What is the best upgrade you've received from a guarantee?

It really could be anything from the worst room in the catagory you paid for, all the way up to a several catagory upgrade...there's really no way to tell what, if any, upgrade you may get.

Friends of ours (1st timers) booked an inside gty--were assigned a cabin on deck 2...when they arrived at the ship, they found they'd been moved to a deck 9 balcony (D catagory, no less!)--quite a grand upgrade. So, who knows?

Good luck!

We've booked a couple guarantees and have always gotten the category we booked. We've had a couple of great upgrades, but not when we had a guaranteed cabin.

The best was getting upgraded to a balcony when we paid for an inside cabin. The only way that happened was there was a serious mechanical issue with our original cabin and the balcony was the only cabin available...fine by us! :)

Tried it twice - both times got one of the worst cabins in the (low) category I booked. I was able to get back in the pool once and got a better location but still in the low category. The other time, the RCCL rep would not let me change to another room in the same assigned category. It was early in our cruise expereinces and I did not know enough to try again with a different customer service clerk.

I have never tried a guarantee since.

M

Sorry, I'm new to cruising (first one coming up next month), but may I ask what a guarantee is?

I'm not sure if I have one or not, but we just got upgraded from an Oceanview cabin on deck 2 to a Balcony cabin on deck 6, plus got a small refund (less than $100) thank to dropping prices. I *think* that our new cabin is one of the outer-most hump cabins, though I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... But considering I started out with no balcony at all, I'm obviously absolutely thrilled. :D

We booked a suite gty on the Voyager last November. We were assigned an OS. Loved it, loved it, loved it! Spoiled for life! However...reality probably means we won't see that level cabin again! :p

Friends of ours (1st timers) booked an inside gty--were assigned a cabin on deck 2...when they arrived at the ship, they found they'd been moved to a deck 9 balcony (D catagory, no less!)--quite a grand upgrade. So, who knows?

Good luck!

I hope this happens to us, we just booked our first RCI this past week and were assigned a cabin on deck 2. It would be nice, but the nicest part is being away on vacation.

our biggest upgrade was on princess a few years ago, we booked a Mini and got upgraded to a Vista Suite on the aft of the boat, it was a wonderful cabin.

Sorry, I'm new to cruising (first one coming up next month), but may I ask what a guarantee is?

I'm not sure if I have one or not, but we just got upgraded from an Oceanview cabin on deck 2 to a Balcony cabin on deck 6, plus got a small refund (less than $100) thank to dropping prices. I *think* that our new cabin is one of the outer-most hump cabins, though I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... But considering I started out with no balcony at all, I'm obviously absolutely thrilled. :D

Correct me if im wrong but I believe it is when you book within a certain category (inside/ocean/balcony/suite) and you don't get to choose the exact cabin or location. The assign the cabin # for you. It can be cheaper to do it this way.

Our best upgrade was from a Grand Suite guarantee to the Owner's Suite.

Have also had other guarantee upgrades, for example, inside gtd to ocean view. I like the excitement of finding out which cabin we'll get as a guarantee. Any cabin on a ship is acceptable to us as we never get seasick.

When I booked inside guarantees, I got exactly what I booked - an inside cabin in a decent location.

The one time I booked an oceanview guarantee, I ended up with an oceanview cabin on the promenade deck on Monarch. Had people walking past the windows at all hours of the day and night so had to keep the drapes closed at all times for privacy. Also had people throw a party outside our window in the middle of the night. Taught me not to book anything lower than a superior oceanview on the Sovereign class.

On Rhapsody I booked a suite guarantee and ended up with an oceanview.

You should never book a guarantee expecting an upgrade. Expect to get the worst cabin in the category you book (even if none are currently available) or in any higher categories. As long as you go with that expectation, you will be okay. And if you happen to get an upgrade, look on it as a bonus.

It really could be anything from the worst room in the catagory you paid for, all the way up to a several catagory upgrade...there's really no way to tell what, if any, upgrade you may get.

Question: If you book a guarantee at one level, and Royal assigns you an upgraded level, will they ever downgrade you later once they've given you the upgrade? For example, if I book an inside guarantee, they assign me a balcony and I do the happy dance and pay homage to the upgrade fairy, I really wouldn't want to then show up at the pier and find out they downgraded me back to an inside again. I understand if I ask to be put back in the guarantee pool that could happen, but if I don't ask, will I do no worse than that new upgraded level, or it is possible Royal could retract the upgrade once it has been assigned?

Just another quick question if anyone knows the answer.....

Once you have been assigned a cabin when you have booked a guarantee, can that change or once you have it, thats it????

Thanks

Usually once assigned that cabin is yours, but it is always possible that you could be reassigned up until sailing.

Question: If you book a guarantee at one level, and Royal assigns you an upgraded level, will they ever downgrade you later once they've given you the upgrade? For example, if I book an inside guarantee, they assign me a balcony and I do the happy dance and pay homage to the upgrade fairy, I really wouldn't want to then show up at the pier and find out they downgraded me back to an inside again. I understand if I ask to be put back in the guarantee pool that could happen, but if I don't ask, will I do no worse than that new upgraded level, or it is possible Royal could retract the upgrade once it has been assigned?

Following up my own question, as I found out today from this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=981857

The answer is a resounding "yes", they can downgrade your guarantee after assigning you an upgrade, and have done so to others in the past. The moral of this story: don't count on being in the cabin you've been assigned until you're in it (and who knows, maybe not even then :rolleyes: )

Archived