Disappointed with Celebrity itineraries 2010

kruzgal

Is anyone else disappointed with the itineraries for 2010? We live in the UK and were all ready to book the Eclipse, until we discovered it is doing the same basic route we have done for the last 2 years on Navigator and Independence. With 2 teenagers we are restricted to school holidays and all 6 weeks of the summer are the same itinerary, giving no choice at all. There are no cruises in Europe that fit for Easter, May half term or October half term, and with the Solstice having been pulled from Europe it is very difficult to find a cruise with Celebrity that fits for us. Anyone else having the same problem. What are you doing instead? (we are considering Ruby Princess but would have preferred to stick with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean if we could).

We have the same problem. We were originally booked on the Equinox from Barcelona to Venice. We also have to travel on school holidays.

After the cruise was pulled, none of the options offered to us were suitable. So we have ended up booking to go on the Brilliance of the Seas from Barcelona to Barcelona. Would have preferred to go with Celebrity but the cruises now available weren't what we wanted.

At least this way we can still go in school holidays.

And we didn't want to go from the UK and spend 2 days at the beginning/end of the holiday at sea.

i think if we look at Celebrity again it would be for a late booking just in case they change all the itineries around again.

And we didn't want to go from the UK and spend 2 days at the beginning/end of the holiday at sea.

I used to think exactly that. However last autumn we did a 12-night Canary Islands cruise from Southampton, and I think that the long sunny days on the balcony, or exercising by walking the Promenade, are my favourite memories.

We also found that sailing from a UK port eased us into and out of the cruise very gently - we do find a flight a stressful experience, even just within Europe (e.g. will the luggage get to the same destination as us?). And the hassle of the flight home is a nightmare - on our last Med fly-cruise we didn't arrive at Heathrow until 7:30 pm and didn't get home until after midnight. That drive up the M1 was not fun; actually we were both so tired that I don't think we were really fit to drive. And this year our flight from Rome gets us back to Heathrow at 3pm on a Friday afternoon, with a drive to Yorkshire after that! Whereas with a cruise back to Southampton we're in the car by 9:30 or so, and home by 1'ish.

We too are governed by school holidays and prefer to cruise with RCL or Celebrity, although we often book other lines because they have nothing to suit us. Next year our son will be in year 11 and finishes school at the end of June after his exams so we have booked the Baltic itinerary on Eclipse for early July. Have you looked at RCLs Jewel sailing from Harwich throughout the summer?

Julie

Bremencat you won't be dissaponted with the Brilliance, I'd sail on her again anyday.

Same goes for the Jewel which I was going to book for this year on a British Isles/Fjords itinerary only they've pulled it for 2010 :(

I like Celebrity's Eclipse to Venice intinerary but I'm in the same situation re school holidays as everyone else and the dates are just not do able. We've booked October 2010 on Solstice/Equinox with one of the two weeks out of school holidays. I wouldn't normally book outside of school holdiays but 2010 is an exam free year for them all and probably the last big holiday we will all go on together.

LOL it's a logistical nightmare for us getting anywhere as I can't fly. We take overnight trains which are tiring and very long but great fun. But, I've had enough of them and after this next cruise I'm going to stick to cruises ex the UK. I just hope by then we get some new ports and better dates in the school holidays.

tom_uk... I've looked at the Canary Isles on RCI a couple of times but each time have ended up booking something else. We been to the Canaries lots of times (when I could fly) and I'm not sure about a cruise there. What are the ports/excursions like or did you do your own thing and find beaches? We are on the Cork Indy next week which will help me decide if it's for us.

We were also very disappointed that our Equinox reservation was cancelled. We really liked that itinerary. We have since decided to do 2 - 7 day cruises that will give us many of the same ports. We do the Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas itinerary and then the day after we get off that ship, we will have to fly from Venice to Barcelona to do the NCL Jade itinerary. It is more travel logistics but we will get some great ports!! The NCL Jade had a great military rate so that helps. We would have preferred Celebrity but oh well!

Vicki

It seems that Celebrity has brought into the notion that the ship is the destination (and for some it is).

As a recent retiree, I am interested in seeing parts of the world I have not yet visited. As a result I have been booking more and more cruises with Princess.

The good news: My first experience with Princess was outstanding.

