HELP! Thinking of trying Hal's Zuiderdam

Christapie

So fellow cruisers, I have now been on 7 cruises only with Princess. Have loved each and every one of them. Hubby wants to try Panama Canal On the Zuiderdam in Jan. 2010.

I love the Princess ships, the food etc...

But, I have nothing to compare it to. So help me out here,

Thank you, Christapie

We sailed in an SS suite (the one by the bump out, which gave us a great balcony) on the Zuiderdam when it was quite new. Nice ship, very nice stateroom.

At that time there was pretty much only assigned dining, but the diningroom was lovely. We had a table for two on the second level next to the glass enclosed railing. Food was good, we didn't consider it exceptional, but it was good.

Shows were also very nice, because they were so different to us (we had seen all the shows on princess).

I don't think you will have a problem one sailing on the 'Z'! Enjoy!

Go for it! We are trying the Zuiderdam this July to Alaska. The threads on the HAL board are starting to come in about the Zuiderdam Alaska cruises now. They seem very good.

You never will know what you might be missing until you try it. We have cruise with Princess, Celebrity, and HAL (upcoming) trying to decide which cruise line we like the best. So far, we like them all.

While Princess is my mainstay, I have thoroughly enjoyed my trips on Holland America. But remember that the Zuiderdam is their entry into more family oriented trips, and a trip on the Zuiderdam, is not quite the same as on other HA ships, but that is not a negative at all. Service Food , and attitude is exceptional. The main difference is simply the demographics of your fellow passengers.

While Princess is my mainstay, I have thoroughly enjoyed my trips on Holland America. But remember that the Zuiderdam is their entry into more family oriented trips, and a trip on the Zuiderdam, is not quite the same as on other HA ships, but that is not a negative at all. Service Food , and attitude is exceptional. The main difference is simply the demographics of your fellow passengers.

I have to agree with this statement. When we sailed on the Zuiderdam, expecting a much older crowd, we were amazed at the young families onboard. In fact, we still laugh about it as it was the only ship we have ever sailed on where there was a stroller line up outside the diningroom each evening. Yes, all along the wall to the entrance were dozens of baby strollers.

BUT, this was a 7 day Caribbean Cruise in the middle of the summer, which I am sure had a great deal to do with the passenger age onboard. ;)

HI Christopie,

I have also been looking at Panama Canal for January, 2010, and it is coming down to the Island Princess or the Zuiderdam. Right now the Zuiderdam is pricing lower, although we are patient and are waiting to see if Princess prices come down. Perhaps it is just too far out at this point.

I sailed the Zuiderdam about five or six years ago and we were very pleased, however since that time we have been sailing pretty much all on Princess, so can't give a recent comparison.

Our cruise on Zuiderdam was about the worst cruise we have experienced. Too many things went wrong, and nobody seemed able, or even inclined, to put them right.

A shame, because there were a few things that were done better than Princess. Overall, though, we were very disappointed.

We did the Zuiderdam to Alaska three years ago and found the ship and crew to be fantastic.

While I'd gladly sail HAL again, there are a few differences between them and Princess, notably entertainment. There will not be the variety of choices that there are in the evenings on Princess. There's an evening show, some music in the lounges, and a disco, and that's about it. If you're fine with that, and happy just sitting back and taking in some live music, you'll have no problems. If you need a little more stimulation....maybe.

Wow everyone. Thanks for the info here. Yes I saw the prices lower on Hal as well and was inwardly hoping that Princess would do the same. I did like the itinerary on the Zuiderdam vs the Island. We've never been to Aruba and I wasn't thrilled about going to Jamaica on Princess again. Aparently the Zuiderdam was refurbished in 2008, so that was a plus on that side.

So here I go back and forth, I guess we should just try it!

Any other comparisions about the food in the dining rooms would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again, Christapie

I've now done three longer cruises with HAL (totalling about 68 days) and overall, my HAL experience has been comparable to Princess. I don't think the beds, food, cabin stewards or waitstaff are any better on HAL in spite of what you might have heard but overall, we've had some wonderful cruises.

There are some things HAL does better that I like: full menu room service for breakfast, lunch or dinner which is great for tour days and hot hors d'oeurves in the lounges in the late afternoon and evening. I also like their itineraries and the size of their ships. On the other hand, their past passenger loyalty perks suck in comparison to Princess': you get a pin and if you've cruised enough, you get a big, heavy medal to wear like an Olympic medal. Big whoop. :) Oh, and you get a luncheon.

My friend and I are booked on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise in March 2010 and we're looking forward to it.

But then I took an older ship to alaska a few years ago. Less variety. Did not think the Seafood was even close to Princess quality.The Steaks were good but you could not get them every night.They had a chocolate desert buffet one night with hardly any chocolate.

I would not Sail on Holland again. friend just came back fro a Celebrity Cruise and said Princess food was way better. go fugure. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

But then I took an older ship to alaska a few years ago. Less variety. Did not think the Seafood was even close to Princess quality.The Steaks were good but you could not get them every night.They had a chocolate desert buffet one night with hardly any chocolate.

I would not Sail on Holland again. friend just came back fro a Celebrity Cruise and said Princess food was way better. go fugure. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Food is horribly subjective. If you ask one person here what his/her favorite food is, it might be a Big Mac. Someone else might say foie gras.

Asking someone about food quality is a little like asking a blind man to describe the colour red to you.

I did HAL Panama Canal last Christmas. I had a great trip. My DD17 loves the teenage program. The beds are great and I like having a DVD in the cabin. However, I personally like the Italian influence of Princess food better than the Dutch influence on HAL. I also have been to high school productions better than HAL's production shows. I prefer Princess, but will travel HAL.

