no view, on Lower Promenade deck.

The numbering is slightly different on the Amsterdam , but the cutouts in the bulkhead are identical between the two ships.

I should be able to study both ships and let you know the best cabins.

I had the handicap HH at the back on the Zaandam and had great views at an angle from the cabin. Straight ahead was a bulkhead.

I booked the same cabin this time.

Hey cruisers,

I did a study when I was on the Zaandam on which cabins had views and which had views at an angle....and those that had absolutely no view, on Lower Promenade deck.

The numbering is slightly different on the Amsterdam , but the cutouts in the bulkhead are identical between the two ships.

I should be able to study both ships and let you know the best cabins.

I had the handicap HH at the back on the Zaandam and had great views at an angle from the cabin. Straight ahead was a bulkhead.

I booked the same cabin this time.

Ok...here are the very best HH with views to the side....

3312, 3313, 3314, 3315, 3419, 3420, 3422, 3423.

I STRONGLY suggest you book them now directly through HAL. It only takes a phone call to switch to any TA later when you get your pricing.

I hope you get one!

P.S. If anyone needs a handicap cabin let me know and I can give you advice on that.

very best HH with views to the side . . .

Thanks Sean. I've been playing on the online sites, it was surprising (to me, I'm new to this cruise lark) that once you picked a category etc the choice of actual units offered was rather slim, maybe only half a dozen or so. It's also a bit confusing how many categories there are for what is collectively described as simply "outside", "inside" etc.

But, thanks to everyone, I'm learning !

(maybe more than I ever wanted to know . .:confused: )

very best HH with views to the side . . .

Thanks Sean. I've been playing on the online sites, it was surprising (to me, I'm new to this cruise lark) that once you picked a category etc the choice of actual units offered was rather slim, maybe only half a dozen or so. It's also a bit confusing how many categories there are for what is collectively described as simply "outside", "inside" etc.

But, thanks to everyone, I'm learning !

(maybe more than I ever wanted to know . .:confused: )

I should also add that Category E cabins, midship ,bottom deck are generally priced the same by TA's as HH. They have regular windows and are not obstructed, of course. (HAL charges more, but you will be switching to a TA who will charge the same for an E as an HH, at least they are at this time)

If we didn't need a handicap cabin, I would choose the cabins I mentioned. They really do have great views. And any obstruction is across the promenade so they really don't block much at all.

If they aren't open I would definitely pick an HH guarantee. In all the times I did that , I have been upgraded to an outside with no obstructions.

Well, deck six is verandah, so counting down from there puts deck three one level below the lifeboats, leaving decks two and one's portholes/windows on the side of the hull itself.

That is correct.

The deck with nothing but portholes is not a passenger deck.

I was just wondering! There have already been 6531 views on this thread and 358 responses. Does this mean that, even though the cruise is a full year away, we should be a little concerned about getting the cabin we want even though what we want is just a regular outside cabin on the main deck? I'm not really a panic person but this is a very special cruise and we must have an outside. Any thoughts?:confused:

I was just wondering! There have already been 6531 views on this thread and 358 responses. Does this mean that, even though the cruise is a full year away, we should be a little concerned about getting the cabin we want even though what we want is just a regular outside cabin on the main deck? I'm not really a panic person but this is a very special cruise and we must have an outside. Any thoughts?:confused:

I'm not concerned.....I have been watching the same open cabins for weeks and the price is still the same.

The ship is still wide open and if everyone had started booking on their own it may have driven up prices and limit what categories the cruise line is willing block for us.

I'm sorry that this is slow process but there are a lot of group requests and the wait can be long.

I hope everyone can be patient just a little longer. :)

I'm not concerned.....I have been watching the same open cabins for weeks and the price is still the same.

The ship is still wide open and if everyone had started booking on their own it may have driven up prices and limit what categories the cruise line is willing block for us.

I'm sorry that this is slow process but there are a lot of group requests and the wait can be long.

I hope everyone can be patient just a little longer. :)

I agree Linda. If a lot of people start booking on their own we might not get the best deal so we definitely will wait for the group rate.:)

I would not panic either. There are many available cabins. The amount of views has very little to do with how many people actually book. I have started very specific type threads with questions that could only apply to few people. I got tons of views, but only a couple of responses. Honestly, there are people who read EVERYTHING.:) Now if this was a Roll Call thread that would be a different because posting there would indicate DEFINITE interest.

Also, On my 30+ cruises, I have almost never talked to anyone that even knew what Cruise Critic is. And when I explained what it is, I got the feeling they wouldn't be checking it out in the future

I would also not be concerned with people booking now. The number of people who have expessed interest is not really that big in proportion to the number of cabins. So I don't believe it will push up prices. Actually, the only pressure I see is ,because of the high price combined with a great itinerary, there is more presuure on outside supply. But on the plus side, it may drive balcony prices down.....or result in upgrades to balconies because people may not want to book them at the high prices.