I am very happy that Celebrity decided to put a ship in the Caribbean for 7 day cruises in the summer. We would like to take a cruise for our anniversary in June, but we have been unable to do so as Celebrity has been in Alaska and Europe that month and since we are retired, we cannot afford those expensive itineraries every year. So we have had to skip the anniversary cruise and fit in our every other year inexpensive cruise during the winter (we do a transatlantic in the odd years - always with pre-cruise stays in Europe).

On most of our cruises, the ship is our vacation - the ports are just extra bonuses -which is why we have cruised Celebrity since 1992 - so far it is a very good match for us.

On most of our cruises, the ship is our vacation - the ports are just extra bonuses -which is why we have cruised Celebrity since 1992 - so far it is a very good match for us.

We agree! For us the ship has become the destination. And the Solstice class ships are a very nice destination! :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is struggling to find something. I would love to do the Baltic itinerary - if only Celebrity had carried that on for the next cruise (Eclipse July 24th) and then done the cruises around the Med in August we would have had a choice.

It seems that schools in the UK have really tightened up in recent years and I just can't book holidays in term time. I'm not sure the execs at Celebrity realise this - or maybe they do and don't want too many children onboard?!

The Jewel looks a possibility and I am glad Princess seems a good alternative.

With children the ports of call matter to us as much as the ship. They would be bored just going back to the same places year on year, and so would we. Just hoping Celebrity learn that to do the same cruise itinerary for the whole 6 week summer holiday is pushing us to other cruise lines.

I am very happy that Celebrity decided to put a ship in the Caribbean for 7 day cruises in the summer. We would like to take a cruise for our anniversary in June, but we have been unable to do so as Celebrity has been in Alaska and Europe that month and since we are retired, we cannot afford those expensive itineraries every year. So we have had to skip the anniversary cruise and fit in our every other year inexpensive cruise during the winter (we do a transatlantic in the odd years - always with pre-cruise stays in Europe).

Be diligent and check the weather tendancies for the part of the Caribbean you will be sailing in the summer. That is the beginning of hurricane season. Although lately, most of the major storms are rolling thru in August September I would still be cautious and definitely check annual avg rainfall for your ports in June.

Be diligent and check the weather tendancies for the part of the Caribbean you will be sailing in the summer. That is the beginning of hurricane season. Although lately, most of the major storms are rolling thru in August September I would still be cautious and definitely check annual avg rainfall for your ports in June.

Hi,:) I live in this "Hurricane State" and you are correct, even

though it starts in June, they usually land in August/September.

Its one of the reasons cruises to the Caribbean are less

$$$ during that time~Hurricane Season brings down the price.

Lets hope this year is vewwwwyyyyy quiet.....

We really wanted to try one of the new ships on Celebrity for 2010 in the Med. The only thing that remotely excited us was an 11 day that was in the online brochure that by the time it was released for sale was down to an 8 day dropping two key ports for us. I totally understand them putting a ship in the Caribbean, but at least mix up your cruises a bit. I'll never understand the same ship doing the same itinerary 8 times. Would it kill them to mix it up a bit? Europe is a big place.

Let me chime in for the demise of the 14/15 day San Diego-Hawaii round trips. One of our favorite itineraries.

Regards

We just returned from a Hawaii Northbound Cruise...flew to Honolulu and cruised back to Vancouver Bc...Great 12 night cruise! We'd love to do the Hawaii Roundtrip from San Diego but Celebrity isn't doing those in 2010 or 2011!! Bad timing on their part. It would be Great if Celebrity could find a way to put Hawaii back in their schedule!!

ALSO...

We're tired of the "Same Old" Caribbean itineraries..want a different option for Jan/Feb 2011...hope Celebrity tunes up their 2011 itineraries too!

Come on Celebrity offer us some different Caribbean ports and longer cruises (14 nights)...Please!!

Pat :)

Hi, we were also booked on the Equinox and have now switched over to the Brilliance of the Seas. It gave us a bit of a scare initially as we had already booked our flights to Barcelona with QANTAS. However, whilst we were disappointed about not visiting Dubrovnik and Venice, it has turned out to better - we were married on 050505 in Florence and this will be our 5th wedding anniversary - and yes, we will be in Florence on the 5th May!! Look forward to keeping in contact.

I was REALLY dissapointed when Celebrity cancelled my Solstice/Holy Land for 2010 but VERY happy they replaced it with an Equinox itinerary. I was about to lose it. Actually, I like the new itinerary a little better so I guess it worked out. For me, anyway. I hope everyone gets situated/rebooked with the cancelled Solstice European fiasco.

