SD2 Fall '10 Transatlantic Crossing

ctbjr1309

My travel agent is cruising somewhere in Alaska so I was thinking/hoping I was safe from having to make final payment at least for another day or two. However, I just had an email from him saying it's time to pay up.

The good news is that just the other day we got this very nice American Express Rebate Card in the mail compliments of my friends in Washington, DC. It seems that becoming owners of ENERGY STAR qualified appliances a few months ago has paid off for us thanks to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

So, we're paid in full and ready for action!

Whatever you do, don't get Dish! It's DirecTV he wants.

We do indeed have DirecTV ... blame it on the blondeness!

DJ's DH is still trying to figure out how he is going to watch the Penn State vs. Ohio State game while we are crossing the Atlantic:eek:

DJ's DH is still trying to figure out how he is going to watch the Penn State vs. Ohio State game while we are crossing the Atlantic:eek:

The answer to this is very simple: He won't and thus shouldn't spend any more time trying to figure that out.

However, I'm sure that if he is extraordinarily desperate and feeling quite prosperous he could call Mrs. TOYBAR (or another like minded Penn State or OSU fan) from the ship and get a play by play by phone. At the rate charged for satellite phone calls that should cost no more than $2700.

The answer to this is very simple: He won't and thus shouldn't spend any more time trying to figure that out.

However, I'm sure that if he is extraordinarily desperate and feeling quite prosperous he could call Mrs. TOYBAR (or another like minded Penn State or OSU fan) from the ship and get a play by play by phone. At the rate charged for satellite phone calls that should cost no more than $2700.

I suspect he will be working on the upgrade to the Slingbox ... but that runs over the internet connection, which hopefully has been upgraded since our last voyage on SD:p

I also suspect that the play-by-play from Mrs. TOYBAr will be slanted in a different direction than what he will want to hear:D

I suspect he will be working on the upgrade to the Slingbox ... but that runs over the internet connection, which hopefully has been upgraded since our last voyage on SD:p

I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure that the internet connection won't be fast enough to support a Slingbox or other video connection. It would be nice if it did, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure that the internet connection won't be fast enough to support a Slingbox or other video connection. It would be nice if it did, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If I remember correctly - while the connection was faster in June, it still took ZQ Vol quite a long time to download some large files needed for work. I wasn't able to launch a video, so I think ctbjr is correct (as usual when it comes to SD info).

FT

If I remember correctly - while the connection was faster in June, it still took ZQ Vol quite a long time to download some large files needed for work. I wasn't able to launch a video, so I think ctbjr is correct (as usual when it comes to SD info).

FT

Sorry but even though I am not joining you guys I have to join in. The Internet speed is really nice now. I had no problem at all with uploading large files (it was almost as fast as at home), but I did have problems with facebook (at least with my games). Without getting too technical I suspect that certain ports are blocked or throttled way back so that bandwidth is not killed by game playing and things like that. Streaming video using something like sling box is bandwidth intensive and is likely to be frowned upon as it will disrupt everyone's use of the Internet. Skype did work fine. I suggest that DJ'sDH either video the game for viewing upon return or watch one of the play by play animations that are available on the Internet and will not eat up bandwidth.

Sorry but even though I am not joining you guys I have to join in. The Internet speed is really nice now. I had no problem at all with uploading large files (it was almost as fast as at home), but I did have problems with facebook (at least with my games). Without getting too technical I suspect that certain ports are blocked or throttled way back so that bandwidth is not killed by game playing and things like that. Streaming video using something like sling box is bandwidth intensive and is likely to be frowned upon as it will disrupt everyone's use of the Internet. Skype did work fine.

Thanks for the detailed clarification, zqvol. I'm looking forward to experiencing the enhanced internet speed. I thought though that I had heard that Skype had been blocked and I'm glad to hear that it hadn't at least as of when you guys were on board. Did you hear any discussion about the impending demise of Skyp on SeaDream?

Well all I know is that DJ's DH passed his first test without the Blackberry as his DIED on Sunday which meant no BB access for him while we were on STT this week. He did have access to his email via his laptop and I let him carry around my BB so he didn't feel so lost:eek:

Heading back to NC this afternoon and DH's new BB should be waiting for him in the office tomorrow before he leaves on Monday for a week of travel.

We are counting on being able to Skype DD but we will have to wait and see ...

Well all I know is that DJ's DH passed his first test without the Blackberry as his DIED on Sunday which meant no BB access for him while we were on STT this week. He did have access to his email via his laptop and I let him carry around my BB so he didn't feel so lost:eek:

Heading back to NC this afternoon and DH's new BB should be waiting for him in the office tomorrow before he leaves on Monday for a week of travel.

