~Cruise Critic Group Cruise To Alaska ~ Amsterdam May 2010~

LEtue

OK folks. Here's my opinion. Take or leave it!! I went on another board and checked to see if there was another world out there besides HAL. Another proposed CC group had applied, asked, petitioned, whatever, for a CC group. Their cruise date was May 15 or 16th, 2010. They received their official go ahead from Cruise Critic on the 15th or 16th of May, this year, almost exactly one year before the sail date. Do you think that means we should hear something on the 30th or maybe June 1st??:)

Frankly, I don't even know where to get quotes. My very first cruise someone on this board or one other which shall not be named sent me a lot of info on his Alaska cruise. He advised me in an email to book with a big outfit even though I had already booked with the cruise line. I inquired and didn't save any money, but was moved up three floors and into adjoining cabins in the middle. The next time I went with a TA who had sent a flyer about HAL, but the following year he was unable to get his contract prices from HAL soon enough to suit me, so I went with a center I was able to figure out from these posts. They gave us the same deal we had gotten the year before from LAS/FLA guy, and we continued with them until they went out of business. HAL honored their prices, and I think our 09 cruise we booked directly on board with HAL. I guess I could give the first two a call.

OK folks. Here's my opinion. Take or leave it!! I went on another board and checked to see if there was another world out there besides HAL. Another proposed CC group had applied, asked, petitioned, whatever, for a CC group. Their cruise date was May 15 or 16th, 2010. They received their official go ahead from Cruise Critic on the 15th or 16th of May, this year, almost exactly one year before the sail date. Do you think that means we should hear something on the 30th or maybe June 1st??:)

Snook,

It would be interesting for me to see how their group rates compared to rates from other agents. If you don't want to mention that "other world" here, can you e-mail it to me?:)

Frankly, I don't even know where to get quotes. My very first cruise someone on this board or one other which shall not be named sent me a lot of info on his Alaska cruise. He advised me in an email to book with a big outfit even though I had already booked with the cruise line. I inquired and didn't save any money, but was moved up three floors and into adjoining cabins in the middle. The next time I went with a TA who had sent a flyer about HAL, but the following year he was unable to get his contract prices from HAL soon enough to suit me, so I went with a center I was able to figure out from these posts. They gave us the same deal we had gotten the year before from LAS/FLA guy, and we continued with them until they went out of business. HAL honored their prices, and I think our 09 cruise we booked directly on board with HAL. I guess I could give the first two a call.

Have you ever tried one of those sites where many agents can bid on your chosen sail dates? I found them really helpful to find what pricing is like.:)

Well ok it is 6:30pm central time here so I guess another weekend without a quote...I'm getting to be borderline obsessive with checking this thread and my email for any news everyday. My DH is going out of town next week. That's probably when the news will come in and then I'll have to wait for him to get back to discuss our plans. Ack!! :)

Wow, it seems a lot of you got very restless today. I did not get an email response from Laura so we are still in wait mode for the weekend.....

However, my new granddaughter arrived today - a few days early. She was born at 3:16 pm and weighed 7 lbs. 12 oz. :D So it is happy day!

Ooops, I almost forgot!

I was looking at a map of Alaska last night and noticed that Kodiak is part of the Aleutian Islands. Since there has been some discussions about the words awesome and amazing in the group name, I'm wondering about....

Aleutian Islands Adventurers

What do you think? Any better?

Wow, it seems a lot of you got very restless today. I did not get an email response from Laura so we are still in wait mode for the weekend.....

However, my new granddaughter arrived today - a few days early. She was born at 3:16 pm and weighed 7 lbs. 12 oz. :D So it is happy day!

That is happy news! Much better than pricing on a cruise!

Congrats!

Linda,congratulations on another grandchidl!!! How exciting, and I can assume mother and child are doing well? And I hope dad is faring well also! I expect we should get pix soon????

For all of those who are impatient about getting the quote, I completely understand. However, I have to admit I usually never book early so I can't complain! I figure I'm gonna get on that ship one way or the other! I'm sure our group price will be competitive and I think we'll be very happy that we had patience. But I wish they would hurry up!

