Suite question

OK, I hope I don't start another flame war here regarding what suite passengers should and should not get.

I have a cruise booked on LOS in a GS and I am still in front of the deposit date. I paid the extra for the cabin with the intention of using the perks that come with it. I am not some rich snob looking to show how I am better than everyone else but the new perks did factor into my decision to spend more of my hard earned money on this trip. Also, I am taking a friend who is a first time RCI cruiser. So I have two questions:

First and most importantly: am I going to take a load of *hit from my fellow passengers for using those perks? Should I consider downgrading?

Second: I would like to avoid having to ask when I get there: is there a suite check-in line? How do I find it when I get to the terminal in Miami?

Jake

OK, I hope I don't start another flame war here regarding what suite passengers should and should not get.

I have a cruise booked on LOS in a GS and I am still in front of the deposit date. I paid the extra for the cabin with the intention of using the perks that come with it. I am not some rich snob looking to show how I am better than everyone else but the new perks did factor into my decision to spend more of my hard earned money on this trip. Also, I am taking a friend who is a first time RCI cruiser. So I have two questions:

First and most importantly: am I going to take a load of *hit from my fellow passengers for using those perks? Should I consider downgrading?

Second: I would like to avoid having to ask when I get there: is there a suite check-in line? How do I find it when I get to the terminal in Miami?

Jake

Who cares what people say? It's your money and your vacation.....take advantage of the perks without apology. Enjoy!

Who cares what people say? It's your money and your vacation.....take advantage of the perks without apology. Enjoy!

I won't care. OTOH, she probably will which is my bigger concern.

Why would you feel guilty to take advantages of suite perks that you are paying for:confused:Don't kid yourself....most all would sail in nothing but suites if they could afford to;)No one is going to bother you....go and enjoy.

Yes...when you go to check in you will see 2 lines, just head for the one that say's suite passengers.

Jake

Enjoy the trip:)

Jake

I think most people will be too busy enjoying their own cruise to pay much attention to what other passengers do or don't do. Don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise, your way!!!

As far as checking in - there is usually a sign for the suite passengers directing them to their check-in line!!

I won't care. OTOH, she probably will which is my bigger concern.

I can understand your concern but I really don't think anybody will say anything. I've never encountered that or heard of that from anyone else. Like someone else said, no one will know unless you tell them.

I can understand your concern but I really don't think anybody will say anything. I've never encountered that or heard of that from anyone else. Like someone else said, no one will know unless you tell them.

:confused: what concern...there is no concern

We were in a GS in January and loved it! No issues with anything or anyone.

Have a wonderful cruise. We'll be back in a GS as soon as I find another good deal!:D

Kathy

:confused: what concern...there is no concern

The OP responded saying his concern was for his guest who has never sailed before. I can understand his concern for her, but I don't believe there will be a problem.:)

The OP responded saying his concern was for his guest who has never sailed before. I can understand his concern for her, but I don't believe there will be a problem.:)

I didn't read anything that way...all the OP's questions were "I":confused:but in any case there are no concerns...just enjoy the perks:):):)

OK...I see post #4 now

Go and enjoy. I also booked a Grand Suite for a Med cruise next year ( 2010) primarily because of the extra perks....we are neither rich nor snobbish....but we did so because this is our 30th anniversary, a very special occaision. And I look forward to meeting and enjoying the company of others who may be booked in the smallest and least expensive inside cabin, or any cabin at all. We have the right attitude.

Also booked this suite because I have a small case of claustrophobia, and enjoyed an Alaskan cruise, but felt very constricted in the cabin.:)

On some other threads people have complained about Suite Guests who "flaunt" their status, calling themselves VIP's and such. There's a big difference between what people will say and do on this board, versus any trouble they'll actually raise when they have to look at you. Enjoy every penny of your hard earned vacation. Maybe someday I'll join you in those reserved deck chairs, but until then, you can be sure, I won't resent you. :)

Jake

As a fellow suite passenger, just enjoy yourself and have a great time. No one will have the *alls to say something to you once on board, they've merely voiced their concern on CC. DH & are in no way snobs, nor do we flaunt, but I'll be dammed if some ignorant folk would make me feel like dirt for utilizing what is my right to utilize!

Enjoy...the LOS is beautiful!!

Like everyone has said enjoy it! And yes, there is a special check in (its for suite and C&A members above platinum).

