What are our chances of a smooth Atlantic in late May?

My husband and I are considering a last minute cruise from Norfolk, VA to Bermuda at the end of May. He really doesn't want to sail the Atlantic because he's only heard about how rough it is. I realize it will be rougher than the Caribbean, but how much should we expect?

Thanks in advance!!!

Quite impossible to answer: once, we left on May 4th, and the sea was like glass. We heard, however, that on the trip right before us, the sea was so rough that most of the passengers got sick.

I think it is safe to say that your weather should be calmer than August, when there is more likelihood of storms.

My husband and I are considering a last minute cruise from Norfolk, VA to Bermuda at the end of May. He really doesn't want to sail the Atlantic because he's only heard about how rough it is. I realize it will be rougher than the Caribbean, but how much should we expect?

Thanks in advance!!!

:cool:Left NJ on Empress, the smallest ship at the time. One night I couldn't tell if it was rough seas or from drinking too much. Rest of time fine. Went middle of May. WARNING--Bermuda water was on the cold side. If you are a beach lover, would put off until June:cool:

It all depends on the weather at the time you sail. We sailed out of NY on the Pacific Princess in May or June and the seas were very rough. Yet we sailed on the Zenith in August and the seas were smooth as glass.

If you or your husband ever get seasick, I would be sure to pack some bonnine or other meds just in case. If it is rough and you start feeling bad, start drinking ginger ale.

I would never let rough seas keep me away from Bermuda!!

sue

You just never know about the seas. Bermuda is known for rough waters. That said, we just returned from our 5th transatlantic monday and the seas were smooth like glass and the weather was warm. Our 2005 crossing had similar seas, but this one was the calmest ever! It was wonderful! You just take your chances.

Grandeur is a big ship. It would take closely spaced swells of at least 8 feet to make much motion (IMHO) depending of course on the direction of the seas vis a vis the ship. The North Atlantic is frequently rougher than the Caribbean, but the Caribbean is often a bathtub, and May is a pretty good choice for the Bermuda run. No hurricanes out there to roil things up, and the tempetuous weather of winter and spring is largely past. I've done Grandeur in 15 foot seas and she was moving a bit, but nothing too bad. Did Empress across to Bermuda a year and a half ago and were in 8-10 foot seas off NC, but not really an issue there either. These are big ships and it takes big seas to really cause an issue. I would expect the average seas in May on that crossing to be well within the comfort range. Here in NC we do a fair amount of Gulf Stream fishing and birding out of Hatteras and Oregon Inlet, and late May-June are considered to be fairly temperate months sea-wise.

Enjoy!

Steve in Raleigh

42% chance of swells 1-3 feet

Where do you get that from? That is dreadfully calm.

Grandeur is a big ship. It would take closely spaced swells of at least 8 feet to make much motion (IMHO) depending of course on the direction of the seas vis a vis the ship.

Grandeur of the seas is 74,000 grt. That isn't particularly large, and of course the ship is not a proper liner.

If you venture on the North Altantic then you should be prepared for significant movement - that is what is so exciting about it. It is not unusual for water to spray on the bridge, or for green water to wash over the fo'c'sle.

Eight foot swells are nothing on the North Atlantic.

Thanks for all of the responses! We've decided to take the Explorer out of NJ! Hopefully the bigger ship will help. It will be an adventure, hopefully a smooth sailing one! Thanks again!!

Terri

PS Welcome home from the transatlantic!! Glad it was so nice for you. 6 sea days in bad weather would be stinky!!

The run between New York and Bermuda is not like a transatlantic crossing, so put what you have heard about the North Atlantic aside. While there is always the possibility of a storm, I have made the trip in late May several times and it was fine each time.

The run from NJ or Norfolk to Bermuda is quite often rough. Read the threads here, or look at the reviews. It's a common theme, there are periods of rough water as you run in and out of the prevailing currents. Some cruises are much rougher than others, but it's still a crap shoot.

Thanks for all of the responses! We've decided to take the Explorer out of NJ! Hopefully the bigger ship will help. It will be an adventure, hopefully a smooth sailing one! Thanks again!!

Terri

PS Welcome home from the transatlantic!! Glad it was so nice for you. 6 sea days in bad weather would be stinky!!

Take plenty of dramamine, bonine or whatever your doctor recommends and/or prescribes. Even with calm ocean, some can get sea sick.

Ok, what it breaks down to (sorry to all who think they are experts on this subject) is nobody knows how the seas will be, they could be just as smooth as glass or they could be rough, or in between, nobody knows. Same goes for any other ocean/sea on the planet. I could tell you stories of rough Caribbean cruises and smooth Boston-Bermuda cruises and vice-versa.

Don't let stories of the seas be a deciding factor for your cruise is all im trying to say. It's always a crapshoot no matter where your going.

We did Bermuda on the Empress. Going down was 5-10 swells. Coming back we got caught in a Nor'Easter. 24 hours of 25-30 swells. The Empress is a small ship and oh my! People were sick everywhere. The ship did sustain some damage. The outside decks were all closed and water kept splashing into the Windjammer. It was our first cruise and now we're going on our 9th, so it wasn't too terrible

The second time I did Bermuda, the seas were perfect.

We usually check this website before we sail.

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

Back in May 2005 we got stuck in a Nor' Easter off the Carolina coast. It was a repo cruise from San Juan to NY. As soon as we left the protection of the Caribbean islands the seas started to get rough. And then one night the big storm hit and the captain stopped the ship, put out the stabilizers, and we waited out the storm for an extra sea day. Needless to say we were very happy to see land! While a big storm is unusual we would never cruise the Atlantic again.

The captain was entertaining though, he made hourly announcements including "and remember when in the buffet only take one plate at a time and one hand on the plate one hand on the rail"

That was the same year the Enchanment went across for it's stretching and hit a rouge wave damaging the ship. In addition to the Dawn hitting its rouge wave.

Terri

Congratulations on booking! Explorers' a nice BIG ship and you'll love Bermuda. Happy sailing!!

Where do you get that from? That is dreadfully calm.

Grandeur of the seas is 74,000 grt. That isn't particularly large, and of course the ship is not a proper liner.

If you venture on the North Altantic then you should be prepared for significant movement - that is what is so exciting about it. It is not unusual for water to spray on the bridge, or for green water to wash over the fo'c'sle.

Eight foot swells are nothing on the North Atlantic.

But dont you just love it love it watching those big Ghoffers !!!! (Waves)

One thing people are not doing, is telling what time of year you were sailing.

I have been out to the Gulf Stream many times fishing, and it is much, much rougher and a higher chance for storms during the cold months.

We've been to Bermuda 8 times all on small ships, Celebrity Zenith, RCI Empress of the Seas and NCL Majesty. There were some rough seas but all the ships handled it quite well. MORE often than not, the sailings were calm and the water looked like glass.:) All our trips were in either Sept. but mostly Oct. prime hurricane season which everyone warns about.:D

Archived