RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

boogs: so glad it worked out for you. Anything is possible when dealing with RIL and with Jany! I am sure you will have a memorable visit in Italy bu using RIL.

Thanks!!!

Everything has been confirmed as of yesterday! We are also hiring the services of a private guide for the four of us in Rome and in Florence (union rules in Italy don't allow driver/guides to lead tours away from their vehicle). Because we also booked the driver and car, there is a discount for the guide as well. This discount reduces the cost of the guide from 65 Euro per hour to 50 Euro per hour, a savings of 120 Euro for both tours.

Total cost is 1,400 Euro for both tours with guide, about $1,850. This compares to the $1,544 it would cost us to take the ship's bus tours that take 40+ people to the same, but not all, places as the RIL tours. More expensive, but more personalized, more efficient, and completely flexible. Plus, we'll be able to climb to the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, which is on my "bucket list", and the ship's tour does not.

Edited by boogs

If you create a tour with RIL, they will put it on their site for others to see from your ship. You may get people that are not on Cruise Critic but other people from the ship, who happen to be looking for tours. Take a look at: www.romeinlimotoursharing.com

:)

Ok, so I have now created two tours through RIL for Rome and Livorno. I did manage to have one tour (with a different company) organised for Naples, so I will be able to compare the two when we get back.

Fingers crossed we can proceed - currently just the two of us which we will need to cancel if we dont get some others to join.

For those of you how have shared a tour, is it a problem for a couple or family to sit together? It seems someone in the group gets split up. Which do you prefer best 6 passenger or a 8 passenger van?

Another query. My roll call is pretty much dead and I keep talking to myself on it. I have created two RIL tours and if worst comes to the worst, I will need to cancel ONE of them and do the ships DIY tours. And keep one as a couple tour. I do have a private tour for Naples/Positano, which is good.

So, my question is, which would you keep? Rome (Vatican/Colosseum) or Livorno (Pisa/Florence). I haven't been to either cities before so really don't know. I can think of reasons why/why not for doing either.

Help?:confused::p

Another query. My roll call is pretty much dead and I keep talking to myself on it. I have created two RIL tours and if worst comes to the worst, I will need to cancel ONE of them and do the ships DIY tours. And keep one as a couple tour. I do have a private tour for Naples/Positano, which is good.

So, my question is, which would you keep? Rome (Vatican/Colosseum) or Livorno (Pisa/Florence). I haven't been to either cities before so really don't know. I can think of reasons why/why not for doing either.

Help?:confused::p

Have you looked into the " share tour" portion of the RiL website?

Ok, so I have now created two tours through RIL for Rome and Livorno. I did manage to have one tour (with a different company) organised for Naples, so I will be able to compare the two when we get back.

Fingers crossed we can proceed - currently just the two of us which we will need to cancel if we dont get some others to join.

Pushka... one of the things I do, that all of my Roll Call can attest to, is I post the tour opening on every page possible. Some days I don't have time to play on Cruise Critic and I may miss a page, but I make sure that I post as often as possible with tour openings. There are many new people that will join and most will not bother with reading through 100s of pages (our Roll Call is almost 2,000 posts) and I don't blame them. I wouldn't! So, I just keep it out there for anyone interested.

Never been to Europe, but from what I have read and if I had to choose one, I would go with the Rome tour :) JMO

Happy Cruising........

DonnaF :D

Pushka... one of the things I do, that all of my Roll Call can attest to, is I post the tour opening on every page possible. Some days I don't have time to play on Cruise Critic and I may miss a page, but I make sure that I post as often as possible with tour openings. There are many new people that will join and most will not bother with reading through 100s of pages (our Roll Call is almost 2,000 posts) and I don't blame them. I wouldn't! So, I just keep it out there for anyone interested.

Yes, l look with envy when I see 2000 posts in a thread. My roll call doesn't change page from week to week as I am the only one posting at the moment. :( so the page hasn't even turned yet.

Yes, l look with envy when I see 2000 posts in a thread. My roll call doesn't change page from week to week as I am the only one posting at the moment. :( so the page hasn't even turned yet.

