Well, I think I'm done with cruising....

watermelon5

We have been on 50-60 cruises since we started but never on the small luxery ships which aren't in our budget.

Luxury cruises are definitely in the budget if you don't go as often, and we prefer quality over quantity. As my husband says, "It costs no more to go first class; you just can't stay as long." :p

I love my cruises! Have been to All Inclusives land vacations, and IMHO, there is NO COMPARISON! The food is much better on a cruise. The entertainment is much better on a cruise. I cruise during off-peak times, and don't have much trouble with kids. I ignore the negative comments by other cruisers. I don't let anything ruin my vacation!

Go ahead and quit cruising, and it will leave more room for the people that LOVE to cruise!

Well this "new to crusin" gal can't wait. My DH & I leave next Sat & even with the Swine flu outbreaks, I still can't wait to go. Of course I'll be bummed if I can't go to Cozumel because that is where I'm suppose to swim with the dolphins but safety for all comes first. As long as I'm on vacation, I don't care where I'm at. :)

I've been on these boards for about a year & they haven't deterred me one bit. I've seen just as many, if not more, positive comments vs. negative ones. As far as chair hogs...there has to be an empty chair somewhere on that ship; unruly kids...don't care 'cause they aren't mine (lol). Buffet style food is just that...its like that everywhere(IMO).

I CAN NOT WAIT to get on my cruise May 9th....wooohooo! I'll be having the time of my life. I'll be the overexcited, overhappy one with a DOD! :D:D:D

I'm thinking of not cruising for a while...all the "I don't like what he/she wore in the dining room" comments, the inconsiderate chair hogs, the adults who let their kids run wild on the ships, the nickel and diming by the cruiselines, the deteroration of food quality and service etc....have all given me reason to look at all-inclusive land vacations instead.

I really have mixed feelings about this......there's nothing like that first step onto a cruiseship at the beginning of the week, but frankly, I think I need a change.:confused:

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Before you give up perhaps your next cruise needs to not be on Carnival and try a upscale cruiseline ;)

Not dishing Carnival, every line markets a certain experience at a certain price and they all need to make money. Relish the cruise experience without the crowds, kids, hogs, there are lines, but they cost a hefty sum. Its like all things in life, you gotta pay if you want that high end experience.

I was so, so, so excited on our first cruise (24 day)............felt everything was "perfect" and was just excited about each new thing. My only "problem" was when people sat down next to me and complained about things..............food, what others had the nerve to wear, service, etc.

THEN, thank goodness, a lady said to me, "You are enjoying yourself so much and seem to be loving each new thing. I have advice for you; when the Negative Nellies sit down by you, just MOVE. You don't have to listen to them."

Best advice I've ever had when on a vacation................I made the choice to not let someone else infect my delight in my cruise(s). I just smile and move on (and keep my positive attitude).

I LOVE CRUISING........think it's that feeling of someone taking care of all my needs after many years of doing for others at home and in my profession.

Take me to the next available ship; I'm up for any cruise..........the longer, the better.

June 5th here I come.:p 14 more days..................;)

Thank you Thank you Thank you for that great advice! My DW and I will be going on our first cruise and I really want her to enjoy the experience as I would love to cruise again. My concern was being tabled with a negative person and it is nice to know that moving is an option.

Bill

I'm thinking of not cruising for a while...all the "I don't like what he/she wore in the dining room" comments, the inconsiderate chair hogs, the adults who let their kids run wild on the ships, the nickel and diming by the cruiselines, the deteroration of food quality and service etc....have all given me reason to look at all-inclusive land vacations instead.

I really have mixed feelings about this......there's nothing like that first step onto a cruiseship at the beginning of the week, but frankly, I think I need a change.:confused:

No, I have always made up my own mind, did my own thing and enjoyed every cruise I have ever taken.

I go with the flow and don't let the naysayers run my life or my cruises. :)

As someone else posted, Oh yes and # 28 and # 29 coming up. :D

That is just my opinion. ;)

I think you need to try a different line! I can recommend HAL as far as the mass markets. I can also recommend any small ship that I have been on (200 or less passengers). We will also be on SilverSeas and Azamara in the next 9 months.

I kinda agree. Instead of a cruise last December, we did Mexico with friends and had a great time. Really didn't miss the cruise.

In saying that, I am torn as I'm trying to decide when (or if) I want to cruise later this year. I understand (but it still ticks me off) that airline's fare structures any convenient times departing a cruise is pretty restrictive. Last time, I could have booked a 7:00 am flight about 1/2 of what a noon was. I understand the economics behind the pricing but it still makes the return trip (certainly not wanting to come home anyway) more of a hassle and costly than what it was worth. I flew to Mexico cheaper than what I could have in December, when I wanted not restricted by cruise schedules.

Don't take my comments wrong as I will resume cruising, maybe not as often as I have. You can't beat the warm destinations, pools and cold beer.

We don't give a whit what other folks are doing or thinking. We have worked to hard and to long for our money to let others determine how it should be spent. My wife and I envision the ship as ours to use as we see fit as long as it is legal and doesn't infringe upon others. There are people who will never be happy no matter what they are doing. They seem to thrive on negativity. We choose to enjoy ourselves and to roll with the punches. I have discovered that there is no need to sweat the small stuff and 98% of life is small stuff. When you consider folks are lsoing their jobs and homes, having to deal with a chair hog seems mighty paltry in comparison. As for us, we sail on (if that's what we want to do).

I hope your experiences don't deter you from enjoying the wonderful world of cruising!

Cheers, Kenn

We have every intention to continue cruising. Assuming all remains possible for us, cruise ships are where we want to be for our vacations. We've done plenty of other travel and now, for us, it's all about crusing as often as possible.

