Mexico/swine flu discussions (merged)

coxswain

UK media now report NY health officials say 8 of 9 samples test postived for Swine Flu !!

Schools are closed in 1 school district in South Texas, adjacent to the Mexican Border.

jj........

Schools are closed in 1 school district in South Texas, adjacent to the Mexican Border.

I remember getting a swine flu vaccine back in the 70's. Is it still affective? Just curious.

As a healthcare worker (but not an expert by all means), as best as I know, this is a new strain. This is Swine/Bovine flu and has not been seen before (other than in pigs). It could create some seriously bad outcomes before all is said and done. I'm sure our hospital is already preparing for this as it seems to be spreading pretty rampantly.

remember: hand washing is one of the most effective ways to prevent illness!!

:)

Proper hand wash sequence is the best defense to protect/minimize the odds of being "infected" - soap, rinse with running water & wipe dry, etc. and use hand sanitizer IF soad & water are not available.

We got posts popping up all over the places on this board, including the Ports of Call for Mexico section - (already posted the *.pdf NYC alert there)

Here's (see below) the latest NYC DOH Alert emailed out this evening to subscribers - I can just see already partial if not full scale "H/ICS" activation that many of us are familiar with our F.E.M.A. training - oh well, being EP first responder meant that we do have to be ready if the "call" to activate do come.

To log into the HAN, for this alert and many related documents, go to http://www.nyc.gov/health/nycmed

If you have any questions or problems, call 1-888-NYCMED9 or write to nycmed@health.nyc.gov

2009 New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

(NYC DOHMH) Health Alert #11: Swine Influenza Update

Please distribute to staff in the Departments of Critical Care, Emergency Medicine, Family Practice, Geriatrics, Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease, Infection Control, Pediatrics, Neonatal Units, Nurseries, Pulmonary Medicine and Laboratory Medicine

April 25 , 2009

PLEASE NOTE: This is a rapidly evolving situation. This alert provides interim guidance. Guidance is likely to change in the upcoming days and weeks as more information becomes available.

• Swine influenza is suspected as the cause of a large outbreak of influenza A at St. Francis Preparatory High School in Queens. Specimens obtained from students at the school have been confirmed as influenza A, and are unsubtypeable as either H1 or H3 at the NYC Public Health Laboratory. This meets the case definition for probable swine influenza (see CDC case definitions below).

o To date, all illnesses appear to have been mild and no cases have been hospitalized.

o Samples are being sent to CDC tonight to determine if this outbreak is due to swine influenza. Results will be available tomorrow (Sunday).

o At this time, we are recommending antiviral treatment with oseltamivir or zanamavir as follows for persons associated with the school:

 Severe influenza-like illness (ILI) or other severe febrile respiratory illness in a student, teacher, staff, or in any close contacts (e.g., household) of someone who attends or works at the school.

 For patients with mild illness, treatment is only recommended for people who also have underlying conditions that increase the risk for more severe illness due to influenza (listed below). Mild illness should be treated only if treatment can be started within 48 hours of symptom onset.

o At this time, prophylaxis is only being recommended for the following contacts of ill persons associated with the school:

 Healthcare workers who provided care to ill patients, and who either were not using or had a breach in appropriate personal protection when caring for patients or obtaining specimens

 Asymptomatic household and other close contacts of ill persons who are at higher risk for complications of influenza (listed below).

• Reporting and management of other NY C hospitalized patients with severe, unexplained febrile, respiratory illness:

o Immediately report all patients with severe, unexplained febrile respiratory illness to the Provider Access Line at 1-917-438-9766.

o Test patients with severe febrile respiratory illness for influenza A using a commercially available rapid test, PCR or immunofluorescence test (e.g., DFA or IFA).

o Personal protective measures should be taken by medical personnel caring for or obtaining specimens from patients being tested for influenza or who have suspected, probable or confirmed swine influenza. See http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/guidelines_infection_control.htm.

o If hospitals are not able to conduct initial rapid influenza testing, please contact the DOHMH to arrange for testing for influenza A.

• Management of patients with mild influenza-like illness

o Patients with mild illness should be encouraged to stay home until 24-48 hours after resolution of symptoms.

 Pat ients should be instructed to wash their hands frequently, cough into a tissue or sleeve (not into bare hands or onto another person), dispose of tissues in the trash, and stay home from school or work until 24-48 hours after illness is resolved.

o At this time, we are not recommending routine influenza testing and/or antiviral treatment for persons with mild influenza-like illness, unless they meet the usual criteria for empiric influenza treatment based on underlying illnesses that put them at higher risk for complications of any type of influenza.

• According to the CDC, vaccination for seasonal influenza is unlikely to be effective for prevention of swine influenza.

• Additional information on the outbreaks in the US and Mexico, including NYC, as well as further clinical guidance will be provided as it becomes available. For updated information on the national situation, see http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/general_info.htm.

In view of the current flu problem, including deaths, ravaging Mexico; has any one obtained info on how the cruise lines that stop there are dealing with the problem?

They announced on the news this evening that the CDC is going to be meeting in the next few days and they will decide how this is going to be handled. So, I would say wait and watch! ;)

remember: hand washing is one of the most effective ways to prevent illness!!

:)

That and if you feel sick don't go out to mingle in crowds etc... Part of the problem we face is that folks don't want to stay home when sick so often...they still go to work etc...and that tends to help spread illness.