We just did the 10 day Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam in December and everything was just great. Ship, food, service was all excellent. And I still like the beds on HAL much better than on Princess. We always need an egg crate on the bed on Princess ships.

Alice

I have sailed once on HAL - about 16 months ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I say go for it!

I much preferred HAL's beds to Princess's and preferred the cabins overall to Princess.

I liked the buffet on HAL better and preferred the breakfasts in the dining room on HAL. I preferred Princess's dinner in the dining room though.

I preferred the smaller ship size on HAL.

Both lines are good and I think the lines are pretty comparable. Princess wins some and HAL wins some and in the end, they are both great cruise lines.

Thanks folks. As always I appreciate these responses. I respect many of the people's ideas and input on this board. I will book Hal tomorrow.

See you on Jan. 2 2010 on the Zuiderdam.

Christapie

P.S. Was trying to get to Elite status, but it will just have to wait a few more cruises.

I think you will be happy with your choice. I prefer Princess, but HAL has a quality product. The Lido buffet is the best cruiseline buffet I have tasted. Lots of different stations: pasta, chinese, traditional, dessert etc. The staterooms are very nice.

Not as many pools and you will have to create your own late night fun, but an enjoyable cruise.

I have to agree with this statement. When we sailed on the Zuiderdam, expecting a much older crowd, we were amazed at the young families onboard. In fact, we still laugh about it as it was the only ship we have ever sailed on where there was a stroller line up outside the diningroom each evening. Yes, all along the wall to the entrance were dozens of baby strollers.

BUT, this was a 7 day Caribbean Cruise in the middle of the summer, which I am sure had a great deal to do with the passenger age onboard. ;)

Our experience was the exact opposite. We sailed on Zuiderdam (DS, aged 10 or 11 at the time and myself) shortly after its launch because my parents were -- and still are -- die-hard HAL fans and we wanted to cruise together. It sounded like a good compromise. But we found very few kids/families aboard. DS spent most of his time with us (has never happened on Princess). My parents don't care about evening entertainment, but at night I found little to do after the main show was over.

It's funny in a way: my parents didn't really enjoy the cruise that much because it wasn't the "typical" HAL product, and we didn't enjoy it that much either...

I would cruise HAL again on my own, but not with DS.

Our experience was the exact opposite. We sailed on Zuiderdam (DS, aged 10 or 11 at the time and myself) shortly after its launch because my parents were

I wonder if the key here is "shortly after its launch" as I didn't find the demographics any different between Princess and HAL for the week I was sailing (of course this can change weekly). We did see a lot of families onboard and the kids seem to be having a good time from what I could tell.

I do remember right after the launch, HAL diehards were disappointed with the direction HAL was going with the new ships.

I wonder if the key here is "shortly after its launch" as I didn't find the demographics any different between Princess and HAL for the week I was sailing (of course this can change weekly). We did see a lot of families onboard and the kids seem to be having a good time from what I could tell.

I do remember right after the launch, HAL diehards were disappointed with the direction HAL was going with the new ships.

You are probably right on that! As I said, I'd try HAL again if I travel solo, but DS has definitely said no HAL for him.

You are probably right on that! As I said, I'd try HAL again if I travel solo, but DS has definitely said no HAL for him.

I don't blame you. I have cruised a few lines that I really should try again but am gun shy after a bad experience. When you are spending $$$$, one tends to go with what one knows they will like.

My mom has a disability and is treated like royalty on Princess. I really would like her to try HAL but after some negative experiences on Celebrity and RCCL - she just wants to stay with Princess. She knows exactly what she is getting with Princess.

I've sailed the Zuiderdam, twice. Also recently on the Caribbean Princess. There were things I liked better about HAL and others I liked better on Princess.

I liked the beds and aft balconies MUCH better on HAL. I liked the closet arrangement better on Princess.

I liked availabilty of dinner in the HOrizon court much better on Princess, I liked the set up of the lido buffet much better on HAL. I also appreciated being able to order full breakfast and off the diner menu for room service on HAL.

I liked the thermal suite much more on the zuiderdam. I liked the outdoor adult only pools on Princess. I also liked MUTS on princess.

I thought the zuiderdam was easier to navigate, but found her decore a bit 'gaudy'.

I traveled both ships during EAster break and even though both were over a major school break, there were way more kids on the Zuiderdam. Twice as many, and the zuiderdam doesn't have adult pools to escape to unless you pay for the T-pool. However; my guess is that the embarkation port of San Juan had more to do with fewer children than did the cruise line itself.

I can think of no reason not to book either line and would sail on either depending on price.

Enjoy!

Cheryl :)

I've sailed the Zuiderdam, twice. Also recently on the Caribbean Princess. There were things I liked better about HAL and others I liked better on Princess.

I liked the beds and aft balconies MUCH better on HAL. I liked the closet arrangement better on Princess.

I liked availabilty of dinner in the HOrizon court much better on Princess, I liked the set up of the lido buffet much better on HAL. I also appreciated being able to order full breakfast and off the diner menu for room service on HAL.

I liked the thermal suite much more on the zuiderdam. I liked the outdoor adult only pools on Princess. I also liked MUTS on princess.

I thought the zuiderdam was easier to navigate, but found her decore a bit 'gaudy'.

I traveled both ships during EAster break and even though both were over a major school break, there were way more kids on the Zuiderdam. Twice as many, and the zuiderdam doesn't have adult pools to escape to unless you pay for the T-pool. However; my guess is that the embarkation port of San Juan had more to do with fewer children than did the cruise line itself.

I can think of no reason not to book either line and would sail on either depending on price.

Enjoy!

Cheryl :)

Thanks Cheryl. I think that the price is swaying me enough to try Hal. I love Princess and have never been disapointed, but I want to try something different. I am a pool and hot tub person, so I hope it lives up to Princess on that.

Christapie

Archived