Ooh, I'm so sorry.:( What ship and sail date are you on? Did you check out Romeinlimo's tour share site? I have heard there is some success there.

Yes, last year it was really busy. But 2012 very quiet. Sailing on 21st July. Maybe not many US people travelling to Europe (assuming they are the most active CC people) and the Olympics start during the cruise so probably expensive for them to fly. Its expensive for us Aussies too but we are used to it. I have posted the tours on RIL share excursion site and those seem to do well but nothing for us yet.

I have to cancel by 1st July as we leave for Europe then and don't want to get stuck with an expensive tour for the 2 of us because I won't have internet access. I am thinking of doing the RIL Rome tour and cancelling the Livorno one.

Yes, last year it was really busy. But 2012 very quiet. Sailing on 21st July. Maybe not many US people travelling to Europe (assuming they are the most active CC people) and the Olympics start during the cruise so probably expensive for them to fly. Its expensive for us Aussies too but we are used to it. I have posted the tours on RIL share excursion site and those seem to do well but nothing for us yet.

I have to cancel by 1st July as we leave for Europe then and don't want to get stuck with an expensive tour for the 2 of us because I won't have internet access. I am thinking of doing the RIL Rome tour and cancelling the Livorno one.

Well, don't cancel until them... you never know. Keep your Roll Call up near the top of RCCL's page and maybe you'll get some late arrivals. Our cruise has had SOOOO many last minute people. The pricedrops on our cruise have been incredible and we've had lots of last minute people join. Unfortunately for most of them, the vans have been sold out. Keep trying! Don't cancel yet :)

I have been looking at Norwegian Epic role call too just in case one of those people might be interested, but that is another paralysed thread:(

Well, I might have companions for the Livorno tour now, the same couple who are joining us for Naples.

Is there time to climb Pisa on the combined Pisa Florence Tour? RIL have said to get Accademia tickets for 12.30 and Pisa is first on the list. The other couple are interested in climbing it, and if so, my husband might join them.

We (me, wife & two sons) have an all day RIL Rome tour in June and are scheduled to visit the Vatican at 2:00 P.M. Does anyone know if there will be an opportunity to change into "Vatican-appropriate" attire sometime during our tour before we arrive at the Vatican? I'm not talking about getting all "gussied up", but just changing into long pants, and I guess my wife would want to know if she'll be able to change her top, I suppose.

Prior to that, we kinda wanted to be able to wear shorts, etc. and be comfortable. Thanks.

We (me, wife & two sons) have an all day RIL Rome tour in June and are scheduled to visit the Vatican at 2:00 P.M. Does anyone know if there will be an opportunity to change into "Vatican-appropriate" attire sometime during our tour before we arrive at the Vatican? I'm not talking about getting all "gussied up", but just changing into long pants, and I guess my wife would want to know if she'll be able to change her top, I suppose.

Prior to that, we kinda wanted to be able to wear shorts, etc. and be comfortable. Thanks.

My hubby recently trekked to India and purchased lightweight travel pants that unzip to shorts. They are very comfortable and lightweight. I think your wife could simply take a lightweight shawl or pashmina to wrap around while in the Vatican. On the other hand, RIL are very accommodating so if you really wanted to change they could suggest somewhere but I am thinking it will be a public bathroom. Us? If I was changing in a public toilet in Rome I know I would find that s bit stressful and hot and would probably lose or forget something or something would get pinched!:eek:

We went to the Vatican just after lunch. So pop into the bathroom at the restaurant and change before you go.

That is a very simple and reasonable request. Just ask your driver and they will accommodate your request. The drivers from RIL are very willing to help you in any way they can.

Enjoy!

Nice to know its not just us. We have an October cruise and the roll call right now consists of 2 couples and one family..

Hopefully things will improve.

Well, don't cancel until them... you never know. Keep your Roll Call up near the top of RCCL's page and maybe you'll get some late arrivals. Our cruise has had SOOOO many last minute people. The pricedrops on our cruise have been incredible and we've had lots of last minute people join. Unfortunately for most of them, the vans have been sold out. Keep trying! Don't cancel yet :)

RIL have a tour share service

http://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com

We´ve made use of this for our trip in May 2012

sandy in Spain