Revised Itinerary for Sapphire This Week

Host Carolyn

Princess has announced that the Sapphire will not be calling in Mexico this week but instead will make port calls in San Diego and Catalina Island. I'm not sure but assume they will "dock" in Ensenada briefly to satisfy the Jones Act requirements.

They are expected to announce further changes for cruises tomorrow so I guess that means that they haven't yet decided re the ship that left San Francisco on Sunday (?)

Coral Princess is also not docking as scheduled today.

I think this is a complete over-reaction. There have been no reported cases of swine flu in the western coast of Mexico. The threat is extremely minimal. How many people will die in the port city of Los Angeles from murder and traffic accidents this year? I don't have the stats, but it must be in thousands. Yet, it's "perfectly safe" to go there. Look at all the people that die of lung cancer, but the ship's still allow smoking!

I think this is a complete over-reaction. There have been no reported cases of swine flu in the western coast of Mexico. The threat is extremely minimal. How many people will die in the port city of Los Angeles from murder and traffic accidents this year? I don't have the stats, but it must be in thousands. Yet, it's "perfectly safe" to go there. Look at all the people that die of lung cancer, but the ship's still allow smoking!

36,000 people die of the flu in the US every year.......should we all leave??

I agree with you on the "over-reaction"......amazing!

I just wonder how many people who got the swine flu while in port in Mexico would hold the cruise line responbsible and sue the cruise line because it messed up their cruise experience.

I applaud Princess and any other cruise line that refuses to stop there.

Based on the logic...or perhaps one might say lack thereof.....of your argument one can only believe that you would be one of the first to say-if you were on that cruise and among any of the passengers who got swine flu-that Princess showed a total lack of concern for their passengers by going there. Comparing apples to pears to bananas really amounts to nothing. I would also guess you would want some sort of refund. Just my opinion.....I believe in erring on the side of safety.

I'd rather Princess err on safety for it's passengers. I applaud Princess for their tough decisions(s) made in this matter.

Wow what an outlook. :rolleyes:

We are going to be leaving on the Sapphire this weekend and I pray that we spend 7 days at sea off of the coast of Mexico rather than San Diego and Catalina. Royal Carribean has announced that their Mexican Riviera cruise next week will be going to the West Coast and Canada. So much for warm weather and sun!

Given the new CDC recommendations, just how many lawyers do you think would be lined up for a piece of the action if Princess stopped there and there happened to be an outbreak among the passengers? The CDC leaves them little choice.

We are going to be leaving on the Sapphire this weekend and I pray that we spend 7 days at sea off of the coast of Mexico rather than San Diego and Catalina. Royal Carribean has announced that their Mexican Riviera cruise next week will be going to the West Coast and Canada. So much for warm weather and sun!

Is Royal Caribbean just repositioning early? May 9th Sapphire would be doing US Westcoast and Canada anyway. She's only got on more Mexican Riviera cruise to go.

Given the new CDC recommendations, just how many lawyers do you think would be lined up for a piece of the action if Princess stopped there and there happened to be an outbreak among the passengers? The CDC leaves them little choice.

I work for a large law firm and I can tell you, the liability issues have to be playing a huge factor here.. Once the CDC made the announcement that nonessential travel to Mexico is a "no no" they gave them really no option from that standpoint. If just one person contracts the flu there (incubation period being such that they could not have had it when they boarded) and dies or has complications.... or someone who chose not to go ashore but got sick from someone who did.. it's a major bummer but....

Have been stuck at sea for days due to weather and not our choice but we enjoy sea days so hope people will make the best of it! On East Coast we are used to have all kinds of cruises disrupted due to hurricanes.

Some were complaining about missing Coz on another board.. the two people sick here were in Cancun.. so it is not just confined to one area.

I'd rather Princess err on safety for it's passengers. I applaud Princess for their tough decisions(s) made in this matter.

Yes, the safety of the passengers is paramount.

But what about passengers who do not wish to visit San Diego and Catalina? Should they be given a refund in the name of doing the right thing?

I tend to agree....

But what about passengers who do not wish to visit San Diego and Catalina? Should they be given a refund in the name of doing the right thing?

No way, the passage contract reads that the cruise line is free to make ANY necessary changes to the iteniary.

The passenger agrees to this when they book. Sorry.

