need help from experienced Trans Atlantic travelers

cruise kitty

Thank you, this is just the kind of advice I was looking for, didn't mean to start WW3 among the travel agents.;)

Not a travel agent and most of the frequent posters on this forum are not. We are all frequent fliers, with our own preferences of airlines. Only the new poster is a TA. And he/she just joined last month. The rest of us have been posting for a lot of years.

But if you are really looking for the BEST flight and usually fly first on Cathay and Singapore, you will be sadly disappointed in most of the offerings. Gardyloo had THE BEST suggestion-Air NZ/BA from LAX to Rome with the LHR transfer. About as good as you will get for the price.

Again, I was just trying to help the poor traveler who was going to overpay for his LAX to FCO trip. Just quit posting info that's incorrect. You have never worked for an airline or a travel agency, so I'm confused how you profess to be such an expert.

It's great if you can post a wonderful fare for someone. The actual airfare price discussions have not had anyone saying they had purchased a fare yet.

Perhaps those looking for a better air fare could post the dates and cities they are looking for and you could help them? I just see arguing so far, not any help. You seem to have the experience and tools at your disposal.

That's what this board is for.

Again, I was just trying to help the poor traveler who was going to overpay for his LAX to FCO trip. Just quit posting info that's incorrect. You have never worked for an airline or a travel agency, so I'm confused how you profess to be such an expert.

We who have benefited from Greatam's posts over the years are not at all confused about her expertise.:)

Not a travel agent and most of the frequent posters on this forum are not. We are all frequent fliers, with our own preferences of airlines. Only the new poster is a TA. And he/she just joined last month. The rest of us have been posting for a lot of years.

But if you are really looking for the BEST flight and usually fly first on Cathay and Singapore, you will be sadly disappointed in most of the offerings. Gardyloo had THE BEST suggestion-Air NZ/BA from LAX to Rome with the LHR transfer. About as good as you will get for the price.

Thanks for all the advice, I booked on Air New Zealand, got the premium Economy on the upper deck, seats that are on the exit row!, I paid about $750 each, seems well worth it for the Premium Economy Class! (& thanks Gardyloo too!) I booked for Thanksgiving Day, the airport seems much less crowed than on the day before. I am very excited & relieved.

Does anyone have some suggestions for a one-way fare from Rome to Seattle next April? We live in Vancouver, but flights are generally a lot less expensive into Seattle.

I would try best travel store, one travel, and lessno, they are very cheap for one way, but very restrictive, you generally have to be certain you will not be changing your flight. I ended up buying my ticket direct from Air New Zealand, based on advice on this thread, I paid about $300 more pp for my tix, but they are changeable, refundable & I got premium economy & was able to choose my seat, I guess you have to decide price vs convenience & amenities, it pays to shop around, Good Luck!

Thanks for all the advice, I booked on Air New Zealand, got the premium Economy on the upper deck, seats that are on the exit row!, I paid about $750 each, seems well worth it for the Premium Economy Class! (& thanks Gardyloo too!) I booked for Thanksgiving Day, the airport seems much less crowed than on the day before. I am very excited & relieved.
$750 for one way in Premium Economy??!! Holy Toledo, killer deal. Congratulations!

$750 for one way in Premium Economy??!! Holy Toledo, killer deal. Congratulations!

Unbelievable find. Thanks to you, the OP started looking at Air New Zealand and found a killer deal.

Does anyone have some suggestions for a one-way fare from Rome to Seattle next April? We live in Vancouver, but flights are generally a lot less expensive into Seattle.

Too early for next April booking.

I always point everyone to AerLingus for a one way fare. EASY transfer in Dublin, ESPECIALLY inbound to the USA. You clear immigration in Dublin, so when you arrive USA, you only have to walk your luggage through customs, then either get on another flight to your home airport or just go home. NO long lines with passport in hand waiting for immigration.

Out of Rome (according to the current schedule through March 31), there is one flight per day from Rome to Dublin, then nonstop from Dublin to SFO, and on to Seattle. You will have to spend the night in Dublin to make this flight work. There is also a flight from DUB through ORD to SEA. Again, you will have to spend the night in Dublin, according to the current schedule.

Average price from DUB to SEA is about $380.00pp. The flights from Rome to DUB average about $65.00. IF you cannot book the complete trip (FCO/DUB/SEA) in one ticket (often, AerLingus website does not allow the through booking to be completed-you get error messages that the flight is not available), book both segments as separate tickets, then immediately call EI and have the two pieces put together. I have done this often with my employees. I usually need to send them one way to Europe, then on to Asia, so a one way on AerLingus generally saves me money (and they seem to enjoy the overseas flight from JFK) The US luggage allowance (2 bags, 40 pounds each) is in effect for your entire intra Europe/USA trip, so long as you continue on within 2 weeks of departing for the USA (you could in effect stay in Ireland for a few days and not pay any increase in air fare. Or you could even head someplace else in Europe BEFORE you head for Dubin)

A couple of options if interested to save even more money: Buy a cheapie ticket to SEA from an AerLingus gateway-Chicago, Boston or JFK. You also need to get to your cruise departure point, so sometimes an open-jaw US domestic ticket saves money paired up with an EI ticket. You will need to take into consideration luggage fees if you book a US domestic ticket separately.

