Anyone else miss the daily news onboard?

My DH was very disappointed on our 8 night cruise on the Independence in December when he was told no more papers. It was part of our daily routine to read all the Canadian/USA/UK news. He was hoping it was just the Indy but no luck on the Navigator in January nor April. :(

We are going on a 12 Med. cruise in August and I suspect he will be checking in the ports to see if any English papers are easily available.

Kathy:)

Here's what Mr. Goldstein (President & CEO) had to say about the situation (link below text) ... i can see their rationale but it doesn't mean I miss them less!

Elimination of the Daily Newspapers

This one probably hasn’t gotten as much attention as the preceding items, but I’m having so much fun I don’t want to stop. For many years we have printed and distributed summaries of daily news in English and other languages. Recently we discontinued this amenity on the basis that with internet-enabled ships and CNN and other stations on the stateroom televisions, our guests will source the news when and how they wish in more relevant ways. This saves a very significant amount of paper and once again allows us to re-purpose resources towards what we believe will be better and broader uses.

(LINK)

This one probably hasn’t gotten as much attention as the preceding items, but I’m having so much fun I don’t want to stop. For many years we have printed and distributed summaries of daily news in English and other languages. Recently we discontinued this amenity on the basis that with internet-enabled ships and CNN and other stations on the stateroom televisions, our guests will source the news when and how they wish in more relevant ways. This saves a very significant amount of paper and once again allows us to re-purpose resources towards what we believe will be better and broader uses.

(LINK)

I don't doubt the above but I think there's more to it than that. There's a HUGE difference between reading that piece of paper in a deck chair and having to sit inside somewhere and watch CNN and be at CNN's mercy. It's like the difference between reading the newspaper online and actually holding it.

We really hate that there is no news these days! Especially on transatlantics (which we do 2 times a year) when there is no tv news available and you can't go ashore to get a paper. Wake up RCCL.... we want a paper!!!!

They do have internet and TV aboard. Papers are going under on land...they're expensive and outdated. You can check your favorite paper online while aboard, and RCL gets paid when you do that. Anyone who actually reads the paper know the economy is in just a little bit of a slump right now, and that RCL is posting losses. If they have to give up some perks, the paper would be a good choice of things to cut back on.

They do have internet and TV aboard. Papers are going under on land...they're expensive and outdated. You can check your favorite paper online while aboard, and RCL gets paid when you do that. Anyone who actually reads the paper know the economy is in just a little bit of a slump right now, and that RCL is posting losses. If they have to give up some perks, the paper would be a good choice of things to cut back on.

We too missed The New York Times via fax when we were on the Independence of the Seas in February. I like to read (call be cerebral if you wish) while I am on the deck chair relaxing. I have no desire to get chunks of news from an overpriced and slow internet connection on the ship nor do I wish to sit in my cabin and watch news snippets on television.

It certainly won't make me switch cruise lines, but I for one don't think that it was a good choice of things to cut back. I was and still am disappointed.

Papers are going under because folks are content with reading news snippets on the computer or watching headline news. Combine that with generations coming up that don't seem to care about being informed about what is going on in our nation and world. Some of us like to dig into issues a little more deeply.

Well, poop! I liked picking it up in the morning on my way to eat. We would discuss the day's news that way. Also made a nice addition to my scrapbook after the cruise, too!

Theresa

I hate to disagree with so many informed people but one of the things I liked on my 9 day cruise was not knowing what was going on - whether at home with my grown children or in the world at large. It helped me feel I was really getting away from it all. Anyway, I usually read 2 or more books a week and I was so busy and had so much fun that I didn't read any!!

I miss it also, but I find it amusing how in this day and age where the newspaper is being fazed out by television and the internet we are complaining that we do not have a piece of paper to read. Is that a sign that we are all old fashioned. I know I still read a daily paper; mostly for the sports and obits. I guess my point is that RCI could be trying to stay attuned to the current generation. Good Sailing, Murf

I miss it also, but I find it amusing how in this day and age where the newspaper is being fazed out by television and the internet we are complaining that we do not have a piece of paper to read. Is that a sign that we are all old fashioned. I know I still read a daily paper; mostly for the sports and obits. I guess my point is that RCI could be trying to stay attuned to the current generation. Good Sailing, Murf
Of course they are. If they don't give you a paper to keep up with current events and CNN/FOX aren't working, then you are forced to use their internet access at $.50/minute with a SLOW connection speed to get your news fix.

