Best way to get off when in ports

naomee15

There is only 1 way off the ship and you have to check out. Unless you are part of a group it disperses pretty quick. If you wait a couple hours after docking that might help but people are coming and going all day and then you miss that amount of time in port. We don't like crowds either but it isn't really an issue unless you tender.

Have a geat cruise!

If you are in a FULL suite, you can get early disembark.

If ports where you are tied up, it is usually not a big deal getting off. Only time crowds or lines are an issue is when they have tenders.

I am actually amazed how many people can get off the ship in such a short amount of time with only one, or sometimes two gangways.

Of course, if you try to get off the very minute they open up, there will be a bit of a crown, but not bad.

Get off late, get back on early. :-)

But, as others note, it usually isn't much of a problem unless it's a "tender" port. However, I do recall one instance where there was a problem with their card scanners, so they had to note disembarking passengers on a clipboard. That was slow...

just listen to the annoucements...many times they will open a 2nd gangway. we stay out of the elevators and stairwells until the crowds pushes their way out.

in alaska, stairways in the mid sections were full all the way up to deck 7. we heard them announce the opening of a forward gangway..no crowds.

if you stay alert and listen, you can (usually) avoid the pushy crowds.

now tendering is a different matter all together.

Where conditions make it impossible for the ship to tie up alongside a pier, they use the ship's lifeboats to ferry passengers to and from shore. They call them tenders.

Where conditions make it impossible for the ship to tie up alongside a pier, they use the ship's lifeboats to ferry passengers to and from shore. They call them tenders.

Ahh, I see. Yikes. That sounds like it would take FOREVER. Thanks for clearing that up for me fin. :)

Sometimes they will contract with a local company that can take 250 pax at once and they have them coming and going all day. It usually does not take long at all and when you are done in port you can usually hop right on a tender and go back to the ship. Obviously docking is better but the only thing I really don't like about tendering is people that are on ann NCL excursion get priority.

Can someone explain "tender" to the newbie here?

I'm going on my first cruise next week, and I'm pretty curious...

Thanks.

Oh, and btw...this cracked me up:

Sometimes they will organize the tendering process by issuing colored tags to groups. So, for example, orange tags get to tender at 9:00, blue tags get to tender at 9:30, yellow at 10:00 etc. Of course if you're VIP, you get to tender off with the very first group. We were in Puerto Vallarta last cruise, and some groups didn't get off until 1:00. We were coming back from our excursion and they were just getting off.

We found the process to get on and off the boat to be super easy and very smooth. Except when we arrived in Victoria BC (on the Pearl). We were already late getting into port due to the cruise ship traffic we had to wait to leave, and then we had to wait for the ship to be cleared by customs. It took a while, and everyone was lined up in the stairwells, hallways, etc. Once the doors were actually opened the lines started moving pretty quick.

Archived