Let me chime in for the demise of the 14/15 day San Diego-Hawaii round trips. One of our favorite itineraries.

Regards

We just returned from a Hawaii Northbound Cruise...flew to Honolulu and cruised back to Vancouver Bc...Great 12 night cruise! We'd love to do the Hawaii Roundtrip from San Diego but Celebrity isn't doing those in 2010 or 2011!! Bad timing on their part. It would be Great if Celebrity could find a way to put Hawaii back in their schedule!!

ALSO...

We're tired of the "Same Old" Caribbean itineraries..want a different option for Jan/Feb 2011...hope Celebrity tunes up their 2011 itineraries too!

Come on Celebrity offer us some different Caribbean ports and longer cruises (14 nights)...Please!!

Pat :)

HAL offers 15-Day Roundtrip Cruises from both San Diego and Vancouver!

On the flip side to the original post, I have been waiting years for Celebrity to put ships in the Caribbean during the summer months. I've been limited to

a) taking a celebrity cruise in the spring (which is tricky for me) or

b) booking another cruise line for a summer cruise.

I am also limited to summer cruising for the most part because of my daughter's school schedule.

This is one happy customer that will now be spending more $$$ on booking celebrity cruises.

I don't think it's really just about whether or not the Solstice is being taken away from Europe and moved to the Caribbean. To me, it is more about the use of the ships that are here, such as Eclipse, and Celebrity's understanding of national school holiday dates, of which their appears to be none. The creative use of ships during holiday times would immediately give customers more choice. P and O are doing this with their new ship Azura, sending it to both the Med and the Canaries during the six week summer break, thereby giving their customers a choice. It isn't difficult - that is my frustration!

Bremencat you won't be dissaponted with the Brilliance, I'd sail on her again anyday.

Same goes for the Jewel which I was going to book for this year on a British Isles/Fjords itinerary only they've pulled it for 2010 :(

I like Celebrity's Eclipse to Venice intinerary but I'm in the same situation re school holidays as everyone else and the dates are just not do able. We've booked October 2010 on Solstice/Equinox with one of the two weeks out of school holidays. I wouldn't normally book outside of school holdiays but 2010 is an exam free year for them all and probably the last big holiday we will all go on together.

LOL it's a logistical nightmare for us getting anywhere as I can't fly. We take overnight trains which are tiring and very long but great fun. But, I've had enough of them and after this next cruise I'm going to stick to cruises ex the UK. I just hope by then we get some new ports and better dates in the school holidays.

tom_uk... I've looked at the Canary Isles on RCI a couple of times but each time have ended up booking something else. We been to the Canaries lots of times (when I could fly) and I'm not sure about a cruise there. What are the ports/excursions like or did you do your own thing and find beaches? We are on the Cork Indy next week which will help me decide if it's for us.

Like you we have to do school holidays but I don't fly and we do overnight train to Barcelona, Venice, Rome etc. We did a Canaries cruise at Easter with P&O, but on cruising days we could rarely get on deck- we had some really shocking weather. We do enjoy sea days usually so maybe we were unlucky. As far as excursions are concerned there's really not a great deal to see although we really liked Madeira. It's possible to get to some of the beaches from various ports without too much trouble. Maybe in the sunshine it would all look much better but we definitely wouldn't do that cruise again.

Like you we have to do school holidays but I don't fly and we do overnight train to Barcelona, Venice, Rome etc. We did a Canaries cruise at Easter with P&O, but on cruising days we could rarely get on deck- we had some really shocking weather. We do enjoy sea days usually so maybe we were unlucky. As far as excursions are concerned there's really not a great deal to see although we really liked Madeira. It's possible to get to some of the beaches from various ports without too much trouble. Maybe in the sunshine it would all look much better but we definitely wouldn't do that cruise again.

Thanks, your reply is exactly why I keep choosing something else. We've had bad weather there too, the very last time we went (Gran Canaria in October) and it rained for the whole 2 weeks we were there. We were miserable and I vowed never to return. I must admit I'm a bit stretched to think what we would do in these ports, all I can think of is the beach and if the weather is iffy you are stuck. And as for sea days I guess the Atlantic is never going to be as calm as the Med. We'll stick to the Med I think!

It would be so much easier to sail from Southampton but the itineraries are the same every year. It would be great if RCI did something different with Indy, I like Rome and Naples but not every year! I'd love it if they went to the Eastern Med or t'other side of Italy, I don't mind sea days as long as it's sunny :)

Archived