Shorts allowed in one main dining room

coffeebean

I have a question that may seem stupid, but so be it ! I need to know before I pack my bags !

Going on the POA on June 13 (honeymoon yay!) and I was hoping to wear a few of my dresses (not ballgowns!) to dinner as it is our honeymoon after all, and I want to look nice for my new husband! But, as tank tops are not allowed, are sleeve-less dresses tolerated (either strapless or with thin straps)?

Thanks !

Would you have done the same if it were a woman in a sleeveless shirt/blouse? I've seen that many times in dining rooms and even fine restaurants.

I would probably not complain if it was a woman. But let me ask this: Is it OK for women to be "topless" at the pool because men are?

Part of the problem with NCL's dress code is that it is not clear what the rule against "tanktops" is supposed to prevent. I suppose NCL doesn't want their policy to APPEAR to be "gender specific," even though that's probably want is intended (ie: it is a rule against MEN in tanktops). For example, I see no reason to ban tubetops on women if you aren't also going to ban strapless gowns or sun dresses.

(Parenthetically, I've noted that some country clubs ask women in strapless gowns to wear a shawl when in the dining room. And acceptable blouses for women are often defined as sleeveless OR collarless, but not both.)

If NCL wanted a rule that wasn't gender specific, perhaps they should ban "athletic wear" in the dining rooms, and then further define that tanktops, shorts, soiled t-shirts, etc., are considered to be "athletic."

Is it OK for women to be "topless" at the pool because men are?

It wouldn't bother me; most pools and beaches in europe are just like that.

But my real point is, what is the point of a gender specific dress code that says, for example, that women can wear short pants and/or sleevless shirts while men cannot? Obviously since you said you would be bothered by a man in a sleeveless shirt, but not a woman, means you see some sort of a difference.

And for what it's worth, NCL can put whatever dress code it wants on its ships; I just wonder what the rationale is.

Haven't seen this mentioned before' date=' coffeebean. Maybe they're more relaxed on the short cruises?

Can't wait to hear all about it. Did you meet up again with the CD Matt Baker? I know how much you were looking forward to sailing with him.:D

Do tell all![/quote']

I hope that is why they allowed it.

Nita

But my real point is, what is the point of a gender specific dress code that says, for example, that women can wear short pants and/or sleevless shirts while men cannot? Obviously since you said you would be bothered by a man in a sleeveless shirt, but not a woman, means you see some sort of a difference.

Hmmm... Well, if you are accusing me of bearing some kind of gender-based clothing bias based on the society and culture I grew up in (western United States, not Europe), then I plead guilty! :-)

And, meanwhile, I doubt we will ever see a restaurant dress code (other than "no shoes, no shirt, no service") that is completely "unisex" in nature.

I hope that is why they allowed it.

Nita

The recent thread on a poster that just got back from the Spirit on a 7 day Bermuda said they allowed shorts at dinner in the Garden Restaurant which is one of the MDR's. I see a pattern forming.

And, meanwhile, I doubt we will ever see a restaurant dress code (other than "no shoes, no shirt, no service") that is completely "unisex" in nature.

I'm surprised no one has tested "no shoes, no shirt, no service" signs.......

by wearing shoes and a shirt, but not wearing any pants.........:eek::D:eek::D

Which just goes to show that all dress code rules have loopholes. The key is not to read their intent literally.

It wouldn't bother me; most pools and beaches in europe are just like that.

And for what it's worth, NCL can put whatever dress code it wants on its ships; I just wonder what the rationale is.

I would think the rationale is perfectly obvious unless people just want to be obtuse. Most people do not really want to see hairy or non hairy men in wife beater T shirts and ball caps in the dining room while trying to have a nice dinner.

Personally I don't want to see that nor do I want to see girls in tube tops, no bra and hot pants there either. Neither is ever appropriate in that particular enviornment.

Those are the situations that NCL is trying to avoid, but to word it so as to offend no one, but it doesn't work.

I wish they would state these things clearly for the lowest common denominator, because that is in fact who they are talking too, and then enfoce what they say.

