RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

We are looking at booking a tour through Romeinlimo and would appreciate your suggestions or imput. It's our first trip to Naples and we definately want to go to Pompeii. But the question is do we do Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano Tour which is a 9 hour tour OR do we opt for the Sorrento, Pompeii and Island Capri Tour which is a 6 hour tour with DIY on Capri and ferry ride back. Pros/Cons, Useful advice I need? Thank you!

RIL only makes sense IMHO if you do Pompeii and the coast. After some research as nice as Capri is I thought the coast drive and stops were going to be unique. It was a very long day of driving but we found the views and stops alone the coast timeless. A few that did Rome and Florence with us at this port DIY and enjoyed Capri, so I think it comes down to personal preference. I know eveyrone in our party were happy we choose the coast.

PROs you see Amalfi Coast and Pompeii IMHO the iconic things here.

Minus: Its a lot of driving.

We are looking at booking a tour through Romeinlimo and would appreciate your suggestions or imput. It's our first trip to Naples and we definately want to go to Pompeii. But the question is do we do Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano Tour which is a 9 hour tour OR do we opt for the Sorrento, Pompeii and Island Capri Tour which is a 6 hour tour with DIY on Capri and ferry ride back. Pros/Cons, Useful advice I need? Thank you!

We used RIL in October when we were in Italy. Our driver picked us up at our apartment in Rome and went to Pompeii, where we hired a tour private guide. Our RIL driver (Nick) then took us to Sorrento and where we had a great lunch, shopped a bit and then drove some of the Amalfi Coast road. We had a great time! However, we wish we would have done Capri.

My wife and I used Romeinlimo for the second time last month in Rome for both transfers from the airport to port and an afternoon to Ostia Antica. On time, professional, and very knowledgeable. Would not consider anyone else due to the customization and dependability. There is much to see in Italy and they have always made it special.

Can you PLEASE tell me more about your Ostia Antica tour?

Can you PLEASE tell me more about your Ostia Antica tour?

I have also done Ostia Antica with a combination of airport transfer. It's a great ancient, harbor city. It's a very interesting archaeological site. We took a few hours and wandered around the area and then were transferred to the airport. I think it's a site that gets overlooked quite a lot and it was very convenient for us to see after the cruise ended.

A typical lunch can cost as little as 5 euros or...it can really be an Italian lunch lasting over an hour and a half or two and costing 50 euros per person.

The real key to your lunch, especially with RomeinLimo is to email them and ask them about lunch, where they could take you and about how much you wish to spend (say, 20 euros per person including drinks).

Our driver/guide took us to his neighborhood restaurant and had the owner prepare a "tasting" lunch for 20 euros each and it was wonderful. We had a little bite of many things, family style. Oh, there were 6 of us and it took 1 1/2 hrs.

Communicating your wishes and desires with RomeinLimo is the key. They always respond to you emails and will gladly make suggestions. They are great folks and will do whatever you want to make your day a memorable one.

Well now, that's a difficult question to answer! What do you like to eat? Italian restaurants don't often do "lunch" per se, it's mostly the same menu as dinner So you can order antipasto, primo, secondo, and dolce, (can be €40 and up for the full whack) or you can just have one or two of those courses. (maybe €8-20 per course) If you just have a panino in a bar, it should only cost a few Euro, or a slice of pizza from the pizza al taglio places should also be fairly cheap.

I've never found it difficult to get just about whatever I'm in the mood for, no matter what time of day it is in Rome. There are so many different restaurants and so many cater to the tourist that their menus are varied and reasonable.

Last year with Romeinlimo we ate on the outskirts of the ancient center. It was a wonderful lunch. There have been other years we have just asked to have a few hours to ourselves to wander and eat on our own. They will make any suggestion that you are wanting for your experience. If you wanted to see more sights and not waste as much time eating, they have a suggestion for that also.

We are doing a Romeinlimo tour and wondered what a typical lunch costs?:rolleyes:

If you tell your driver/guide how much you want to spend and what kind of food you might want they will most likely be able to take you to a restaurant that will suit your needs. Everyone at RIL is helpful and go out of their way to take care of you.

We used RIL last November for 5 days - Rome, Florence, Tuscany (Siena, San Gimignanao), Sorrento and Pompeii (they arranged a private guide for our group of 6 for Pompeii) and another day we did Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. All our guides were excellent and made our tours great. We saw all the highlights of these places and Jany was so helpful in helping us arrange everything. Would definitely use them again for any trips in Italy. Have recommended them to several friends who are going in the next few months and know they will have a wonderful time with the RIL guides.

I just wish my roll call was more active in sharing tours. It is like extracting teeth. I would love to use ril in Rome but no one wants to do anything. There are only four groups participating so far. And I can't pay 450€ for the two of us. :(

Edited by Pushka

I just wish my roll call was more active in sharing tours. It is like extracting teeth. I would love to use ril in Rome but no one wants to do anything. There are only four groups participating so far. And I can't pay 450€ for the two of us. :(

I would email RIL and see if they have a group tour that day that you could join. I think I read here somewhere that they do that, and it sure couldn't hurt to ask. They are a great company to work with and am sure would advise you of what your options might be. Good Luck!!:)

I would email RIL and see if they have a group tour that day that you could join. I think I read here somewhere that they do that, and it sure couldn't hurt to ask. They are a great company to work with and am sure would advise you of what your options might be. Good Luck!!:)

That's a good idea. Ill let you know how I go. Thankyou!