That said, when we were on Jewel in April the key cards/sea pass for guests in Junior Suites and up clearly indicated in large letters on the card (and they were different colors based on your level of suite) that you were in a Jr Suite, Grand Suite, etc. Not sure if that is Jewel specific but our sea passes were clearly marked.

Thanks for the responses. They were what I figured but I just wanted to see if anyone would (dare?) pipe up. I am really looking forward to this trip as its the first real vacation for me in over 2 years.

Jake

PS Thanks to whoever added the "paranoia" tag :)

Just returned from Alaska on SOS in a GS Aft and I have to say it was great. No one knew unless we were asked or in the Concierge Lounge. We enjoyed the space and little surpise plates of goodies every now and then!

Hope you enjoy!

Congrats on the Suite! Although there has been a number of blatherings about suite envy on the boards, hopefully most of those disenchanted people should be cruising on Princess as promised. We feel that the suites are wonderful for us. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:D

P.S. Now if you booked a suite on Princess you may encounter some irate people.

How does the passenger sitting next to you in a bar know you are in a suite, More importantly, why do you think they even care. When in a restaurant, do you look at the person at the next table and wonder about the type of car they drive or the size of their house? I don’t, do you? Further, does that person turn to you and tell you the size of their home. I hope not!

I’ve sailed over 40 times and have traveled extensively and would NEVER care if a person wants to pay more for upgraded accommodations. When traveling with others many have fewer or more perks in their travel plans, you simply adjust. You are not joined at the hip and can certainly enjoy the perks that are important to you.

As for the suite line, often if you are sailing with just one other person or couple not eligible for the suite ( or D, same line) line, the staff may let you both wait in the suite line together. If you arriive at port early, there will no NO LINES so it won't matter. If this is not the case, and you want to board together, you can either go through the suite line and wait for them, or simply wait in the general line together.

M

Are there perks for a junior suite? If you have one junior suite booked and a D1 balcony room booked, do you need to split into two lines at the port for checkin?

No, Junior Suite does not count as a Suite. It's Grand Suite and above. :) In some terminals, they do allow the JS guests into the same VIP check in line as the suite guests. But that's it.

Jake - no, the only "perk" where you can see the difference between suite and non-suite is in the "VIP seats" at the pool. I have been in a GS and I have said that I probably wouldn't use the reserved pool seats because I wouldn't want to feel on display, if that makes sense. ;)

Other than that, no difference. The other passengers will have no idea who is in a suite.

No, no one will even KNOW you're in a suite, unless you tell them!

There is a clearly marked "suite check-in" line in the Port of Miami....just get in the line!

Enjoy your GS!

No one will know........except when you are in the line that is CLEARLY MARKED??? :D :D

Sorry.......thought this was funny, just having a little fun!! :)

Go and enjoy your suite and all the perks that go along with it. I have sailed in a JS once but never had the opportunity to sail in a full suite. Maybe someday when the kids are out of college, but for now no.

I think the general feel on this board is that if you pay for the extras use them and don't feel guilty. Where the rub comes in is when those in the suite 'shout it out' that they are in a suite and therefore should be the first in line, not to have to wait, etc and make the rest of us feel like we don't deserve to be there. Am I thrilled with the reserved seating, no, but hey as long as I can get a seat somewhere I am fine and with the latest news that the deck patrol is out and enforcing rules, I am happy :D.

Bottom line, enjoy your cruise and all it provides to you!

We booked an owners suite for our upcoming cruise. I have to admit, I am looking forward to the perks! Not being one to "rub it in your face", I did warn my kids though that this was a special thing for their first cruise and that we were lucky enough to be able to afford that level of cabin. I don't think that my kids would be the kind to brag and expect things because they've never seen us do it, but I figure it doesn't hurt to reinforce our beliefs.

DH and I booked a suite on Celebrity - complete with butler - for our 20th anniversary. That hooked me and now I'm totally spoiled!! It really the only way to go, but the big downside is now it will take me twice as long to save up for that level on all our cruises whenever they may be!!

Enjoy your suite and all the perks that go with it. You worked hard and saved up for this - so no one should make you feel guilty because of it. If they try, then they have the problem.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Well, I'm not rich but I am a snob so I flashed my gold seapass card around as much as possible. But no one seemed in the least bit interested, including the staff. Very disappointed that people were not in awe of me.:D;):p

Archived