My husband was adament that he wanted to wear shorts to dinner one night on our Pearl cruise in January :rolleyes:.

We went to a couple of restaurants and they would not seat him... I was fine with my slacks and nice top and they'd let me in but not him unless he changed to slacks. I was ready to ditch him and eat dinner by myself when he decided to go to the cabin and change :D.

I don't know what it is about NCL and his not wanting to dress up because he's doesn't have a problem with dressing properly on Carnival :confused:.

My husband was adament that he wanted to wear shorts to dinner one night on our Pearl cruise in January :rolleyes:.

We went to a couple of restaurants and they would not seat him... I was fine with my slacks and nice top and they'd let me in but not him unless he changed to slacks. I was ready to ditch him and eat dinner by myself when he decided to go to the cabin and change :D.

I don't know what it is about NCL and his not wanting to dress up because he's doesn't have a problem with dressing properly on Carnival :confused:.

Our cruise two weeks ago was the same no shorts for dinner no exceptions and jeans only in one MDR. From cruisers in the last week it looks like things have changed. I like to dress up some for dinner. I don't dress up for dinner at home or dress up much at work so it is a nice difference IMHO

Our cruise two weeks ago was the same no shorts for dinner no exceptions and jeans only in one MDR. From cruisers in the last week it looks like things have changed. I like to dress up some for dinner. I don't dress up for dinner at home or dress up much at work so it is a nice difference IMHO

I'm with you, I like to dress up a bit for dinner on cruises...slacks in my case, anyway, since I'm hideous in skirts or dresses :o. Yesterday while shopping I tried on a dress with cruising in mind. Unfortunately, it had the "perfect" shade of green to go with what I'm always calling myself - Mrs. Shrek...yep, yesterday I was the correct color:eek. Needless to say, I passed on the dress - though now I'm thinking about it, it would be great for a Halloween costume :D

Sssssshhh :), maybe if we're very quiet about the dress code changing, hubby won't find out - or I'm sunk on getting hubby into dress slacks :eek::D.

I'm with you, I like to dress up a bit for dinner on cruises...slacks in my case, anyway, since I'm hideous in skirts or dresses :o. Yesterday while shopping I tried on a dress with cruising in mind. Unfortunately, it had the "perfect" shade of green to go with what I'm always calling myself - Mrs. Shrek...yep, yesterday I was the correct color:eek. Needless to say, I passed on the dress - though now I'm thinking about it, it would be great for a Halloween costume :D

Sssssshhh :), maybe if we're very quiet about the dress code changing, hubby won't find out - or I'm sunk on getting hubby into dress slacks :eek::D.

I have do pack for hubby so that he doesn't put nothing but shorts and tshirts in his luggage LOL. He usually wears khaki slacks and a hawaiian shirt for dinner while cruising.

I would think the rationale is perfectly obvious unless people just want to be obtuse. Most people do not really want to see hairy or non hairy men in wife beater T shirts and ball caps in the dining room while trying to have a nice dinner.

Personally I don't want to see that nor do I want to see girls in tube tops, no bra and hot pants there either. Neither is ever appropriate in that particular enviornment.

Those are the situations that NCL is trying to avoid, but to word it so as to offend no one, but it doesn't work.

I wish they would state these things clearly for the lowest common denominator, because that is in fact who they are talking too, and then enfoce what they say.

I agree entirely with your comments.

The recent thread on a poster that just got back from the Spirit on a 7 day Bermuda said they allowed shorts at dinner in the Garden Restaurant which is one of the MDR's. I see a pattern forming.

Maybe I missed something, but I only saw one post from a Bermuda Spirit passenger that said they had seen one person wearing shorts one night. The other posts from Spirit passengers who saw more passengers wearing shorts were from cruises prior to the Bermuda season. Was the Spirit cruising from New Orleans prior to the Boston-Bermuda season ? If so, I have a possible explanation. NCL has a history of more liberal dress codes on its cruises from southern ports. For example, a couple of years ago when they were still offering cruises from Houston, NCL was not prohibiting jeans in any dining room, while its cruises from other ports did not allow jeans at dinner.

