Say Goodbye to Richard Spacey..

Just got off the Freedom this morning. Richard Spacey announced that this cruise was his last on the Freedom. He will be going to the Oasis in December. Starting today, the new cruise director is Lee.... the Bingo Dingo. Will write review after we unpack! I wanna go back!!!

I'm really not surprised that Richard is going to Oasis. He's a top notch CD that will work well on a top notch ship.

Lee is a great guy, very funny. I'm sure he'll do fine on FOS.;)

I have to admit that I'm always amazed at those who can remember CD's names. Of the seven cruises we've been on, I really only recall one cruise director for some of the lines he used but, for the life of me I don't believe I could ever recall his name. While we might have enjoyed some better than others, I don't believe there's been a bad one in the lot. We've enjoyed all of them and each has had their own unique way of doing their job.

Phinn, when I read your title to this thread, you scared me to death. I thought you meant Richard was leaving RCL forever. I was so relieved to read he is only just changing ships. :D: He is my all time favorite CD, out of 22 cruises.

Phinn, when I read your title to this thread, you scared me to death. I thought you meant Richard was leaving RCL forever. I was so relieved to read he is only just changing ships. :D: He is my all time favorite CD, out of 22 cruises.

Sorry, didn't mean to frighten you. This is the first time I have seen Richard and I am so glad that I did. He truly is a great CD. You are also correct about Lee. He had us laughing as well. I'm sure folks will not be disappointed with him. He had a good trainer.

I was under the impression that Ken Rush would be CD on Oasis at launch.

Lee was Asst. CD to Becky Thompson when we were on Freedom in 2007. In addition to being funny and quick-witted, he was also very personable. I know that most of the staff is extremely busy, so I always appreciate it when one takes the time to have an actual conversation with you.

Congratulations to both Richard Spacey with his new job on the Oasis and Leigh "Bingo Dingo" on the Freedom. We interacted with Leigh on the Freedom in August 2007 and though he was great. We even recommended they make him aCruise Director, in our end of cruise comment card (I'm glad RCI read our comments :D) We'll be on the Freedom 5 July Western Caribbean cruise and are excited to see Leigh as the new CD.

I have to admit that I'm always amazed at those who can remember CD's names. Of the seven cruises we've been on, I really only recall one cruise director for some of the lines he used but, for the life of me I don't believe I could ever recall his name. While we might have enjoyed some better than others, I don't believe there's been a bad one in the lot. We've enjoyed all of them and each has had their own unique way of doing their job.

I agree with you totally.

At any rate, for those of you who like Richard, it's a great excuse to book the Oasis!

I use to say the same thing about the Cruise Director, and I've been on MANY cruises! ;) But, then I had Richard Spacey as my Cruise Director on Freedom! :eek: Oh my GOD! I will NEVER forget Richard Spacey! By the end of the week, all I had to do was see his face and I would break into laughter. He is one funny man! I hope he is still on Oasis by the time I get there! :D

I believe someone on the cruise critics board mentioned there would be two CD on the Oasis, Ken Rush and Richard Spacey - not sure if this is just a rumour, or wishful thinking:confused:

I believe someone on the cruise critics board mentioned there would be two CD on the Oasis, Ken Rush and Richard Spacey - not sure if this is just a rumour, or wishful thinking:confused:

Just off the Mariner and had Ken Rush as our CD. Ken said that there will only be 1 CD on the Oasis, not 2. He also said that he (Ken) would be taking out the Oasis 1st, and then handing over the reins to Richard Spacey after the Oasis has had a few sailings.

Never paid much attention to CD's until our Freedom Cruise this past November where we had the zany pleasure of having Richard as our Cruise Director. I never laughed so much and actually enjoyed him more then some of the shows. What a fun person and a very nice guy when we ran into him on the ship during the week.

I am sure those going on Oasis will be thrilled

I'm sure they are too.

Just unlucky for us upcoming Freedom cruisers. Best of luck to him though. He has a tall task ahead of him. I can't imagine the work that goes into taking out a new cruise ship, especially a ship like Oasis.

Is there any word on how good his replacement is? I wonder if he is just temporary, because I find it hard to believe they would throw a first time CD onboard one of their largest, most populated ships. I'd figure they might work them in on a smaller ship before promoting them to a larger ship.

Or maybe not?

Have you never seen Richard in person? You could never tell that Freedom was his first. He will have no problem with Oasis. He was just on Freedom.... the biggest class out there..... why not go up from there?

The bingo dingo will be his replacement.

Have you never seen Richard in person? You could never tell that Freedom was his first. He will have no problem with Oasis. He was just on Freedom.... the biggest class out there..... why not go up from there?

The bingo dingo will be his replacement.

Reread the post.

I'm not talking about Richard. I know how good he is. I'm talking about his replacement :rolleyes:

Congratulations to both Richard Spacey with his new job on the Oasis and Leigh "Bingo Dingo" on the Freedom. We interacted with Leigh on the Freedom in August 2007 and though he was great. We even recommended they make him aCruise Director, in our end of cruise comment card (I'm glad RCI read our comments :D) We'll be on the Freedom 5 July Western Caribbean cruise and are excited to see Leigh as the new CD.

Barklee,

Which Freedom sailing were you on in 8/07? We were on the 8/26.

Will

Is there any word on how good his replacement is? I wonder if he is just temporary, because I find it hard to believe they would throw a first time CD onboard one of their largest, most populated ships. I'd figure they might work them in on a smaller ship before promoting them to a larger ship.

Or maybe not?

I'm sure the job requirements are greater than his current position, but Lee (Leigh?) has actually been on Freedom for sometime. He was serving when we sailed her in 2007 so he has had the chance to observe at least Richard Spacey and Becky Thompson in those roles. (not sure if anyone else has served as Freedom CD since he's been onboard.)

Archived