Revised Itinerary for Sapphire This Week

Host Carolyn

I think this is a complete over-reaction. There have been no reported cases of swine flu in the western coast of Mexico. The threat is extremely minimal. How many people will die in the port city of Los Angeles from murder and traffic accidents this year? I don't have the stats, but it must be in thousands. Yet, it's "perfectly safe" to go there. Look at all the people that die of lung cancer, but the ship's still allow smoking!

We're talking about swine flu. Mexico has a rising fatality rate and Calif has ZERO deaths from swine flu.

When you BOARD the ship, you agree to the cruise contract. No cliche, plain fact.

While othe parts apply, here is the main cluase:

. CARRIER’S RIGHT TO CANCEL, CHANGE TIME OF SAILING OR PORTS OF EMBARKATION/DISEMBARKATION OR SHORTEN CRUISE; SUBSTITUTION.

Carrier may, at any time, without notice or liability for refund, payment or compensation or credit except as provided herein, cancel the Cruise, change the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or disembarkation, shorten the Cruise or substitute ships, aircraft or other transportation or lodging. Passenger shall have no claim against Carrier, and Carrier shall not be liable (whether for damages or a refund, payment or compensation or credit of any kind) for hotel or meal charges, travel expenses or other loss, delay, inconvenience, disappointment or expense whatsoever in such circumstances, except as follows:

(A) If Carrier cancels the Cruise before it has started, it will refund the Cruise Fare (less any air or accommodation charges incurred).

(B) If the sailing is delayed and You are not accommodated on board the ship, Carrier may arrange accommodations and food at no additional expenses to You.

© If the scheduled port of embarkation or disembarkation as specified in the passage ticket is changed, Carrier will arrange transportation to it from the originally scheduled port.

(D) If the Cruise is terminated or ends early Carrier, at its option, may issue a cruise credit, make a proportionate refund of Your Cruise Fare, transfer You to another ship or transport You to the scheduled final port. If the performance of the Cruise is hindered or prevented by any cause or circumstance whatsoever, including but not limited to a good faith belief by the Carrier or the ship’s Captain that the Cruise or any portion thereof may endanger the vessel or expose any person or property to loss, damage or delay, the Cruise may be terminated and You may be landed with no further liability of the Carrier for refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind.

Have you bothered to read this BEFORE any of your cruises?

Hmmmmmmmm, Along with all my friends who read about taking alcohol on-board.:p If I knew there was a chance in #### I could book Mexico and end up 90 minutes from my house, I would never book. I would never think in a million years an intinerary would be completely replaced, so live and learn. I thought it would be replace in kind, so I am wrong! It will be interesting to see how other lines handle this crisis. Once again time will tell but for now it's about taking necessary precautions!

Hmmmmmmmm, Along with all my friends who read about taking alcohol on-board.:p If I knew there was a chance in #### I could book Mexico and end up 90 minutes from my house, I would never book. I would never think in a million years an intinerary would be completely replaced, so live and learn. I thought it would be replace in kind, so I am wrong!

Well, where else could they go in seven days? :confused: I've been on a cruise in the Caribbean where the itinerary was completely reversed, one island substituted for another... but in the Caribbean there are many options. There are few on the West Coast. Yes, it's a bummer and yes, Princess should offer something for the inconvenience, but the point is... they don't HAVE to according to the Passage Contract. This is a proverbial "Act of God" situation. :rolleyes:

Well, where else could they go in seven days? :confused: I've been on a cruise in the Caribbean where the itinerary was completely reversed, one island substituted for another... but in the Caribbean there are many options. There are few on the West Coast. Yes, it's a bummer and yes, Princess should offer something for the inconvenience, but the point is... they don't HAVE to according to the Passage Contract. This is a proverbial "Act of God" situation. :rolleyes:

I think that's all many are hoping for. I hope Princess will help to make it possible for others to return and enjoy the vacation booked and dreamed about. I don't know enough about Princess to know if it's the type of company that will do this. As I posted earlier, if this was my February crusie, I would have been devastated because it was 15 years in the making. I don't mean to offend anyone by expressing my sincere thought about what I hope a company will do for its customers. Maybe there can be a thread where people express their wishes, starting with this crisis be done and over with. I think only a special few on this board who don't share our hope that Princess set up regardless of PASSENGER CONTRACT.

This thread is a perfect example of what is going to be happening on every ship that has to change ports. I truly feel sorry for the staff on these ships. I wonder why anyone would expect compensation from a cruise line trying to keep them safe.

No matter what Princess decides will hurt. If they avoid the ports people will complain and want compensation. If they go to the ports people might get sick and want compensation. Changes can and do happen whether it's due to illness, weather, political uprisings and even mechanical problems.

And that is why the cruise contract states that the intinerary can be changed without notice. If you are really dead set on seeing a particular port you might think about flying to that port for a land vacation. :)

I apologize if I offended anyone but please don't blame the cruise lines.