This is a popular cliché on this board, especially when poor Carnival or NCL is involved. I for one love getting what I pay for. So here passengers paid for Mexican ports and warm weather. Due to unusual circumstance they got wonderful Southern California and Catalina. Is it fair to say regardless of the reason, these people should be compensated somewhat for clearly NOT getting close to what they paid for. The move is necessary on the part of the cruise lines. Getting what you pay for should also be factored in somewhere, and not as a silly cliché when trying to say why you choose one line over the other. In the future this might be the reason to choose one line over the next. I am hoping this is a total over-reaction, so in a few weeks everyone can get back to enjoy the vacation they paid for. Time will tell!

Just a thought.

No way, the passage contract reads that the cruise line is free to make ANY necessary changes to the iteniary.

The passenger agrees to this when they book. Sorry.

Cruise lines many not have to give refunds, but an ethical company would do so when the itinerary in total is cancelled.

Once the CDC made the announcement that nonessential travel to Mexico is a "no no" they gave them really no option from that standpoint.

This is it exactly. When the CDC says you shouldn't go there and your cruiseline goes there anyway, the line is taking a HUGE amount of liability upon themselves. I agree that there seems to be ALOT of overreacting going on right now, per usual in the media. Although this is not likely to be contained, hopefully it will level out and nobody else will get sick. Then everyone wins.

Cruise lines many not have to give refunds, but an ethical company would do so when the itinerary in total is cancelled.

Well, since the voyage that started last Saturday and the one that starts on 5/2 ARE the last voyages of the season for the Sapphire, I think Princess could toss in some OBC to take the sting out of missing the Mexican Riviera. That'd do much to alleviate a potential PR nightmare.

This is a popular cliché on this board....I for one love getting what I pay for...

When you BOARD the ship, you agree to the cruise contract. No cliche, plain fact.

While othe parts apply, here is the main cluase:

. CARRIER’S RIGHT TO CANCEL, CHANGE TIME OF SAILING OR PORTS OF EMBARKATION/DISEMBARKATION OR SHORTEN CRUISE; SUBSTITUTION.

Carrier may, at any time, without notice or liability for refund, payment or compensation or credit except as provided herein, cancel the Cruise, change the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or disembarkation, shorten the Cruise or substitute ships, aircraft or other transportation or lodging. Passenger shall have no claim against Carrier, and Carrier shall not be liable (whether for damages or a refund, payment or compensation or credit of any kind) for hotel or meal charges, travel expenses or other loss, delay, inconvenience, disappointment or expense whatsoever in such circumstances, except as follows:

(A) If Carrier cancels the Cruise before it has started, it will refund the Cruise Fare (less any air or accommodation charges incurred).

(B) If the sailing is delayed and You are not accommodated on board the ship, Carrier may arrange accommodations and food at no additional expenses to You.

© If the scheduled port of embarkation or disembarkation as specified in the passage ticket is changed, Carrier will arrange transportation to it from the originally scheduled port.

(D) If the Cruise is terminated or ends early Carrier, at its option, may issue a cruise credit, make a proportionate refund of Your Cruise Fare, transfer You to another ship or transport You to the scheduled final port. If the performance of the Cruise is hindered or prevented by any cause or circumstance whatsoever, including but not limited to a good faith belief by the Carrier or the ship’s Captain that the Cruise or any portion thereof may endanger the vessel or expose any person or property to loss, damage or delay, the Cruise may be terminated and You may be landed with no further liability of the Carrier for refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind.

Have you bothered to read this BEFORE any of your cruises?

Two years ago Disney had to make significant changes to its itinerary. They offered the passengers 50 percentage discount on rebooking. Of course, like coupons, offering the voucher doesn't mean everyone can or will use it. In this case, Disney might simply be in a class by itself. For the sake of customer service, I hope Princess move up to the head of the class. We know they don't have to but it doesn't mean they shouldn't.

JMOP!

Is Royal Caribbean just repositioning early? May 9th Sapphire would be doing US Westcoast and Canada anyway. She's only got on more Mexican Riviera cruise to go.

No RCCL's Mariner of the Seas is supposed to sail Mexican Riviera year round. Same as Carnival Splendour. Carnival has not yet announced Splendour's new itinerary, but it won't include Mexico.

Archived