Maybe I missed something, but I only saw one post from a Bermuda Spirit passenger that said they had seen one person wearing shorts one night. The other posts from Spirit passengers who saw more passengers wearing shorts were from cruises prior to the Bermuda season. Was the Spirit cruising from New Orleans prior to the Boston-Bermuda season ? If so, I have a possible explanation. NCL has a history of more liberal dress codes on its cruises from southern ports. For example, a couple of years ago when they were still offering cruises from Houston, NCL was not prohibiting jeans in any dining room, while its cruises from other ports did not allow jeans at dinner.

The poster from the Spirit didn't say one person one night see below:

" about what you’d expect from a dining room serving a thousand people. Shorts were prohibited in the evening in the Windows dining room, but permitted in the Garden dining room. The Garden dining room was much smaller and filled up quickly each night, probably due to the more relaxed dress code."

Yes they did just start up in Boston a month ago now and she did come from N.O. I remember the Houston sailings allowed jeans due to where they departed from.

We have been three years in a row on Majesty and one of the MDR's they always allowed jeans for dinner. We were surprised since this was not what we thought it should be but we went along with the flow a few nights.

The poster from the Spirit didn't say one person one night see below:

" about what you’d expect from a dining room serving a thousand people. Shorts were prohibited in the evening in the Windows dining room, but permitted in the Garden dining room. The Garden dining room was much smaller and filled up quickly each night, probably due to the more relaxed dress code."

Yes they did just start up in Boston a month ago now and she did come from N.O. I remember the Houston sailings allowed jeans due to where they departed from.

We have been three years in a row on Majesty and one of the MDR's they always allowed jeans for dinner. We were surprised since this was not what we thought it should be but we went along with the flow a few nights.

I wasn't referring to that post, but obviously you're right, it does say that shorts were allowed in one dining room.

I did open my post by saying "Maybe I missed something"...so obviously I did. :D

I wonder if it depends on who the maitre d' or the hostess is? I was on the Majesty two weeks ago and it was a no no except for the handful of kids which is fine.

I was on Celebrity for a 2 nighter and had inquired when booking whether there'd be a formal or informal night and was told no, never on those short cruises, so my adult son did not bring a jacket, thinking both evenings he'd just wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. Lo and behold, the second day it said the dress for dinner was formal! The dining room was about 1/3 empty. We asked the maitre 'd and he said it's the captain's decision. Of course it could be different on NCL and maybe a communal decision by the CD and or maitre 'd and/or captain.

Likewise, when on Celebrity Mercury the captain opened the bridge to tours, apparently the first time since 9/11, and the first time in the X fleet. Again I was told that it's all up to the captain.

Interesting, isn't it?

This is what is posted on NCL's official website

Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

I would take that to mean that anyone can wear nice jeans. When we sailed on the Sky last October, one of the main dining rooms required pants, the other was fine with shorts. We even asked the hostess about it.

How long before people are allowed to eat in any dining room in their underwear, or without it for that matter, how about pajamas.

Casual is one thing but GEESH people is there no decorum left anywhere these days?

are these the same folks that show up to a funeral or a wedding in jeans or shorts? It doesn't matter how LOW you put the bar, someone has to try to push it lower.

LOWEST, COMMONEST, DENOMINATOR

How long before people are allowed to eat in any dining room in their underwear, or without it for that matter, how about pajamas.

Casual is one thing but GEESH people is there no decorum left anywhere these days?

are these the same folks that show up to a funeral or a wedding in jeans or shorts? It doesn't matter how LOW you put the bar, someone has to try to push it lower.

I'm with you. How much effort does it take to shower and put on clean casual cothing before going to dinner?

Do people still wear pajamas??

About every five days another thread is started on this subject-- men should just put on a pair of pants for dinner-- how difficult is that--even my sons in their twenties put pants on for dinner in a restaurant --- why can't people go along with this??

I am tired of reading about it.

Big Green

Archived