DH is not retired and I so hate when his work gets in the way of our cruises. :D

Not at all. Can't wait for the next one.

Whenever I hear someone "complaining", I consider that free entertainment. :D

Pickels is right on. -- we stop letting the whiney folks get to us and now find it humerous. Put in perspective, how can you not enjoy a week or two on a cruise. I think it is one of those half empty/half full things.

change is a good thing. it sounds like you do need to try something different. i have a cruise already booked for next year but perhaps in 2011 a all-inclusive will be something i will try. it sounds like a fun vacation to me also for a change.

change is a good thing. it sounds like you need a different kind of vacation. i would like to try all-inclusive myself.

If I were a first time cruiser and came to this board for information, I would cancel any cruise plans I had. A lot of the posting on here makes a cruise ship seem like a war zone!

Fortunately, I know better.

While I do a lot of non-cruise holidays, (next week I'm travelling the Canadian Rockies to Prince Rupert by VIA Rail) I still enjoy cruising. Pick and choose your cruise line and itinerary. Cruising can be a very enjoyable holiday!

Pearl

I like trains. Compared to air, I LOVE trains.:D But there aren't any near our home.:(

When our DD lived in England, we would visit her and fam. and take train trips around Britian and the continent.:cool:

I have not been on a cruise I did not enjoy. We look at our annual cruise vacation as a sampler of different places with the ship as home base. We select based on itinerary then the best deal we can find. Out of nine cruises we have been on Princess 3 times, RC 4 times, Celebrity once, and Carnaval once. If I had to say, then I would be partial to to Princess We have not been on NCL.

Nothing wrong with a change in vacationing once in a while. So by all means plan an all-inclusive land vacation if that's what you'd like to do. Crusing every vacation certainly isn't for everyone and doesn't need to be.

But we wouldn't dream of doing a land vacation because of all the negative comments about things like chairhogs, food quality, wild children, and nickle and diming by cruiselines on this board. None of those things have been a major problem for us on any of our cruises and things like chair hogs, food quality issues and wild children can easily be problems on all-inclusive land vacations too.

We're doing an all-inclusion land vacation next year to give us the opportunity to explore in more depth the country of Costa Rica that we enjoyed visiting on our port stop in that country on our last cruise.

Hope you enjoy all your future vacations !

Oh horrors! Not cruise? Never an option! While there has been a decline in service/food quality, this has never deterred us. It's a wonderul, relaxing vacation for us and I like the fact that everything is available a few steps beyond our cabin door and paid for (minus the bar tab....ugh). :)

We've never had a bad one. But we're always pretty conservative with our expectations. For example, we knew that service aboard NCL America would not be on a par with other NCL ships, but we did it for the itinerary (8 Hawaii ports in 11 days...amazing). When we sailed Celebrity, we knew the activity level might be a bit more subdued, espcially with only 4 ports in 10 days. That was great...we had wonderful sea days of total relaxation. We did Star Princess on her first cruise out of drydock, and we knew everything wasn't going to be perfect (MUTS was still being installed while we were cruising).

We have never regretted what we didn't get to do or see. We just make sure we get as much pleasure as we can from the things we actually do and see.

Rude people are everywhere (I work in retail and my wife is in Health Care, so we've seen some interesting cases...lol). We just don't let them bother us. We take 10 day cruises when school is in session, so not too many kids.

The idea of taking our hotel with us for 10 days, only unpacking once, being waited on, catered to, getting pampered and spolied...what could be better?

We have not been vacationing many years now only since 2004, before that we were to busy and to cash strapped raising our daughter and sending her to college on a 1 income household so I could stay home with her. Our family vacations then were a camping trip to springs in North Florida, a few days at Disney World or a week in the Keys driving from Tampa.

Our first cruise or really real vacation together alone was on the Enchantment in 2004. We thought we had planned everything out and thought all was well. It started with having to pay more at the port because the travel agency put us in a GA residents for a resident special. We were unaware of the Cozumel time change and had a private dive charter planned and paid for that we missed by an hour. We were misinformed about Belize and scared to go out of the gates so we remained in the shopping area at the port. Needless to say we did not have a swell time. We did formal night dressed formally because we thought we had to.

These were all of our issues. Things that could have been avoided if we had educated ourselves.

Next cruise we did the dive charter we had had planned before. We met up with people from this board in the roll calll and scheduled a Cave tubing trip with alot of them with a private tour operator in Belize. We have since used the same company 2 times and we will be using them on this cruise again to. They feel like old friends now. We hired a private driver in Costa Maya and went to this cenote. We skip formal night, and eat in the Windjammer because we prefer to. Kids don't bother us they are not ours, that's the parents problem. Our 3rd cruise we did the same as above except Costa Maya. We had a wonderful time again.

We have been to All inclusives in Roatan and Akumal, MX several times and enjoy that to. There's nothing like flying into Cancun picking up a rental car and driving to Akumal to a beautiful resort, then exporing all the communities on your own time. The best of both worlds is to alternate. That's what we are doing. We went back to a cruise this year because of airline restrictions and the simplicity of just arriving at the port not caring what the dive gear weights.

We don't care what complainers do, we complained ourselves on our 1st cruise, but we picked ourselves up and tried it again and again, and it was great! This cruise on the 25th is upset by the flu cancelling Cozumel, we had a dive charter scheduled, so what ,we have another sea day. Any day is better than a day at work and it's quality time we can spend together on our 25th Anniversary cruise!

To the original poster, take a break try an all inclusive. It's all good! It makes you appreciate the differences each vacation can offer.

Archived