What would you do??

Which cruise would you chose to do?? Keep in mind this is a HONEYMOON:D cruise!!

Option #1:

7 night

port canaveral

August 15, 2010

We have been to the ports before

3 ports

Option #2

7 night

san juan

august 15th

All new ports

5 ports

$1000+ cheaper

Any other time of year and it would be a no brainer (we would go with option #2!!) however we are concerned with the hurricanes and departure port.

What would you do??

Option 2 considering that the two sailings are the same dates. Which ever sailing you take if there's bad weather in the Caribbean that week, you'll probably hit some of it, and it's impossible to know where exactly the bad weather will be. Plus $1,000 cheaper??? :eek: That's a lot of drinks and bingo if you're stuck on the ship for bad weather, lol.

Which cruise would you chose to do?? Keep in mind this is a HONEYMOON:D cruise!!

Option #1:

7 night

port canaveral

August 15, 2010

3 ports

Option #2

7 night

san juan

august 15th

All new ports

5 ports

$1000+ cheaper

Any other time of year and it would be a no brainer (we would go with option #2!!) however we are concerned with the hurricanes and departure port.

What would you do??

Hurricanes can strike Florida, too. We have done the AOS out of San Juan 3 times (and doing our 4th in August) - always traveled in hurricane season and never had a problem. We get insurance and fly in a few days early (the latter may be an option with the wedding the day before). You should take the cruise you MOST want to take, hope for the best and try and plan for the worst.

I'd also say it depends on the type of honeymoon you want.

If you just want to spend more time with each other I'd go for option 1. You can get off the ship at the different ports if you want; however, since you have already been there it might not be a big deal.

If your thought of a honeymoon is to experience new cities with each other go with 2.

For ours...we talked about what some of the cities we both wanted to see and do things in. I don't think the alone factor even entered our heads, but I know it does for others.

I have cruised during hurricane season. If you hit one; although the water may be a bit rocky, the captain will maneuver you around them...you might lose a port though or have 1 replaced.

Option #1:

7 night

port canaveral

August 15, 2010

3 ports

Option #2

7 night

san juan

august 15th

All new ports

5 ports

$1000+ cheaper

What would you do??

First, CONGRATULATION'S on getting Married.....!!!sHa_woohoo.gif

I too am cruising in August, down to Bermuda. And, I have been on four cruises in October also, when hurricanes can also happen. So far, we have been lucky. Although, each time we pack for a cruise in hurricane "season" I tell my DH to be prepared (just in case!!!) to go to Cananda.......sFl_canada2.gif

What are all the ports for each cruise?

For my DH and I, I would DEFINITELY PICK Option #2. We both prefer MORE ports than less.

Would you have to fly to Florida or Puerto Rico either way?

Why would it be $1000 less? Are you still getting the same kind of cabin?

Option #1:

7 night

port canaveral

August 15, 2010

3 ports

Option #2

7 night

san juan

august 15th

All new ports

5 ports

$1000+ cheaper

What would you do??

Option 2 with out a doubt if it is a southern carribean (which I assume it is). The ports are awsome and absolutely beautiful perfect places to visit for a honeymoon.

Mike

Option #2 sounds a little more appealing as it has new ports for you to discover and the Serenade is supposed to be a beautiful ship...I'll know for sure in January! :) The Freedom of the Seas has some extra fun things on there, but it's not going to be as intimate and romantic. I've also heard that Southern Caribbean is better during hurricane season, but I'm sure hurricanes could still affect the cruise.

Basically, as long as the airfare to San Juan doesn't make it more expensive than the other option, I would go with option #2.

Option #2.

I would take the Southern Caribbean ports anyday over the ports offered out of Florida. Plus I would think a cruise out of San Juan would have less children then those out of Florida. The price reduction is a bonus.

You don't have to do full day excursions at all 5 ports. You can do some half day excursions or throw in a few beach days to make it a nice, relaxing vacation.

Either way you are cruising during hurricane season so wheter you go out of San Juan or Florida is irrelevent.

We cruised out of San Juan on the AOS, and folks made it a point say that Aruba & Curacao (2 ports on our itinary) are considered to be out of the "hurricane belt" and seldom get affected. YMMV.