If you create a tour with RIL, they will put it on their site for others to see from your ship. You may get people that are not on Cruise Critic but other people from the ship, who happen to be looking for tours. Take a look at: www.romeinlimotoursharing.com

:)

With over 1600 posts to search through, I tried to find this info but wasn't successful:

We're four adults considering going to Florence from Livorno. Two of us are larger than the recommended weight for our ages (:D). For a 90 minute drive, how crowded would a sedan be? I'm guessing it would be three across in the back seat, which can be a bit uncomfortable for the person in the middle. Would we be more comfortable in a mini-van, which is what we always ended up with on our Baltic cruise?

Thanks!

With over 1600 posts to search through, I tried to find this info but wasn't successful:

We're four adults considering going to Florence from Livorno. Two of us are larger than the recommended weight for our ages (:D). For a 90 minute drive, how crowded would a sedan be? I'm guessing it would be three across in the back seat, which can be a bit uncomfortable for the person in the middle. Would we be more comfortable in a mini-van, which is what we always ended up with on our Baltic cruise?

Thanks!

Why not put one of the larger passengers in the front seat and that leaves 2 of the smaller with the larger in the back. Sure it will be tight. They are just regular midsize cars so it's up to you to figure out if you want to be that close to someone else. If you are that large (no offense intended) then yes, you'd want a bigger car. Both my DH and I are on the fluffy side - ok I'm fluffy, he's past that... and it would have been tight having a kid between us in the car for that long of a time. There would be no wiggle room.

Thanks!

Email Jany at RIL and request a van. Be ccomfortable and enjoy the ride.

Have fun!

Email Jany at RIL and request a van. Be ccomfortable and enjoy the ride.

Have fun!

Why not put one of the larger passengers in the front seat and that leaves 2 of the smaller with the larger in the back. Sure it will be tight. They are just regular midsize cars so it's up to you to figure out if you want to be that close to someone else. If you are that large (no offense intended) then yes, you'd want a bigger car. Both my DH and I are on the fluffy side - ok I'm fluffy, he's past that... and it would have been tight having a kid between us in the car for that long of a time. There would be no wiggle room.

Thanks! We have decided to ask for a mini-van, which turns out to be only 50 euro more (about $14 each). I'm never comfortable with three people squeezed into the back seat, even for short rides, so your advice, and the minimal cost, makes it seem like the thing to do. Besides, I think the view would be better for everyone in a mini-van.

Thanks!

I agree... go with a van. You can always try and get another couple if you want on your Roll Call. I definitely would not want to ride around all day in a sedan. It is a fantastic tour though! Enjoy!

I also think a van is a better way to go just from the viewing angle. Up a little higher and they are roomier. Believe me, I am on the large side of the human race and I have always been comfortable in RIL's vans. You're going to love this tour.

Email Jany at RIL and request a van. Be ccomfortable and enjoy the ride. Have fun!

I agree... go with a van. You can always try and get another couple if you want on your Roll Call. I definitely would not want to ride around all day in a sedan. It is a fantastic tour though! Enjoy!

I also think a van is a better way to go just from the viewing angle. Up a little higher and they are roomier. Believe me, I am on the large side of the human race and I have always been comfortable in RIL's vans. You're going to love this tour.

As it turns out, we'll be booking with Romeinlimo for both the Rome and the Florence/Pisa tours. Booking multiple tours gains us a 50 euro discount on each tour. This just happens to be the extra cost for the minivan. So, we get the minivan for the same price as the sedan. What a deal!

Thanks to all of you for your advice!

Edited by boogs

As it turns out, we'll be booking with Romeinlimo for both the Rome and the Florence/Pisa tours. Booking multiple tours gains us a 50 euro discount on each tour. This just happens to be the extra cost for the minivan. So, we get the minivan for the same price as the sedan. What a deal!

Thanks to all of you for your advice!

Awesome. So glad that worked out for you!

You are going to love touring with Romeinlimo. They are simply the best.

I can't imagine trying to see as much as we did without them. Their impeccable service spoiled us.

I wish there were "clones" of RIL for the British Isles ports.:)

Have a fabulous time in Italy!

We are getting ready for our 2nd visit to Rome and are using RIL again. We've had to change our plans for our 3 days several times and each time Jany has been wonderful to work with. It's little things like this that make it a "no brainer" when we considered who we wanted to use for our visit this year. Last year when our plane was 3 hours late and we didn't know if our ride would be there how wonderful it was to see him waiting even after the long long delay...

Their guides are knowledgeable, drivers are excellent(and that's no small feat if you've ever been on the streets of Rome!) and they are on time every time.

I know this sounds like a cheerleader, and it is...but I like to acknowledge great service when it is provided and RIL certainly provides it.

We can't wait for our 2012 visit!!:)

Edited by Gracie115

boogs: so glad it worked out for you. Anything is possible when dealing with RIL and with Jany! I am sure you will have a memorable visit in Italy bu using RIL.

bobalink:

well said, I agree with everything you said. I have used RIL for several years and cannot say enough good about them. I am a "cheerleader" for them also, and it is well deserved. I wish they had clones in Greece, Turkey, France, Spain etc etc and in the UK. I have never found any as good, most certainly none better.

Enjoy Italy.

Ciao :)