IF you book one way from FCO/DUB/SEA on AerLingus, you will generally fly either United or AA on the domestic flight. BUT you will not pay domestic luggage fees, as it is considered an international flight.

Okay, I must be missing something. I see Air New Zealand from LAX to London - but not to Rome. Wow on the prices to London though! Is there a link I can't see or does the OP need to take a different airline from London to Rome? What am I doing wrong?

No, you aren't missing something. Air New Zealand does not fly to FCO. OP has to transfer to a BA flight in LHR.

If I recall, OP is purchasing only a one way fare.

I would try best travel store, one travel, and lessno, they are very cheap for one way, but very restrictive, you generally have to be certain you will not be changing your flight. I ended up buying my ticket direct from Air New Zealand, based on advice on this thread, I paid about $300 more pp for my tix, but they are changeable, refundable & I got premium economy & was able to choose my seat, I guess you have to decide price vs convenience & amenities, it pays to shop around, Good Luck!

Please explain as I see only flights on Air New Zealand from LAX-LHR on 26 Nov 2009 in premium economy for $850. Regular economy for this date was $402.10 AI. How did you book PE for only $750? What was the additional price for the BA flight to FCO?

Also Premium Economy Value Fares are refundable, after you pay a $300 cancellation fee, "excluding any non-refundable portion" - whatever that means. You will have to pay a $100 change fee to make any changes.

Please explain as I see only flights on Air New Zealand from LAX-LHR on 26 Nov 2009 in premium economy for $850. Regular economy for this date was $402.10 AI. How did you book PE for only $750? What was the additional price for the BA flight to FCO?

Also Premium Economy Value Fares are refundable, after you pay a $300 cancellation fee, "excluding any non-refundable portion" - whatever that means. You will have to pay a $100 change fee to make any changes.

I used a discount code given by a relative who works in the airline industry -(took off about $100 per ticket) sorry I can't share it. I hadn't even considered using ANZ until Gardyloo recommended it, because all the Premium economy I'd seen up until then were outrageous, $2000 and up! Makes sense for work, when you need to arrive refreshed plus get some work done on the way, but for vacation, when we are the ones paying.... Anyhow, my relatives discount usually only takes off anywhere from $50 to $150 so I didn't think it was worth using until I saw this fare, (can't use it on consolidator fares)

Yes, there is a charge of $100 per ticket to make a change, But with a consolidator, it would be worse. And yes I have to take a BA flight from Heathrow to Rome, but I won't have an airport change. I haven't decided what class to take for that flight yet, economy is about $87 USD pp, their premium economy is about $250 USD pp. I'm thinking that I might look into using some of our FFM for this leg of the trip and upgrade. Again, I am very grateful for every one's help. When my DH and I travel for work, the secretary handles all the arrangements, so I am not that skilled airline arrangements.

I used a discount code given by a relative who works in the airline industry -(took off about $100 per ticket) sorry I can't share it. I hadn't even considered using ANZ until Gardyloo recommended it, because all the Premium economy I'd seen up until then were outrageous, $2000 and up! Makes sense for work, when you need to arrive refreshed plus get some work done on the way, but for vacation, when we are the ones paying.... Anyhow, my relatives discount usually only takes off anywhere from $50 to $150 so I didn't think it was worth using until I saw this fare, (can't use it on consolidator fares)

Yes, there is a charge of $100 per ticket to make a change, But with a consolidator, it would be worse. And yes I have to take a BA flight from Heathrow to Rome, but I won't have an airport change. I haven't decided what class to take for that flight yet, economy is about $87 USD pp, their premium economy is about $250 USD pp. I'm thinking that I might look into using some of our FFM for this leg of the trip and upgrade. Again, I am very grateful for every one's help. When my DH and I travel for work, the secretary handles all the arrangements, so I am not that skilled airline arrangements.

LHR-FCO isn't that long of a flight, and I think BA has a very good regular economy product. Good luck whatever you decide and have a great trip!

If you can't justify premium economy for international you'll struggle to do so for Club Europe on LHR-FCO. I rather like the product for what it is but the seating is for the most part the same as economy would be, you'll just find the middle seat blocked off and you'll get a more substantial meal too. You'll get lounge access at LHR, worthwhile if you have a wait for your flight as you can get a shower if you wish.

Shorthaul economy isn't that bad on BA. Free alcohol and snacks, they won't let you strave.

If you can't justify premium economy for international you'll struggle to do so for Club Europe on LHR-FCO. I rather like the product for what it is but the seating is for the most part the same as economy would be, you'll just find the middle seat blocked off and you'll get a more substantial meal too. You'll get lounge access at LHR, worthwhile if you have a wait for your flight as you can get a shower if you wish.
I agree with this. I personally would struggle to justify paying $160 extra for Club Europe (short-haul business class) on BA. I have sometimes paid for short-haul Club, but usually only when there was a cheap Club fare but no really cheap economy fares, so the premium to go into Club was not so great. (If you have to buy the ticket anyway and you're only paying £25 extra to get a Club ticket, it's much more affordable.)

Last weekend, for example, I could have upgraded to Club for £125 per person one-way, but we wangled Club-style seating by allocating ourselves the window and aisle seats, leaving the middle empty. In an exit row. And the middle stayed empty - although we knew it was likely to because we were flying at one of the deadest times of the entire week.

You'd have to be really desperate for a shower to pay $160 for one!

Archived