We are counting on being able to Skype DD but we will have to wait and see ...

Oh dear, oh my!!! I haven't been on CC in a few weeks, and I feel like I've missed an important meeting, and got assigned all the tasks!:(

Yes, I did survive a week without my blackberry...but DJ's was ALWAYS within sight, and she even let me hold it a few times...and I had free internet access in the room 24/7, so I don't feel that properly prepares me for the treacherous journey ahead:eek:

Regarding internet speed, slingbox, etc... Slingbox WILL be up and running for this journey - if it works or not is yet to be seen, but I'm going to give it the ol' college try!:cool:

On the PSU/OSU issue...I am an OSU (and Big Ten) fan all the time (except, of course, the dates we are on opposite sides of the pigskin). If Mrs. TOYBAR is willing/able to hook me up via alternative measures, I can suck it up and extend the olive branch, and watch the game from her (admittedly jaded) perspective.:D

Oh wait! No Sat phone! DANG!:p

Oh dear' date=' oh my!!! I haven't been on CC in a few weeks, and I feel like I've missed an important meeting, and got assigned all the tasks!:(

Yes, I did survive a week without my blackberry...but DJ's was ALWAYS within sight, and she even let me hold it a few times...and I had free internet access in the room 24/7, so I don't feel that properly prepares me for the treacherous journey ahead:eek:

Regarding internet speed, slingbox, etc... Slingbox WILL be up and running for this journey - if it works or not is yet to be seen, but I'm going to give it the ol' college try!:cool:

On the PSU/OSU issue...I am an OSU (and Big Ten) fan all the time (except, of course, the dates we are on opposite sides of the pigskin). If Mrs. TOYBAR is willing/able to hook me up via alternative measures, I can suck it up and extend the olive branch, and watch the game from her (admittedly jaded) perspective.:D

Oh wait! No Sat phone! DANG!:p[/quote']

Yes, DJ's DH did past the first test in terms of no BB coverage ... although it was for just 4 days in the USVI:p

Closing in on 80 days!!

When I arrived into the office this morning an e-mail was waiting for me - seems my office is schedule to move while I'm in the middle of the Atlantic - so not only do I have to clear my desk to escape - I have to put 10 years in boxes before I leave . . . for a brief moment I thought should I pay the cancellation fee? Naa -- just work some late nights and throw it all in . . . .

FT

When I arrived into the office this morning an e-mail was waiting for me - seems my office is schedule to move while I'm in the middle of the Atlantic - so not only do I have to clear my desk to escape - I have to put 10 years in boxes before I leave . . . for a brief moment I thought should I pay the cancellation fee? Naa -- just work some late nights and throw it all in . . . .

FT

DJ's DH was in Sweden when they moved his office! As a veteran of two office moves when I actually had an office in a building, I think it is easier NOT to be there for the move.

Just think how relaxed you will be to tackle those boxes after the Crossing!

Good decision, FT. You know it'll be worth it! And what would we do without you???

If FT didn't make it the spa would be emptier for sure! And perhaps there would be more champagne:p

Just think how relaxed you will be to tackle those boxes after the Crossing!

That sounds good, in theory...

After my last Crossing, I was so relaxed that I clipped our receptionist's car as I was maneuvering my car through the parking garage reflecting on what a wonderful trip I had just concluded. Needless to say, she didn't appreciate my state of relaxation at that point.

FT

Atta Girl FT. Somehow I just could not see you cancelling a SD voyage (especially a crossing) for something as trivial as work.:eek:

That sounds good, in theory...

After my last Crossing, I was so relaxed that I clipped our receptionist's car as I was maneuvering my car through the parking garage reflecting on what a wonderful trip I had just concluded. Needless to say, she didn't appreciate my state of relaxation at that point.

Yikes!! We want FT to be relaxed but we definitely don't want her bang up her new car!!

Atta Girl FT. Somehow I just could not see you cancelling a SD voyage (especially a crossing) for something as trivial as work.:eek:

Agreed Jim!

Yikes!! We want FT to be relaxed but we definitely don't want her bang up her new car!!

definitely agree - was quite traumatic handing it over to valet parking for the first time this weekend:eek: But it and I survived.

Back on topic -- have decided that if I don't have time to sort, organize, and pack up everything - just throw it all in the boxes as is and sort it all out when I get back. tough enough to get my work done and pack for two weeks - no way I can clean out my office!

FT

Archived