Mexico/swine flu discussions (merged)

coxswain

As of today the CDC has confirmed more total cases in NY, PA, Texas, and California than have been confirmed in Mexico. (But more deaths in Mexico so far).

Perhaps the Mexican government should stop the gringos from going to Mexico and spreading it further.

That and if you feel sick don't go out to mingle in crowds etc... Part of the problem we face is that folks don't want to stay home when sick so often...they still go to work etc...and that tends to help spread illness.

I bet pretty soon we see screening before folks get on flights and those acting sick like they may have the fly are denied boarding.

It's a sad situation. I am glad my office is upstairs so I don't get mixed up with sick folks too much. So long as it doesn't spread to cattle and I don't get exposed to the avian or pig flu...

This is what makes it so hard on some, especially in this economy (highlighted in red). I really hope over the next few days they are able to contain this, cause you are 100% correct, people don't like to stay home when they are ill, or, they feel a little better and think some fresh air will do them some good, which in fact it might, but they need to think of the possible ramifications of doing that.

Does anyone know if any ports of call have been cancelled/re-routed as a result for ships that were out this week (or possibly a published re-routing of upcoming stops in the next few weeks?)

Since there are cases in California sould we cancel cruises out of the Ports in San Diego, LA and San Fran as welll. Seems there are cases in many other states too so maybe we should cancel cruises out of the United States......

I'm thinking about the impact on Mexico's economy if travel is banned...yikes! Cruise ports rely so heavily on the ships stopping. I can't see a ban.....it's in New Zealand now. I would think the airlines would have to stop flying, close borders, that kind of thing. Wash hands and use common sense.

We are booked on the Freedom in June for the E. Caribbean. Unless RCCL tells me not to come, I'm very much still going. I could just as easily get it here at home. We have a heavy immigrant population here in St. Louis.....quite a few are illegals from Mexico. They come in the summer and are hired by lawn care companies. The scenario could be this...one Mexican worker just arrived in St. Louis caring the flu.....he touched the gas pump to fill the mowers before a days work....I come along just after he pulls out of the gas station and touch the same pump to fill my car......I get in, touch the steering wheel, gear shift....hand my daughter a handful of cheez-its. Bingo....our whole family has it, as well as all of the people I have come into contact with.

Maybe I'm being foolish, but I can't live in fear...if I did, then I would never leave the house.

I logged on today wondering about the Swine flu and saw someone had the same question concerning a cancelled port being sea day vs different port.

So my other question is does anyone know or heard why the people who got it in Mexico died and the people in the US are not? I wonder what the fatality rate is for this flu? Is it just a flu with regular flu type symptoms and what makes it fatal vs inconvenient.

Since there are cases in California sould we cancel cruises out of the Ports in San Diego, LA and San Fran as welll. Seems there are cases in many other states too so maybe we should cancel cruises out of the United States......

And, certainly, no cruises to Kansas........:D

And' date=' certainly, no cruises to Kansas........:D[/quote']

ARGH! Just found out that swine flu is only miles away from us. The husband was in Mexico and returned infected, and passed it along to his wife, now both have it. That's just great. Kind of glad we don't have any cruise booked (we had one booked for next month and then changed our minds and cancelled). If this stuff is as infectious as they say, I am sure there will be more cases reported around here soon. :(

Without more facts, the very first thing that popped into my mind was that in the United States we have access to better health care. I could be as simple as that.

I also would think, again no research here, that it also depends on who is catching it...very young or very old will not fair as well as other people. There would also be general health of the person before getting sick to consider.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) will decide whether to suggest a suspension of travel to Mexico if this continues to escalate. The main cruise ports in Mexico have some of the largest populations of any cities in the country. If a serious outbreak is reported in Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel, Mazatlan or Alcapulco the curtain will drop fast!

They don't know the answer to that yet.

Most of the people who have died are in the 25-45 age bracket, not the very young or very old. That's perplexing to the experts, and the only "guess" I've heard from them (on TV) is that younger people have more active immune systems, and this flu might cause their immune systems to over-react and go haywire!:confused:

Today on the news it was reported that if treatment is received within 48 hours of symptoms it isn't as serious. The widespread poverty in Mexico contributes to the spread of the virus by those who cannot get the medicine.

In view of the current flu problem, including deaths, ravaging Mexico; has any one obtained info on how the cruise lines that stop there are dealing with the problem?