If I knew there was a chance in #### I could book Mexico and end up 90 minutes from my house, I would never book. I would never think in a million years an intinerary would be completely replaced, so live and learn. I thought it would be replace in kind, so I am wrong! It will be interesting to see how other lines handle this crisis. Once again time will tell but for now it's about taking necessary precautions!
Itinerary changes are ALWAYS a possibility; that's been true since the first days of cruising and is equally true now. Not sure what you mean by "in kind" but essentially, when you book a cruise, you book a cabin on the ship, food and entertainment. The ports are never guaranteed and because of the PVSA, cruiselines are limited as to what they can offer as an alternative, particularly on the West Coast.

Several years ago, a hurricane came up the East Coast and devastated Bermuda which was unable to handle cruise ships for several weeks afterwards. There was no place to dock (the harbor had to be dredged before ships could enter) and even if they could, the stores in the harbor area and elsewhere on the island were closed for repair. There was a cruise out of New York (actually leaving from Bayonne) right after the hurricane which changed the itinerary from Bermuda to Nova Scotia and New England. OMG! The uproar! People were furious that they weren't going to get their beach days and besides, they didn't bring clothes for a New England cruise. New Jersey threatened to sue the cruiseline for changing the itinerary because their residents were upset. Let's see: the cruiseline should have gone to Bermuda anyway where the passengers wouldn't have been allowed off by the island's officials? Gee, there's a concept.

I'm booked on the SP this weekend. My biggest fear right now is that there is going to be a long line of snarly people standing at the pursers desk demanding compensation. Eventually they'll wear down the entire ship's staff who will then become surly and no one will enjoy their cruise. I've seen this before. It only takes about 50 really ticked off loud and obnoxious people to ruin the cruise for everyone else.

I've done a San Diego - Catalina - Ensenada cruise before. It's not what I would have wanted. SF and Santa Barbara would have been wonderful. But I'm gonna make the best of it. After all, I'm from Wisconsin. As long as I don't see snow, I'll be happy anywhere the ship takes me....

I have several friends on the Sapphire this week, some from Connecticut, one from England, a couple from Ohio, etc. and I'm sure they were looking forward to some good times in the Mexican Riviera. That being said, after perhaps a good discussions and some extra drinks at Crooners, they will have a good time wherever the ship goes. They are there for each other's company. I personally don't care where I go, as long as I'm on the ship! I would say that they will deal with it and most of the passengers will do the same. And, they will have a cruise to remember. (and, it's not the norovirus-what happens on cruises when that breaks out?).

The passengers on board are off work for a week-getting fine food and entertainment. Mission Bay, San Diego is very pretty and there are things to do around the city like go to the zoo.The contracts do read that the cruise lines have the option of changing itineraries-and-it did happen to us on the East Coast-Hurricane Jeanne-stayed out for 2 extra days. Hurricane Wilma, diverted East instead of West.

It's the journey, not the destination! I do hope the cruisers make the best of it. A disappointment-yes-but it's still a cruise.

Take care. Lynne

I have several friends on the Sapphire this week, some from Connecticut, one from England, a couple from Ohio, etc. and I'm sure they were looking forward to some good times in the Mexican Riviera. That being said, after perhaps a good discussions and some extra drinks at Crooners, they will have a good time wherever the ship goes. They are there for each other's company. I personally don't care where I go, as long as I'm on the ship! I would say that they will deal with it and most of the passengers will do the same. And, they will have a cruise to remember. (and, it's not the norovirus-what happens on cruises when that breaks out?).

The passengers on board are off work for a week-getting fine food and entertainment. Mission Bay, San Diego is very pretty and there are things to do around the city like go to the zoo.The contracts do read that the cruise lines have the option of changing itineraries-and-it did happen to us on the East Coast-Hurricane Jeanne-stayed out for 2 extra days. Hurricane Wilma, diverted East instead of West.

It's the journey, not the destination! I do hope the cruisers make the best of it. A disappointment-yes-but it's still a cruise.

Take care. Lynne

Brava, Lynne!!!

...If I knew there was a chance in #### I could book Mexico and end up 90 minutes from my house, I would never book. I would never think in a million years an intinerary would be completely replaced, so live and learn. I thought it would be replace in kind, so I am wrong! It will be interesting to see how other lines handle this crisis. Once again time will tell but for now it's about taking necessary precautions!

This is more common than you think. The most common occurrence is when the ship by passes a stop due to weather. This was the case a few months ago in the Caribbean. Multiple ports were canceled due to wind.

The whole Mexico thing is different in that you have a heads up of a potential problem.

Several years ago a cruise was leaving New York for a cruise down to the Bahamas. It was posted here that only after the pax got on board were they told the itinerary had changed due to weather. The ship left New York and made a left turn up to Canada. Several thousand people who had packed shorts and T-shirts were now looking at snow. Within a couple of hours after the onboard shops opened, every piece of warm clothing was sold out.

