Anyone else miss the daily news onboard?

We were disappointed to find that they stopped producing the daily newspapers that were previously available in the library or the coffee shops onboard.

I guess it's a cost cutting measure, but I liked being able to keep a little in touch while away from home.

i miss them too...as does mom. she used to love doing the crosswords...i would get the US and British papers....(fun to see what other countries think about the good ole US of A!)

we had them once or twice in november, but not at all in Feb. Couldn't wait to get into a port to get SOME sort of newspaper!!!

Missed the daily news also. Another thing that seems to be missing is the port maps that they used to give out at the gangway or in your compass. Now they only seem to be available at the port shopping talks (can you say "Diamonds International")

We sailed 5 times this year and on every cruise I noted in our comment card how much we missed the daily news update. It is our understanding that Royal Carribean had to pay $400,000 per year for the link to the NY Times to print the news on the ship. I guess it was a cost savings to eliminate them. But we miss them too!

can we catch CNN, CBS or any of the news shows on TV?

They offer CNN, but it isn't the same as reading the paper.

They didn't have them last year on Legend. My husband was upset since he prefers to read his news. It was a nice surprise on our last cruise to find out that HAL not only still prints the paper but also delivers them to your door. :D

I really missed the newspapers this year too. Maybe the company could work out a better deal with another newspaper company (Chicago Tribune?!). I like to read them (Canadian, British, and American) on the balcony with a cup of tea. Many of our cruises are multi-cabin extended family cruises. We usually shared. CNN is nice, but I usually don't watch it at home, much less on a cruise. I don't care for their "version" of the news (semi-editorial at times). A newspaper is at "your time" - you choose when to read it or possibly reread it. The nation of why not. -- Why not buy your own paper on shore, Why not buy your own toiletries (unless you like feeling like you're in a public gym shower setting w/soap disp. on wall), Why not bring your own chocolates, Why not do my time dining and wait in line to get a table, Why not accept that you're no longer on a first class ship - it looks like one, but services are no longer, neither is the food OH I know = Why not check out HAL they have newspapers or Princess they have chocolates and toiletries (or at least had them last summer in Alaska. Now I get it - Why not try another line or lines if you want what you used to get on RCCL. I can't believe how I was suckered into being loyal. My next cruise (and probably last) with RCL will push me into Diamond. Some of my old Plat. and Gold booklets were worth more. I read the paper, nibbled on chocolate and took home toiletries (from Jr. Suite) and used them sparingly to help remember what I was saving for. Sorry I strayed, I'm in mourning for what I perceived that I've lost and angry that it is lost. Oh well, plenty of ships in the sea - I'll find a new love(er) who will be loyal to me as I am to him(cruise line).

RCI certainly isn't alone in this regard. Princess doesn't provide the daily paper either. I was pleasantly surprised on our HAL Christmas cruise that HAL still provides the paper and delivers it to your room, just like the old days. BTW, Royal Caribbean use to deliver it to your cabin too a long time ago. The problem I have with CNN is trying to catch the news without all the stuff in which I have no interest or waiting around for the ticker on ESPN to catch the score of the only game I care about.

Can't believe this has stopped. We were able to "stay in touch with the real world" while on our cruises. How sad. I'm sure there are some other things that could be cut back in order to keep the up-to-date news.

I miss it terribly. I used to take the news and the trivia and sit by the pool...killed a good 10 minutes. :(

I will miss my mornings drinking coffee and reading the paper while sitting on my balcony. :(

Where we really missed it was on our last trans-Atlantic cruise. CNN was a lot of repeats of the same news we saw four days before which was probably because we were in the middle of the ocean with no reception. Fox News equally as worthless. The swine flu epidemic started while we were cruising and we only got bits and pieces about how people were being quarantined, etc. When we got to Barcelona, we didn't know if we would be allowed into England for our transit to US or the US from England. We couldn't find a paper in English in the ports. It was like we were in a vacuum for 14 days.

Of course, husband was more interested in how the Rockets were doing and baseball scores (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Yes we really missed it on our April cruise.

Why not print something and post it behind a glass window for all to read as they pass by, then we will have some idea of the world news etc. I guess they want you to use the Internet $$ to find your news......

Yes we really missed it on our April cruise.

Why not print something and post it behind a glass window for all to read as they pass by, then we will have some idea of the world news etc. I guess they want you to use the Internet $$ to find your news......

As someone said on page one (and I can't verify the actual amount so who knows), it costs them $400,000 to have a contract with the NY Times to allow them to print the news. So I don't think they're saving money by not printing to save paper, it's about the contract. My guess is it's illegal to just print it off on their own.

Of course $400k is a drop in the bucket to RCI but then again, so was the cost of the pillow mints...and the "free" Johnny Rockets coupon...I could go on...but wont! :)

Yes, we missed the news on our last cruise too... Plus it forced us to spend at least a few "expensive" and slow minutes trying to get news on the laptop!!! Good idea to put this on the comment card so I must remember to do that :mad:

Archived