Say Goodbye to Richard Spacey..

I was under the impression that Ken Rush would be CD on Oasis at launch.

Lee was Asst. CD to Becky Thompson when we were on Freedom in 2007. In addition to being funny and quick-witted, he was also very personable. I know that most of the staff is extremely busy, so I always appreciate it when one takes the time to have an actual conversation with you.

We were on the August 2007 Freedom cruise with you. Frank and I renewed our vows on the ship :) I thought Becky was a great cruise director. Ken was on the Freedom last September 2008 and while he was okay, he was not Becky or Lee.

185187010_OnStairs2.jpg.78c85a8137138ed79c521f096b14f9fc.jpg

Lucky us. We are on the Oasis the 16th of January. Richard Spacey is one of my favorites. However, we just had Drew Devine on the Monarch. He is the closest I have seen next to Richard.

I agree 100% about Drew. We've had him on Mariner and Monarch and he's very good. He's changing things on Monarch so that it's starting to remind us a little of Mariner.

I have to admit that I'm always amazed at those who can remember CD's names. Of the seven cruises we've been on, I really only recall one cruise director for some of the lines he used but, for the life of me I don't believe I could ever recall his name. While we might have enjoyed some better than others, I don't believe there's been a bad one in the lot. We've enjoyed all of them and each has had their own unique way of doing their job.

I only remember two CD out of all the cruises I have been on.

1. Ken Rush - becase DW and I can't stand him and avoid him like the plague.

2. Richard Spacey - because he was the funniest - most memorable.

Glad to know Richrad will be on the Oasis.

I have to admit that I'm always amazed at those who can remember CD's names. . . . . . While we might have enjoyed some better than others, I don't believe there's been a bad one in the lot. We've enjoyed all of them and each has had their own unique way of doing their job.

Same here! No really bad ones, but the cruise director does not make or mar our cruise.

On our first cruise, we did not even know there was such a thing as a cruise director. We called him "that announcer guy."

The only one we remember was one whose false-looking smile never left his face, known to us as "The ever-smiling James."

Same here! No really bad ones, but the cruise director does not make or mar our cruise.

On our first cruise, we did not even know there was such a thing as a cruise director. We called him "that announcer guy."

The only one we remember was one whose false-looking smile never left his face, known to us as "The ever-smiling James."

If you ever have Richard Spacey, you won't forget him. Type in his name on youtube.com & you will find some very interesting stuff.

We just returned from Freedom on Sunday. The CD was Allen Brooks...He was the BEST CD we have ever had! His antics and comments kept us laughing the whole week and he certainly made the cruise enjoyable! I am usually not one to care about the CD...but Allen was a great asset to the ship staff!

We just returned from Freedom on Sunday. The CD was Allen Brooks...He was the BEST CD we have ever had! His antics and comments kept us laughing the whole week and he certainly made the cruise enjoyable! I am usually not one to care about the CD...but Allen was a great asset to the ship staff!

We also enjoyed Allen Brooks for the first time a couple of weeks ago. He did the absolute best Love & Marriage we've ever seen.

I was under the impression that Ken Rush would be CD on Oasis at launch.

Lee was Asst. CD to Becky Thompson when we were on Freedom in 2007. In addition to being funny and quick-witted, he was also very personable. I know that most of the staff is extremely busy, so I always appreciate it when one takes the time to have an actual conversation with you.

Ken Rush was on the Inaugural for the Oasis Dec 12, 2009. He probably will soon leave the Oasis and go to the Allure when it launches. Don't really care for Ken Rush but everyone has their likes and dislikes. There is a CD for everyone, you just have to keep cruising on Royal Caribbean and get the meet others.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, see you on a cruise at a Meet and Mingle somewhere.

Irene & Miles

We also enjoyed Allen Brooks for the first time a couple of weeks ago. He did the absolute best Love & Marriage we've ever seen.

Totally agree...I think Alan Brooks is great. Very personable and funny too and so much more approachable and SOBER than Ken Rush. :D

Totally agree...I think Alan Brooks is great. Very personable and funny too and so much more approachable and SOBER than Ken Rush. :D

I am still trying to figure out how Ken Rush got the title of RCI's best. I have not cruised with Alan but Richard Spacey is really good. Most CD's remind me of used car salesmen but Richard was very good.

• 1 year later...
Have you never seen Richard in person? You could never tell that Freedom was his first. He will have no problem with Oasis. He was just on Freedom.... the biggest class out there..... why not go up from there?

The bingo dingo will be his replacement.

Now Lee is Cruise Director on the Explorer of the Seas. Both he and Richard is great!!

Just got off the Freedom this morning. Richard Spacey announced that this cruise was his last on the Freedom. He will be going to the Oasis in December. Starting today, the new cruise director is Lee.... the Bingo Dingo. Will write review after we unpack! I wanna go back!!!

Lee did not impress me at all, Richard was a great CD, Lee was at our meet and mingle and seemed pretty subdued.

thmingle9.jpg

The Bingo dingo

I have to admit that I'm always amazed at those who can remember CD's names. Of the seven cruises we've been on, I really only recall one cruise director

I was the same way till our Freedom Cruise of 08. I don't remember the CD's name on our 09 cruise on Navigator and only remembered Ricky from our 2010 cruise on Majesty because it was our 2nd time.

Unfortunately, I think that the title of this thread, which was started almost 2years ago, is going to give the casual reader the impression that R.S. is leaving Oasis or RCI.

However, I really only remember 2 CDs. They happen to be Richard Spacy and Mike S. because they are the only two that ever impressed me. The rest seemed to either have little talent or were very stuck on themselves or both.

The old post title got my attention this morning. Glad I looked at the date of the first post.

My first cruises I didn't even know what or who was the CD....cause they never caught my attention. My first cruise on RCI was the Liberty. James Andrew was the first time I realized how having a good CD enhances the shows and the cruise experience.

Then came Richard Spacey. Wow, my family fell in love with him on the Freedom. They were so happy to have him again on the Oasis. His act was even better.

Having just returned from Majesty. Dave Chapman was a totally boring.

I have to admit that I'm always amazed at those who can remember CD's names. Of the seven cruises we've been on, I really only recall one cruise director for some of the lines he used but, for the life of me I don't believe I could ever recall his name.

I agree.

To me, the CDs remind me too much of yuckster Top-40 DJs. Clearly, I'm in the minority and they're doing a great job since the CDs (Spacey above all) are the most talked about and appreciated RCI employees on here, but their brand of humor is not my flavor at all.

"Three, four, five, four, three, four, four, four, five, four, five, four, five, five, five, four, four, three, four, five, four, three, four, three... for a total score of 4.17! Everyone give a big hand to Mike from New Jersey!"

I have to say, this thread got me. Didn't realize it was 2 years old until I read several posts. Curious as to why it would be resurrected? :confused:

But the only reason I remember a CD's name is if they impressed me. Either one way or the other. Remember 5 CD's names from my RCCL cruises. 4 because they were excellent and enhanced my cruises in a positive way. Those would be Richard Spacey, Allan Brooks, Clodaugh O'Connor and Matt Baker (old school, I know.) The 5th would be my most recent CD on the Enchantment, John Blair. The pits. Obviously doesn't say much for the others.

Tripadvisor, which is in the same "family" as Cruise Critic, has a policy of closing threads that have been idle for over six months. Probably a good idea . . . :cool:

I'd endorse such a policy especially when most of the threads in question contribute little or no new or valuable information.:cool:

Archived