Congratulations! Grandgirls are a special blessing.

May she know nothing but love all her life.

That is happy news! Much better than pricing on a cruise!

Congrats!

Thanks Sean, it really is a great day :D

Linda,congratulations on another grandchidl!!! How exciting, and I can assume mother and child are doing well? And I hope dad is faring well also! I expect we should get pix soon????

For all of those who are impatient about getting the quote, I completely understand. However, I have to admit I usually never book early so I can't complain! I figure I'm gonna get on that ship one way or the other! I'm sure our group price will be competitive and I think we'll be very happy that we had patience. But I wish they would hurry up!

Mother and child are doing very well but it was a long day for both her and hubby.

Thanks for the encouragement Margie. Yes, we're going to be on this ship when it sails ;)

Congratulations! Grandgirls are a special blessing.

May she know nothing but love all her life.

Thanks Ruth, it sounds like you have some life experiences with granddaughters :D

Sean, I compared HAL's insurance offerings to some quotes via insuremytrip.com and they compared well, in fact HAL's were a tad cheaper too.

Thats good to know when it comes to this cruise, but first I have to buy insurance for my Princess cruise in August. :)

Linda, what great news! My whole family is female-less—I am really jealous! And I just found out my niece is expecting... a boy.

Since I stupidly did not buy the HAL $100 deal on the last trip, I may have to wait till September to book anyway.

I usually end up with TravelGuard, since I am usually seeking medical especially, but I do check with insuremytrip.com. No pre-existing exclusions is important for me. And since TravelGuard has been bought out by AIG...

Linda, what great news! My whole family is female-less—I am really jealous! And I just found out my niece is expecting... a boy.

Since I stupidly did not buy the HAL $100 deal on the last trip, I may have to wait till September to book anyway.

I usually end up with TravelGuard, since I am usually seeking medical especially, but I do check with insuremytrip.com. No pre-existing exclusions is important for me. And since TravelGuard has been bought out by AIG...

I do occasionally see $100 per person deposit deals through some TA's. So they aren't unheard of while not on a cruise.

But there's also the OBC--really more important than the low deposit (I think).

I did do some online searches for prices, including my 2nd LV/FLA guy. Not much of a price break, except for OBC & Pinnacle. (about $200's worth per cabin).

But there's also the OBC--really more important than the low deposit (I think).

I did do some online searches for prices, including my 2nd LV/FLA guy. Not much of a price break, except for OBC & Pinnacle. (about $200's worth per cabin).

I seem to recall OBC with those too. I like to be on the e-mail lists of many TA's so I can see any specials when they come up.

I am seeing price difference of $200 from HAL on an HH.

Hey the cabin by number thing is working again! As a matter of fact, I typed in one of the good HH cabins (3422) and it is available. Glad to see that feature back. Maybe this cruise was so new they didn't have everything running properly for it. it is now.

Well, my son married a girl with a daughter and son, they have added one more daughter. My daughter had a son and now added a daughter. So in the last 2 years I have gone from zero grandchildren to 5! Three granddaughters and 2 grandsons - just like that :eek:

Hi Linda,

Just want to also add my congrats on the birth of your granddaughter. Such wonderful news!!! Best wishes and hugs to you and your family.

Donna

Thanks Donna! I can't wait to go see her in a few weeks :D

I do occasionally see $100 per person deposit deals through some TA's. So they aren't unheard of while not on a cruise.

Well, that is great news! I know that Princess does a lot of $100 reduced deposit sales but I never knew that about HAL. Let's hope we get the reduced deposit and lots of OBC. :D

Well, that is great news! I know that Princess does a lot of $100 reduced deposit sales but I never knew that about HAL. Let's hope we get the reduced deposit and lots of OBC. :D

I sarted to see those here and there after Carnival purchased Princess.

As we speak there is a sale that some TA's are offering for a 50% reduction in deposit until May 31st. Not as good as $100 deposit, but still a little easier to make.

So is the normal deposit amount $300 pp? That is what I've seen so far. I saw that HAL and some TA's have been offering 1/2 deposit sales but it never looked like it applied to the 2010 sailings......

Archived