"ravaging" is a bit extreme is it not? The larger issue I think is that its already been spread far and wide out of Mexico. Likely Mexico will be less efficient in containment and treatment then other countries but the bigger issue is its already in the wild with cases across the globe. Only thing now is how easy is it to spread, how quickly a person that is infected is a transmitter before they become ill and know, and of course how quickly this thing can or will mutate into something that might spread more easily or become more virulent.

My take you are about as safe in Mexico as you might be in Kansas. Of course the close proximity to 3000 people coming from all over the place is not the best of situations.

You get the flu, it simply has to run its course. I think the best explanation is that americans are far more likely to get flu shots and have some sort of immunity against it.

Now, I am not saying a total immunity, more of a "if you get it, it won't be as severe as someone who has never had a shot" got it. The flu going around is a hybrid of different flu's, so it is possible that a shot you got last year, or five years ago, might help. Health officials are not sure and they are looking into it.

Mexico rarely does flu vaccines. One article said that they are sending vaccines for health workers and they are trying to get 1 million doses of tamiflu to Mexio City. For a city of 20 million, that is a drop in the bucket.

One reason for the young being affected could be that us oldsters contracted a strain of the flu similar to what is go around a long, long time ago and have at least a partial immunity to it.

Today on the news it was reported that if treatment is received within 48 hours of symptoms it isn't as serious. The widespread poverty in Mexico contributes to the spread of the virus by those who cannot get the medicine.

I was watching CBS Sunday morning and it's been reported of an outbreak in San Diego. Of course, there wasn't an explanation as to what "outbreak" means. Let's hope it's just sensationalized news. San Diego is our favorite location to cruise from:eek:

UK media now report NY health officials say 8 of 9 samples test postived for Swine Flu !!

jj........

Just to let you know, Mayor Blumberg says they still have not decided to close NY schools, despite having 8 to 10 cases. (he just now spoke, so this is as of almost Noon, Sunday)

Posting this without a source, or a reliable source isnt helping anyone. Whatever source you read it in, now you know they are not very good. The information on closing NY schools wasnt correct you posted.

19 cases now in the U.S. confirmed.

A lot depends on who gets it. Young children and older adults are more suspitble to having it worse. There are only 19 cases in the U.S. so far as of just now FOX reports, so with only 19 cases, its not unusual none of them are fatal. Its just the flu, not a death sentence. Lots of people live and recover from the flu. This version is no worse than other strains.

I was watching CBS Sunday morning and it's been reported of an outbreak in San Diego. Of course, there wasn't an explanation as to what "outbreak" means. Let's hope it's just sensationalized news. San Diego is our favorite location to cruise from:eek:

I just love the news...where else can we hear about outbreaks that are only a few folks...or the one that always gets me...when the news tells us that firefighters wear oxygen bottles into the burning buildings...:eek: High pressure air packs yes, O2 bottle not a chance in...

I like what one doctor has said, in the US to date it has been a milder disease and nobody has died nor is anyone as of this morning close to death due to the pig flu here in the USA.

I agree with the prior posts that in the USA our healthcare is universally better than that in Mexico, and that poverty contributes to a higher death rate. That is true with so many other diseases as well.

But how do you deal with the Mexicans, or people who have just traveled through Mexico that are going to be boarding the ship? Does everyone show symptoms? Are their people that are carriers that won't get sick?

or, indeed, with all those Americans boarding, whose country is also reporting confirmed cases

Sorry i meant school !!

AP.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed that students at a city high school were infected with swine flu.

2 people being checked over in Scotland symptoms.

jj.....

My original question was: "do you think we'd end up with a day at sea or an alternate port?". To be honest, I don't care if we end up with a day at sea or another port - I've been to Cozumel plenty of times before and have no strong desire to go there if there's a possibility of getting ill. Perhaps I didn't make my question clear enough...so let me rephrase.

Which is more likely in a case like this - would they give us an additional day at sea or would they reroute us to a different port/itinerary?

I actually did read that you were not concerned with the fact that the itin might change. I read the essence of your original question as "do you think RCCL would divert?". I felt like your words were clear the way you posted.

In any case,

If swine flu becomes a real issue in Mexico you better hope that RCCL diverts! Even if you stayed on the ship the whole day while it was in port, everyone whom is getting off the ship becomes a potential carrier. You are then at risk that evening and every day after that port of call.

I, personally, don't recall this situation ever happening before. It will be interesting to see what the ships do.

They say that Tamiflu is the drug of choice for this particular strain of flu, FYI.

Good luck.

Archived