Mexico/swine flu discussions (merged)

coxswain

I don't how likely cutting a port is, but I leave on LIBERTY OF THE SEAS this Saturday and I would be quite happy to cut Cozumel and have another sea day. I'm not a big fan of Cozumel anyway.

Ernie

You could always just stay on the ship. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear they removed them. They are useless. People should wash their hands with soap and hot water.

Never said people shouldn't use soap and hot water. We do that to.

I feel the hand sanitizers might just catch the germs of those who don't.

I just love the news...where else can we hear about outbreaks that are only a few folks...or the one that always gets me...when the news tells us that firefighters wear oxygen bottles into the burning buildings...:eek: High pressure air packs yes, O2 bottle not a chance in...

I like what one doctor has said, in the US to date it has been a milder disease and nobody has died nor is anyone as of this morning close to death due to the pig flu here in the USA.

I agree with the prior posts that in the USA our healthcare is universally better than that in Mexico, and that poverty contributes to a higher death rate. That is true with so many other diseases as well.

Firefighters wear air tanks....not oxygen tanks.....

People are just as mobile in Mexico as they are here.

Someone could work in Mexico City and live elsewhere. They could contract the disease and spread it to their area.

This has the potential to be a pandemic. And yes..if one pax has it on a cruise ship, it could spread very quickly. I doubt the medical staff onboard would be prepared to handle hundreds of cases.

They are useless.

Sorry, but that's not correct. From the CDC, in an article regarding this very outbreak:

"...clean your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer."

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/guidance_homecare.htm

Here's more:

What can I do to protect myself from getting sick?

There is no vaccine available right now to protect against swine flu. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses like influenza. Take these everyday steps to protect your health:

• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
  • Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
  • If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them. What is the best way to keep from spreading the virus through coughing or sneezing?

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm

Other than the medical care in Mexico it depends on how people in Mexico contracted it in the first place.

Consipracy theorists may say that they were deliberately infected and may have gotten a good dose of the virus to make certain it "took". People they have passed it on to have gotten a "regular" dose of the stuff.

Who knows. But they had better figure it out and soon. All eyes are watching how this is handled. Including eyes that make think this is a wonderful way of getting rid of lots of people in the US without having to fire a shot:eek:.

And this thread is at a Royal Caribbean Cruise board why.....??:rolleyes:

Um because RCI sails from a port near NYC.

Because RCI cruises to Mexico.

Because Mexican citizens may cruise on RCI.

Because we all know that anyone who feels ill will almost always never board and chance giving whatever they have to other pax.:rolleyes:

You're welcome. How would anyone here possible know the answer?

I was hoping that a few of our well traveled members might have insight pertaining to how cruise lines handle events like this.

Health care facilities like ours switched out of & move away from using alcohol-based (i.e. Purell brand) hand sanitizers in the past 2 years as it is toxic and pose a fire hazard especially when oxygen is in the immediate area (ER, ICU,) and there are dispensers inside every patient room inside hospitals and in outside hallways, nursing stations & procedures (treatment) rooms and (blood) drawing stations. Joint Commission (JCAHO) guidelines & standards for 2009, as well as health department protocol prompted us to use, instead, water-based hand sanitizers (i.e. Hand 2 Go is one brand, available in retail sizing in places like Babies "R" Us) as an alternative when running water & soap for a proper sequence of frequent hand wash is NOT available.

On NCL ships, hand sanitizers are aways available in public area, especially where food is served and at the gangways.

Personally, I carry & use them no matter where I go and it's inside my backpack or briefcase, waistpack when I travel, and in my van/SUV, with extras in the "go" kit that I rotate out.

The basic logic

Thankfully events like this flu outbreak in Mexico and other countries happen very seldom. so it would be just as unlikely that even a well-travelled cruiser would have enough experience to answer your question. And even if one could and did, one occasion should not be taken as any indication of what the cruise line would do in the future. So -- you get waste of time answers to what I would consider a waste of time ?:)

Wow, there is SO much worrying on these boards, I can't believe it!!!! If I was going on a cruise to Mexico this weekend, I would NOT be worried about cathing this flu. I've never come home from a cruise and gotten so much as a cold. I'm sure there have been many more passengers carrying around the cold virus than there will be carrying around this crazy flu virus that hasn't even been found in Cancun.