I bet pretty soon we see screening before folks get on flights and those acting sick like they may have the fly are denied boarding.

It's a sad situation. I am glad my office is upstairs so I don't get mixed up with sick folks too much. So long as it doesn't spread to cattle and I don't get exposed to the avian or pig flu...

In view of the current flu problem, including deaths, ravaging Mexico; has any one obtained info on how the cruise lines that stop there are dealing with the problem?

60 deaths out 25 millions plus inhabitants in Mexico City, that is 0.0003%. I would say that is a very small percentage to call it RAVAGING.

We are booked on the Enchantment on May 11th-16th. The ports are Key West, Cozumel and Belize City. If the CDC recommends no travel to Mexico, do you think we'd end up with a day at sea or an alternate port?

Hopefully it won't come to this, but unfortunately it would be just my luck.

Im sorry but I dont think that I would be worrying about possibly spending another day at sea, I would be worrying about am I going to a place where this flu is evident.

The UN are already indicating that there is a strong likelihood that this is going to be pandemic, there are reported cases in the states already its not going to take much more to leap across the pond.

Try approaching it from another direction, like 'I wonder which other port we might get instead of Cozumel' I think that would be more exciting - then you can start dreaming of all those other places you'd like to see

Try approaching it from another direction, like 'I wonder which other port we might get instead of Cozumel' I think that would be more exciting - then you can start dreaming of all those other places you'd like to see

My original question was: "do you think we'd end up with a day at sea or an alternate port?". To be honest, I don't care if we end up with a day at sea or another port - I've been to Cozumel plenty of times before and have no strong desire to go there if there's a possibility of getting ill. Perhaps I didn't make my question clear enough...so let me rephrase.

Which is more likely in a case like this - would they give us an additional day at sea or would they reroute us to a different port/itinerary?

My original question was: "do you think we'd end up with a day at sea or an alternate port?". To be honest, I don't care if we end up with a day at sea or another port - I've been to Cozumel plenty of times before and have no strong desire to go there if there's a possibility of getting ill. Perhaps I didn't make my question clear enough...so let me rephrase.

Which is more likely in a case like this - would they give us an additional day at sea or would they reroute us to a different port/itinerary?

If all ships have to stop going to Mexican ports that closes several ports in a small area. I think you said one port is Belize, your ship could easily make Roatan as an alternative port and likely the cost of that port is not far off from what it costs to put in at Cozumel (I don't know for sure, but know Roatan is not excessively expensive for the ship) so the economics of the decision would not be too bad. That said with all the ships that would have to find new ports it is possible some would not have new ports and would be at sea. Be glad a lot of ships headed to Europe so it is not as bad as it would have been a couple months ago when even more ships would be seeking ports.

Cayman would be a nice alternative, but I bet Cayman is a more expensive port so it may not be a quick go for it decision on the part of the cruise lines.

Enjoy the cruise regardless...sounds like Cozumel is not a big deal to you, so hopefully wherever you end up if Cozumel is cxld it is someplace exciting for you.

UK hospital confirms BA crew member doesn't have the Flu.

Death toll in Mexico up to 81

H1N1 is the same strain that causes seasonal flu outbreaks in humans, but the newly detected version contains genetic material from versions which usually affect pigs and birds.

Twenty-two students and three teachers in New Zealand, some suffering flu-like symptoms, have been quarantined and tested for swine flu after returning from a trip to Mexico

jj......

The media is having a "hay day" with this......nothing new though !

Cruiselines I am sure are monitoring this very closely and will be following what CDC suggestions are related to this topic and will take appropriate action IF NEEDED.

The news media sensationalizing a story isn't new, but this particular combination strain of swine flu is. It's interesting to me that the CDC is concerned with the fact that it seems to hit young healthy people harder than children and the elderly. Apparently the 1918 flu pandemic was similar in that regard.

I hate to see/read/hear about people panicking. We need to see what happens, how the Mexican health authorities handle it, and whether the CDC declares it a true epidemic/pandemic threat before we do anything rash. OTOH, my DH and I aren't planning on traveling to Mexico any time soon, and we are paying close attention to CDC announcements because we live on CA's central coast. If it makes its way up here quickly, we will be prepared to do what we can to avoid it, including staying home except for all but critical errands. We already do the recommended things to avoid illness (hand washing, staying away from people who are coughing or sneezing--even leaving a store and coming back if necessary, eating lots of fruits and veggies, etc.) all the time, so that's nothing new for us. We are concerned, but are not spending our days and nights fretting about it constantly.

beachchick

60 deaths out 25 millions plus inhabitants in Mexico City, that is 0.0003%. I would say that is a very small percentage to call it RAVAGING.

Typically this flu was only seen in people who worked with swine. The big worry now is that the mode of transmission has changed from human to human. Remember that there is NO cure or immunization for this particular virus and it seems to be a very virulent form. The CDC is VERY concerned about this strain and says it has the poetential to be come pandemic. So I hope you don't live in or near border states as if may come to visit you city sooner rather than later.

Nancy

The CDC has also said that conventional treatments (i.e. Tamiflu) has proven very effective against this strain. Yes, it is highly contagious. And, yes, it can kill. But, so can influenza. Biggest tip: wash your hands frequently. And, stay away from those who seem to be coughing a lot.

Archived