I agree with the rest of the posters, go with Option 2. Getting to either Florida or San Juan can be tricky during hurricane season, but once you leave you are less likely to have issues going out of San Juan.

#2 - absolutely. The southern ports are SO MUCH nicer.

If you go to St. Thomas, I'd highly recommend taking the ferry over to St. John. Don't just go to Trunk Bay, do some advance research and pick a trail to walk on. My BF and I did the Leinster Bay Trail. A very brief walk landed us on a nearly deserted beach where we found ourselves swimming with the sea turtles. They were a little wary, but tolerated us swimming along with them. It was the experience of a lifetime.

St. John is 3/4 protected park land so you'll find a host of beaches with no one there. Very romantic!! A GREAT honeymoon location!

Here's a good reference: http://www.seestjohn.com/trails.html

Ditto.. ditto... with option #2.

I think it would be more enjoyable to discover NEW ports together! Since you have already been to the ports in option 1 it may not seem as "special" for your honeymoon. "Been there done that" kind of scenario.

Either one will be romantic as you are on your honeymoon, afterall. :) Congratulations!

This would be a no-brainer for us. Option 2 all the way! We definitely prefer the Southern Caribbean ports to all other itineraries. Those ports have something for everyone...beautiful beaches, great sightseeing, fun excursions. Aruba and Curacao have been our favorites of all the ports we've visited (followed closely by Barbados and Antigua).

As for the hurricane risk, you are going to have it no matter which of those you choose, so just buy insurance and pick the cruise you really want. I recently heard that 2009 will be a milder hurricane season than in past years, so you are probably going to be okay BUT...better safe than sorry!

Congratulations!

Option 2. Been on one southern cruise and LOVED it - so much better than the Eastern or Western. The ports are beautiful and yes, Aruba and Curacao (along with Grenada and Barbados) usually don't get hit by hurricanes, but it has happened. (Found that out when we were in Grenada). Get insurance (though not thru the cruise line) just in case. A good place to check where to get insurance is the clarkhoward.com website. He touts vacation insurance all the time on his show.

Congratulations! Enjoy your Honeymoon!

Thank you for all your replys!:)

Option #2 is hands down the better cruise for us. My only concern is I have heard that if a hurricane hits we wont be able to leave san juan, however port canaveral is usually safe to leave from.

We hit 2 hurricanes on our last cruise (the cruise we got engaged on!) and we were redirected to other ports. It was still an incredible cruise! I'm not so worried about missing some ports, I am more concerned with not being able to leave peurto rico!:eek:

Thank you for all your replys!:)

Option #2 is hands down the better cruise for us. My only concern is I have heard that if a hurricane hits we wont be able to leave san juan, however port canaveral is usually safe to leave from.

We hit 2 hurricanes on our last cruise (the cruise we got engaged on!) and we were redirected to other ports. It was still an incredible cruise! I'm not so worried about missing some ports, I am more concerned with not being able to leave peurto rico!:eek:

I think you are worrying TOO MUCH.....!!!;)

Book your Honeymoon and ENJOY......!!!wed.gif

Cruising on a ship, in the ocean, ANYTIME in the year, a storm can pop up, you never know.

But, since you are so worried about it, have you thought about booking your Honeymoon at an All-Inclusive Resort? I am sure there are plenty of islands to pick from. :)

Yes, as a bride-to-be this is the last thing you should be worried about.

We flew into Miami back in 2005 during... I think it was Dennis. The flight was one of the worst I had had, and when we landed you could tell a hurricane had just hit it. There were ships that had left the day we got there and ours left on time.

"The" gown, music, registering... that should be what's on your mind. Talk with your fiance about what to do with the honeymoon and then have him take charge and do "all the work."

Trust me...before you know it you'll be called up to have your last dance at the reception, soooo....you should enjoy the engagement and not stress about too much....especially the vacation. :D

You need to look into airfare first before you chose one or the other. Airfares to Puerto Rico can be very expensive thus eliminating the price difference very quickly.

I agree, we got a great price on the AOS, well we thought so until, I looked into the airfare. That made the great price on the cruise turn quickly into an expensive vacation.

Archived