It doesn't seem like anyone's concerned about getting on a flight with someone who may have JUST been in Mexico...I could have just flown in from Mexico City yesterday and could be sitting next to you on your flight to Florida, but you'll be more worried about the other 4,000 pax on the ship with you simply because of all of this panicking going on, and a lot of it is from reading these boards.

Go cruise and have a great time!!! The millions of us who can't cruise right now are completely jealous of you!

Wow, there is SO much worrying on these boards, I can't believe it!!!! If I was going on a cruise to Mexico this weekend, I would NOT be worried about cathing this flu. I've never come home from a cruise and gotten so much as a cold. I'm sure there have been many more passengers carrying around the cold virus than there will be carrying around this crazy flu virus that hasn't even been found in Cancun.

It doesn't seem like anyone's concerned about getting on a flight with someone who may have JUST been in Mexico...I could have just flown in from Mexico City yesterday and could be sitting next to you on your flight to Florida, but you'll be more worried about the other 4,000 pax on the ship with you simply because of all of this panicking going on, and a lot of it is from reading these boards.

Go cruise and have a great time!!! The millions of us who can't cruise right now are completely jealous of you!

Beautifully put!!! Thanks for the level headed approach

Beautifully put!!! Thanks for the level headed approach

Thanks, TBS, I appreciate your taking the time to say that, because I would imagine there will be people out there who feel completely opposite and will call me an idiot, flame me, etc. There's just TOO MUCH worrying going on right now. The more people read about something, the more they worry about it, without realizing how "in danger" we are on a day to day basis of catching SO many viruses and infections. In 42 years I've never wiped down the cart in the supermarket, I follow the 5-second rule and I'll admit to washing my hands less than I should, haha.

I also get a cold once maybe every four years and when I do get a cold, it's gone within 3-5 days. My immune system is working overtime!! :)

To everyone else, don't flame me. I realize to each his own and it's hard to change someone's minds. I'm just trying to convince you to stop worrying, the chances of catching ANY virus, much less this crazy bird/swine/human one, is pretty small.

And like others have said on the COUNTLESS threads on this topic, have a shot of tequila or vodka or something. That'll kill the bug. And remember us losers who probably won't even be cruising within the next year and have to live with germs on a day to day basis.

:)

I'm not as worried about getting this flu as I am curious how the cruise line(s) will handle the threat of this flu. Two different issues IMO.

I hope it's all a tempest in a teacup, but I'm not any where near smart enough to know if it is or isn't especially this early. And I'm no where near smart enough to know what the right course of action is for the governments involved.

Thanks, TBS, I appreciate your taking the time to say that, because I would imagine there will be people out there who feel completely opposite and will call me an idiot, flame me, etc. There's just TOO MUCH worrying going on right now. The more people read about something, the more they worry about it, without realizing how "in danger" we are on a day to day basis of catching SO many viruses and infections. In 42 years I've never wiped down the cart in the supermarket, I follow the 5-second rule and I'll admit to washing my hands less than I should, haha.

I also get a cold once maybe every four years and when I do get a cold, it's gone within 3-5 days. My immune system is working overtime!! :)

To everyone else, don't flame me. I realize to each his own and it's hard to change someone's minds. I'm just trying to convince you to stop worrying, the chances of catching ANY virus, much less this crazy bird/swine/human one, is pretty small.

And like others have said on the COUNTLESS threads on this topic, have a shot of tequila or vodka or something. That'll kill the bug. And remember us losers who probably won't even be cruising within the next year and have to live with germs on a day to day basis.

:)

Funny you should say the above, my house is clean but not sterile and my kids are never sick. My sister-in-law on the other hand is a clean freak and her kids are ALWAYS sick, go figure.:rolleyes:

Funny you should say the above, my house is clean but not sterile and my kids are never sick. My sister-in-law on the other hand is a clean freak and her kids are ALWAYS sick, go figure.:rolleyes:

Go figure indeed!

I'm now off to the backyard to snack on some dirt...

Archived