Years ago when we took our first cruise, I read every piece of paper that showed up along with the tickets. The “cruise contract” was eye opening read. No guarantee of going anywhere specifically, house arrest you to your cabin on a whim or the captain having the say of dumping you and your luggage on the dock in a foreign country are just the high points.

Itinerary changes are ALWAYS a possibility; that's been true since the first days of cruising and is equally true now. Not sure what you mean by "in kind" but essentially, when you book a cruise, you book a cabin on the ship, food and entertainment. The ports are never guaranteed and because of the PVSA, cruiselines are limited as to what they can offer as an alternative, particularly on the West Coast.

Several years ago, a hurricane came up the East Coast and devastated Bermuda which was unable to handle cruise ships for several weeks afterwards. There was no place to dock (the harbor had to be dredged before ships could enter) and even if they could, the stores in the harbor area and elsewhere on the island were closed for repair. There was a cruise out of New York (actually leaving from Bayonne) right after the hurricane which changed the itinerary from Bermuda to Nova Scotia and New England. OMG! The uproar! People were furious that they weren't going to get their beach days and besides, they didn't bring clothes for a New England cruise. New Jersey threatened to sue the cruiseline for changing the itinerary because their residents were upset. Let's see: the cruiseline should have gone to Bermuda anyway where the passengers wouldn't have been allowed off by the island's officials? Gee, there's a concept.

I commend the cruise line for making the change. This is a learning opportunity for many of us who cruise infrequently. When we cruise, things go as planned for the most part. Traveling to the Caribbean during the summer for 30 years, I have had my bouts with hurricanes and unhappy customers. I have read passengers saying they choose cruise based on itinerary, this might be a reason. This does put a new spin on 'ports not guarantee'. Since Hemet is warmer than San Diego, you can understand why this would be more of a disaster for me:D I am currently freaking out about Alaska in August:D In a few weeks I will have to make a decision on our land vacation to Riviera Maya. The airlines will give me the chance to rebook and use the ticket within a year. Since that might not be possible, of course I will ask for an extension, but I am willing to forgo the entire vacation.

I didn't intend to offend anyone who think the Passenger Contact means Princess can't and won't step up and help make this easier for the passengers. Sadly there are many like myself who have bypassed the cruise contract section. This is about safety first, either by land or sea. I promise to read the cruise contract before our next cruise, but sometimes ignorance is bliss....maybe :-)

Does anyone remember the Regal Princess dubbed 'Mystery Cruise' in April/May of 2003? SARS epidemic scare??

We sailed in a Mini-Suite for $30 pp. per day :p and the ship was 1/2 empty! One of the best cruises we ever had and we didn't stop at ANY of our scheduled Ports (30 days).

Princess treated us well a few years ago on a Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Grand Princess. Due to mechanical problems, we missed one port - but spent all day in another beautiful port. Best part - Princess gave each passenger $75 OBC!!!:)

Princess treated us well a few years ago on a Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Grand Princess. Due to mechanical problems, we missed one port - but spent all day in another beautiful port. Best part - Princess gave each passenger $75 OBC!!!:)

I hope they do something like this again. I'm on sapphire this weekend with a large group of graduating med students and we're all bummed about the change. Half the group is from san diego, and a few of us JUST got back from a week on catalina island. Oh well, at least we know were all the good local bars are... :rolleyes:

As many have probably seen, I have been posting on the main virus thread, but the last post pretty much sums it up, the majority of the pax live in the LA/SD area, this cruise is a waste for them. We have spent many thousands of dollars to end up an hour from home, sorry but this doesn't fly with me.

Now yes there is a contract, yes we have to live by that contract so we will go on this cruise, spend nothing on board, take care of the staff who have no say in this debacle and for our next cruises book a different cruise line.

If princess steps up then in the future we book with them, if not oh well.

On the bright side during our stop in SD we can all go to TJ.:eek:

No way, the passage contract reads that the cruise line is free to make ANY necessary changes to the iteniary.

The passenger agrees to this when they book. Sorry.

Carnival is allowing passengers on affected cruises to delay their cruises until the 'normal' itinerary is back in effect.

Seems fair and ethical --- although, as the zealots will tell you, -- not required under the contract of carriage.

I understand know one wants their vacation adversely affected, but the cruise lines didn't fabricate the virus. All the cruise lines can do is heed the advice of health warnings and put passenger safety first.

If you would prefer to cruise with a line that does not put passenger safety first I think you should reconsider your perspective.

Yes I agree with that and I don't think you will find anyone who would disagree, I also don't think you will find anyone who is happy to spend thousands of dollars to go to the city they live in, if we had wanted to do that we would of booked with CCL and saved $6000 dollars.

Archived