Snook....if you are not picky about a cabin as long as it is an outside, you have nothing to lose waiting.

But for others that want to save money and still get the good view HH, I wouldn't wait and book direct with HAL and then switch to the group, or another TA depending on the best deal. There are too few of the good HH and they are almost always a bargain no matter the demand for a cruise.

Also, if you need a handicap cabin, definitely book now!

Linda,

I am not that familiar with group bookings and your above post has me asking.....Do they grab blocks of cabins in many categories, or do they take one or two to represent outsides and one or two categories of balconies?

Linda,

I am not that familiar with group bookings and your above post has me asking.....Do they grab blocks of cabins in many categories, or do they take one or two to represent outsides and one or two categories of balconies?

There is no way to know what they will let us have for the group. Different cruise lines offer different things based on availability. If the HH's are in short supply they may not offer upfront but the TA can certainly request that some get added - if that is what people want to book. The TA really has to work the best options - what can I have for my group?

I have only done one CC group on Royal Caribbean and at that time we had multiple categories of insides, outsides and balconies for booking. However, the ship was bigger and there were lots of staterooms in each category. This ship is smaller so we'll have to see what we get. Also, since there are no standard balcony cabins on this ship that should increase the offerings for inside and outside categories.

Stay tuned!

...... Also, since there are no standard balcony cabins on this ship that should increase the offerings for inside and outside categories.

Stay tuned!

Hi Linda,

What do you mean "no standard balconies" ? Wouldn't that be the A and B category '" Verandah Suites"?

...... Also, since there are no standard balcony cabins on this ship that should increase the offerings for inside and outside categories.

Stay tuned!

Hi Linda,

What do you mean "no standard balconies" ? Wouldn't that be the A and B category '" Verandah Suites"?

The key word here is "suite". No standard balcony cabins. Hence, the big jump up in price :eek: Now on the Oosterdam we had a nice balcony cabin for $899 :)

For example on Princess and Royal Carribean there are many categories of standard balconies before you get to the mini-suites and junior suites. I can always sail in a balcony for very little more than the outsides cabins :)

Hi Linda,

The key word here is "suite". No standard balcony cabins. Hence, the big jump up in price :eek: Now on the Oosterdam we had a nice balcony cabin for $899 :)

For example on Princess and Royal Carribean there are many categories of standard balconies before you get to the mini-suites and junior suites. I can always sail in a balcony for very little more than the outsides cabins :)

Ah, I see. The "standard" Balcony suite on the Amsterdam is 40 sq. ft. bigger than the standard balcony cabin on the Oosterdam. I think the premium price is derived from the fact there just aren't nealy as many balconies on this class as on ships such as the Oosterdam.

Hi Linda,

The key word here is "suite". :)

Ah, I'd missed that too !

I notice Royal Princess has a 14 day Alaska itinerary for next summer too tho' their prices are higher than HAL.

Ah, I'd missed that too !

I notice Royal Princess has a 14 day Alaska itinerary for next summer too tho' their prices are higher than HAL.

I saw that too and the price is high! Same dynamic going on there too with the older ship and less cabins.

Our itinerary is much better too :D Plus the Amsterdam is a nicer ship!

I saw that too and the price is high! Same dynamic going on there too with the older ship and less cabins.

Our itinerary is much better too :D Plus the Amsterdam is a nicer ship!

I also looked at that too! But I am sold on sailing into Cook inlet and stopping at Homer on the Amsterdam.

I have never been on the ship that Princess is using for that? Isn't it a nice ship?

Ah, I see. The "standard" Balcony suite on the Amsterdam is 40 sq. ft. bigger than the standard balcony cabin on the Oosterdam. I think the premium price is derived from the fact there just aren't nealy as many balconies on this class as on ships such as the Oosterdam.

That's right. Standard balcony cabins don't have that extra seating space or that extended area past the beds. They are in the standard 180 sq foot range - and the balcony starts a few feet beyond the beds. Enough room for Margie and I on past cruises though :D

I must say our mini suite on the Island Princess was nice and looks to be similar to the verandah suites on the Amsterdam (but at much lower price).

I also looked at that too! But I am sold on sailing into Cook inlet and stopping at Homer on the Amsterdam.

I have never been on the ship that Princess is using for that? Isn't it a nice ship?

I think all ships are nice so I'm the wrong person to ask. The Amsterdam gets better ratings and reviews though :)

The best ship is the one I'm sailing on, that's for sure! Someone on CC.com has the tagline that I love -- I think it goes something like "a bad day at sea beats a good day on land anytime!"

The best ship is the one I'm sailing on, that's for sure! Someone on CC.com has the tagline that I love -- I think it goes something like "a bad day at sea beats a good day on land anytime!"

I like that! And how true :D

Archived