This subject is news to me. My husband will be upset that he does not have his paper to read daily. We had it on our cruise last summer and that was something he looked forward to.

CNN - all I ever saw was Nancy Grace and her "Tot Mom" show; I used to love to watch her but she has now been a year on one subject.

Internet charges add up too fast to keep up with the news in that manner!

Oh well, sign of the changing times.:rolleyes:

Here's what Mr. Goldstein (President & CEO) had to say about the situation (link below text) ... i can see their rationale but it doesn't mean I miss them less!

(LINK)

I wonder if HAL's touted 'partnership' with the NYT feeds into it at all? But I agree -- there's only so much CNN/FNC you can watch without feeling like you're in Groundhog Day. :p

I hate to disagree with so many informed people but one of the things I liked on my 9 day cruise was not knowing what was going on - whether at home with my grown children or in the world at large. It helped me feel I was really getting away from it all. Anyway, I usually read 2 or more books a week and I was so busy and had so much fun that I didn't read any!!

Looks like we are in the minority here, but I do not miss it at all. I do not need to read, hear or see the "news" (or at least what passes for news these days) for my seven day vacation. The world will still be there when we get back & if it is not, then we are sure glad our last days were on a cruise ship! ;) The whole world can get along without me for a week and vice versa. I like the feeling of being out of touch and away from the world's problems for a week.

And yes, I do stay informed on current affairs and world events when I am not on vacation. To me, the definition of vacation is to "get away" from all that for a while.

I guess you can count me as one who did not miss the daily newpaper. We just returned from a cruise less than two weeks ago and I did not realize they were not available until I read it here on CC. Admittedly when I saw the daily news I would pick it up and give it a read however, didn't see it and didn't think about it. When at sea I tend to turn off the outside world and worry about more important things like what's on the menu tonight and what's the entertainment;). Besides I now know everything about the Nelsons!! Seriously I do keep up with the bare essentials, just some headlines from the tube, but that's it.

I cruise to get away from the depressing headlines. It is a treat to get ashore at home and catch up. Last year after a beautiful E Med B3B found we had a new President.

CNN broadcasts Larry King. No wonder the World despise us.

I wholeheartedly agree, especially for transatlantic (ok pacific too) sailings where you don't get good tv reception for several days at a time.

On our last TA sailing, we were in flight to Barcelona for embarkation when the Mumbai Hotel attacks broke out, then while aboard the Obama Senate seat for sale story broke followed by Madoff scandal a few days before we disembarked.

I couldn't imagine not following those key stories as they developed.

Perhaps it's because I'm in my late 30s and still working, that I want to be informed but for me, once a day is fine. doesn't need to be 24/7, or breaking headlines....

I think this is sad for transatlantic sailings or any sailings with many "sea days" in a row. The only chance for news is a repetitive CNN or the costly Internet, which I'll use on the TA next April but won't be happy about it....

For shorter cruises (especially Caribbean and West Coast US) with many stops you could always pick up a paper at a port, I'm sure most have some US paper available and you'll get more info anyway. AND for those who say they want it in the AM...as I recall those small "papers" provided by RCCL were very brief and not necessarily same day news....so buy a paper at your port stop and save it for the time you are used to reading what RCCL used to provide...just a thought....

We were disappointed to find that they stopped producing the daily newspapers that were previously available in the library or the coffee shops onboard.

I guess it's a cost cutting measure, but I liked being able to keep a little in touch while away from home.

When we asked they told us it was to save paper???? but we still got sheets and sheets of offers evey day advertising the Spa etc... which all ended up in the bin.

When we asked they told us it was to save paper???? but we still got sheets and sheets of offers evey day advertising the Spa etc... which all ended up in the bin.

I noticed on our recent trans-Atlantic cruise that we got less of the flyers in our Compass. The usual from the art auction (which I suspect they supply) and the have page strip of the "specials" was about it.

Tucker in Texas

Archived